Greg Cosell Scouting Reports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Look there's a lot to like about Latu but he's not even on the same planet as Quinn.
Same planet is a bit exaggerated. He's in the same stadium as a prospect certainly, perhaps even in the same section.

Final collegiate season:
Quinn - 52 tackles, 19 TFL, 11 sacks
Latu - 49 tackles, 21.5 TFL, 13 sacks

I'd even suggest Latu is more of a technician then Quinn, though Quinn the better athlete.

Psycho_X

Legend
Look there's a lot to like about Latu but he's not even on the same planet as Quinn.
As far as a player in college I think they are on the same planet. Will see how it translates to NFL. I'm not saying he is Quinn just has some similar characteristics such as their speed.
I think he's not the athlete Quinn was but he does have good lean. Quinn and Myles Garrett have the best lean I have seen, but Latu does, too from what I've seen -- but those were elite guys. A cut above ---

My only issue is he slow plays some rushes and looks for like a 4-3 DE to me, than OLBer... not saying he can cover, saw him get a couple of picks but one was a tip and another a zone blitz... a little different animal.

If Rams take him I'd be fine with it ... I just would be curious to see if he can do a complete job. In any event he'd be an upgrade from Hoecht. And that is possibly something Rams are looking at, "yeah he's not ideal but his pass rush makes up for it and he's going to be a lot better than what we have" -- that kind of thinking.
Yeah agreed he's not, Quinn was a freak how well he could lean... almost perpendicular to the ground at times coming around the edge. Haven't seen Latu do that kind of play but his speed is very comparable just without the pure athleticism from the hips down like Quinn. So will have to rely on his hands and counter moves more than Quinn ever had to who basically had one unbeatable move.

Anyway, I have also wondered about DE vs OLB with him in NFL. I'm afraid he's going to get blown up in the NFL run game and question his drop back ability as well. I trust the Rams staff to make that call based on what they want from him though if they decide to pick him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think he's not the athlete Quinn was but he does have good lean. Quinn and Myles Garrett have the best lean I have seen, but Latu does, too from what I've seen -- but those were elite guys. A cut above ---

My only issue is he slow plays some rushes and looks for like a 4-3 DE to me, than OLBer... not saying he can cover, saw him get a couple of picks but one was a tip and another a zone blitz... a little different animal.

If Rams take him I'd be fine with it ... I just would be curious to see if he can do a complete job. In any event he'd be an upgrade from Hoecht. And that is possibly something Rams are looking at, "yeah he's not ideal but his pass rush makes up for it and he's going to be a lot better than what we have" -- that kind of thinking.
IMO - The Rams need that DE/OLB which Latu brings.

If The Rams draft him then it’s a perfect fit.B. Young has had to keep containment at RDE/OLB.

Just go back & watch the preseason 2023 & see what having a player like that matters.

Quinn would give up the Edge sometimes as well & there’s a fine line.Stopping the run will be a priority .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As far as a player in college I think they are on the same planet. Will see how it translates to NFL. I'm not saying he is Quinn just has some similar characteristics such as their speed.

Yeah agreed he's not, Quinn was a freak how well he could lean... almost perpendicular to the ground at times coming around the edge. Haven't seen Latu do that kind of play but his speed is very comparable just without the pure athleticism from the hips down like Quinn. So will have to rely on his hands and counter moves more than Quinn ever had to who basically had one unbeatable move.

Anyway, I have also wondered about DE vs OLB with him in NFL. I'm afraid he's going to get blown up in the NFL run game and question his drop back ability as well. I trust the Rams staff to make that call based on what they want from him though if they decide to pick him.
I don't think any of these edges in this draft are super elite types. You'll see guys like Parsons or Clowney once in a while but none of these seem that dominant to me.

Latu in terms of production is as good as it gets. I don't disagree that he will get run on a bit as a rook. But I also don't think he'll have too much problem adjusting. I'd only line him up over RTs if it's an obvious passing down. Otherwise keep him blind side.

The guys who have great talent but don't live up to it worry the shit out of me at positions like Edge. So I'm mentally prepared for Chop to be the pick, wouldn't surprise me, but hopeful he's not the pick. Too much is made of ceilings in the draft at this position. And it's a big deal because when you hit on a high ceiling type you are gonna win a lot of games. But many of the ones who don't produce you're probably looking at a Clowney type track, statistically speaking, where they never really live up to their talent.

