Cutting Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
He has been placed on IR and NFL rules prevent them from cutting him at this point. Given his injury is season ending, they would not be able to cut him at this point even if they wanted to.

Big Willie

Starter
This won't be a popular opinion, but I would consider extending him for an extra year by reducing his 2014 and 2015 salaries. I would try to split up his remaining salaries (roughly 34 million) and sign him to a 3 year deal through 2016. If he comes back healthy and can win the job in 2015, great...the rams would have him locked up for another year. If not, you can cut him in 2015 and the only cap hit will be his current prorated signing bonus. Sam might go for this because I don't think he will get a $17M deal in 2015 coming off an injury from any other team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This won't be a popular opinion, but I would consider extending him for an extra year by reducing his 2014 and 2015 salaries. I would try to split up his remaining salaries (roughly 34 million) and sign him to a 3 year deal through 2016. If he comes back healthy and can win the job in 2015, great...the rams would have him locked up for another year. If not, you can cut him in 2015 and the only cap hit will be his current prorated signing bonus. Sam might go for this because I don't think he will get a $17M deal in 2015 coming off an injury from any other team.
That's not any better/worse a suggestion than all the others I'm hearing out there. The only wildcard here is Condon/Dogra. Those dudes aren't well known for being extremely flexible with their clients' financial futures.

Rams4life

http://profootball.scout.com/story/1190445-sam-bradford-restructured-deal
did it at least once pushing back $6 million. If he's turned down others I'd like to see an article to look into it. Fisher has stuck his neck out for Bradford. I don't see him as the type of guy who wouldn't return the favor.

Well they tried to sign him to an extension this past offseason. But he's toast as the starter for the rams. I really liked him and wanted him to succeed, but time to move on.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I'd like to wait until Sam has his operation and find out the severity of his knee damage and the prognosis before writing him out of our future.
as of right now it was said to be a clean ACL tear no other damage to the knee. probably the reason he felt pretty good after the game. doctors say you can be right as rain after a second tear but it takes a longer recovery. more strengthening to do and scar tissue issues probably and of course the serious mental aspect of it.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
That's not any better/worse a suggestion than all the others I'm hearing out there. The only wildcard here is Condon/Dogra. Those dudes aren't well known for being extremely flexible with their clients' financial futures.
Sam's already loaded. I hope if his agent tries to make him walk away Sam says 'Fuck You!' and fires him lol. that would be awesome

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Agents like Condon are paid to be the bad guy when it comes to contracts.
Some players like to grouse about money to the media, the smart ones let their agents do it.

In regards to Bradford's future I'd look for Condon to do whatever makes the most financial sense for his client.

iced

They should be more understanding - seemed like they turned down an extension and gambled on bradford having a bigger year.

Big Willie

Starter

Hadn't taken that into consideration. Interesting viewpoint and knowledge of the agent's tendencies. I appreciate you "bringing the knowledge" -X- .

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
He has been placed on IR and NFL rules prevent them from cutting him at this point. Given his injury is season ending, they would not be able to cut him at this point even if they wanted to.
Exactly right . . . .

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
Thanks! It sure would be interesting to hear Sam say something about his thoughts about his future, but don't hold your breath waiting for Sam to put out any RGme type BS. He's too honest and humble and has too much class. And he's always had heart. That makes four things RGme is missing. That trade we made still looks good to me. I'd rather have the players we got and Sam with a bad knee than RG and his bad knee. Sorry! Got off on a rant there. Continue on.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
If the ACL recovery goes well, I'd have to imagine that they have a gentleman's agreement in place to cut-and-sign him to a lower-paying contract next season. Something like Revis got from the Bucs - not that $96 million part, but the easy-to-cut-because-of-no-guaranteed-money part.

So the Rams have Bradford at practically zero risk. Bradford has the ability to remain on the team that drafted him, under the staff that loves him, with the ability to make bank if he plays well.

Who would be opposed to that? You make the second- and third-year salaries higher than any other team is willing to guarantee, and Bradford can come in and earn his keep, almost from scratch.

scifiman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They're not doing anything with Bradford until the offseason is here. No reason to. Why not wait and see what transpires with everything? His recovery. Who's available via draft and free agency. All that stuff has to be sorted out. There's no advantage to cut him now. We don't even know where we will draft. Could be bottom 20. Could be top 10.
I really dont need to see how he heals or anything else. He is injury prone or whatever you want to call it. If he can not stay on the filed and his 5 years in the league have pretty much confirmed it then there is really is no point in going forward with him. Even when healthy he had glaring weaknesses like mobility and pocket presence and awareness. Add in that he was not adept at touch passes either. A lot of this was said years ago about him and he has done nothing to change my mind. Sure he has a strong arm and for the most part accurate his decision making and reads are not that good. I wished only for the best for him and the rams but you have to see that it just not in the cards for him to be a franchise qb in the league because he can never stay on the field. Time for the rams to move on from Bradford. It was what it was. A bust.

scifiman

Yes but the problem is baggage and leverage. The Rams will have invested five years waiting for Bradford. They owe him one more year under the contract. A restructure usually means adding at least another year. Do the Rams really want to risk signing Bradford to multiple years with his injury risk?

If you think that SB would just agree to rip up his current contract and give the Rams a salary-cap friendly new one-year contract, that will not happen. SB's agent is the most cut-throat agent when it comes to representing QBs. He will say "we have a contract, SB will be healthy and ready to go at a high level in 2015, pay him or cut him." There are 31 other NFL teams without the baggage of his previous contract/injuries that would be happy to pay SB a prove-it contract, probably as much or more than the Rams would offer.

Sadly, the Rams have no leverage. They will either let him go and get nothing for those five years, or the "best case scenario" is pay him what's owed in the final year, hope he stays healthy and plays well, and in the middle of that season try to negotiate an extension -- where again he will hold all the leverage, but at least in this scenario the Rams would be winning in 2015.
I really, really hope we let him go. He will never, ever lead the rams to the superbowl.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Unless and until Bradford could conceivably show he is 100% healthy I would think that cutting him and signing him to at most an incentive laden contract would be the only logical course of action with him going forward.
Time for the rams to move on from Bradford. It was what it was. A bust.
Are fences comfortable? I've never really sat on one before.

scifiman

Well they tried to sign him to an extension this past offseason. But he's toast as the starter for the rams. I really liked him and wanted him to succeed, but time to move on.
100% agree. Time to move on from Sam Bradford. Let him be someone elses failed experiment.

scifiman

Are fences comfortable? I've never really sat on one before.
Huh? Dont get it. Maybe I'm dense. Both statements I made make sense using logic.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Huh? Dont get it. Maybe I'm dense. Both statements I made make sense using logic.
You started this thread saying it makes sense to cut him and re-sign him to an "incentive-laden" contract, and you ended it by saying it's time to move on, he's a bust (not worth signing again). That's fence-sitting. You either think he should come back (in some capacity) or never come back.

scifiman

Agents like Condon are paid to be the bad guy when it comes to contracts.
Some players like to grouse about money to the media, the smart ones let their agents do it.

In regards to Bradford's future I'd look for Condon to do whatever makes the most financial sense for his client.
The problem is I do not see one team in the NFL that would give him more than a make good contract or as a backup qb. He has too many injuries and lost games for any team to give him much. I dont think he has as much leverage as people think. He is brittle and other teams know it.