Chip Kelly on Jared Goff: "He’s very accurate when he has a chance to get his feet set.”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The video is a bit misleading because it doesn't show the entire play. Goff isn't scrambling here. Goff slid left at the snap because he was reading that side of the field. He was moving back to the center of the pocket to buy extra time and move towards where Quick was. Quick needs to sit down on his route there.

Goff missed the throw. But Quick should have sat down. WRs are taught in those situations to sit down in the hole in the coverage and show the QB their numbers.
That's sort of my point if Goff is sliding to the left of the field, and Quick is running a inside slant then that means Goff and Quick are going to the same side. When Quick is running him and Goff are in perfect sync Goff sort of jumped and pass the ball and that's what caused the ball to be in complete. Quick wasn't running a option route to where he find the soft spot he was running a hard slant in the red zone and with Goff outside the pocket moving to where Quick was rilunning it's not hard to assume that Quick was expecting the ball to be place out in front. Honestly I don't think Goff saw Quick until it was too late and that cause the bad throw

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And taking another look at the video he definitely threw the ball hella late which makes it obvious he didn't even see Quick until it was too late Quick was already past the k and the s in the end zone before Goff threw the ball he had to stop and try to go back. That's just a late pass

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Should be interesting nevertheless. I expect a good game, and everyone will be jolly come Saturday.

I expect instant pressure on Goff and the Rams losing at home to the hapless whiners.

Sorry but I have absolutely zero faith in this staff or roster. Rams will find a way to screw it up because the Whiners' front seven is going to hit our sorry offense in the mouth again and they'll fold. Again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's sort of my point if Goff is sliding to the left of the field, and Quick is running a inside slant then that means Goff and Quick are going to the same side. When Quick is running him and Goff are in perfect sync Goff sort of jumped and pass the ball and that's what caused the ball to be in complete. Quick wasn't running a option route to where he find the soft spot he was running a hard slant in the red zone and with Goff outside the pocket moving to where Quick was rilunning it's not hard to assume that Quick was expecting the ball to be place out in front. Honestly I don't think Goff saw Quick until it was too late and that cause the bad throw

The difference between scrambling and sliding is that Goff ideally is going to stop moving before throwing the ball.(he didn't here which is why I refuse to put the blame on Quick) Every route in the NFL is an option route (in that players have discretion). A WR needs to have the awareness to recognize when he's sitting in a hole in the coverage and give his QB an easy target. Quick didn't do that here. He should have.

And Goff had plenty of time after he saw Quick to get his feet set. Quick had plenty of time to sit down. Neither guy did.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And taking another look at the video he definitely threw the ball hella late which makes it obvious he didn't even see Quick until it was too late Quick was already past the k and the s in the end zone before Goff threw the ball he had to stop and try to go back. That's just a late pass

I disagree. Goff spotted Quick right as he cleared the Seahawk defender. That wasn't the issue on the play.

Scirca

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I disagree.

ngymte.jpg

The ball is out of his hand before Quick gets past the W. Brian Quick is at the center of the W when the ball is in the air. @jrry32 (hopefully this clears it up, btw Goff actually threw it at the center of the W not on the sloped line of the letter W(I mistakenly said earlier) That makes it a big difference.

23sup1s.jpg

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree.

ngymte.jpg

The ball is out of his hand before Quick gets past the W. Brian Quick is at the center of the W when the ball is in the air. @jrry32 (hopefully this clears it up, btw Goff actually threw it at the center of the W not on the sloped line of the letter W(I mistakenly said earlier) That makes it a big difference.

23sup1s.jpg
Quick was open from the H and the A and Goff was looking at him the entire time that's when the ball should have came out he wanted till Quick was running past the w before he threw the ball and on top of that it was a defender right in front of Goff he had Quick stop more than likely the defender would have made a play on the ball as it was Goff had to throw the ball higher and behind Quick because of said defender blocking Goffs view.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The difference between scrambling and sliding is that Goff ideally is going to stop moving before throwing the ball.(he didn't here which is why I refuse to put the blame on Quick) Every route in the NFL is an option route (in that players have discretion). A WR needs to have the awareness to recognize when he's sitting in a hole in the coverage and give his QB an easy target. Quick didn't do that here. He should have.

And Goff had plenty of time after he saw Quick to get his feet set. Quick had plenty of time to sit down. Neither guy did.
It doesn't get any easier then being wide open. Look at the video again and tell me when Quick becomes open. He is open almost immediately and Goff just looks at him this is before he even start sliding and I don't believe every route is an option route if the play is designed for you to run a go route you do that in this case Quick was running a slant he wasn't running a soft curl To where you sit in the hole of the coverage. Goff just missed him hell it happens to every qb but we got to stop making excuses for Goff and when he messes up. Some of them are very warranted but every thing about the guy negative comes with an asterisk

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When you are THAT wide open ... just SIT! PUT IT ON HIM!!!!!!
fixed it for ya Redding!!!!