And no I haven't run any numbers on that. Just how I see it. I don't hate the thought of going with Chop, and I know we have a Penn St fan who likes the idea so that's partially why I'm luke warm on it. But I'd rather take the dude who just gets to QBs. Latu is relentless man. He doesn't look like much but he's always around that QB. Put that dude on the blindside and Young developing in another camp, maybe a snot bubbler or two added to the middle, and we got ourselves a nasty defensive front boy.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Playing devil's advocate.....my question is, what did he think of AD? I get Cosell is a pro, but even he doesn't get it right 100% of the time

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Seems like he’s a very big fan of pearsall. Me too. If we can somehow grab him with our 2nd round pick I’m going to be so happy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't think any of these edges in this draft are super elite types. You'll see guys like Parsons or Clowney once in a while but none of these seem that dominant to me.

Latu in terms of production is as good as it gets. I don't disagree that he will get run on a bit as a rook. But I also don't think he'll have too much problem adjusting. I'd only line him up over RTs if it's an obvious passing down. Otherwise keep him blind side.

The guys who have great talent but don't live up to it worry the shit out of me at positions like Edge. So I'm mentally prepared for Chop to be the pick, wouldn't surprise me, but hopeful he's not the pick. Too much is made of ceilings in the draft at this position. And it's a big deal because when you hit on a high ceiling type you are gonna win a lot of games. But many of the ones who don't produce you're probably looking at a Clowney type track, statistically speaking, where they never really live up to their talent.

And no I haven't run any numbers on that. Just how I see it. I don't hate the thought of going with Chop, and I know we have a Penn St fan who likes the idea so that's partially why I'm luke warm on it. But I'd rather take the dude who just gets to QBs. Latu is relentless man. He doesn't look like much but he's always around that QB. Put that dude on the blindside and Young developing in another camp, maybe a snot bubbler or two added to the middle, and we got ourselves a nasty defensive front boy.
Yes, grab Fiske to go beside him and see what happens.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think he's an above average run defender and in coverage. In fact, I think he is the top graded edge in pass coverage in the draft (don't quote me, he's at least top 5). He even had 2 picks last season. He is the perfect upgrade from Hoecht IMO.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Seems like he’s a very big fan of pearsall. Me too. If we can somehow grab him with our 2nd round pick I’m going to be so happy.
Meeee toooo if we don't move up for Odunze of course.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Jake made a a vid was really interesting and it did create a why not. Don't know how many of you saw it but imagine the rams leapfrog the turdnals to trade with the pats at 3???? It's only 16 spots draft chart does indeed show it's very doable and snead was a part of the falcons going from 27 to 6 for Julio Jones. I'd be all in on that because your trying to replace a generational talent but almost impossible to do it at the same position so why not add a controllable generational talent for 5 years hopefully plus? I took it step further what if you make that trade for picks and have them include Judon? Do they view him as a complete asset or a salary dump and us doing them a favor there as well is be ok with the 19th and next year's first and some combination of 3rd this year and 3rd next year etc.

But you'd still be cooking with gas here and righting a wrong for taking Eddie Kennison one pick ahead of Marvin Harrison first go around RT???

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haven't seen the video, but, does it involve our 1st round pick for the next decade? Seems like it would take many 1st and probably our 2nd and maybe our 3rd. And our D would be a dumpster fire.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And on that note for trading up, honestly my opinion of Nabers continues to go up. I think he is a major difference maker and would fit us like a glove. He would be our deep speed and RAC monster. Nonetheless, it would be extremely expensive to get up to grab him and likely be a trade with the tenants. I maintain, stand pat and take best defender however.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Jake made a a vid was really interesting and it did create a why not. Don't know how many of you saw it but imagine the rams leapfrog the turdnals to trade with the pats at 3???? It's only 16 spots draft chart does indeed show it's very doable and snead was a part of the falcons going from 27 to 6 for Julio Jones. I'd be all in on that because your trying to replace a generational talent but almost impossible to do it at the same position so why not add a controllable generational talent for 5 years hopefully plus? I took it step further what if you make that trade for picks and have them include Judon? Do they view him as a complete asset or a salary dump and us doing them a favor there as well is be ok with the 19th and next year's first and some combination of 3rd this year and 3rd next year etc.
QBs
But you'd still be cooking with gas here and righting a wrong for taking Eddie Kennison one pick ahead of Marvin Harrison first go around RT???

