Can someone explain to me why the media is constantly trashing Jared Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Just by the numbers of the QBs drafted 1st overall the best comps stat wise are Jamarcus Russell and Matthew Stafford. Those also were the two farthest out. Take out of it what you want. I honestly don't think it means anything at all. With better coaching and players around him he'll improve. If he doesn't the Rams are in trouble.

As to the topic of the thread, ignore the media. You'll be much better for it. They aren't after the truth, they are after readers and viewers. Bombastic negative things draw attention. That's why guys like Skip Bayless make big money. The media sucks. Ignore them. You'll be much better off for it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anybody think that in years to come we'll thank Fish for making Goff ride the pine? Even if it is just thanking him for not letting our Guy get destroyed by bad scheme and
players?

After watching this years offense. I'm already kind of thinking about thanking him just for not making Goff suffer through that for an entire year.

I'll say Jared Goff is getting valuable experience. He flat out got beat out by Case Keenan & wasn't ready.

Drew Bree's in SD took time , leds to why didn't The Rams draft Derick Carr ??
Same as why didn't The Rams draft Jay Cutler ?? There is value at The QB position.
-- The Rams drafting Greg Robinson instead of trading back.Same as not trading back with Jason Smith.
Brown (Oklahoma ) & #10 plus a couple picks. Salary cap at the time was crazy for a rookie.
Greg Robinson to not trade back to say like Buffalo who in my opinion should have never traded up Traded up to draft Tavon Austin.
-- what a deep draft for Wr's Robinsons year. Got lucky to have drafted 3 time All Pro Aaron Donald.

Fisher is Fisher though . Finally goes all in on a Offensive Lineman( or Snead from Auburn?)
-- Like Troy Aikman as well. Qb's need time.Jarred Goff is The Rams franchise QB for years to come . My concern was a such a high price ,when you had 3 QB's signed Mannion could be getting valuable playing time right now.
Then again look at The QB pool coming out ?? Jarred Goff looks good. What would The Rams look like with the draft picks ?? 2016 was not a great draft class .

---Future is now , being the youngest team in The NFL again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just by the numbers of the QBs drafted 1st overall the best comps stat wise are Jamarcus Russell and Matthew Stafford. Those also were the two farthest out. Take out of it what you want. I honestly don't think it means anything at all. With better coaching and players around him he'll improve. If he doesn't the Rams are in trouble.

As to the topic of the thread, ignore the media. You'll be much better for it. They aren't after the truth, they are after readers and viewers. Bombastic negative things draw attention. That's why guys like Skip Bayless make big money. The media sucks. Ignore them. You'll be much better off for it.

I posted this on another site:
"Let's look at the last 10 #1 overall picks' first 4 starts as rookies:
Carson Palmer
N/A

Eli Manning
39/101
38.6%
450 passing yards
4.5 YPA
1 passing TD
6 Ints
31.4 QB Rating

Alex Smith
42/85
49.4%
428 passing yards
5.0 YPA
0 passing TDs
9 Ints
24.7 QB Rating

JaMarcus Russell
N/A

Matt Stafford
79/140
56.4%
894 passing yards
6.4 YPA
3 passing TDs
6 Ints
65.0 QB Rating

Sam Bradford
92/158
58.2%
944 passing yards
6.0 YPA
6 passing TDs
6 Ints
72.3 QB Rating

Cam Newton
98/165
59.4%
1386 passing yards
8.4 YPA
5 passing TDs
5 Ints
84.1 QB Rating

Andrew Luck
96/178
53.9%
1208 passing yards
6.8 YPA
7 passing TDs
5 Ints
76.7 QB Rating

Jameis Winston
73/133
54.9%
965 passing yards
7.3 YPA
6 passing TDs
7 Ints
71.2 QB Rating

Jared Goff
75/136
55.1%
744 passing yards
5.5 YPA
4 passing TDs
5 Ints
65.3 QB Rating"

It's also worth mentioning that Goff had a 56-yard TD to Quick called back on a joke of a call and a 59-yard TD to Mike Thomas dropped.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As much as we listened to Fisher's BS about not starting Goff until he was "ready" I still believe that it put Goff at an extreme disadvantage to start mid way thru the season. Defenses knew what the scheme was, there was no unknown factor once Goff came in. They knew the weakness in the o-line etc. Starting day 1, Goff could have grown with the team.
Its eerily similar IMO to Eli Manning in NY
Hopefully season 2 pays off the same

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can't agree with the mindset that NOT starting Goff from day one was a mistake, or that if he wasn't ready to start day one he shouldn't have been drafted #1. Rams decided to bring Goff along slowly and not rush him, let him get more prepared when they decided to draft him.
Everyone cried "look at the other QB's that got drafted, they're playing" Prescott has a functional OL, Rams don't. Wentz had a good first couple of games but look at him now and the last few games, he's not doing too well.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Just read that Goff practiced yesterday and Fassel expects to have him Saturday...I'm glad to hear that if it works out...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know this will not go down well... but I have to at least consider that he was the wrong pick.

