Chris Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I will not disregard anyone on the offense until I see them play in an offense with a competent OC.

In Givens case, I will have to disagree with you. In fact, I will state the opposite ; Given's inability to run a simple route ends up in an incompletion and makes the O/C look bad.

For example, take the home game versus the Cowboys. Near the end of the 3rd Qtr, the Rams had a 3rd down at the Cowboys 28 yard line, from what I recall. Givens was lined up wide right and ran a 17 yard Dig route ..... down 17 - 18 yards and make a hard inside cut..... he ran the route with no dynamics, he rounded off the cut and the Cornerback jumped in and knocked the ball away. It was one of the worst attempts at running a route I had ever witnessed in a game.

Chris Givens is the weakest link......... bye bye

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
This subject of Givens brings up a situation that had me a bit peeved. First, when Fisher took over we had Greg Salas who I thought had good instincts and skills as a receiver. When Amendola went down with an injury, Salas filled in for him and played very ell. In fact, if I remember correctly, he had more YAC than Amendola did. Then when Fisher took over, they asked Salas to bulk up to play outside. For his stature, I thought it was a mistake. And, when training cap started he didn't get many opportunities to play. Later, he was traded to the Patriots.
Next, Fisher and Snead draft Givens. He had a little bit of success his rookie year, but since has looked very pedestrian. As far as running routes, he is poor, IMO. Yet, up to this day Fisher still has him on the roster. He let's a better player walk, but keeps the guy who he drafted who obviously has shown no improvement.

This one of Fisher's managerial decisions that I don't care for.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It would be great if Givens suddenly reemerged with Foles, but I wouldn't predict it. Foles needs go up and get it receivers like Britt and Quick. Givens needs bread basket throws it seems.

I could see Bailey having a solid season. Dude is Mr Reliable.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm not an expert on route running or receivers, but I watched Givens run a dig route where he was targeted and it was incomplete with a pass break up by the DB and it looked like a great play by the DB at first. Then later in the same game Bailey ran the dig route and it looked like he was playing a different game than Givens. Bailey is sharp and sudden with his cuts and Givens seems to have real trouble keeping his momentum while trying to change directions. Givens looks really stiff while he runs and I don't think it's a coincidence that he struggles to run crisp routes.

Great receivers have great body control IMO. Chris Givens has speed and that's it IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin cannot get off press coverage.

Getting off press coverage isn't the problem for Austin.

As far as Givens is concerned, the problem with him is that he won't fight for the ball or attack it in the air. He has to get open and you have to hit him basically in stride for him to be effective. He's just not reliable in traffic.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Getting off press coverage isn't the problem for Austin.

As far as Givens is concerned, the problem with him is that he won't fight for the ball or attack it in the air. He has to get open and you have to hit him basically in stride for him to be effective. He's just not reliable in traffic.
Thats because he wants nothing to do with traffic. I have watched him since the day he arrived in training camp, and its the same way in practice. He has the worst case of alligator arms I have ever seen, including on a simple quick slant. If he cant run a "9" route, or an intermediate come back route to the sideline, he is hearing footsteps as soon as the ball is in the air.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Real football talk here, thanks guys...
Foles needs go up and get it receivers like Britt and Quick
main reason why I like DGB...damn, I liked the way he looked at his pro day...If he's anything like Jordan Clarkson, better keep that dude in the state...effin beast!

Givens seems to have real trouble keeping his momentum while trying to change directions. Givens looks really stiff while he runs and I don't think it's a coincidence that he struggles to run crisp routes.
never thought of him as stiff, just not graceful...or a stop-start kinda guy...but I see what you're saying...

Givens was an ex-RB....in HS...seems to still not run wr routes...digs, slants, that arrow that gets all 6 ft tall guys open...and stop an go's...the easiest route to run IMO to get open deep....don't know what his problem is...or Tavon's...why we drafted him is a mystery....

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Givens is gone if Quick is healthy and we draft a WR. Otherwise he may still occupy a roster spot better utilized for someone else.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would have to disagree. Donald and Mason should both have good years, but I think that bailey will a huge asset to the team this year. Also, ogletree and TJ showed streaks of greatness last year, wouldn't be surprised to see them pour it on now that they really understand this defense.
Zach Stacy almost runs for 1,000 yards his rookie season.Bennie Is a steal as a UDFA .
Barrett Jones & Rhaney are The Rams only 2 centers.

