Connecting the dots...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm cool with multiple Rams trades in the 1st round. I can see us trading down twice. I don't know what's going to happen, but its going to be exciting, that's fur sur.

its what im hoping for. would be exciting for sure.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
its what im hoping for. would be exciting for sure.
Me too...I say trade down with the Falcons if they are interested...then trade down from 13 with one of the QB needy teams that might view 13 as the sweet spot.

Probably have to come down a little farther than truly ideal, but you could acquire extra picks and get a handful of quality starter/instant contributors with this being such a deep draft.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Based on all I've seen and heard, the vibe I'm getting with 15 days to go are...

Setting the stage:
Clowney and Mack are surely going in the top 3.
The first QB taken can go anywhere from #1 to the middle of the first round.

The Rams will take Clowney if he's there at #2, otherwise they have a deal in place with Atlanta for Mack.

At #6, the Rams will hope at least one of the 2 top OTs are there, and that no team trades up ahead of them causing both OTs to be gone. If both OTs are gone, then I think the Rams trade down again from #6, just like 2012.

The Rams aren't taking Watkins even if he's there at #6. They will use him as bait and trade down instead, probably with Detroit.

There will be multiple trades in the top 10 of this draft.

My best guess at this point is... The Rams will end up with Clowney at #2, or Robinson/Matthews at #6 plus Atlanta picks, or player X at #10 plus a boat load of picks.
So if we are stuck with Plan C and getting player X at pick #10, im gonna guess that it would be Mike Evans. Just like Brockers in 2012, not a bad back-up plan i must say.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Me too...I say trade down with the Falcons if they are interested...then trade down from 13 with one of the QB needy teams that might view 13 as the sweet spot.

Probably have to come down a little farther than truly ideal, but you could acquire extra picks and get a handful of quality starter/instant contributors with this being such a deep draft.
3 Trade downs in the 1st round? Trade back #2 twice, and then trade back #13. Wow!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only thing that is clear from any of the "dots" is that the Rams have put themselves in position to go almost any direction.

And that is exactly what Snead is all about. That guy wakes up in the morning thinking possibilities. He has gone through a zillion excursions in this draft. When you listen to Snead, it readily apparent that its just not in his makeup to fall in love with any one player. Snead lives and breathes draft possibilities. For better or worse, that's what he is.

And as much as I don't believe Snead is in love with Clowney, I believe he views Clowney as a value they can't pass on at #2.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome

I wouldn't mind having some extra picks in the 2nd or 3rd round this year. But hopefully they use whichever are tradable in the later rounds as not everyone of the picks is going to be able to make the team. And then use some of the compensation picks to stash away some guys who are injured but could be players later... (Brandon Thomas, Aaron Colvin, etc....)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I concur with Max, but I realize nobody is shocked over that. But if the Rams end up at six and they have the choice of Robinson or Matthews, IMO they go Matthews because if Fisher has proven anything is he's loyal to a fault and I think he wants a Matthews.

iced

Based on all I've seen and heard, the vibe I'm getting with 15 days to go are...

Setting the stage:
Clowney and Mack are surely going in the top 3.
The first QB taken can go anywhere from #1 to the middle of the first round.

The Rams will take Clowney if he's there at #2, otherwise they have a deal in place with Atlanta for Mack.

At #6, the Rams will hope at least one of the 2 top OTs are there, and that no team trades up ahead of them causing both OTs to be gone. If both OTs are gone, then I think the Rams trade down again from #6, just like 2012.

The Rams aren't taking Watkins even if he's there at #6. They will use him as bait and trade down instead, probably with Detroit.

There will be multiple trades in the top 10 of this draft.

My best guess at this point is... The Rams will end up with Clowney at #2, or Robinson/Matthews at #6 plus Atlanta picks, or player X at #10 plus a boat load of picks.

If clowney makes it to #2, I think we trade down with Atlanta then or take him. I don't think we get a trade without him, unless someone loves Mack. If we stay, the pick is Matthews or Watkins - part of the reasoning for that is the correlation between Snead's picks and their predraft workouts (not visits).

tbux

Rookie
I would bet anyone I know- we will start the draft with Watkins, Robinson, or Matthews. Dont see us taking Clowney or Mack or Evans. JMO- who knows for sure? nobody- bet Snead and Fisher dont even know for sure who they are taking yet. My best guess is they will trade down with the top pick- dont see us staying at 2. And I am sure they have their order of those three depending on who is there at 6.

fearsomefour

Legend
The most likely player a team would trade up for would be Clowney. I dont see anyone moving up for any of these QBs.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The most likely player a team would trade up for would be Clowney. I dont see anyone moving up for any of these QBs.
At this point I don't think anyone is trading up into the top 5 or 10 for a QB...but I definitely think there is a possibility teams will be interested in trading up into the middle of the first round.

tbux

Rookie

I agree Clowney is the one with most value for a trade- however I dont agree that nobody will trade up for one of the Qbs- If you are say Cle- and secretely LOVE Bortles and have any inclination that say Minn or Oak may take him- they may indeed trade up to block. QB is the most important position, and teams dont gamble their guy will drop to them- nor do they say to themselves "well we will just go with JM then"because it doesnt work that way. Teams generally fall in love with one and go after him. I would not be surprised at all to see a lot of moving up and down this year.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
If clowney makes it to #2, I think we trade down with Atlanta then or take him. I don't think we get a trade without him, unless someone loves Mack. If we stay, the pick is Matthews or Watkins - part of the reasoning for that is the correlation between Snead's picks and their predraft workouts (not visits).

I think Atlanta will trade up for either Clowney or Mack. They need a big time pass rusher desperately. I think the only way they get Clowney is if they trade up with Houston. Houston will do it because they will be happy with a QB at #6 and a boat load of extra picks. The Rams won't trade Clowney, but they will trade Mack.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
At this point I don't think anyone is trading up into the top 5 or 10 for a QB...but I definitely think there is a possibility teams will be interested in trading up into the middle of the first round.

Agree completely with this.

And that's another reason why Houston may trade out of #1 with someone who is crazy for Clowney. They aren't too worried about all the QBs being off the board in the top 10.

tbux

Rookie
I think Atlanta will trade up for either Clowney or Mack. They need a big time pass rusher desperately. I think the only way they get Clowney is if they trade up with Houston. Houston will do it because they will be happy with a QB at #6 and a boat load of extra picks. The Rams won't trade Clowney, but they will trade Mack.

I disagree- I think if they get a deal they want they will trade the #2 REGARDLESS of who is there. JMO

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think there's a 20% chance we get Clowney at #2.

a 70% chance we get one of the OTs at #6.

And a 10% chance we trade down further than #6.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I disagree- I think if they get a deal they want they will trade the #2 REGARDLESS of who is there. JMO

Of course anything is possible, but I think it would have to be an outrageous deal. They aren't trading Clowney for the normal draft value chart.

iced

yea but Atlanta has many holes and I doubt they'd give up a lot of capital for Mack when they can get Matthews/Robinson and address more holes

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Really?

What about what I wrote wasn't clear to you?

I understand the premises you present. None of them are clear to me though. Like Sum said, the Rams are open to go ANY direction with about a dozen different players. I'm prepared to not be surprised by their decisions in this draft. Expect the unexpected this year. I'm prepared to accept the fact that the Rams may trade all the way down with the Cowboys at 16 for a slew of picks if Clowney is still there at 2. What would that look like? 2015 #1, there 1st, 2nd, 3rd this year, maybe more?