Do we get to contrast that throw with the perfectly thrown deep ball the week before to Quick?
Of course...again bad throws and drops happen when you add new pieces to an offense. Still, good QB's take advantage of what's there...when guys are open, hit them...drops, fumbles, sacks and everything else is going to still happen...and with us, more frequently than other teams.

Does this mean Goff is a bust, no. Playing bad...maybe. Worse than expected? Of course...but had he played in week one, many of the issues he's facing would have been eliminated back then. Pressure/drops/penalties are going to happen. How does he respond is the key.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Goff could have soft lobbed that ball, so I put it on Goff, even though I think Quick should have slowed down or sat once he cleared.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't get any easier then being wide open. Look at the video again and tell me when Quick becomes open. He is open almost immediately and Goff just looks at him this is before he even start sliding and I don't believe every route is an option route if the play is designed for you to run a go route you do that in this case Quick was running a slant he wasn't running a soft curl To where you sit in the hole of the coverage. Goff just missed him hell it happens to every qb but we got to stop making excuses for Goff and when he messes up. Some of them are very warranted but every thing about the guy negative comes with an asterisk

Quick wasn't running a slant. He was running a drag. Yes, every route is an "option route" in that a WR has discretion. For example, when a QB starts scrambling, WRs are expected to break off their routes and help out the scrambling QB ("scramble drill"). This is a similar scenario. When you are in a gigantic hole in the coverage and wide open, you're expected to sit down and show your QB your numbers to make it an easy throw.

It's not drawn up in the play. It's something that intelligent WRs do to make things easy on their QB. It's thinking on your feet.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quick wasn't running a slant. He was running a drag. Yes, every route is an "option route" in that a WR has discretion. For example, when a QB starts scrambling, WRs are expected to break off their routes and help out the scrambling QB ("scramble drill"). This is a similar scenario. When you are in a gigantic hole in the coverage and wide open, you're expected to sit down and show your QB your numbers to make it an easy throw.

It's not drawn up in the play. It's something that intelligent WRs do to make things easy on their QB. It's thinking on your feet.
You said he wasn't scrambling but sliding so that means Quick didn't have to break off his route and no he was running a slant if he was running a drag he would have been in front of the end zone not in the middle. Neither one of us know what should have happened on that play but when Goff stares down Quick for 5 seconds before he throws the ball and it's still incomplete then that's on the qb. Quick was open from the start of that play and Goff saw him the entire time an elite smart qb would have thrown the ball as soon as he saw him open

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You said he wasn't scrambling but sliding so that means Quick didn't have to break off his route and no he was running a slant if he was running a drag he would have been in front of the end zone not in the middle.

No, he was running a drag. I watched the play on coach's film. Quick was in the end-zone because we had two receivers on opposite sides of the field running drag routes to create a natural pick. Quick was going to collide with the defender covering Kendricks. To avoid that, he went over the top of him which led him up-field. That's actually what caused the coverage bust. The DB covering Quick thought the other DB was going to switch. The other DB thought that he was supposed to stick with his man. Both of the DBs ended up on Kendricks leaving Quick wide open.

I did say he was sliding. I specifically said "for example" when referring to the scramble drill. It was an example of WRs being expected to break off their routes to help out their QB regardless of whether there is an option drawn up in the play to counter your point that WRs only have options if there are options drawn into the route. WRs are given discretion in the NFL to make decisions on the fly that make the QB's job easier.

Neither one of us know what should have happened on that play but when Goff stares down Quick for 5 seconds before he throws the ball and it's still incomplete then that's on the qb. Quick was open from the start of that play and Goff saw him the entire time an elite smart qb would have thrown the ball as soon as he saw him open

No. This isn't accurate. The reason why I put the blame on Goff is because he didn't set his feet before throwing. It makes it impossible for me to judge whether it was an inaccurate throw or whether he was expecting Quick to sit down.

Goff was absolutely right to hold the ball, move in the pocket, and then throw to Quick. There was nobody around Quick. There was no reason to rush the pass. In fact, he still ended up rushing the pass which is why I put the blame squarely on him. On a play like that, once you identify the WR, you take your time and make the play as easy as possible for both of you. There's no reason to rush that throw.