A local radio guy I very much respect (Norm Hitzges), who has been covering sports for over 30 years and is nationally recognized as a very astute commentator said he believes Goff won't be much in the NFL.

Of course, I hope he's wrong and all... but sometimes we get all worked up on a player, then if things aren't what we hoped, we get into long, protracted "conversations" trying to hang onto our beliefs.

I hope that doesn't happen with Goff... and I'm keeping an open mind on him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think its safe to say that so far he has demonstrated above average arm, quick release, good footwork and doesn't appear to panic amidst pass rush.
His accuracy is definitely in question, his decision making when scrambling is questionable, his propensity for fumbling is still alarming. That said, I cant see how his future is not looking good at this point. His flaws are fixable or should be and his natural abilities are NFL caliber

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think its safe to say that so far he has demonstrated above average arm, quick release, good footwork and doesn't appear to panic amidst pass rush.
His accuracy is definitely in question, his decision making when scrambling is questionable, his propensity for fumbling is still alarming. That said, I cant see how his future is not looking good at this point. His flaws are fixable or should be and his natural abilities are NFL caliber
Yeah... far too soon to say one way or the other... that's why I'm keeping an open mind.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I posted this on another site:
"Let's look at the last 10 #1 overall picks' first 4 starts as rookies:
I think its great work and appreciated effort, but wouldn't top 5 drafted qb list provide a bigger sample?
Seems just looking #1 overall may not have enough depth

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think its great work and appreciated effort, but wouldn't top 5 drafted qb list provide a bigger sample?
And 4 starts? Is that supposed to tell me anything?

I've said it before and I'll say it again... got to give it 2 seasons minimum... really 3 before you can say anything definitive.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And 4 starts? Is that supposed to tell me anything?

I've said it before and I'll say it again... got to give it 2 seasons minimum... really 3 before you can say anything definitive.
Well Goff has only stated 4 games, so apples to apples and all. Jrry was responding to the idea that he's a bust now
I think we all agree (or should) that like you said, we need at least 2 full seasons to judge a QB
Because not only do we need to see how the QB plays when he's got the experience, its also important to see how he plays after the NFL may have him "figured out".

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
One thing I've considered when Goff is being compared to Prescott and Wentz is age and overall college experience.

Goff turned 22 in October. He played in 36 games at Cal, and 4 games so far for the Rams.
Prescott is 23. He played 49 games at Miss. State, and 14 games so far for Dallas.
Wentz turns 24 at the end of the month. He played in 35 games at N. Dakota State, and 14 games so far for Philly.

Goff is the youngest of the group. He came into the league at 21. This is huge factor considering what it takes in being a NFL QB. Prescott had the most experience coming into the NFL, and Wentz being the oldest probably has a bit more maturity. I think Goff has a huge upside and we will see incredible growth when the season starts next year. Give this kid some time, get him a quality coaching staff, build the offense around him and Gurley, and he will be okay.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It was in response to a person who said Goff wasn't playing well enough for a #1 overall pick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There are a couple of things going on here, IMO;
  1. We see it time and again; the media (because it's a good story) knocks a guy off his pedestal. Goff being #1 overall set that up.
  2. If your study of Goff is the stat sheet, which is the case with most in the media, you are likely to conclude he's played poorly.
We all see something differently because we've watched him play, every snap.

I'd bet most of the media doesn't even know better than half his interceptions were the result of WR play, balls off hands, etc.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I have no doubts that there are players that have mailed it in and it isn't hard to see watching the games. I know I have at least seen enough out of Goff to be very optimistic about his development.

Pat Kirwin is constantly talking about Jameis Winston; Kirwin keeps saying "I gave Jameis advice. I told him stay away from all the commercials and extra curricular and go work on your craft." I don't know how much Jameis actually did that but I have heard Kirwin mention the conversation quite a few times.

I just hope that Goff has that in his plans. Get some time off and then boom hit the training and improve. Hopefully have a coach in place to where he can start reading the playbook. Start digesting film like crazy!
Ya know ... and this reminds me of Gurley in a way ... last year he was on fire! ....moves to Hollywood and all the glitz, glamour, commercials ... and PPPPpffffttttt.....

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because with all his practice time with the first string unit and his huge amount of game time experience....he should be a finished product by now. How can a kid with poor coaching, poor scheme, one of the worst receiving squads in the league and playing a total different offense than he played in college not be a top tier QB by now?

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Because he was the #1 overall pick and a 4th rounder is already light years ahead of him.
:popcorn:

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
"What have you done for me lately?"

Shit people were saying Aaron Rodgers wasn't special anymore In the middle of the season.

The media is dumb.

…..

Legend
I think its just the "mob mentality" going on...the media is great at that. Its easier to plagiarize when everyone is saying the same things.