CB Trumaine Johnson to play under franchise tag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The original idea was that teams would have more money to pay their own vets and keep them because the rookies wouldn't cost as much and you never know if the guys you drafted are going to be any good anyway.

Instead we are seeing players jump ship for the "big payday"

It needs a tweak or three and IMO they should borrow a couple of ideas from the NBA, though not all of them.

@OldSchool sort of, except often someone else overpays and you have no shot to keep your guys. They don't call the first week of free agency "the silly period" for nothing LOL.
Yes I understand that LesBaker but that's exactly what's happening for the most part. The player's mentioned like AD and Miller are in a different class than TJ. If he wants to wait for FA next season he can but to pay him top CB money is crazy. They still have this season to see how it pans out. They could still sign him to a long term contract. As for the CBA how would you tweak it? How would you stop a player from getting a big payday? If they have outplayed their rookie contracts they deserve to get paid. I understand that it sucks losing some of our players to FA but every team goes through the same thing. We just have to keep drafting smart. I like the system it gives a lousy team a chance to get better through the draft and just avoid overspending for overrated FAs

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
It seems that a team has to overpay their players to keep them, unless that team is the Patriots....the system is broken.

I disagree. The system is generally working as it was suppose to. Rookies are initially getting less of the salary pie and players who are drafted and then who have produced reap the rewards in Free Agency.​

Not sure where this goes but I know the franchise tag is a start. This was probably planned until the Rams are in a better cap situation than they are now.

Trumaine gets a nice one year contract which is a start for negotiations next year...and it's anybody's guess as to how that goes.

Not sure they will be in a better situation than this year over the next 2-3 years. Look at the number of players that they will have to decide as "core" and how much to pay them... TruJ, Brockers, T Austin, Ogletree, TJMc, GRob, Davis vs Bryant, Gaines, Robertson, Quinn, &Kendricks. Gotta pay at minimum half of them and it will cost dollars.​

We need veteran leadership on this team and I really hope we can keep most of our team in tact each season. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tru signs with us after this season. But if he wants JJ type numbers it's going to have to be the next man up. I have to think though, if JJ and McLeod don't light it up in their new homes, there has to be a settling effect as GMs will wonder how much is system and how much is player.

Agreed, we need a veteran leadership core. Just do not know who that is outside of Quinn, Donald, TruJ, & Ogletree (if they signs), and Gurley, Havenstien and hopefully Goff if he pans out (not played a down on the offense yet). Outside of that., see my previous answer for other potential candidates. And we are short of draft choices to restock over the next year or so.​

I don't want to lose Tru but it may happen due to the nature of the beast.

TruJ was drafted in the 3rd round, this is likely his only chance to get paid. Got to press his leverage his now.​

Maybe a little more loyalty somehow..I know thats an outdated notion....

Why do we (fans) demand or want loyalty from players but do expect the same from the teams. Name the teams that re did a contract when I player played beyond it? How many times do teams force a player to take a pay cut sole for cap reasons. Players have to use their leverage when it presents itself just like teams.​

The rookie cap is driving more players to test free agency rather than signing an extension one or two years before they would get to free agency.

The cap keeps going up, and agents and players know that GM's and owners go nuts if they have cap space. Look at the contracts that we are seeing. It's in need of repair.

Do not understand why you claim that the system is broken when some players get paid (based on production). Most transactions are about players forced to take less money. We have to continue to draft as well or do better. We have also have to get away from targeting one specific group in a draft. The FA risk are too high.​

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Orchid, we disagree....I can accept the mercenary aspect of the game, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. In almost all of the big sports, players move around like hobo's...Kids don't get to watch their favorite players on the same team for years. I used to know every players stats and positions for my Dodgers until that strike in the 1990's (MLB). Now, I can name a couple of players, and know no stats because I am at best a casual Dodger fan..no one stays for long (generally) because they are chasing the dime. I'm a fan, not a wannabe GM, so I could care less about the financials. The players are getting paid millions for a kids game, and when players live for FA instead of signing for the same team and its fans...it destroys the illusion that players care anything for their fans. The system is broken because i remember how it was to be a fan of teams that didn't move, and of players that stayed for a whole career(generally)...In this way, pro sports suck out loud.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@flv It's true the cap has jumped up and it's destabilized things a bit. As an aside look at the NBA this offseason it's insane.

We agree on players getting paid as they can, and I expect no loyalty and I get it they want to get paid. I would too. Most of these guys don't really care about titles, a lot probably don't even care about winning. It's the money that matters, and it's become SO big that now average players can make millions.

Who could blame them? I just left one job for another..........it pays better and has insurance and it's a larger and better place. Would anyone I know say "dumbass, where was your loyalty".

A saying I use that can be altered for many, many situations..........."Look at your bank deposit slip. Do you see a spot for loyalty?"

It's cash and checks baby.

I'd like to see less player movement so I would like to see the system adjusted and some of the NBA's cap rules would be good to use/modify. It's not a perfect system, but it has a few things that would help. I know the idea of max contracts is slightly counter to the free market nature of sports but it would help. So would allowing exceptions to that rule ala The Bird Rule.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
@LesBaker Yes the Bird Rule ... I'm hoping in the next collective bargaining agreement some changes are made to reflect something similar... It seems like we can only get attached to 4 or 5 players because everyone else is year to year keep me if you can.. Thank the Lord they have Gurley, Donald and Goff to hopefully play together for several years..

JH40scS.gif

Larry-Bird-shoots-the-jumper-has-awesome-hair.jpg

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
im sorry but bird rights are terrible. not a fan of that soft cap bullshit, doesnt make it an even playing field for smaller market teams

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
im sorry but bird rights are terrible. not a fan of that soft cap bullcrap, doesnt make it an even playing field for smaller market teams

Who has been winning NBA titles lately? Small and big market teams.

