Greg Cosell Scouting Reports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Hypothetical for you, which is better:

An elite Nabers with several all-pro seasons vs. above-average production slightly below elite from Bryon Murphy or Verse?

Assume the cost for Nabers is a move to #5 with 2024 1st and 2nd, and 2025 1st and 4th. Also, assume both players have long careers with the Rams.
For this season, it doesn't make sense to spend that capital to move up for a WR. I'd take a slightly below elite (still great) Murphy/Verse and our 2nd for hopes of going far this season.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
For this season, it doesn't make sense to spend that capital to move up for a WR. I'd take a slightly below elite (still great) Murphy/Verse and our 2nd for hopes of going far this season.
We all say that, but if 3 years from now one of these WRs is comparable to Justin Jefferson while the DT is similar to Javon Kinlaw, then how stupid would the Rams look?

And I am one of those focusing on DL so I am with you, but we often look back at need picks and shake our heads.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Ok, that's where our differences lie. I'm looking at what's best for this season and for the years to come. It's hard to build a consistent winner with a short term outlook.

Also, I doubt Murphy or Verse will be slightly below elite in their rookie season. Merely average is probably already an optimistic outlook given the bust rate of late 1st round picks.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I never said do it! And as I actually did mention snead was part of the falcons when they moved up from pick 27 to pick number 6 that's 21 slots this is 16. Look at the draft chart......

having said that there are many generational talents you can hand pick and say that about the position not so important it's a matter of the team around the generational talent so that perspective doesn't sway me in the least

Dan Marino?
Calvin Johnson?
Barry Sanders?
Randy Moss?
Bruce Smith?
Etc.
I wasn't arguing with you, and I understand what you pointed out. I was just letting you know that the trade chart doesn't mean much when there is competition for a QB at a particular selection.

And for your second point, I agree. But I like my chances more with the QB or Pass Rusher than the RB or WR. Why? Because quality players at the latter are far easier to find.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I wasn't arguing with you, and I understand what you pointed out. I was just letting you know that the trade chart doesn't mean much when there is competition for a QB at a particular selection.

And for your second point, I agree. But I like my chances more with the QB or Pass Rusher than the RB or WR. Why? Because quality players at the latter are far easier to find.

All true but generational ones aren't typically found there.
We can agree to disagree but personally my opinion I'm ok with whatever they decide because I trust them but if the rams did do that they'd steal the show at the draft and after this year only 2 receivers under contract with coop being a possible cap casualty via trade or cut especially if his season is subpar.

I'd be happy very happy with Odunze but outside the box Jakes idea was nuts and I'd be ok with it especially if Judon was in the mix.

Memphis Ram

Legend
All true but generational ones aren't typically found there.
We can agree to disagree but personally my opinion I'm ok with whatever they decide because I trust them but if the rams did do that they'd steal the show at the draft and after this year only 2 receivers under contract with coop being a possible cap casualty via trade or cut especially if his season is subpar.

I'd be happy very happy with Odunze but outside the box Jakes idea was nuts and I'd be ok with it especially if Judon was in the mix.
Yeah, we will have to agree to disagree. IMO, this draft is about as deep as the 1996 WR draft class.

In that one, Keyshawn Johnson was the generational talent and was selected #1 overall.

Meanwhile, that draft class also produced Terry Glenn, Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, Muhsin Muhammad, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens, and Joe Horn who went on to have pretty good careers.

I have my doubts if the Falcons would make that trade up for Julio Jones, if his draft class were as deep.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Yeah, we will have to agree to disagree. IMO, this draft is about as deep as the 1996 WR draft class.

In that one, Keyshawn Johnson was the generational talent and was selected #1 overall.

Meanwhile, that draft class also produced Terry Glenn, Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, Muhsin Muhammad, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens, and Joe Horn who went on to have pretty good careers.

I have my doubts if the Falcons would make that trade up for Julio Jones, if his draft class were as deep.
They did though and pulled it off nicely....... obviously we are coming off a season where we have a pretty damn good one in Puka but after the fact it's easy to say and pick etc it's fun to look BK like I mentioned we took Eddie Kennison right before Marvin Harrison. Like the rams trades I'm all for sure thing talent and Harrison I wouldn't complain and Odunze I wouldn't complain.. id actually complain if we traded up for Dallas Turner despite being so vocal on here about needing an edge.

Memphis Ram

Legend
They did though and pulled it off nicely....... obviously we are coming off a season where we have a pretty damn good one in Puka but after the fact it's easy to say and pick etc it's fun to look BK like I mentioned we took Eddie Kennison right before Marvin Harrison. Like the rams trades I'm all for sure thing talent and Harrison I wouldn't complain and Odunze I wouldn't complain.. id actually complain if we traded up for Dallas Turner despite being so vocal on here about needing an edge.
If it's more than a couple of spots, I'm on the don't trade up for anyone mindset. And even then I may be limited to Brock Bowers or Quinyon Mitchell.

I'm been a drafnik for many years and that Eddie Kennison over Marvin Harrison fiasco haunts me about the same as when the then St. Louis Cardinals selected Clyde Duncan over Louis Lipps. I couldn't believe either one happened at the time. And the late draft guru Joel Buschsbaum told anyone who would listen about the depth of that 1996 WR draft class.

