Chris Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Austin has the speed to take the top off a defence like Givens did in his rookie year but I'm curious to know why he isn't asked to do it more often. He had that one TD off Clemens against the colts (I think) where he caught it deep left but other than that I can't think of any other times he's done it.

Is it down to Schotty or, as someone else has mentioned, his inability to get off the press coverage? Is givens able to beat the press? Is that how he was able to take advantage of Bradford's arm for all those 50+ yard catches? If so then surely we keep him as he's the only one who has all the tools to be a deep threat.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
IMO>The true break out players in 2015 will be Aaron Donald and hopefully Tre Mason. All other Rams players in Year 2 and 3 are meehh...

I would have to disagree. Donald and Mason should both have good years, but I think that bailey will a huge asset to the team this year. Also, ogletree and TJ showed streaks of greatness last year, wouldn't be surprised to see them pour it on now that they really understand this defense.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
CG certainly hasn't helped himself the past 2 years, but he's also played his last 25 games with backup QBs who don't have the arm strength to throw a consistently accurate deep ball.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think Austin could have a good year, provided we are a little more imaginative with him then running up the middle.
and yet, he averaged more than 5 yards per carry. Might not be flashy, but it was consistently effective. Everyone seems to think it was a colossal failure to hand the ball off to him. I just happen not to agree with that way of thinking. Where it broke down was they didn't build off of that, and get him into the passing game out of the backfield.

They couldn't get him the ball in the passing game with any consistency. So my question is, was that the fault of the QB, the Cooridnator, or may it just be that the player just isn't very good at running routes and getting where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there?

As far as Givens is concerned. He is the epitome of the "one trick pony". He is effective vs. straight man to man coverage, and can exploit defenses on crossing routes when he gets that sort of coverage. (same as Austin). What he won't do, is settle into a zone, and actually win a contested ball. What he won't do is go over the middle if there is any chance of contact. He has the dreaded "alligator arms". Can anyone remember him actually catching a simple slant, if there was any coverage on him at all? I can't.

If he is isolated on the outside, and they can occupy the safety, he may still get behind a CB on occasion. But like someone mentioned, once teams figured out that all they had to do was shade a safety to his side, they take him completely out of the game. His only chance of making this team, IMO, is if Quick isn't ready to start the season. But I can see someone like Emory Blake surpassing Givens in camp.

ram007

Starter
I would have to disagree. Donald and Mason should both have good years, but I think that bailey will a huge asset to the team this year. Also, ogletree and TJ showed streaks of greatness last year, wouldn't be surprised to see them pour it on now that they really understand this defense.

I am not sold on Alec Ogletree. I would not be surprised if he is benched by end of year.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
and yet, he averaged more than 5 yards per carry. Might not be flashy, but it was consistently effective. Everyone seems to think it was a colossal failure to hand the ball off to him. I just happen not to agree with that way of thinking. Where it broke down was they didn't build off of that, and get him into the passing game out of the backfield.

They couldn't get him the ball in the passing game with any consistency. So my question is, was that the fault of the QB, the Cooridnator, or may it just be that the player just isn't very good at running routes and getting where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there?

As far as Givens is concerned. He is the epitome of the "one trick pony". He is effective vs. straight man to man coverage, and can exploit defenses on crossing routes when he gets that sort of coverage. (same as Austin). What he won't do, is settle into a zone, and actually win a contested ball. What he won't do is go over the middle if there is any chance of contact. He has the dreaded "alligator arms". Can anyone remember him actually catching a simple slant, if there was any coverage on him at all? I can't.

If he is isolated on the outside, and they can occupy the safety, he may still get behind a CB on occasion. But like someone mentioned, once teams figured out that all they had to do was shade a safety to his side, they take him completely out of the game. His only chance of making this team, IMO, is if Quick isn't ready to start the season. But I can see someone like Emory Blake surpassing Givens in camp.

It wasn't a colossal failure. Just a waste. we drafted him for big plays on the outside, screens stuff like that. Instead he's giving the HB a breather.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If Bailey and Austin don't break out, we have a very big problem.
Add to that B.Quick's shoulder recovery and if the draft card doesn't get turned in with Cooper or White's name on it. We would be kind of fucked. That's worst case scenario, of course.

The only receiving target i'm really concerned about is Tavon Austin because i think he's a punt returner and Brian Quick because of a nasty injury. I've really warmed up to the idea of praying that either Cooper or White falls to us at #10.
I like Britt, Cook and Kendricks as they are, and i do believe that Bailey has a bit of a breakout this season.

Givens is an afterthought.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Add to that B.Quick's shoulder recovery and if the draft card doesn't get turned in with Cooper or White's name on it. We would be kind of fucked. That's worst case scenario, of course.

The only receiving target i'm really concerned about is Tavon Austin because i think he's a punt returner and Brian Quick because of a nasty injury. I've really warmed up to the idea of praying that either Cooper or White falls to us at #10.
I like Britt, Cook and Kendricks as they are, and i do believe that Bailey has a bit of a breakout this season.

Givens is an afterthought.
Agreed. People tend to forget that Givens was a 4th round pick who was supposed to be a primary deep threat. Even though he hasn't done that in a couple years i believe we still shouldn't ever expect him to repeat his rookie season. But I agree on Austin. I want so bad for him to succeed. Some of the plays he's had and moves he's put on defenders are other worldly. I haven't seen that since Dante Hall. And I think Austin is a little better at it too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
On T.Austin:
I agree. The Mother of all Play action never came.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Givens surprised some teams early with his speed, but since then he been just a guy.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It wasn't a colossal failure. Just a waste. we drafted him for big plays on the outside, screens stuff like that. Instead he's giving the HB a breather.
Have you stopped to consider that they drafted Austin to provide the big plays on Special Teams, and that the reason he isn't seeing the ball on offense, is he just isn't the player everyone who drools over his highlight reels from WVU think he is at this level.

Fisher knew what he was getting when they drafted him,, He stood up at the PreDraft Party and said they "may draft someone to upgrade the return game". If that wasn't a dead give away, i don't know what is...

Just as people got frustrated with Brian Quick because it took him into his 3rd season to "get it",,, Austin is in the same boat, and until he figures out the mental side of the game,, how to run actual routes and not free lance all based on his skill set,, its not gonna get any better.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Have you stopped to consider that they drafted Austin to provide the big plays on Special Teams, and that the reason he isn't seeing the ball on offense, is he just isn't the player everyone who drools over his highlight reels from WVU think he is at this level.

Fisher knew what he was getting when they drafted him,, He stood up at the PreDraft Party and said they "may draft someone to upgrade the return game". If that wasn't a dead give away, i don't know what is...

Just as people got frustrated with Brian Quick because it took him into his 3rd season to "get it",,, Austin is in the same boat, and until he figures out the mental side of the game,, how to run actual routes and not free lance all based on his skill set,, its not gonna get any better.

I'm not putting down Austin at all if that's what you're thinking. But I do think his problems were more than just him last year.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Also, I'm just going to have to choose to believe that we didn't trade up just to get a primary punt returner.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I will say this about Givens, and others have said it as well;

1. He needs a QB that can get the ball further down field.
2. He could help himself with better routes.