Chip Kelly on Jared Goff: "He’s very accurate when he has a chance to get his feet set.”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it this throw that he is talking about?
@LACHAMP46

I'm not sure what the video is trying to prove. That is Goff's fault. He needs to set his feet and loft it a bit to make it easier for Quick. Instead, he threw it behind him.

However, I'll also say that Quick showed off his lack of awareness. A savvy veteran WR would have sat down on that route. He's wide open. Make yourself an easy target for the CB.

EDIT: Just rewatched the play on coach's film, yep, I stand by what was said above. Goff threw the ball off his back-foot on the move rather than setting his feet when he saw Quick open. That isn't a surprise. It happens to rookie QBs. They are so used to NFL windows closing quickly that they end up rushing a gimme like that.

However, Quick didn't help his QB out. There was nobody around him. By continuing to run his route, he was running towards the only Seahawk defender on that side of the field. Quick needs to sit down and make himself an easy target on that sort of play.

Basically, Goff is at fault for not making the throw. But Quick still has a lot to learn about the nuances of the game. He could have made that a very easy throw.

Last edited:

Scirca

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure what the video is trying to prove. That is Goff's fault. He needs to set his feet and loft it a bit to make it easier for Quick. Instead, he threw it behind him.

However, I'll also say that Quick showed off his lack of awareness. A savvy veteran WR would have sat down on that route. He's wide open. Make yourself an easy target for the CB.

If you watch the video slowly(.25 speed), Goff is expecting him to sit down, but the wide receiver kept running. Miscommunication and a little panic on Goff's end. Still it's not the end of the world. He had 2 wide receivers drop easy touchdowns. 3 actually but, one was good play by the corner back knocking it out of the WR's hands.(Though Dez Bryant would have made that catch.)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
@jrry32 @-X- @T-REX @Legatron4
d1f32c54d746f1f32f0ca78e532d98c2.gif

\
This kid is special. I can't picture any quarterback in the NFL besides Aaron Rodgers that could make that throw.
Ha! Good call!
Actually, I was thinking of this one...

Goff.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you watch the video slowly(.25 speed), Goff is expecting him to sit down, but the wide receiver kept running. Miscommunication and a little panic on Goff's end. Still it's not the end of the world. He had 2 wide receivers drop easy touchdowns. 3 actually but, one was good play by the corner back knocking it out of the WR's hands.(Though Dez Bryant would have made that catch.)

It's hard to say. I've watched the play many times. I can't tell if Goff expected him to sit down or just through an inaccurate ball. Based on his lower body mechanics, I've just chalked it up to an inaccurate pass.

Scirca

Rookie
It's hard to say. I've watched the play many times. I can't tell if Goff expected him to sit down or just through an inaccurate ball. Based on his lower body mechanics, I've just chalked it up to an inaccurate pass.
He threw the ball slightly before his receiver crossed the final sloped line of the letter W in the name Seahawks thats written in the endzone. Look for that in the film.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He threw the ball slightly before his receiver crossed the final sloped line of the letter W in the name Seahawks thats written in the endzone. Look for that in the film.

I've watched it multiple times. There's nothing conclusive.

Scirca

Rookie
I've watched it multiple times. There's nothing conclusive.

Did you check to see where the ball hit the turf in the name Seahawks(endzone)? It landed in the center of the letter K. The throw was initiated before the receiver crossed the W. The ball is in the air after the last sloped line of the letter W and arrived at the center of the letter K.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you check to see where the ball hit the turf in the name Seahawks(endzone)? It landed in the center of the letter K. The throw was initiated before the receiver crossed the W. In the Air after the last sloped line of the letter W and arrived at the center of the letter K.

Yes. I watched it from different angles on coaches film many times. I cannot tell if it was an inaccurate pass or if Goff thought Quick would sit down. If Goff had set his feet, it would be clear. Since he did not, it could be either one.

Scirca

Rookie
Yes. I watched it from different angles on coaches film many times. I cannot tell if it was an inaccurate pass or if Goff thought Quick would sit down. If Goff had set his feet, it would be clear. Since he did not, it could be either one.

Look at Brian Quick's head, he was looking at Goff the entire time after he changed direction( as soon as he was wide open.) From Goff's perspective , it looked like Quick wanted to sit on the route but Quick kept moving, which led to miscommunication.

Edit: They were looking at each other the whole time after Brian Quick got open.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at Brian Quick's head, he was looking at Goff the entire time after he changed direction( as soon as he was wide open.) From Goff's perspective , it looked like Quick wanted to sit on the route but Quick kept moving, which led to miscommunication.

Edit: They were looking at each other the whole time after Brian Quick got open.

You're entitled to your interpretation of the play. Like I said, I can't concur with it because of the lack of conclusive evidence either way.

Scirca

Rookie
You're entitled to your interpretation of the play. Like I said, I can't concur with it because of the lack of conclusive evidence either way.

It's fine, Saturday's game can't come any sooner.

Edit: I just want to watch more Ram football.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
He coulda been throwing it to Issac Bruce.....I just cant tell. Its inconclusive. Cant prove that he wasnt throwing it to Issac Bruce.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Should be interesting nevertheless. I expect a good game, and everyone will be jolly come Saturday.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it this throw that he is talking about?
@LACHAMP46

Naw Quick did right he was running in flow with Goff they were on the same plane Goff just had to put the throw out in front instead he threw it behind him Quick was right Goff was wrong this is one of those cases if Quick would have stopped and Goff throws the ball to the corner then everybody on Quick saying why did he stop. The fact is in that situation Quick was wide open all you have to de is lead him in I'm sure Goff will say the same thing

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Naw Quick did right he was running in flow with Goff they were on the same plane Goff just had to put the throw out in front instead he threw it behind him Quick was right Goff was wrong this is one of those cases if Quick would have stopped and Goff throws the ball to the corner then everybody on Quick saying why did he stop. The fact is in that situation Quick was wide open all you have to de is lead him in I'm sure Goff will say the same thing

The video is a bit misleading because it doesn't show the entire play. Goff isn't scrambling here. Goff slid left at the snap because he was reading that side of the field. He was moving back to the center of the pocket to buy extra time and move towards where Quick was. Quick needs to sit down on his route there.

Goff missed the throw. But Quick should have sat down. WRs are taught in those situations to sit down in the hole in the coverage and show the QB their numbers.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The video is a bit misleading because it doesn't show the entire play. Goff isn't scrambling here. Goff slid left at the snap because he was reading that side of the field. He was moving back to the center of the pocket to buy extra time and move towards where Quick was. Quick needs to sit down on his route there.

Goff missed the throw. But Quick should have sat down. WRs are taught in those situations to sit down in the hole in the coverage and show the QB their numbers.
Exactly

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

This is what I thought when it saw the play.
To me it's just in experiance with one another.
Quick was in a soft spot and should have stopped.
Goff also should should have led Quick sense he didn't stop.