Chris Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Looking at highlight videos getting my myself excited for the draft I came across a Devin Smith video. He (like Givens) is a pure deep threat. It sparked my thoughts on Givens. I wondered why, with all the other receivers distracting from his double coverage, has he just gotten worse every year since his rookie year. Is it because he cant run deep routes? I don't think so. Is it because teams figured out how to stop him from making the big plays? Torrey Smith seems to still figure it out. So what did he have his rookie year that he didn't have the next two seasons? Answer: Sam Bradford. Clemens, Davis, and Hill all have two things in common: Semi weak arms and no deep accuracy. Enter Nick Foles. Foles throws a beautiful deep ball and is always looking for the deep pass first. If the rams don't come away with a Cooper or White in this draft, and Quick isn't ready, do you think Givens gets more of a shot? Our new coach said he designs plays around his players skill sets, so is it possible we get to see somewhat of a breakout year from Givens? What do you guys think?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Looking at highlight videos getting my myself excited for the draft I came across a Devin Smith video. He (like Givens) is a pure deep threat. It sparked my thoughts on Givens. I wondered why, with all the other receivers distracting from his double coverage, has he just gotten worse every year since his rookie year. Is it because he cant run deep routes? I don't think so. Is it because teams figured out how to stop him from making the big plays? Torrey Smith seems to still figure it out. So what did he have his rookie year that he didn't have the next two seasons? Answer: Sam Bradford. Clemens, Davis, and Hill all have two things in common: Semi weak arms and no deep accuracy. Enter Nick Foles. Foles throws a beautiful deep ball and is always looking for the deep pass first. If the rams don't come away with a Cooper or White in this draft, and Quick isn't ready, do you think Givens gets more of a shot? Our new coach said he designs plays around his players skill sets, so is it possible we get to see somewhat of a breakout year from Givens? What do you guys think?

If this is the case I expect a break out year for Austin.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, the 5th WR on the roster with a $1.542 base salary who offers little on special teams is probably not going to be on the team in September (barring injuries).

iced

Givens has a lot of issues with separation and his routes, which is what I think led to his downfall.. his rookie year, no one knew about him. After some film on him, you pretty much know what to expect. You can't alwyas just try to run by people in the NFL

I don't see him as a lock to make the roster next year - Britt, Quick, Austin, Bailey are all ahead of him on the depth chart and Givens doesn't have any ST value either.

ram007

Starter

IMO>The true break out players in 2015 will be Aaron Donald and hopefully Tre Mason. All other Rams players in Year 2 and 3 are meehh...

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I will not disregard anyone on the offense until I see them play in an offense with a competent OC.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
IMO>The true break out players in 2015 will be Aaron Donald and hopefully Tre Mason. All other Rams players in Year 2 and 3 are meehh...
If Bailey and Austin don't break out, we have a very big problem.

lockdnram21

Legend
If Bailey and Austin don't break out, we have a very big problem.
Not really depending if Quick comes back strong. If so i expect him and Britt to get most of the snaps. Not to say Bailey want still get snaps but he probably wouldnt get a lot. But to be honest i could see Bailey eventually taking over the slot

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think Austin could have a good year, provided we are a little more imaginative with him then running up the middle.

jjab360

Legend
I don't know that I would say this^ about Bradfords abilities!
So what did he have his rookie year that he didn't have the next two seasons? Answer: Sam Bradford. Clemens, Davis, and Hill all have two things in common: Semi weak arms and no deep accuracy.
Note the period after Bradford, then the start of a new sentence.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Not really depending if Quick comes back strong. If so i expect him and Britt to get most of the snaps. Not to say Bailey want still get snaps but he probably wouldnt get a lot. But to be honest i could see Bailey eventually taking over the slot
Well I think most of us believe Bailey is the better receiver of the two. But Tavon obviously has more potential. So yeah, I could see him taking over slot duties if Austin doesn't pan out.

Athos

Legend
Givens is a linear athlete. He has the moves and speed. But pretty much in one direction only. He's also limited by gator arms and a refusal to go over the middle/fight for the ball.

Smith is a much better version of Givens with, I think, better routes and fight in him.

As for pure deep threats though, my favorite may be the kid out of Miami.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what did he have his rookie year that he didn't have the next two seasons? Answer: Sam Bradford. Clemens, Davis, and Hill all have two things in common: Semi weak arms and no deep accuracy.
I've been a big supporter of Givens, and have defended him over the years. But as much as I'd like to agree with the above, Givens decline started when he had #8 back there as well.
For instance, in 2013
With Sam, 18 catches on 40 targets for 295 yards 16.4 ypc
Without, 16 catches on 43 targets for 274 yards 17.1 ypc
Marginal difference.
I had chalked it up to soph slump, but then last year was a total disaster
I hope you're right that with Foles penchant for throwing down-field lights a fire in him

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Givens reminds me a lot of Trung Canidate. Blazing straight line speed but he has to shift down to first gear to make a cut.