Browns need to make a Jimmy Garoppolo trade happen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he plays like he played this past year, there's a lot of teams who would trade for a 41-year-old MVP candidate at the most important position on the field. You don't think Denver or Houston or Jacksonville or Cleveland would drop their pants at the thought of getting the QB they think could potentially be the lynchpin piece they've been waiting for? Denver and Houston, at least, would probably be immediate Super Bowl favorites with a HOF QB under center.
No, I don't.
I think it's a laughable concept. He's going to be 41 and will eat up the cap space and they would have to change the offense to emulate what Brady does. Houston will be focused on getting Watson ready and LOL at Jacksonville. Why not trade him to Cleveland while we are at it....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
No, I don't.
I think it's a laughable concept. He's going to be 41 and will eat up the cap space and they would have to change the offense to emulate what Brady does. Houston will be focused on getting Watson ready and LOL at Jacksonville. Why not trade him to Cleveland while we are at it....
Houston is run by one Bill O'Brien, Brady's former offensive coordinator. The scheme wouldn't have to change much from what he does already, their defense is elite, and again this is predicated on him playing 2017 like he played in 2016, which was arguably the best year of his career.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Brady will never play in another system. Ever.

You are more than likely correct and I cannot see them dealing him to another team anyway. He'll retire from the Patriots.

I don't think any other team runs that system. The Patriots sort of invented it and have been using it forever.

It's like the Triangle was in the NBA. Jackson was the last guy using it and he rode that to a lot of rings.

Houston is run by one Bill O'Brien, Brady's former offensive coordinator. The scheme wouldn't have to change much from what he does already, their defense is elite, and again this is predicated on him playing 2017 like he played in 2016, which was arguably the best year of his career.

Houston will never happen.

And he had a really excellent year last year but there are a few others that surpass it. Top 5? Yeah. But not in the discussion for his best ever.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's pretty much the assumption around here, although most people think Belichick wants to win one SB in the post-Brady era to dispel any talk of "Oh, you only won because of Tom." My boss is convinced that if Brady doesn't retire, Bill will trade him next offseason.

I see 0% chance he'd ever play for another team at this point in his career.

But... there is a little bit of Favre potential here. He may want to keep playing to 45, but the team may not want to lose his potential successor on the gamble he'll hold up or continue playing well.

So, while I give it 0% chance... your senses would be more accurate. What do you think, @DCH ?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
@DCH posted something similar, so that makes sense to me as well. Belichick showcases he can win one without Brady, but I'm not so sure he can although I do feel Garoppolo is going to be a quality signal caller and FWIW's I wanted the Rams to draft Garoppolo, but instead they traded up and selected Lamarcus Joyner instead.whereas they could have stayed where they were and selected Garoppolo.

I also wanted the Rams to draft him!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I also wanted the Rams to draft him!
giphy.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol.
After spending a 1st rounder on Watson and spending a year developing him.
Yes, they would have to install a new offense.
It's just a laughable concept.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I see 0% chance he'd ever play for another team at this point in his career.

But... there is a little bit of Favre potential here. He may want to keep playing to 45, but the team may not want to lose his potential successor on the gamble he'll hold up or continue playing well.

So, while I give it 0% chance... your senses would be more accurate. What do you think, @DCH ?
Honestly, my gut says he retires at the end of the year. Giselle wants him to - she's gone semi-Brenda Warner by going to the press and saying he had a concussion in 2016. I believe the goal is one more Super Bowl, catch the Steelers with six, and let him ride away into the sunset as the (hated by 90% of NFL fans) Greatest of All Time.

The fact that the Patriots didn't trade Garoppolo says to me they plan to start him in 2018 and beyond, and when Belichick decides it's time to replace a veteran, that veteran gets replaced on Bill's schedule, not the vet's.

There's a very outside chance Brady will want to keep playing, especially if he has another fantastic year... and that's quite possible, given the upgrades the Pats have made to the receiving corps and a healthy (for now) Gronk. Dude's insanely competitive, like, more even than you expect out of a top-caliber NFL player. IF that's the case, and he refuses to retire, the Pats will strongly consider trading or cutting him, because nobody gets in the way of Darth Hoodie's plans... not even Brady.

It was at one point impossible to imagine Montana anywhere but San Francisco. He became a Chief. It was impossible to imagine Favre without a sea of weirdos wearing cheddar hats. He went to the Jets and Vikings. I'd like to see Brady retire after a Super Bowl win this coming season, but weirder things have happened in the National Football League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Lol.
After spending a 1st rounder on Watson and spending a year developing him.
Yes, they would have to install a new offense.
It's just a laughable concept.
Was it laughable for a 36-year-old Peyton Manning, coming off of a really serious neck injury, to go to Denver? Or a 37-year-old Joe Montana to sign with the Chiefs? Or 39-year-old Brett Favre, who had actually retired, to go to the Jets?

QBs are a hot commodity, and future Hall of Fame QBs get signed or traded for if they still want to play.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was it laughable for a 36-year-old Peyton Manning, coming off of a really serious neck injury, to go to Denver? Or a 37-year-old Joe Montana to sign with the Chiefs? Or 39-year-old Brett Favre, who had actually retired, to go to the Jets?

QBs are a hot commodity, and future Hall of Fame QBs get signed or traded for if they still want to play.
Brady will be 41, long past the age those guys broke down
They are the example of why it doesn't make sense to trade for him

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Brady will be 41, long past the age those guys broke down
They are the example of why it doesn't make sense to trade for him
How do you figure? Favre brought the Jets a 9-7 season, and the Vikings a 12-4 season. Manning won a Super Bowl for Denver.

When they broke down is cautionary, but the only quarterback who will determine when Brady's body breaks down is Brady. I guarantee, someone will take the chance that all his TB12 voodoo, avocado ice cream and lack of nightshades will keep him playing at a high level for a season or 3 and roll the dice on him taking them to the promised land.

Hell, Manning's body broke down younger than Brady was this past season. Brady did fine. You're talking about a guy who has missed games due to one injury in his entire career - started 16 games every season except 2008, when he tore up his knee. Is it so mad to think that maybe he takes good care of his body, better than Manning and Favre?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you figure? Favre brought the Jets a 9-7 season, and the Vikings a 12-4 season. Manning won a Super Bowl for Denver.
No, Favre brought the Jets to an 8-3 record but his tired old shoulder wore down and the team went 1-4 down the stretch and got the coaching staff fired. How was he at 41? Awful, that's what he was. Just like Manning was at 39. Manning "won" the Superbowl? Cmon man
Guys break down and historically a heck of a lot sooner than 39.
Who trade for Favre after Minnesota? Who traded for Manning after the Broncos?
Nobody
And with Brady, on top of the idea that he can still play at 41 is the fact that he'll be paid like 22 million to find out.
Just a laughable concept