Connecting the dots...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I disagree- I think if they get a deal they want they will trade the #2 REGARDLESS of who is there. JMO
My only concern counting on an Atlanta trade is if they will be willing to give up enough to move up. I mean there is a guy named Kony Ealy that isn't that much of a drop off from Clowney in some people's eyes. How do the Falcons view him and where can he be had?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If clowney makes it to #2, I think we trade down with Atlanta then or take him. I don't think we get a trade without him, unless someone loves Mack. If we stay, the pick is Matthews or Watkins - part of the reasoning for that is the correlation between Snead's picks and their predraft workouts (not visits).
This is what i'm thinking(hoping) too. The only thing that keeps bugging me is this: Atlanta doesn't have to move up to improve themselves. They can stay put at #6 and grab one of either Matthews/Robinson...and MAYBE even Mack.

Rams would surely ask for a 2nd rounder in return(they'd better!)....but again, if i'm Atlanta i'd have to REALLY love Clowney in order to do this and give up picks.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
yea but Atlanta has many holes and I doubt they'd give up a lot of capital for Mack when they can get Matthews/Robinson and address more holes

I don't believe Snead is asking for a lot for Mack. It will be a fair deal, nothing juicy. Snead actually said to Rich Eisen that any deal they have worked out ahead of time will not be changed to ask for more. I took that as a breadcrumb. It indicated to me that they have something in place with Atlanta for Mack that's fair to Atlanta. Probably nothing more than a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. That means even if Jax or someone else makes a better offer, Snead won't ask Atlanta for more.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This is what i'm thinking(hoping) too. The only thing that keeps bugging me is this: Atlanta doesn't have to move up to improve themselves. They can stay put at #6 and grab one of either Matthews/Robinson...and MAYBE even Mack.

Rams would surely ask for a 2nd rounder in return(they'd better!)....but again, if i'm Atlanta i'd have to REALLY love Clowney in order to do this and give up picks.

No way Mack is getting past #3.

iced

I don't believe Snead is asking for a lot for Mack. It will be a fair deal, nothing juicy. Snead actually said to Rich Eisen that any deal they have worked out ahead of time will not be changed to ask for more. I took that as a breadcrumb. It indicated to me that they have something in place with Atlanta for Mack that's fair to Atlanta. Probably nothing more than a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. That means even if Jax or someone else makes a better offer, Snead won't ask Atlanta for more.

I wouldn't assume it's just atlanta. I'm sure he has multiple deals in place ahead - snead has 2 years in a row.

RamsFan14

Starter
People do think we'll pick an OL in this draft (I think it's possible) but here's the mind f... Fisher has never picked an OL in the first round! What direction we go in the draft, I have no idea because you can make a case for so many things.

Fisher hasn't picked an OL in the first round.
We've spent picks on WRs in the last two drafts (first round pick on Austin, second round on Quick, third round on Bailey, and forth on Givens), so why go with Evans and Watkins? (yes I get it because they are talented, but with the previous statement in mind why draft them now?)
We have Quinn and Long on our defensive line... Do we need to spend a pick on Clowney or Mack?

Again, you can argue a lot of things. This draft is gana be nuts...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm cool with multiple Rams trades in the 1st round. I can see us trading down twice. I don't know what's going to happen, but its going to be exciting, that's fur sur.

I can see Snead trading down twice as well. He's proven he is willing to move, and move a lot, and this is a deep enough draft that if he has the chance to drop 4-6 spots from that 13th slot and pick up an extra 2nd rounder I bet he will. And if they move the #2 slot and end up with three seconds they could move back into the tail end of the first round and possibly pick up an extra third rounder in that process.

He has a lot of options because of the location of the two picks he holds. It's going to be fast and furious IMO.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Based on all I've seen and heard, the vibe I'm getting with 15 days to go are...

Setting the stage:
Clowney and Mack are surely going in the top 3.
The first QB taken can go anywhere from #1 to the middle of the first round.

The Rams will take Clowney if he's there at #2, otherwise they have a deal in place with Atlanta for Mack.

At #6, the Rams will hope at least one of the 2 top OTs are there, and that no team trades up ahead of them causing both OTs to be gone. If both OTs are gone, then I think the Rams trade down again from #6, just like 2012.

