I know I know nobody has ever thought about this topic, but why did we pick Robinson over...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bottom line in these Hindsight deals, changing the Robinson pick means we don't get Donald.
And for that I say no thanks.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Bottom line in these Hindsight deals, changing the Robinson pick means we don't get Donald.
And for that I say no thanks.

Why would that change? His pick wouldn't have been affected. You could have packaged any number of picks to move up 5 spaces for Carr, and we'd have had plenty had we accepted a trade out of #2. Donald still would have been picked no matter what as he was very high on the draft board.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
...I can't see how any draft with Aaron Donald in it could possibly be considered a total fail lol.

You'd make an all time great hindsight GM btw

Two picks in one of the greatest deepest drafts in decades and they only hit on one? That would be a fail in my mind.

I am not sure how it is hindsight though. All of those players I named were my thoughts before the draft. One of the few top 15 players I didn't like was the two we picked. I would have missed on Donald, but I would have hit on the others. That was a can't miss draft. There are more than one potential HOFer in that top 15. I may have missed on Donald but could have had any combination of good-great players. I think almost any GM could have.

I hope Robinson gets his shit together and makes it an epic draft for the Rams. Donald, Joyner, and Gaines are already good picks. Alexander and Mason look like solid contributors and Mo could be better than we know, since he was so raw. If Robinson becomes the guy that they think he could be that would be one great draft. If not they really flubbed up IMO. That had to be the best situation for the Rams having two top 15 picks in one of the deepest most talent laiden drafts in years.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I studied the 2014 draft like no other. I slogged thru hundreds of hours of game film. I prayed the Rams would either draft Bortles, Watkins, or Khalil Mack, OR ( And this is what I really wanted!) I wanted the Rams to trade our # 2 down to get either WR. Mike Evans or O'dell Beckam Jr. plus a late first round pick. I loved the Aaron Donald pick ( I cheered, but I booed Robinson, even though Robinson is my last name. I am a Robinson. I slurred and booed my surname}

in 2014 Clowney and Robinson were picked 1 and 2. Can you spot the irony? After that Bortles, Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack, Jake Mathews, Mike Evans, Justin Gilbert (Bust so far), Anthony Barr, TE Eric Ebron, Taylor Lewan, Aaron Donald...

18 of the first 21 2014 draft picks rock! Except for #1 Clowney (Injuries could be the problem) ,
#2Robinson ( Project) and #8Justin Gilbert( The Cleveland Brown Curse).

Hate me, Tell me about 20/20 hindsight but I prayed hard in 2014 that we would trade #2 Robinson pick down for a 1st round "7-11" pick plus a late first rounder to a very early 2nd round pick. Then draft either Evans or Beckham , then BAP , then best available receiver. Why? Because the 2014 draft was/will be/ always will be the best draft ever for Wide Receivers! And we didn't draft ( I wasn't the only soul on RamsonDemand who thought along these lines) You know who you are. I'm look at you Mack.

We could have come out with these 3 picks in a row ( Mike Evans or O'dell Beckham Jr) , Aaron Donald, the either ( Brandon Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, or Jordan Mathews)....We would be in the playoffs!

Maybe you say, I'm Monday morning QB'ing. But I thought it was obvious. Trade down, then with our 1st 3 picks, Draft 2 WR's and BPA in 2014.

I screamed in pain when we drafted Robinson. Now Greg Robinson part of the Ramily, I accept him and hope for the best. Yet, I get depressed when thinking of what might have been.

A few of the Wide Receivers drafted in the first 2 rounds of 2014. Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, O'dell Beckham Jr. , Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, Jordan Mathews, Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks. I
How do any of those picks help fill the hole at LT? Nice players but the most obvious hole to fill in a draft that had several blue chip prospects was at LT, that had to be the priority.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would that change? His pick wouldn't have been affected. You could have packaged any number of picks to move up 5 spaces for Carr, and we'd have had plenty had we accepted a trade out of #2. Donald still would have been picked no matter what as he was very high on the draft board.
Because in hindsight I'm sure there are a bunch of teams that would have loved to take Donald, works both ways
Its the whole butterfly affect, if the Rams dont tkae Robinson at 2 you have no idea how the rest goes

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
No way they were taking Blake Bortles at #2. No way. I was all-in for either of Robinson or Matthews, unless Clowney didn't go #1. Although I'm always a massive proponent of trading down and picking up a #1 next year - I would probably have taken the Buffalo deal, although I'd have tried to get their 1st, 2nd and 2015 1st. Then take either Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin at 9, Donald at 13, and either Cedric Ogbuehi or DJ Humphries with Buffalo's pick in 2015.

