Can someone explain to me why the media is constantly trashing Jared Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Simply because they don't watch the games. They read stats.
That is all.
I was going to post the same thing. Goff's stats are pretty bad. The team hasn't won with him under center. In turn the media will bash him. They don't care or know that the line and receivers are horrible. In the media's view all praise and blame goes to the QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
God I dislike Jeff Fisher strongly. But still that doesn't excuse the media for blatantly picking on Goff. Everyone is saying he is awful. No mention of Carson Wentz in philly playing worse. In fact, the sunday that was just played, he was the reason his team lost. They were running 6.4 yards per play and throwing 4.0 yards per attempt (not a good passer, Tim Tebow throwing motion, never mentioned in the draft process.) Nobody trashed Carson Wentz. He got potential franchise tag label because he ran the ball in at the end of the game... Costs them the game with a batted ball at the line of scrimmage on a 2 point conversion. Headlines: Wentz is clutch.......
But playing.
Goff being benched for Keenum sent a real bad message. And Keenum's below average play gave the impression that Goff was worse. Outside of Rams's world that is. Because in reality, no other coach would have stuck with Case that long. So the media, and public opinion for that matter, ran with it

fiveten

UDFA
Because he is not playing well. Hasn't won a game, and his QBR (the stat that supposedly counts for drops/missed assignment/etc.) is 24.6.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be honest, if it were another team that I didn't closely follow, I would probably think that there was something wrong with Goff too

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
He's just one of 53, but the media either doesn't understand the game of football, or doesn't expect the majority of the fan base to, so you get this excessive focus on one man.

I don't like it, but yeah, Goff hasn't been playing well, and until he proves them wrong, the bust label will be hung on him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Goff hasn't played particularly well. He has not been accurate and has looked like what he is. A raw QB who needs a lot of seasoning.
That said? The reporting tends to be click bait and lazy.

fearsomefour

Legend
He's just one of 53, but the media either doesn't understand the game of football, or doesn't expect the majority of the fan base to, so you get this excessive focus on one man.

I don't like it, but yeah, Goff hasn't been playing well, and until he proves them wrong, the bust label will be hung on him.
I woul say the statements at the beginning of your post are both accurate.
Remember all the quotes about Bradfords record as a starting QB in the NFL?
The Brady vs Manning JO fests?
The millions of words about whether Flacco is "elite" or not.....something that cannot be defined.
Amazing we live in this era where there are tons of sources and information just a few clicks away and the reportin is geared towards simpletons. It is the ESPN-ing of our entire culture.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If it was just drops, no one would be on Goff...But the more he fumbles, throws picks, get passes tipped, and missed wide open targets, he'll get some heat. That's what happens to #1 overalls...Look at G-Rob, he's number 2 overall, and he'll have heat his entire career unless he becomes dominant...That's what makes this game special.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
He's a college Air RAID QB that wasn't ready and needed time in a Pro offense.

I believe that he has improved since pre-season and is working through growing pains with a losing team, struggling on offense.

Goff gets incrementally better every game, imo.

EDIT - back on topic

I don't give a rats ass about the media

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Everybody is saying Jared Goff isn't ready to play.....

Have they been watching the games he is in?
You probably just answered your own question with a question. I'd say most are not actually watching him play anywhere near as much as Rams fans. I like Wentz and think he will be pretty good. Watching the things Goff does seemingly innately, I think Goff will be better. But behind that line play and with the number of drops and receiver assisted INTs, who the hell would look good? I keep saying. Goff couldn't buy a break for a million dollars. The amount of assistance he is getting from his receivers, O-line, and play calling is just sad. If that changes, he has a great career ahead of him.
I don't give a rats ass about the media
I'll second that.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
IMO it's because expectations were high for a guy who went #1 and netted the Titans an absolute haul, all the previous #1 overall picks in recent memory started from about day 1 and played at least OK, the guy who went #2 shot out of the chute fast, and regardless of the quality of offense around him, he's played fairly poorly since getting the job.

Hype makes failure more pronounced.

Now, if they're calling him a bust, it's because they're impatient and unaware of how the NFL works, but I think most are calling out his play this year.

Psycho_X

Legend
I don't care what the media says about Goff. I've seen all star throws from the kid and his pocket feet/movement are the best we've had for a QB in a long time. He has obvious issues but I have no doubt that if he gets a better team around him, the game starts slowing down a bit, and he gets a competent play caller that he'll be a top 10 QB in the league.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Understand most writer's plagiarize each other's stories. So when one writer puts together an article, other writer's take it, wash-rinse, add a little here/there and repeat. Also, it's easy to pile on which is what most of these writer's do nowadays. Most writer's are not "journalists." They don't seek to inform, rather just spew articles that have already been written, and re-written, etc., etc. They will put their little spin on it so it's not completely the same as someone else's. I can't tell you how many articles I've looked through saying the same thing only to be written by different people. Most of the media today are trained monkeys. They have no creativity, and it's easier to have someone else do the initial work then take credit for writing their masterpiece.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
If we weren't Rams fans, I think we could easily feel the same way, IMO...From the outside looking in I can absolutely see how he could be looked down upon...Only time will tell who is right, us or them..My money is still on Goff...He HAS to get some help though...Otherwise he doesn't have much chance...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's a rookie QB's, #1 pick in the draft first year stats---- 47% passes completed, 7 TD's, 14 int's, 7 fumbles and sacked 12 times. Absolutely awful stats. The media ripped this guy no end his rookie year. Fans lit up the talk show lines blasting the GM and HC for playing him. Bust , bust bust.

What QB am I referring to?

Hall of Famer, two time super Bowl winner and SB and league MVP recipiant.

John Elway.

You can't judge a player by his rookie or even his second season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Start digesting film like crazy!
While Goff is waiting to find out who his New Coaches are, and to get his New Play Book, THIS^^ It the most important thing he should do!!(y)
This and work on his Deep Ball!:D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Here's a rookie QB's, #1 pick in the draft first year stats---- 47% passes completed, 7 TD's, 14 int's, 7 fumbles and sacked 12 times. Absolutely awful stats. The media ripped this guy no end his rookie year. Fans lit up the talk show lines blasting the GM and HC for playing him. Bust , bust bust.

John Elway.

Precisely.

And it's just not Elway, either. Just about every QB on that top 10 list not named Dan Marino were not All-Stars in their rookie seasons. But somehow the media disregards that key stat. It's ignorance, straight up.

This is why I do give Fish credit for drafting Goff. It was a selfless act in many ways when he knew the addition would not help him this season. Fish sucks at hiring offensive staff and it cost him his job, but when it comes to things like the above I guarantee he was well aware.

Fish needed to go so don't think I'm defending him here. But moving up to draft a QB was not something that increased his chances of winning in that critical fifth season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

John Elway.

Elway played great down the stretch though, was re-inserted in to the lineup when the team was 7-6, won 2 straight clinching a playoff berth. The calls for his head were mere whispers by then....

FRO

Legend

John Elway.

That was a very long time ago. Compare his stats to other number one picks for the last 10 years and it will be a better comp. Anybody claiming Goff to be a bust 5 games in is an idiot, just as people crowning RGIII after one season. Success is measured out over time and it takes 10 other players doing their job and good coaching to make a QB successful. That being said after 5 games Goff's play has left a lot to be desired. He hasn't played as poorly as the numbers indicate, but he hasn't played well either. The kid clearly has talent. The hope is better coaching and teammates will help get that talent out of him.