Can someone explain to me why the media is constantly trashing Jared Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Scirca

Rookie
Everybody is saying Jared Goff isn't ready to play.....
I don't understand this. What am I not seeing. I hear that "bad o-line, bad wide receivers not an excuse line"
I hear them say look at what Carson Wentz is doing over there in Philadelphia. He's top 25 under 25 in the media.. what a joke.. are you kidding me.. if that dude doesn't scream bust I don't know what is. (He's been the unofficial worst quarterback in the NFL since week 3 by a landslide, and he's been getting worse and worse every game since week 3). I don't want this to seem like I'm picking on Wentz but it what it is.

Everyone is saying we made the mistake of taking Goff when we could have had Wentz.

OK... Is it because Dak Prescott is so successful that it's making Jared Goff look terrible. They say that they see why he wasn't playing the first 9 games....

Have they been watching the games he is in? Or are they just looking at the box score. Yup 2 interceptions he was garbage. That Atlanta sack highlight, "OMG Jared Goff sacked with one hand" No mention of his feet getting tangled by his own offensive lineman. Or that throw to Tavon Austin where his arm was hit.. he doesn't have that good of an arm... he's not an accurate passer....

What about his throw to Cooper, it was a deep cross route in the middle against 3 and Jared Goff threw him into zone coverage(Where he was supposed to be) nope he is an inaccurate passer. This is for football junkies: He threw it like that because if he lead his receiver there was a good chance he would have gotten blown up by Kam Chancellor, or picked off.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher created this mess by basically planning on Goff riding the pine this season while putting all his chips down on Keenum.

Scirca

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher created this mess by basically planning on Goff riding the pine this season while putting all his chips down on Keenum.

God I dislike Jeff Fisher strongly. But still that doesn't excuse the media for blatantly picking on Goff. Everyone is saying he is awful. No mention of Carson Wentz in philly playing worse. In fact, the sunday that was just played, he was the reason his team lost. They were running 6.4 yards per play and throwing 4.0 yards per attempt (not a good passer, Tim Tebow throwing motion, never mentioned in the draft process.) Nobody trashed Carson Wentz. He got potential franchise tag label because he ran the ball in at the end of the game... Costs them the game with a batted ball at the line of scrimmage on a 2 point conversion. Headlines: Wentz is clutch.......

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The media will stick to their message. When Goff wasn't the Week 1 starter, their message became he's a bust. Until he proves that wrong, they'll stick with it. If he proves it wrong, they'll pretend they never said it.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Anybody think that in years to come we'll thank Fish for making Goff ride the pine? Even if it is just thanking him for not letting our Guy get destroyed by bad scheme and players?

After watching this years offense. I'm already kind of thinking about thanking him just for not making Goff suffer through that for an entire year.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
Probably because 4 of the 5 games that he has started, they were blown out in and he has not looked particularly good in any of them (not horrible in the Saints game, but the rest he has looked pretty bad). Prior to this, they were only blown out once, in the first game of the season. I understand this is a team game. I am just trying to make an excuse for them. Ha! It also does not help that a bunch of picks were traded to move up to #1 to get him. Because of this, the media probably expects him to come in and set the world on fire.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Anybody think that in years to come we'll thank Fish for making Goff ride the pine? Even if it is just thanking him for not letting our Guy get destroyed by bad scheme and players?

After watching this years offense. I'm already kind of thinking about thanking him just for not making Goff suffer through that for an entire year.

Even though I know that is Fish's ineptitude on that side of the ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nah. I think the entire team is playing worse than it has all year since the end of the NO game. I think a lot of guys are mailing it in.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Nah. I think the entire team is playing worse than it has all year since the end of the NO game. I think a lot of guys are mailing it in.

I have no doubts that there are players that have mailed it in and it isn't hard to see watching the games. I know I have at least seen enough out of Goff to be very optimistic about his development.

Pat Kirwin is constantly talking about Jameis Winston; Kirwin keeps saying "I gave Jameis advice. I told him stay away from all the commercials and extra curricular and go work on your craft." I don't know how much Jameis actually did that but I have heard Kirwin mention the conversation quite a few times.