I will say one thing in Kennison's defense. He looked decent to me until he took that huge sideline hit during a preseason game.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If it's more than a couple of spots, I'm on the don't trade up for anyone mindset.

I'm been a drafnik for many years and that Eddie Kennison over Marvin Harrison fiasco haunts me about the same as when the then St. Louis Cardinals selected Clyde Duncan over Louis Lipps. I couldn't believe either one happened at the time.

I will say one thing in Kennison's defense. He looked decent to me until he took that huge sideline hit during a preseason game.
I always thought the issue with Kennison was he looked good as a rookie, but then teams realized that he couldn't get off a jam. So then being physical with him was the remedy to get him off his routes and slow him down considerably.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I always thought the issue with Kennison was he looked good as a rookie, but then teams realized that he couldn't get off a jam. So then being physical with him was the remedy to get him off his routes and slow him down considerably.
Could have been, but I noticed the change after that sideline hit. He got destroyed.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
If it's more than a couple of spots, I'm on the don't trade up for anyone mindset. And even then I may be limited to Brock Bowers or Quinyon Mitchell.

I'm been a drafnik for many years and that Eddie Kennison over Marvin Harrison fiasco haunts me about the same as when the then St. Louis Cardinals selected Clyde Duncan over Louis Lipps. I couldn't believe either one happened at the time. And the late draft guru Joel Buschsbaum told anyone who would listen about the depth of that 1996 WR draft class.

All good stuff....I believe in this regime as crazy as they can make me at times like edge but I could also see superfying the offense on a generational talent or an Odunze who could also turn out generational but I just can't wait to get there to see how this unfolds.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
I don’t think there’s any chance that the Rams trade up for a WR. This team needs talent especially on the defensive side of the ball. It’s a very deep WR class and the production that Puka showed last season along with the return of a healthy Kupp allows them to restock the defensive needs and still get value a WR. You don’t go into a draft trying to undo a mistake you made 20+ years ago. Different Draft. Different era. Different needs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Haven't seen the video, but, does it involve our 1st round pick for the next decade? Seems like it would take many 1st and probably our 2nd and maybe our 3rd. And our D would be a dumpster fire.
No doubt. Another shit ass pipe dream video out there from a content maker who doesn't have a very good feel.

There is a sweet spot in the Rams minds for one of the top 3 wideouts. Same with Bowers. But cost factors in here. Future picks aren't monopoly money.

If I had to guess where that is I'd go with 14ish. Somewhere in that low to mid teens, but unlikely to occur.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. Another shit ass pipe dream video out there from a content maker who doesn't have a very good feel.

There is a sweet spot in the Rams minds for one of the top 3 wideouts. Same with Bowers. But cost factors in here. Future picks aren't monopoly money.

If I had to guess where that is I'd go with 14ish. Somewhere in that low to mid teens, but unlikely to occur.
Yeah I can't see a trade up that high being any kind of reality for a WR.

dang

Legend
IMO the smart play is to trade down to pick up another R2 pick. I see a lot of potential starters in the top 75 or so.

But I couldn’t blame the Rams trading up for a transformational player (Odunze, Nabors, Harrison, Alt, Bowers) IF they were available after the first 10 picks.

I would prefer the former but could live with the latter.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO the smart play is to trade down to pick up another R2 pick. I see a lot of potential starters in the top 75 or so.

But I couldn’t blame the Rams trading up for a transformational player (Odunze, Nabors, Harrison, Alt, Bowers) IF they were available after the first 10 picks.

I would prefer the former but could live with the latter.

Could be wrong, but unless someone is coming up for a QB or are very desperate it appears that trading down and picking up a 2nd round draft pick would be almost impossible according to the draft trade chart. That is, if they wanted to stay in the 1st round.

Well, not without the Rams and that team swapping more picks or that 2nd rounder is in 2025.:thinking:

dang

Legend
Could be wrong, but unless someone is coming up for a QB or are very desperate it appears that trading down and picking up a 2nd round draft pick would be almost impossible according to the draft trade chart. That is, if they wanted to stay in the 1st round.

Well, not without the Rams and that team swapping more picks or that 2nd rounder is in 2025.:thinking:
Consider a trade with the Bills:
Rams R1.19/R5.154 for their R1.28/R2.60. That’s a real scenario if the Bills panic for an “instant starter” WR like Thomas or the TX Twins. We could sweeten the pot (if needed) with Atwell.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Consider a trade with the Bills:
Rams R1.19/R5.154 for their R1.28/R2.60. That’s a real scenario if the Bills panic for an “instant starter” WR like Thomas or the TX Twins. We could sweeten the pot (if needed) with Atwell.
In a deep WR draft class and leave themselves with no selection for about 109 picks (they don't have a 3rd rounder)?

dang

Legend
In a deep WR draft class and leave themselves with no selection for about 109 picks (they don't have a 3rd rounder)?
The Bills scenario was just a hypothetical opportunity to gain another R2 pick. But I do believe there is the top 3 WRs, then a little drop to Thomas/TX Twins and another significant drop to the other top WRs.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'd put it AD Mitchell..... big gap.... Thomas, then probably like McConkey better then Worthy even.