GRob traded to Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

This is what I was going to post - Robinson doesn't seem to be a guy that McVay and Kromer will tolerate - they like guys that put the effort in, Jamon has done that and GRob hasn't - if he was a God-given gifted athlete, then ok - you cut them slack, but the dude should have been fighting for his position on the roster.

Good luck Detroit, you've got Greg... erm I mean Good luck in Detroit Greg

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Alex Barron, Jason Smith and Greg Robinson are the price to pay for drafting Pace, huh?

Karma is a biiiitch

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
We could have got more than a 6th rounder if we were patient. Offensive line is one of the toughest positions to fill once the season gets rolling. A 6'5" 333lb OL with experience at LT and physicality that got him drafted second overall is worth a 4th at least. Even as a situational short yardage lineman that provides depth, he is worth $3.3M.

This questionable negotiating is why Tavon has a $42M extension while Donald and Trumaine are still on the wait list.
You think we should have kept him and released him at the end of the year for a compensatory pick? I wish we'd done that with Tavon. You don't guarantee you're going to get a compensatory pick though. Especially because they'd likely be bringing in a new guy or two in free agency next year which counter-balances it. Also; it frees up funds NOW to be spent on negotiating the much needed AD contract (and Tru if you want; I'd let him walk).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alex Barron, Jason Smith and Greg Robinson are the price to pay for drafting Pace, huh?

Karma is a biiiitch
If karma is paying attention, the Colts and Packers will have QB draft nightmares after their current QB's ride off in to the sunset...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
A 6'5" 333lb OL with experience at LT and physicality that got him drafted second overall is worth a 4th at least. Even as a situational short yardage lineman that provides depth, he is worth $3.3M.
They dumped him for his contract. They want the money for Donald.

Makes perfect sense to me and we are lucky to get a 6th rounder for him.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
You think we should have kept him and released him at the end of the year for a compensatory pick? I wish we'd done that with Tavon. You don't guarantee you're going to get a compensatory pick though. Especially because they'd likely be bringing in a new guy or two in free agency next year which counter-balances it. Also; it frees up funds NOW to be spent on negotiating the much needed AD contract (and Tru if you want; I'd let him walk).

I think we could have traded GRob for more once injuries started to force the hand of other teams. I'm not very fond of Tru either but we need someone out there on the #1 guy and he is our best option right now with zero outside CBs taken in the draft. At least give him a deal so that we aren't giving him ridiculous money for the franchise tag every season.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Fisher wanted athletic freaks. He thinks anyone can be coached. So Snead delivered.

And there it is. This in a nutshell explains the debacle that was the Fisher regime.

That, along with never putting any emphasis on getting an offensive coaching staff that actually could coach these guys up. Fisher emphasized getting top notch coaches on defense, and the athletes taken on that side of the ball generally worked out. On offense, the best - BEST - offensive coordinator he ever brought in was Schotty ... that's another nutshell that explains the debacle of the Fisher regime.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
You are assuming that our line is going to remain healthy...correct?
check the injury histories of the 5 players that are "starters"....who would you assume plays 16 games in 2017?
RODGER SAFFOLD

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
With the jury still out on Goff, and giving a pass to Gurley for soph slump, has any player on the offensive side of the ball been any kind of success from the Fisher/Snead era?
Benny Cunningham. That's all i got.

Ram65

Legend

Good point the contract is a big reason. He would be an expensive backup if Jamon Brown beat him out at RG. To not let him compete in camp tells me they really didn't like him for some reason other than money. It's a gamble on the Rams side too. They don't have a lot of back up tackle experience either and could find themselves where the Lions were before the trade.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
RODGER SAFFOLD

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

I have been real hard on long time Ram OL'er Rodger Saffold over the years..however I have been silent :censored:for a while now. Last season Rodger started 15 games, only missing one game due to surgery on his broken hand. 2 of those were @ LT post.

Rodger had a rough 2015 season but he has better over the last 3 seasons where Rodger has started 36 out of 48 games. Yes that not perfect but there are many starting OL'ers his age that have done worse now.

I have great interest in this upcoming season on how well Rodger performs with 2 very well seasoned professional OL'ers on each side of him. The past 3 seasons Rodger has been playing between GRob & Wells/Barnes:shocking:.

This year should be his best since his rookie season when he received the best starting rookie LT in 2010 season. If he performs much of the same as in the past Rodger may find himself in the GRob/Kendricks/Quick/Barnes departure line. Fact is Rodger is due to earn a near 14 million for the 2017/2018 seasons & with cap $'s becoming short due to several mega upcoming contracts.....:whistle: well its his time. Kromer does have some OG talent on this roster with Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal & Jamon Brown all 3 will cost much less (about a quarter) of what Rodger will demand.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
[QUOTE="Elmgrovegnome, post: 909183, member: 581
Leave it to Fisher to turn a second overall into a 6th.[/QUOTE]

:mad::baghead:
train

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'll take a 6th over a staight cut.

It really is a shame Grob couldn't (or wouldn't) get it together.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
What I find interesting is on June 5th Alden Gonzalez reported Whitworth was making it his mission to help GRob

Per ESPN.com’s Alden Gonzalez, Whitworth has made it a mission of his to help Robinson however he can, employing “positive reinforcement” and talking through schemes, walking through technique and always being available.

I wonder if after 10 days Whitworth said this kid hopeless and has not interest in learning or getting better. In the same article they reference Jamon Brown stating that Whitworth has been an open book and showing him (Brown) how to be a pro. It also talks about Whitworth being a sounding board for McVay.