FrankenRam

Starter
and yet, he averaged more than 5 yards per carry. Might not be flashy, but it was consistently effective. Everyone seems to think it was a colossal failure to hand the ball off to him. I just happen not to agree with that way of thinking. Where it broke down was they didn't build off of that, and get him into the passing game out of the backfield.

They couldn't get him the ball in the passing game with any consistency. So my question is, was that the fault of the QB, the Cooridnator, or may it just be that the player just isn't very good at running routes and getting where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there?

As far as Givens is concerned. He is the epitome of the "one trick pony". He is effective vs. straight man to man coverage, and can exploit defenses on crossing routes when he gets that sort of coverage. (same as Austin). What he won't do, is settle into a zone, and actually win a contested ball. What he won't do is go over the middle if there is any chance of contact. He has the dreaded "alligator arms". Can anyone remember him actually catching a simple slant, if there was any coverage on him at all? I can't.

If he is isolated on the outside, and they can occupy the safety, he may still get behind a CB on occasion. But like someone mentioned, once teams figured out that all they had to do was shade a safety to his side, they take him completely out of the game. His only chance of making this team, IMO, is if Quick isn't ready to start the season. But I can see someone like Emory Blake surpassing Givens in camp.

Amen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
WE could see these two WR's provide Givens a run for his job in training camp this summer.

Damian Williams signed a 1 year, $745,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including an average annual salary of $745,000. In 2015, Williams will earn a base salary of $745,000. Williams has a cap hit of $585,000.

Williams was a Jeff Fisher 3rd rd. selection in 2010. Has injury history.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1254859

Emory Blake signed a 2 year, $960,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including an average annual salary of $480,000. In 2015, Blake will earn a base salary of $435,000. Blake has a cap hit of $435,000.

Blake has been hanging on for a while now lurking on the PS. I thought he had a decent pre season in 2014. Oh did I mention that he went to Auburn?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
main reason why I like DGB...damn, I liked the way he looked at his pro day...If he's anything like Jordan Clarkson, better keep that dude in the state...effin beast!

DGB is very raw and will be a long term project. If he can stay out of trouble long enough to develop!

I too do not like Ogletree as a wide out. The idea seems ridiculous! :ROFLMAO:

Athos

Legend
DGB is very raw and will be a long term project. If he can stay out of trouble long enough to develop!

I dunno. He's isn't Quick raw and his athleticism for a guy that stands 6'5 plus a little is pretty insane.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Givens is a linear athlete. He has the moves and speed. But pretty much in one direction only. He's also limited by gator arms and a refusal to go over the middle/fight for the ball.

Smith is a much better version of Givens with, I think, better routes and fight in him.

As for pure deep threats though, my favorite may be the kid out of Miami.
I agree wholeheartedly on your assessment of Givens. It's his "competitiveness" or lack there of, that hinders him from making a progress leap.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I dunno. He's isn't Quick raw and his athleticism for a guy that stands 6'5 plus a little is pretty insane.

He really didn't do that much at Mizzou and, of course, Hasn't played since. So you are again drafting an unproven and undeveloped prospect with a high pick.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
WE could see these two WR's provide Givens a run for his job in training camp this summer.

Damian Williams signed a 1 year, $745,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including an average annual salary of $745,000. In 2015, Williams will earn a base salary of $745,000. Williams has a cap hit of $585,000.

Williams was a Jeff Fisher 3rd rd. selection in 2010. Has injury history.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1254859

Emory Blake signed a 2 year, $960,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including an average annual salary of $480,000. In 2015, Blake will earn a base salary of $435,000. Blake has a cap hit of $435,000.

Blake has been hanging on for a while now lurking on the PS. I thought he had a decent pre season in 2014. Oh did I mention that he went to Auburn?
Williams is quicker than fast, but not slow, around 4.5 guy. He was a good college player that ran good routes at USC. Not impressed with Blake.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I was being semi sarcastic redding but in all honesty after the LOS pressure he should be able to use his elusiveness, quickness and speed to create space against most any CB out there. After 5 yds advantage T.A