Connecting the dots...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Based on all I've seen and heard, the vibe I'm getting with 15 days to go are...

Setting the stage:
Clowney and Mack are surely going in the top 3.
The first QB taken can go anywhere from #1 to the middle of the first round.

The Rams will take Clowney if he's there at #2, otherwise they have a deal in place with Atlanta for Mack.

At #6, the Rams will hope at least one of the 2 top OTs are there, and that no team trades up ahead of them causing both OTs to be gone. If both OTs are gone, then I think the Rams trade down again from #6, just like 2012.

The Rams aren't taking Watkins even if he's there at #6. They will use him as bait and trade down instead, probably with Detroit.

There will be multiple trades in the top 10 of this draft.

My best guess at this point is... The Rams will end up with Clowney at #2, or Robinson/Matthews at #6 plus Atlanta picks, or player X at #10 plus a boat load of picks.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, that clears it up. :confused:

radjohns

UDFA
I wonder if Gil Brandt's suggestion of a Eli Manning/Philip Rivers type swap between Houston and another team near the top has any legs to it? It does seem as though the Rams are destined to pick an OT with their first pick though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if Gil Brandt's suggestion of a Eli Manning/Philip Rivers type swap between Houston and another team near the top has any legs to it? It does seem as though the Rams are destined to pick an OT with their first pick though.

Which consensus #1 pick has said they won't play for the Texans? More crap from the talking heads.

Last edited:

radjohns

UDFA
Which consensus #1 pick has said they won't play for the Texans? More cap from the talking heads.

Sorry to mislead. No prospect (that I know of) is refusing to play for the Texans. Brandt suggested the possibility that the Texans may already be working on a deal with another team just to get more picks, and then still get a top prospect.

tbux

Rookie
Sounds like all the misdirection is working! usually whatever most think a team will do is likely the opposite. Believe nothing right now. The Rams true intentions arent out there for all to see. Nobody has a clue- they are all guessing as many of us are.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry to mislead. No prospect (that I know of) is refusing to play for the Texans. Brandt suggested the possibility that the Texans may already be working on a deal with another team just to get more picks, and then still get a top prospect.

I don't believe it. No one is trading up to #1 for any of these QBs. No one needs a QB more than Houston, they aren't trading down to let someone else take a QB. There isn't that much of a disparity in how these teams value the QBs in this draft.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm torn.

A player like Matthews would probably be the best long term choice for the Rams. Another plus is they can trade down and still get him, maybe. So a great value and need prospect plus more picks. Win win.

But if the Rams are staring at a prospect like clowney at #2 how do they not take him? If he's there and the Rams trade out I may put my foot through the tv.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

But if the Rams are staring at a prospect like clowney at #2 how do they not take him? If he's there and the Rams trade out I may put my foot through the tv.

Not gonna happen. If Clowney is there at #2, he's a Ram.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont get how you came to the conclusion the rams wouldnt even consider Watkins at 6..

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm trying to connect the dots on our previous drafts under this regime, and while it is a little limited on info.....

Snisher like to draft positions in bunches: We had Tavon and Bailey at WR this past year, and a whole slew of LBers, We had Janoris and Tru + Quick and Givens in 2012, and they have taken at least one defensive player every year in the first round, with those being in the front seven.

What does all this mean? Probably nothing, but I like to find common denominators.

Going by this, I would guess that we are going to take one offense and one defense in the first round and I see lineman drafted in bunches this year.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I dont get how you came to the conclusion the rams wouldnt even consider Watkins at 6..

3 reasons for me.

1. I think they feel they've invested a lot in the WR position already. In 2 years, they've used a first, second, third, and fourth rounder on WRs. Plus Fisher sounds high on Britt, saying he's in great shape. Plus, Cook plays more like a big WR than a traditional TE. So I think they want to give those guys a chance to blossom. They'd have to start Watkins immediately and that would push those other guys down.

2. There's a bit of learning curve with rookie WRs, and I heard Steve Smith at Watkins pro day say Watkins has an issue with his route running, he has a hitch at the top of his routes that is a give away to DBs.

3. Dave Te Thomas said the Rams are not as high on Watkins as people think. He said he actually like Evans better himself.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'm trying to connect the dots on our previous drafts under this regime, and while it is a little limited on info.....

Snisher like to draft positions in bunches: We had Tavon and Bailey at WR this past year, and a whole slew of LBers, We had Janoris and Tru + Quick and Givens in 2012, and they have taken at least one defensive player every year in the first round, with those being in the front seven.

What does all this mean? Probably nothing, but I like to find common denominators.

Going by this, I would guess that we are going to take one offense and one defense in the first round and I see lineman drafted in bunches this year.

Excellent point!

Snead has said on prior occasions, that they want to fix one area at a time. So they went after Brockers to complete the DL. And they drafted 4 WRs in 2 years.

That supports my belief that they won't take Watkins this year.

I agree that they are gonna fix the OL for sure in this draft. My guess is they go after DBs as well.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Excellent point!

Snead has said on prior occasions, that they want to fix one area at a time. So they went after Brockers to complete the DL. And they drafted 4 WRs in 2 years.

That supports my belief that they won't take Watkins this year.

I agree that they are gonna fix the OL for sure in this draft. My guess is they go after DBs as well.

I think our first round is probably O-line and CB. Our pre-draft visits include the top 3 tackle prospects, and well as the top 3 CB prospects. Then again, we have had both Evans and Watkins in as well. One thing for sure is, they are preparing for every scenario. As a fan, this makes me feel comfortable that they will be ready for any scenario in the first round.

radjohns

UDFA
I don't believe it. No one is trading up to #1 for any of these QBs. No one needs a QB more than Houston, they aren't trading down to let someone else take a QB. There isn't that much of a disparity in how these teams value the QBs in this draft.
I think Brandt was saying that if this were to happen, Houston would be picking Clowney, not a QB, with the intention of trading him to another team. Maybe Houston turns around and pucks Mack in that scenario.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I hope that they end up with Robinson or Matthews. Clowney would be a luxury. I don't like the gambling. two years in a row they gambled and lost IMO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

I'm torn.

A player like Matthews would probably be the best long term choice for the Rams. Another plus is they can trade down and still get him, maybe. So a great value and need prospect plus more picks. Win win.

Because they know not one player solves everything or anything.

That's the most important thing to keep in mind. What's better, potentially 3 or 4 really good players or 1 superstar (that also has just that, potential)?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Based on all I've seen and heard, the vibe I'm getting with 15 days to go are...

Setting the stage:
Clowney and Mack are surely going in the top 3.
The first QB taken can go anywhere from #1 to the middle of the first round.

The Rams will take Clowney if he's there at #2, otherwise they have a deal in place with Atlanta for Mack.

At #6, the Rams will hope at least one of the 2 top OTs are there, and that no team trades up ahead of them causing both OTs to be gone. If both OTs are gone, then I think the Rams trade down again from #6, just like 2012.

The Rams aren't taking Watkins even if he's there at #6. They will use him as bait and trade down instead, probably with Detroit.

There will be multiple trades in the top 10 of this draft.

My best guess at this point is... The Rams will end up with Clowney at #2, or Robinson/Matthews at #6 plus Atlanta picks, or player X at #10 plus a boat load of picks.
I'm cool with multiple Rams trades in the 1st round. I can see us trading down twice. I don't know what's going to happen, but its going to be exciting, that's fur sur.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The only thing that is clear from any of the "dots" is that the Rams have put themselves in position to go almost any direction.