CB Trumaine Johnson to play under franchise tag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
CB Trumaine Johnson to play under franchise tag
ESPN.com news services

[espn.go.com]

Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson will play the 2016 season under the non-exclusive franchise tag (worth $13,952,000) after the sides failed to strike a long-term deal by Friday's deadline.

The Rams entered the offseason with both starting cornerbacks, Johnson and Janoris Jenkins, as unrestricted free agents. Los Angeles chose to tag Johnson, and Jenkins left the team to sign a five year, $62.5 million contract with the New York Giants.

Johnson made a big leap in 2015 as teams tested him more regularly than Jenkins. He tied for third in the NFL with seven interceptions and led the team with 12 pass breakups.

After the season, Johnson told ESPN that he hoped to return to the team but understood the business side of the league.

"It is a business," Johnson said. "The last few years seeing it, being in this locker room seeing guys go, people taking money, people taking pay cuts, you have got to do what's best for you and your family when it comes down to it. So we'll see."

In his four NFL seasons, Johnson has 15 interceptions, the fourth most in the NFL in that time and the most among players taken in the 2012 draft.

The Rams used a third-round pick on Johnson in that draft after selecting Jenkins in the second round.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
"It is a business," Johnson said. "The last few years seeing it, being in this locker room seeing guys go, people taking money, people taking pay cuts, you have got to do what's best for you and your family when it comes down to it. So we'll see."

Translation: "I'm going to see how much I can get in free agency".

@tempests I'm afraid you are probably correct.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Likely his last year in horns.

It is what it is...Rams will have to make a strong effort to keep him and factor in Los Angeles and that the reason he was drafted where he was is because he played with DB Coach Brandon Fisher at Montana.

Hope Rams do keep him, but if not I am confident in the coaching staff to develop defensive backs and get ready for this selection in the 2nd round of the 2017 NFL Draft.

Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

JRobinson

MiLB
I would just hate to see one of our own walk out on us.... again. Jenkins did it, and Trumaine likely will too if we don't meet the bill. Like others, I too believe the coaching staff can find playmakers. But, we've already found them AND developed them. We have to hold on to our own at some point.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I never expected him to get a long term contract done this year. We'll see what the future holds!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It seems that a team has to overpay their players to keep them, unless that team is the Patriots....the system is broken.

RamWoodie

Legend
Not sure where this goes but I know the franchise tag is a start. This was probably planned until the Rams are in a better cap situation than they are now.

Trumaine gets a nice one year contract which is a start for negotiations next year...and it's anybody's guess as to how that goes.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It is what it is...Rams will have to make a strong effort to keep him and factor in Los Angeles and that the reason he was drafted where he was is because he played with DB Coach Brandon Fisher at Montana.

Hope Rams do keep him, but if not I am confident in the coaching staff to develop defensive backs and get ready for this selection in the 2nd round of the 2017 NFL Draft.

Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee
And in today's NFL, you deal with these issues every year. He may move on but I'd take that over having to sign big name FAs every year. We are drafting well and building the team the right way IMO. This is a huge about face from previous years and it will take some time to set the nucleus.

We need veteran leadership on this team and I really hope we can keep most of our team in tact each season. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tru signs with us after this season. But if he wants JJ type numbers it's going to have to be the next man up. I have to think though, if JJ and McLeod don't light it up in their new homes, there has to be a settling effect as GMs will wonder how much is system and how much is player.

I don't want to lose Tru but it may happen due to the nature of the beast.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe a little more loyalty somehow..I know thats an outdated notion....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

The rookie cap is driving more players to test free agency rather than signing an extension one or two years before they would get to free agency.

The cap keeps going up, and agents and players know that GM's and owners go nuts if they have cap space. Look at the contracts that we are seeing. It's in need of repair.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The rookie cap is driving more players to test free agency rather than signing an extension one or two years before they would get to free agency.

The cap keeps going up, and agents and players know that GM's and owners go nuts if they have cap space. Look at the contracts that we are seeing. It's in need of repair.
So instead of over paying for their first contract teams are having to over pay for the 2nd contract.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It seems that a team has to overpay their players to keep them, unless that team is the Patriots....the system is broken.

Winning fixes that broken system. Most players will sign for less money if they know the team they are signing with has a legit shot at a ring. And once TruJo gets a taste of that playoff pie, he will be more likely to sign a new contract that will keep him with the Rams and close to home.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

Sounds like it's a win for the players and the teams. They play 4 to 5 years on a relatively cheap contract and after they prove themselves they get the big pay day. No need for repair.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
The only players worth breaking the bank for new deals are Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, and Aaron Donald. If TJ wants to test FA, that's fine by me, even though I despise the Pats, their model of signing players for what they're worth is quite respectable. Once that nucleus is fortified, we'll experience double-digit wins year by year.

In retrospect, Long and Laurinaitis were overpaid but we were in the rebuilding stage at the time. Now we have a good nucleus where we have leverage not to overpay above average players.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sounds like it's a win for the players and the teams. They play 4 to 5 years on a relatively cheap contract and after they prove themselves they get the big pay day. No need for repair.

The original idea was that teams would have more money to pay their own vets and keep them because the rookies wouldn't cost as much and you never know if the guys you drafted are going to be any good anyway.

Instead we are seeing players jump ship for the "big payday"

It needs a tweak or three and IMO they should borrow a couple of ideas from the NBA, though not all of them.

@OldSchool sort of, except often someone else overpays and you have no shot to keep your guys. They don't call the first week of free agency "the silly period" for nothing LOL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The only players worth breaking the bank for new deals are Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, and Aaron Donald. If TJ wants to test FA, that's fine by me, even though I despise the Pats, their model of signing players for what they're worth is quite respectable. Once that nucleus is fortified, we'll experience double-digit wins year by year.

In retrospect, Long and Laurinaitis were overpaid but we were in the rebuilding stage at the time. Now we have a good nucleus where we have leverage not to overpay above average players.

Well said.

I like Trumaine. I am just not convinced he's worth a big extension.

If he signed a reasonable deal, I'm down. But this roster needs to keep Donald, Gurley, and Goff. I'd even toss in Tavon as a player I'd consider more "franchise" than Trumaine.

Of course, if he duplicates 2015 this year... I'm a believer. Just not there yet.