Fisher: Sticking with Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
batman-anger-murder-1pvAUSHW4nhMk

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He averages about 9 yds per reception career.. about the same as Austin.

He is just as good a return man also.

I think he has better hands also.

I'm being a bit facetious... but if you are one of those people that buys into the fabricated greatness of Tavon Austin I can't help you.

Tavon Austin is a solid player but not a star.

I don't care what stats you use, he isn't half the player tavon is.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He's angry and trying to protect his quarterback. I get that. Don't ever take what Fisher says literally. Especially not after a loss.

Ellard80

Legend
Again I'm not putting too much stock into what Fisher says right after the game.

Last week the Jet's coach said they were sticking with Fitzpatrick... and they didn't.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Again I'm not putting too much stock into what Fisher says right after the game.

Last week the Jet's coach said they were sticking with Fitzpatrick... and they didn't.

I would be pleasantly stunned, but stunned none the less, if he went to Goff now...The receivers didn't help today, but Keenum went into total collapse mode...

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
"I'll make changes at receiver before I make a change at QB".
Is he throwing WR's under the buss??
Really unhappy with Tavon today as a receiver; the deflections turned INT's KILLED today.

I'm fine with Goff coming on. Keenum doesn't own the first two picks, though.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Fisher needs to be Sarkisianed. Catch his own flight home if that's his attitude.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Classic Fisher.
I have no doubt he'll start Keenum.
Most stubborn coach I've ever seen

Ellard80

Legend
I'm not saying he will or wont start Goff... I'm just not taking his comments after the game for meaning much of anything.

You guys should have watched enough football to know how meaningless those "vote of confidence" statements are.

…..

Legend
I don't care what stats you use, he isn't half the player tavon is.

Right now, after this particular game, probably isn't a great time to sing praise on Tavon Austin. Aside from this game, He is...or the Rams insistence upon making him somebody that he isn't, one of the root causes of this teams absolute failure.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
For now I'll take a wait and see attitude as to whether he really means it. That being said, if he did start Keenum, it wouldn't be the first time he crossed the line between stubborn and downright stupid.

If Goff is somehow not ready to go, that's on Fisher too for slow-walking Goff's development and putting most, if not all of his eggs in the basked of a perennial backup QB.

And if he does start Case after this with the #1 pick waiting in the wings, he deserves to be fired.

…..

Legend
Fisher needs to be Sarkisianed. Catch his own flight home if that's his attitude.

You know what I'd do? Make him ride a bike home from Twickendam Loss Stadium. Of course, theres an ocean in the way....so the plan would work brilliantly.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
"I'll make changes at receiver before I make a change at QB".
Is he throwing WR's under the buss??

By: Steven Ruiz | October 23, 2016 1:11 pm

The Rams’ listless effort in a 17-10 loss to the Giants in Londondropped the team to 3-4, and, for all intents and purposes, should have quashed any thoughts of this team making a playoff run in a competitive NFC.

It’s time to make a change. It’s time to make the change.
usatsi_9552696-copy.jpg

It’s time to make a change. It’s time to make the change.

Jared Goff has to be the Rams’ starter going forward. There are no more excuses. Case Keenum, who tossed four interceptions in the loss to New York, may give the team a better chance to win now, but winning should not be the team’s primary goal at this point. Its primary goal should gathering information on the roster, and, more importantly, the team’s quarterback of the future.

Judging quarterbacks is difficult, especially with limited sample sizes. Every rep is important — not only for the player’s own personal development but also for the team’s evaluation of the player.

usatsi_9598265.jpg

Richard Mackson-USA TODAY Sports

After signing his rookie deal, Goff had about three seasons to prove he’s worthy of a second contract. After that third year, the Rams will have to decide whether to activate the fifth-year option on Goff’s rookie deal. If he doesn’t play this season, the Rams would only get to see the Cal product for 32 starts before having to make that decision.

That’s not a lot of evaluation time, especially for a decision that will alter the future of the franchise. Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill has played 70 NFL games, and we still have no idea what he is. Andrew Luck has played 61 games, and opinion is split on whether he is a borderline elite quarterback or just another overhyped guy. Jay Cutler is 33 and still divides opinion.

Even if the Rams are not willing to give up on this season just yet, Goff still might be the better option. Keenum just doesn’t have the arm to push the ball downfield consistently, which is limiting the Rams’ receiving corps and the offense as a whole.

In Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin, Los Angeles has the players capable of stretching the field vertically — not that you’d know if you watched this offense every week. And the Rams’ lack of downfield success is just destroying the run game. Todd Gurley is consistently facing loaded run boxes, which is killing his production.

Goff, at the very least, should be able to threaten defenses downfield. That will get safeties to back off the line of scrimmage and open some more space for Gurley. The Rams offense is centered around the run game being successful. Getting Gurley going will jumpstart the offense and take pressure off an overworked defense.

A look around the league should alleviate any concerns Jeff Fisher may have about playing a rookie signal-caller. There’s Dak Prescott and Carson Wentz, who rank fifth and seventh in passer rating, respectively, and are a combined 8-3. Browns rookie Cody Kessler has yet to win a game, but has been solid in every one of his starts. Rookie quarterbacks can succeed in this league.

Fisher has already committed to Keenum for Week 8, but he’s obviously thinking about making a change soon. The Rams will reportedly give Goff more first-team reps during practice starting next week. They need to take it a step further, name their prized rookie the starter and starting looking to the future.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/nfl-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-case-keenum-jeff-fisher

I MEAN REALLY COACH FISHER?

With another chance and the game on the line, Case Keenum has now had 3 straight opportunities against Buffalo, Detroit and the Giants to keep his starting job going into the bye week.

If Keenum had just one game winning drive in these last 3 games, I could understand Fisher sticking with Case for the month of November.

In all three crunch time opportunities Keenum went 0 for 3 and all of those drives ended with Interceptions. CASE CLOSED.

If Jeff Fisher's stubborn ego really does name #17 as the Rams starter in 2 weeks vs Carolina, he will endure a frenzy of attacks like he's never experienced as an NFL head coach.

The Los Angeles Sports Media and NFL talking heads are going to be interesting to follow if Fisher stays the course.

He may shrug it off but I assure you he will be more rattled than he leads on. If Goff isn't ready to learn on the job after 7 games something is wrong with this offensive coaching staff.

What Fisher's world considers READY is now becoming asinine as well as being paranoid that Goff will fail.
c4f5da510fdc222368ebda15f72ebde48e7ce01f_hq.jpg