I think the NFL can use the NBA's cap rules as a guideline and make modifications to improve them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Loyalty??? The team does what's best for them so why shouldn't player
*sigh....maybe the owners and the players change agreements so that players are more likely to stay instead of selling themselves to the highest bidder? Like I said, the idea of loyalty to a fanbase is laughable in todays society, which is regrettable...I should change my stupid User Name, right?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A couple of thoughts that TruJo would be well advised to consider at the end of this season.

It's not just about the money in this decision of his. He's gonna be paid multi multi millions whether he remains a Ram or leaves to go elsewhere for a little bit more. More money than he will ever be able to spend, either way.

There is a lot to be said for his teammates' play that has enhanced his own stats. That Ram front 4, for example, will be virtually impossible to duplicate if he should leave.

And what about how much GW and Cecil have contributed to his development? They took him as a 3rd round pick and turned him into a star earning $13.9 million this year. Will his new coaching staff be able to utilize him and continue to develop him as well? I doubt it.

The Rams are on the cusp of the playoffs. Typically, it's the non playoff caliber teams that overpay for FA services, not the top teams. The top teams tend to develop their own players for the most part.

A larger guaranteed amount to stay with the Rams could offset a "higher" offer with lower guarantees elsewhere, too.

Add those 5 things up and TruJo might just be inclined to accept a juicy Ram offer, even if it's a million or so short of what he might get elsewhere by a more desperate team.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Who has been winning NBA titles lately? Small and big market teams.

I think the NFL can use the NBA's cap rules as a guideline and make modifications to improve them.

ok, i was a little harsh about the bird rights, theres pros and cons to it, but if you think bird rights or even the nba salary cap rules for that matter create a level playing field for big and small market teams, your mistaken imo. The cavs just paid 54m in luxury taxes (the salary cap was 84.7m) to win a championship. You really think every team in the league could afford that? Now granted thats a record number, but even the 2 next best teams (warriors and thunder) spent over 14m in luxury taxes. The NBA's salary cap has been far from perfect and theres a reason its always changing and getting stricter. Id even argue that the stricter cap rules have made the NBA more competitive and in turn way more popular which is why youve seen the huge cap increases these past 2 years (and more to come).

as to you're original question, the past few nba champions have been:

2016 Cleveland Cavaliers
2015 Golden State Warriors
2014 San Antonio Spurs
2013 Miami Heat
2012 Miami Heat
2011 Dallas Mavericks
2010 Los Angeles Lakers
2009 Los Angeles Lakers
2008 Boston Celtics
2007 San Antonio Spurs
2006 Miami Heat
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2004 Detroit Pistons
2003 San Antonio Spurs
2002 Los Angeles Lakers
2001 Los Angeles Lakers
2000 Los Angeles Lakers

In 16 years there has only been 8 different teams to win a championship, with 3 teams owning 12 of them, so clearly its really not that well balanced. As for the small market vs big markets, you can only make a case for 3 of those teams being small market (spurs, heat, cavs). The cavs spent a record high luxury tax for their sole win, 2 of the 3 heats titles came with the big 3 and high luxury taxes of their own, and the spurs have for years gotten cheap deals from their stars. once the pelicans, grizzlies, bucks, etc start competing for nba titles then you got a case big and small market teams have been winning titles

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I really don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here, but there's something else to consider. There's no guarantee Tru is either gonna stay healthy or play spectacularly this year. If one of those factors comes into play, he probably won't be getting a high dollar contract from anyone.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
ok, i was a little harsh about the bird rights, theres pros and cons to it, but if you think bird rights or even the nba salary cap rules for that matter create a level playing field for big and small market teams, your mistaken imo. The cavs just paid 54m in luxury taxes (the salary cap was 84.7m) to win a championship. You really think every team in the league could afford that? Now granted thats a record number, but even the 2 next best teams (warriors and thunder) spent over 14m in luxury taxes. The NBA's salary cap has been far from perfect and theres a reason its always changing and getting stricter. Id even argue that the stricter cap rules have made the NBA more competitive and in turn way more popular which is why youve seen the huge cap increases these past 2 years (and more to come).

as to you're original question, the past few nba champions have been:

2016 Cleveland Cavaliers
2015 Golden State Warriors
2014 San Antonio Spurs
2013 Miami Heat
2012 Miami Heat
2011 Dallas Mavericks
2010 Los Angeles Lakers
2009 Los Angeles Lakers
2008 Boston Celtics
2007 San Antonio Spurs
2006 Miami Heat
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2004 Detroit Pistons
2003 San Antonio Spurs
2002 Los Angeles Lakers
2001 Los Angeles Lakers
2000 Los Angeles Lakers

In 16 years there has only been 8 different teams to win a championship, with 3 teams owning 12 of them, so clearly its really not that well balanced. As for the small market vs big markets, you can only make a case for 3 of those teams being small market (spurs, heat, cavs). The cavs spent a record high luxury tax for their sole win, 2 of the 3 heats titles came with the big 3 and high luxury taxes of their own, and the spurs have for years gotten cheap deals from their stars. once the pelicans, grizzlies, bucks, etc start competing for nba titles then you got a case big and small market teams have been winning titles

That looks like a list of small and large market teams right there!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A couple of thoughts that TruJo would be well advised to consider at the end of this season.

It's not just about the money in this decision of his. He's gonna be paid multi multi millions whether he remains a Ram or leaves to go elsewhere for a little bit more. More money than he will ever be able to spend, either way.

Holy shit 43 did you just go full PollyAnna on me?

It's the money.

In case there is any misunderstanding............IT'S THE MONEY