Horrible idea, IMO.

The competition for the Patriots #3 overall selection is going to be vs. teams looking to move up for QBs. It would take multiple 1st round picks to move up from #19 to #3.

Besides, this WR draft class is too deep to trade up for any WR. There are going to WRs selected later who may not only come close or match Harrison's production but may even outdo him.

Imagine trading multiple 1st rounders for Calvin Johnson when you could have kept your selections and drafted Steve Smith Sr in the same draft class.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
And on that note for trading up, honestly my opinion of Nabers continues to go up. I think he is a major difference maker and would fit us like a glove. He would be our deep speed and RAC monster. Nonetheless, it would be extremely expensive to get up to grab him and likely be a trade with the tenants. I maintain, stand pat and take best defender however.
Hypothetical for you, which is better:

An elite Nabers with several all-pro seasons vs. above-average production slightly below elite from Bryon Murphy or Verse?

Assume the cost for Nabers is a move to #5 with 2024 1st and 2nd, and 2025 1st and 4th. Also, assume both players have long careers with the Rams.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Horrible idea, IMO.

The competition for the Patriots #3 overall selection is going to be vs. teams looking to move up for QBs. It would take multiple 1st round picks to move up from #19 to #3.

Besides, this WR draft class is too deep to trade up for any WR. There are going to WRs selected later who may not only come close or match Harrison's production but may even outdo him.

Imagine trading multiple 1st rounders for Calvin Johnson when you could have kept your selections and drafted Steve Smith Sr in the same draft class.
Love Steve Smith but he was no Calvin Johnson and it's only if you believe Harrison Jr is generational I definitely don't think it to be horrible at all. I'd love Odunze and would be more than ok if the rams grab him in fact estatic but Harrison is special it's like a Jalen Ramsey type trade also if you squeezed Judon out of it that makes for an exciting draft and you have the Cardinals scrambling. I don't mind as the rams always do draft picks for generational talent is fine by me.

Totally get your point though and figured there would be a lot of opposition with this one.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Love Steve Smith but he was no Calvin Johnson and it's only if you believe Harrison Jr is generational I definitely don't think it to be horrible at all. I'd love Odunze and would be more than ok if the rams grab him in fact estatic but Harrison is special it's like a Jalen Ramsey type trade also if you squeezed Judon out of it that makes for an exciting draft and you have the Cardinals scrambling. I don't mind as the rams always do draft picks for generational talent is fine by me.

Totally get your point though and figured there would be a lot of opposition with this one.

I think that Calvin Johnson's career showed that the overall impact of a generational WR isn't as high as a good WR along with other talented players.

Actually, I not sure how the Pats move from #3 all the way down to #19 and give up their best pass rusher. Well, not unless Mike Ditka takes over at Rams Park and gives up all of the Rams 2024 draft picks along with their 1st two selections in 2025 and a player.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think that Calvin Johnson's career showed that the overall impact of a generational WR isn't as high as a good WR along with other talented players.

Actually, I not sure how the Pats move from #3 all the way down to #19 and give up their best pass rusher. Well, not unless Mike Ditka takes over at Rams Park and gives up all of the Rams 2024 draft picks along with their 1st two selections in 2025 and a player.
Like a generational DT (Suh) or a generational RB (Dickerson) or a generational TE (Gates). Hell even THE generational QB (Manning) only won 2 SBs in 17 seasons, while Brady, hardly a generational talent coming into the NFL, won 6. ! The Colts always spent money on surrounding him with talent but rarely on defense.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

I never said do it! And as I actually did mention snead was part of the falcons when they moved up from pick 27 to pick number 6 that's 21 slots this is 16. Look at the draft chart......

having said that there are many generational talents you can hand pick and say that about the position not so important it's a matter of the team around the generational talent so that perspective doesn't sway me in the least

Dan Marino?
Calvin Johnson?
Barry Sanders?
Randy Moss?
Bruce Smith?
Etc.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I already had a hope we’d somehow land McConkey, but after looking at his weaknesses, I REALLY want him in horns.