But hindsight is what it is, and Robinson was a smart choice at the time. We'll see if he continues to develop.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Lots of elements to think about on this subject. so many different ideals on what would be or could be...... bottom line here,is we do not have a creditable NFL QB or a average starting OLT or a legit WR!

one member pointed out that half of the GRob contract is done so on that alone we have thus far really down on the score card and need a knock out in the third season with GRob.

Yes our OLT position was a big need but Fisher has Saffold ready to step in at any time in 2014 if they wanted him too. saffold has been the OL er to man up the OLT if it was to go into total fail mode.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Because in hindsight I'm sure there are a bunch of teams that would have loved to take Donald, works both ways
Its the whole butterfly affect, if the Rams dont tkae Robinson at 2 you have no idea how the rest goes

At least one of the premier OL picks would have been there on a trade down. Donald fell due to concerns on his size, it's a very strong likelihood that he'd have been there for our second pick.

All I'm saying is if someone says "we should do _____ in this situation" before the draft, and it turns out to have been a good choice compared to what was done, it's not hindsight. Maybe it's, "I told you so", but it's not hindsight.

Ram65

Legend
All the players drafted are only signed for four years so no team knows if they will resign them to another contract. I never liked the four year deals for 1st round picks.

I would be interested to see rankings of all the players taken in the first round today. I don't follow all the players but I know Khalil Mack and Rams Aaron Donald have had big impacts on their teams. First round QB Bortles has been impressive as has second round pick QB Carr. Jake Mathews had an off first year but improved in year two. Robinson has been slower to develop but showed improvement in the last 4 games or so. The jury is still out as to what Robinson will become.

Who knows what would have happened if the Rams picked different or made the trade with the Bills. It seemed to make sense to take Robinson to pair with Bradford and start that strong offensive line for a strong running game. Robinson was considered a great run blocker with limited pass blocking experience. Somehow I wanted the Rams to get Zack Martin even after the unexpected Donald pick. The Rams offensive line was a mess and needed all the help they could get. Rams were all in on Bradford and others which lead them to take Robinson.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At least one of the premier OL picks would have been there on a trade down. Donald fell due to concerns on his size, it's a very strong likelihood that he'd have been there for our second pick.

All I'm saying is if someone says "we should do _____ in this situation" before the draft, and it turns out to have been a good choice compared to what was done, it's not hindsight. Maybe it's, "I told you so", but it's not hindsight.
Not really.
For instance, Atlanta was looking for pass rush in that draft and OT. So Matthews was available, they took him. Cant just say they'd have taken GRob. More than likely they dont.
So its butterfly affect. Change #2 and the whole thing changes.

If I had to redo it, I'd take Donald at #2 so we dont lose him and then maybe the later pick I take a different Ol

jjab360

Legend

It's also completely pointless self gratification

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Aaron Rodgers might disagree with WR's being the least valuable position in football.

I don't know that he would. He still threw for 31 TDs to 8 Ints and the Packers are in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

In general, I get your premise and generally agree. Larry Fitz would be a good example as he had a couple of his least productive seasons until AZ picked up Palmer. And while a really good QB can make an avg WR look better than he is, it's also true that a really good WR can make a QB's job easier as well.

Absolutely. It's a team game.

As of this point in time, GRob strikes me a bit like the Chris Long of LT's. I.e., a guy who will turn out to be very good at his position, but not quite what might have been hoped for with the #2 overall pick.

I don't know. Long's issue was that he was highly intelligent and technically sound but not physically elite. G-Rob appears to be the opposite. But it's possible he ends up at that level because of his inconsistencies.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I don't know. Long's issue was that he was highly intelligent and technically sound but not physically elite. G-Rob appears to be the opposite. But it's possible he ends up at that level because of his inconsistencies.

My OP is that you are wrong. Long is a very good to elite athlete that could play well in any scheme, but has always been best suited for a 3-4 DE. He has been sort of missed cast as a RDE then excel as a LDE in a 4-3 until injuries creep in.​

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My OP is that you are wrong. Long is a very good to elite athlete that could play well in any scheme, but has always been best suited for a 3-4 DE. He has been sort of missed cast as a RDE then excel as a LDE in a 4-3 until injuries creep in.​

Disagree.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I think you meant 3-4 OLB like his college coach stated. Long had and has no business playing DE in a 3-4 defense when TEs can effectively block him.