Chud still an option at OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The Colts and Chudzinski announced early Tuesday morning an agreement to name him associate head coach. Chudzinski, whose contract was set to expire, would have been able to interview with teams for other positions on Tuesday.

Would have been a good hire but probably not one for more than a year.

Hackett, someone internal or someone we have not heard mentioned yet.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
INDIANAPOLIS -- Rob Chudzinski is officially off the market for coordinator positions around the NFL.

The Colts named Chudzinski as their associate head coach Tuesday, announcing a deal that will keep the coveted former Browns coach in Indianapolis.

Chudzinski had been mentioned as a candidate for offensive coordinator positions with the Rams and 49ers, but Colts general manager Ryan Grigson had denied teams permission to interview him.

"We're excited to keep Chud in our family," Colts coach Chuck Pagano said in a statement. "He's been a critical part of our operation and we're looking forward to sharing even more success in the future."

Chudzinski, who was fired by the Browns after only one season as their coach in 2013, spent last season as special assistant to the head coach with the Colts. He and Pagano worked together at the University of Miami.

Chudzinski also served as offensive coordinator for the Panthers (2011-12) and the Browns (2007-08) and was the assistant head coach/tight ends with the Chargers (2009-10).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12235327/rob-chudzinski-remains-indianapolis-colts-coaching-staff

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Just throwing this out there:

what about Fassel? He's done a terrific job with our special teams, has "coached up" the ST's QB (Hekker), and seems to already have some OC experience. I'm not saying he's the be-all-end-all of OC's, just that if we can't find someone immediately, why not him? I'd feel more comfortable with him than promoting Boras, who's never had experience at that level.

Martz had never been an OC before Vermiel hired him. He was a WR coach with the Rams and then a QB coach with the Redskins.

Give the way this has shaken out, I'd take Boras as my first choice. Fassell has never been an OC either and has always been involved with special teams during his NFL career.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Martz had never been an OC before Vermiel hired him. He was a WR coach with the Rams and then a QB coach with the Redskins.

Give the way this has shaken out, I'd take Boras as my first choice. Fassell has never been an OC either and has always been involved with special teams during his NFL career.

Yes, that's very true. Borat may be ideal . . .then again, Flaj had never been a coordinator before and he failed under Spags. There is no way to know what will happen . .. he could be great, the next Martz or Chud. Or not.

Many of us marvel at the brand names . . . but plenty of times the off-brands work just as well or better. I wanted Chud, but certainly can live without him.

FRO

Legend
Yes, that's very true. Borat may be ideal . . .then again, Flaj had never been a coordinator before and he failed under Spags. There is no way to know what will happen . .. he could be great, the next Martz or Chud. Or not.

Many of us marvel at the brand names . . . but plenty of times the off-brands work just as well or better. I wanted Chud, but certainly can live without him.
Spag's whole staff was full of rookies at their positions. It was a stupid idea to surround himself, a rookie HC, with the most inexperienced staff ever.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spag's whole staff was full of rookies at their positions. It was a stupid idea to surround himself, a rookie HC, with the most inexperienced staff ever.
I'm not sure he had a lot of choice.

Just guessing... but it's probably harder for a first time head coach to get seasoned, veteran coaches.

Compare his resume to, say, Jeff Fisher... or Dick Vermiel and it might make sense why he had mostly rookie coaches on his staff.

FRO

Legend

Just guessing... but it's probably harder for a first time head coach to get seasoned, veteran coaches.

Compare his resume to, say, Jeff Fisher... or Dick Vermiel and it might make sense why he had mostly rookie coaches on his staff.
Quinn in Atlanta landed Shanahan. I think Spags chose his buddies.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Not only first time head coach... but one not inheriting much of anything except SJ and Chris Long (who still had development ahead of him) and their high draft choice was in a pretty crappy draft class.

Might have been easier to get people had Bradford been sitting there waiting for the Rams in 2009 instead of 2010.