When Goff spotted Quick, he was on the left-side of the pocket with Quick running right across the field. It would have been silly for him to throw it then. His body wasn't properly positioned, there wasn't a clear throwing lane, and there was no pressure on the play.

He made the right decision to take his time, move in the pocket to create a throwing lane, and get his body positioned properly. The one mistake he made was not taking the time to stop and set his feet before throwing.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, he was running a drag. I watched the play on coach's film. Quick was in the end-zone because we had two receivers on opposite sides of the field running drag routes to create a natural pick. Quick was going to collide with the defender covering Kendricks. To avoid that, he went over the top of him which led him up-field. That's actually what caused the coverage bust. The DB covering Quick thought the other DB was going to switch. The other DB thought that he was supposed to stick with his man. Both of the DBs ended up on Kendricks leaving Quick wide open.

I did say he was sliding. I specifically said "for example" when referring to the scramble drill. It was an example of WRs being expected to break off their routes to help out their QB regardless of whether there is an option drawn up in the play to counter your point that WRs only have options if there are options drawn into the route. WRs are given discretion in the NFL to make decisions on the fly that make the QB's job easier.

No. This isn't accurate. The reason why I put the blame on Goff is because he didn't set his feet before throwing. It makes it impossible for me to judge whether it was an inaccurate throw or whether he was expecting Quick to sit down.

Goff was absolutely right to hold the ball, move in the pocket, and then throw to Quick. There was nobody around Quick. There was no reason to rush the pass. In fact, he still ended up rushing the pass which is why I put the blame squarely on him. On a play like that, once you identify the WR, you take your time and make the play as easy as possible for both of you. There's no reason to rush that throw.

When Goff spotted Quick, he was on the left-side of the pocket with Quick running right across the field. It would have been silly for him to throw it then. His body wasn't properly positioned, there wasn't a clear throwing lane, and there was no pressure on the play.

He made the right decision to take his time, move in the pocket to create a throwing lane, and get his body positioned properly. The one mistake he made was not taking the time to stop and set his feet before throwing.
Ok

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just can't wait until these excuses stop and Goff can just take off

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just can't wait until these excuses stop and Goff can just take off

Criticizing both Goff and Quick for their mistakes on a given play isn't an excuse. It's simply holding each player accountable.

Yes, I am frustrated that Quick still isn't showing the awareness that you generally need to see out of a WR in his 5th year in the NFL.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Criticizing both Goff and Quick for their mistakes on a given play isn't an excuse. It's simply holding each player accountable.

Yes, I am frustrated that Quick still isn't showing the awareness that you generally need to see out of a WR in his 5th year in the NFL.
We all know Quick haven't develop like he should have, you have made some excuses for Goff because that's your guy the same way I do for guys I like that's just human nature at the same time though every time something happens that's negative the blame go on the other guy but if Goff makes a throw even if it's bad but it gets caught it's all Did you see that throw from Goff. You can't ignore the things that he isn't doing right yet honestly the only thing I really have a problem with is the fumbling everything else will sort itself out. You know I'm not a big fan of Goff but I'm trying to see the positive but when I see game after game of him missing layups that becomes worrisome

Bruce2980

Starter
I expect instant pressure on Goff and the Rams losing at home to the hapless whiners.

Sorry but I have absolutely zero faith in this staff or roster. Rams will find a way to screw it up because the Whiners' front seven is going to hit our sorry offense in the mouth again and they'll fold. Again.
Are you predicting more plays where the entire Rams O-Line whiffs:headexplosion: on all of their pass protection blocks on the same play, at the snap,:help: allowing Goff to get sacked:dizzy: before he even takes two steps back? But they are so much better at pass pro than run blocking.:giveup: Kinda reminds me of the Three Stooges,:ROFLMAO: except there are five of them, and instead of :ROFLMAO:, I start :cry:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all know Quick haven't develop like he should have, you have made some excuses for Goff because that's your guy the same way I do for guys I like that's just human nature at the same time though every time something happens that's negative the blame go on the other guy but if Goff makes a throw even if it's bad but it gets caught it's all Did you see that throw from Goff. You can't ignore the things that he isn't doing right yet honestly the only thing I really have a problem with is the fumbling everything else will sort itself out. You know I'm not a big fan of Goff but I'm trying to see the positive but when I see game after game of him missing layups that becomes worrisome

This is just a wrong post. It's especially wrong in light of this thread. I put the blame squarely on Goff for that miss.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Defenses are designed to keep quarterbacks from getting comfortable in the pocket, so he should get used to the fact that he may not have the luxury of a perfect drop and set.

tell that to this guy.

I2sO0ff%2B-%2BImgur.gif