CB Trumaine Johnson to play under franchise tag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Rams priority in terms of continuity seems to be the front seven and the front four more specifically...while drafting, farming and developing for the secondary. While it's easy to just say "well yeah that's where the talent is" i think it's pretty calculated in terms of team philosophy with Fisher. The premium talent(and money) goes to the DLine.

The Rams have proven they can develop talent in the secondary, and let's be honest, they can't keep, re-sign and retain EVERYONE. No team can. I wouldn't be surprised if TruJ is gone after 2016 and we see guys like Joyner, Roberson, TJMac, Mo Alexander, Gaines and another draft pick or two plus UDFA's enter the mix as the core. As long as the pass rush remains fierce and deep i think it's a wise approach in both football and financial terms. The big picture.

I'm not sure that having an expensive elite CB making Patrick Peterson, Josh Norman, Richard Sherman-type money is the answer. An elite pass rush is more important than an elite secondary. It's debatable of course but that's the way i see it. I think the Rams may see it the same way.

JMO

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
:redcard:
W28tx6T.gif

RamWoodie

Legend
Not sure they will be in a better situation than this year over the next 2-3 years. Look at the number of players that they will have to decide as "core" and how much to pay them... TruJ, Brockers, T Austin, Ogletree, TJMc, GRob, Davis vs Bryant, Gaines, Robertson, Quinn, &Kendricks. Gotta pay at minimum half of them and it will cost dollars.​
Which is all based on management and drafting "the next man up". This is the way the system works, and you deal with each case as they come up..

The decided to buy time on Tru...but decided Jenkins could walk. Just as you named the players coming up decisions are being made or have been made.

This is not an argument...it's the reality that every NFL team has to deal with.

tempests

Hall of Fame
i think it's pretty calculated in terms of team philosophy with Fisher. The premium talent(and money) goes to the DLine.
An elite pass rush is more important than an elite secondary. It's debatable of course but that's the way i see it. I think the Rams may see it the same way.

My impression of Fisher from his Tenn days was that he prized a top secondary just as much as a top defensive line. Blaine Bishop was the heart and soul of his defense, the rare safety who could play the run like a linebacker and cover like a corner. Samari Rolle could shut down half the field.

He's not dealing with the cap hell he did in Tenn. I assume he's willing to resign his best players regardless of position.

It could be that Fisher and Williams still haven't gotten what they want out of this secondary. RL, JJ and TJ are all good players, but none of them have done for Fisher what Bishop and Rolle did.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams priority in terms of continuity seems to be the front seven and the front four more specifically...while drafting, farming and developing for the secondary. While it's easy to just say "well yeah that's where the talent is" i think it's pretty calculated in terms of team philosophy with Fisher. The premium talent(and money) goes to the DLine.

The Rams have proven they can develop talent in the secondary, and let's be honest, they can't keep, re-sign and retain EVERYONE. No team can. I wouldn't be surprised if TruJ is gone after 2016 and we see guys like Joyner, Roberson, TJMac, Mo Alexander, Gaines and another draft pick or two plus UDFA's enter the mix as the core. As long as the pass rush remains fierce and deep i think it's a wise approach in both football and financial terms. The big picture.

I'm not sure that having an expensive elite CB making Patrick Peterson, Josh Norman, Richard Sherman-type money is the answer. An elite pass rush is more important than an elite secondary. It's debatable of course but that's the way i see it. I think the Rams may see it the same way.

JMO

Someone posted some stats here a while back that proved that a corner is the most valuable part of a defense...or something like that. I wish I could recall the thread. It was very convincing.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Someone posted some stats here a while back that proved that a corner is the most valuable part of a defense...or something like that. I wish I could recall the thread. It was very convincing.

The importance of a great cb is such a good topic for debate in todays game. Personally, I use to think having a great cb or 2 was needed but with all the changes to the rules that benefit the offense its almost impossible to be a lockdown cb anymore. I feel like in today game is tough to commit so much money to a cb unless they are truly elite, and I really only think theres a handful of them in the league right now, none of which are (or were) on the rams

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The importance of a great cb is such a good topic for debate in todays game. Personally, I use to think having a great cb or 2 was needed but with all the changes to the rules that benefit the offense its almost impossible to be a lockdown cb anymore. I feel like in today game is tough to commit so much money to a cb unless they are truly elite, and I really only think theres a handful of them in the league right now, none of which are (or were) on the rams

I think with the sophistication of passing offenses that good to great corners are a necessity to be a team that can go deep into the playoffs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I think it is. Having an up and coming team like the Rams potentially lose two top corners that they drafted and coached up to be good and have them compensated with the equivalent of a top 4th round pick is a broken system. The compensation should be based on what the player earns. If he is the highest paid at his position then the compensation should be more, like a first round pick which equals a top of the order 2nd round pick in reality. If the player is paid top 5 money then the pick should be a 2nd round compensatory pick, which would equal a top of the 3rd round choice.

I understand how the draft works and agree with it. But free agency is a different animal. If a team is drafting well and/or coaching well then they should not be penalized for it. If they are manufacturing good football players that other teams covet then they should be compensated for the good work. I am not straying all that far from the existing system. I am suggesting to rate the quality of the players that leave with more scrutiny based on the money the receive is all.