I just hope that Goff has that in his plans. Get some time off and then boom hit the training and improve. Hopefully have a coach in place to where he can start reading the playbook. Start digesting film like crazy!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

Add to that the the front office and coaches are aiding and abetting some of those mail ins. . . If we were playoff bound Quinn nor Cunningham would be sent to reserve. Not that I disagree with those decisions.

Scirca

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope Goff comes out and torches the 49ers for 4+ touchdowns so we can end all of this he's not ready talk.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's easier to tear down than to prop up. And once you started a negative narrative people won't let you forget about it if you were to suddenly compliment a player afterwards.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Because he's a QB and he exists while not playing well. You see how fast the media turns, hell I've seen people already trying to talk about how Rodgers was secretly mediocre and couldn't lead a team. This, despite him having a superbowl ring.

Any QB will do, it's just something they need to livem

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They are reporters trying to get their stupid stories read. Right now calling Goff a bust is the safest thing for them to say and actually will give them more credibility and clicks than talking about Goff's flashes of potential .

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think a lot of it dovetails with the media dislike of Fisher.
Stuff like "oh my God, Fisher should have take Wentz" or "Fisher gave up way too much to get Goff" and my favorite "is Goff worse than Keenum?" on and on. I think they used that along with the other stuff to pile on Fisher. And they are still doing it.

One thing I have learned, once you get a label it's real hard to move away from it. Especially if it's a negative one. It almost takes on a life of it's own.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I really hope the best for Goff's development but he hasn't shown much to prove them wrong. The Saints game is the only game he has looked reasonably good in. His "flashes of potential" are outweighed by his mistakes and the overall disfunction on offense. With what was mortgaged to get Goff, the media has every right to call him out.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Your question points to an attitude that, in my view, helps to explain why there aren't 32 starting quality QBs in the league (and haven't been for as long as I've been following this game).

A QB comes into the NFL from a college system that even if it's "pro style" requires one hell of a learning curve. These young lads are playing in the single most important and difficult position in all of sports (and it's not even close in my view).

However, media and fans expect that young lad to be an instant success and these kids aren't given a chance to learn and develop at the position, something which any reasonable person would agree is vital.

That development needs to be a combo of sitting and learning behind the incumbent starter and getting real game experience. Unfortunately if that QB doesn't light it up during that real game experience, media and fans start to put the pressure on and decisions are then made that don't necessarily benefit the young QB.

Look at Wentz. At the start of the year he was a great young QB but now that teams have figured him out, he's a bust apparently. He needs the chance to figure out how to develop beyond this current position he's in.

I do think players like Prescott and Wilson fuel this because people point to them and say it's possible to succeed from the outset and they expect everyone to be the same like they're robots.

I'm not saying more patience would result in 32 starting quality QBs but it would almost certainly help.

In an ideal world, all young QBs would sit and develop for a year or two. Maybe the key is drafting a QB in the 3rd or 4th round so that those high expectations aren't there.

People judge a 1st round pick on what they do in their 1st year seemingly failing to recognise that an NFL career, especially for QBs, can last 15 years (or forever if you're Tom Brady!).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The media simply disregards that a QB's first season isn't really an indicator of what he'll be. They're in the NOW and if they're wrong, hey, no probs, just take a new tact forward and pretend you never missed.

But seriously. Write down the top ten QBs of all time in your opinion then look at their rookie seasons. It is very enlightening in all this.

Yes, but I do think that Fish understood the first season of a pocket QB's career is whatever in the face of a 10-15 year career.

Of course it does pi$$ me off that Jared wasn't prepared from day one, but that is because you had a coach in year 5 of a five year deal with zero winning seasons. The mechanics of the young QB needing those snaps vs the self-interest of a coach that desperately needed to win don't work well together.

Fact is that IF Case had played up to Fisher's expectation, he'd still be starting and leading this team in competition for a playoff berth. Case let Fisher down, or more accurately Fisher allowed him to because he couldn't see what most of us knew, that Case was a backup QB.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Simply because they don't watch the games. They read stats.
That is all.