The Rams aren't taking Watkins even if he's there at #6. They will use him as bait and trade down instead, probably with Detroit.

There will be multiple trades in the top 10 of this draft.

My best guess at this point is... The Rams will end up with Clowney at #2, or Robinson/Matthews at #6 plus Atlanta picks, or player X at #10 plus a boat load of picks.

I'm in the minority I guess, I think there is no way they take Clowney at #2.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
People do think we'll pick an OL in this draft (I think it's possible) but here's the mind f... Fisher has never picked an OL in the first round! What direction we go in the draft, I have no idea because you can make a case for so many things.

Fisher hasn't picked an OL in the first round.
We've spent picks on WRs in the last two drafts (first round pick on Austin, second round on Quick, third round on Bailey, and forth on Givens), so why go with Evans and Watkins? (yes I get it because they are talented, but with the previous statement in mind why draft them now?)
We have Quinn and Long on our defensive line... Do we need to spend a pick on Clowney or Mack?

Again, you can argue a lot of things. This draft is gana be nuts...

But Fisher isn't the only guy making the decision on who to select, Snead factors in as well. Fisher never traded up to grab a WR either, but he did last year. So I don't buy into the whole thing about him not drafting OL in the first round. Maybe he didn't have a guy rated high enough or had bigger holes to fill when he was in TENN.

I agree its going to be nuts, I just used the term fast and furious and we are both right LOL.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
But Fisher isn't the only guy making the decision on who to select, Snead factors in as well. Fisher never traded up to grab a WR either, but he did last year. So I don't buy into the whole thing about him not drafting OL in the first round. Maybe he didn't have a guy rated high enough or had bigger holes to fill when he was in TENN.

I agree its going to be nuts, I just used the term fast and furious and we are both right LOL.

Interesting dynamic with Fisher and Snead. How much does Fisher trust in Snead to make the right call? What if Robinson and Matthews are both there at #6 when the Rams pick after a trade down? And what if Snead prefers Robinson and Fisher prefers Matthews? My guess is that they go with Matthews in that case.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Interesting dynamic with Fisher and Snead. How much does Fisher trust in Snead to make the right call? What if Robinson and Matthews are both there at #6 when the Rams pick after a trade down? And what if Snead prefers Robinson and Fisher prefers Matthews? My guess is that they go with Matthews in that case.

Yakow what Max.......that would be a good question for Kevin Demoff. You should add that to the interrogation forum..........I'd like to know how it would work out myself.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Yakow what Max.......that would be a good question for Kevin Demoff. You should add that to the interrogation forum..........I'd like to know how it would work out myself.

You just know that Demoff would say they are all on the same page and are in agreement on the rankings. Chances are it won't come down to that, anyway.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Atlanta will trade up for either Clowney or Mack. They need a big time pass rusher desperately. I think the only way they get Clowney is if they trade up with Houston. Houston will do it because they will be happy with a QB at #6 and a boat load of extra picks. The Rams won't trade Clowney, but they will trade Mack.

And what if the QB they want is gone by #6?

I don't believe teams just take their 2nd rated QB so casually. It's just not how that position is evaluated.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
And what if the QB they want is gone by #6?

I don't believe teams just take their 2nd rated QB so casually. It's just not how that position is evaluated.

You may be right, there is a possibility that they take their QB at #1.

Snead said that he feels we will know what Houston is doing no later than the night before the draft. It will leak out if they are committing to a QB or Clowney.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You may be right, there is a possibility that they take their QB at #1.

Snead said that he feels we will know what Houston is doing no later than the night before the draft. It will leak out if they are committing to a QB or Clowney.

Personally; I'm 50/50 on this one.

I see them taking Clowney.

Or...

I see them taking the QB they want, because 2015 brings no guarantees they can get their pick of the litter.

But; I don't see them trading down. It feels like one or the other above.

As always, could be wrong!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Sorry to mislead. No prospect (that I know of) is refusing to play for the Texans. Brandt suggested the possibility that the Texans may already be working on a deal with another team just to get more picks, and then still get a top prospect.
Welcome to ROD, Rad Man!