Browns need to make a Jimmy Garoppolo trade happen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/e...lo-would-make-browns-borderline-playoff-team/

Ex-Pats player: Jimmy Garoppolo would make Browns 'borderline playoff team'

The hype surrounding Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo died down a bit after the draft and free agency, but as we approach the start of training camp, it is starting to swirl again.

Garoppolo was famously not traded by the Pats this offseason, who demanded an exorbitant price for the former second-round pick on the final year of his rookie contract. The argument for dealing him is the Patriots can't afford Garoppolo, but the argument against trading him is the Patriots are not quite comfortable with Jacoby Brissett running the offense and want insurance if anything happens to Tom Brady, injury or otherwise.

New England looks more loaded than last season, when it won the Super Bowl and still has two quality quarterbacks under contract. They very well might have two top-25 passers: some people believe Garoppolo would be capable of taking even a bad team to the playoffs.

Speaking to Mike Giardi of CSN New England, one former Patriots player said Garoppolo would make the Browns a "borderline playoff team."

"I played against him every day in practice. He's all that," the anonymous player told Giardi. "He can make all the throws. He can process all the information. He is a gamer. He can slow it down. He can spin it. I'm going tell you this, if he had gotten traded to Cleveland, they're a borderline playoff team. I really believe that."

The Browns are a really young team, one that probably has a ceiling of about six wins. They have an impressive offensive line they spent the offseason upgrading through free agency, there are some skill position guys (David Njoku, Isaiah Crowell, Corey Coleman, Duke Johnson) with lots of upside and the defense added a lot of young parts (Myles Garrett, Jabrill Peppers, Larry Ogunjobi, Jamie Collins) over the last nine months. But it's tough to imagine Garoppolo instantly making this team a playoff contender, although maybe he's enough of an upgrade over Brock Osweiler/Cody Kessler/DeShone Kizer that ... hmm. Well, maybe he could make the playoffs with the Browns.

It's not like the Patriots are the only team that loves Garoppolo. Another AFC scout told Giardi that he "absolutely loved" Jimmy G when he was coming out of Eastern Illinois and "begged" his team to take him at the back end of the first round.

"I absolutely loved the kid coming out of college. When we interviewed him, [it was obvious] he's got those qualities you want in a QB, as a leader. I begged our guys to take him at the end of the first round. That's how good I thought he was then. He's a hell of a lot better now."

Obviously the coaching from Belichick and Josh McDaniels has helped make him more valuable in the last several years, which is why there is a very viable case for the Patriots demanding multiple first-round picks. He was worth a second-rounder coming into the league and, simply based on what he's shown on the field during a handful of regular season games, is worth a first-rounder now at bare minimum.

Factoring in what the Pats had to invest in his training/coaching/time, he is a pretty valuable commodity. Too bad the Pats can't rent Garoppolo out to the Browns for a year -- if he turned Cleveland into a playoff team in 2017 they could demand a decade's worth of drafts from some team in a trade next offseason.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If you're going to roll the dice on an untested QB at least make it a cost controlled one. You're going to have to resign Garapollo which would make it a bigger gamble than spending the 12th or 32nd pick on a rookie.

Yeah - vs taking Sam Bradford out of Oklahoma for $80 plus million ?

ridiculous !! Jacoby Brissett had more wins than Jared Goff as a rookie & a pro.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Patriots are not trading Garoppolo, IMHO, this will be the last year for Brady & Belichick and they will ride off into the sunset with one more Super Bowl and leave the team to Josh McDaniels as the Head Coach and Garoppolo will be their starting QB come 2018 and again JMHO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I understand it would be tough to trade for a player you would have to rent.If they allow them to get a multiple year contract though.

-- When The Rams traded for Marshall Faulk they traded a 2nd rd pick & were able to sign him for a multi year contract.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Patriots are not trading Garoppolo, IMHO, this will be the last year for Brady & Belichick and they will ride off into the sunset with one more Super Bowl and leave the team to Josh McDaniels as the Head Coach and Garoppolo will be their starting QB come 2018 and again JMHO.

I think you got 1/2 of it right.Garappolo is Bel/a-cheats insurance they have chance to go to the Super Bowl if something happens to Brady.If the price is right the trade him awaay.

Sorry if I messaged .

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
.If the price is right the trade him awaay.

Rumor had it that the Browns offered a ton of compensation before the draft, something smells rotten in Denmark and there is a reason that Garoppolo. Maybe you are right maybe Belichick wants to ensure another Super Bowl and believes he can win even if Brady goes down, but something else seems to be going on especially the fact that Josh McDaniels is not getting hired as a Head Coach.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Yeah - vs taking Sam Bradford out of Oklahoma for $80 plus million ?

ridiculous !! Jacoby Brissett had more wins than Jared Goff as a rookie & a pro.
Truly shocking that a Patriots QB fared better than a Jeff Fisher QB. Mind blowing analysis in your comparison.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I went through this thread again and one thing kept coming to mind.

The Patriots really haven't made any noise about trading JG, it's simply media speculation. Remember how sports media "creates" the story. One person speculates on something, the next person "reports" it. So don't put much into what is being said. On a side note Mary Kay Cabot is an excellent source/reporter.

What I'm wondering is why (three years ago) they would take a QB so high when they have Brady and they could have used a WR or whatever. Why use that high of a pick unless you think he will be good and you plan on keeping the guy to insert when Brady retires? I understand if they got a massive offer then it would make sense to move him but something tells me they want to keep him unless there is that too good to be true deal that comes along.

It's unheard of to have a QB sit for 5 years in the cap era, but maybe that's the plan. Maybe he's already been told to stay put you get the keys when Brady retires. And by the way he turns 40 in about a week, I just checked.

I'd even be willing to bet that GM's have inquired and been told he isn't available.

Ask yourself if you were the Patriots GM/Belichik would you drop your 2nd rounder on a QB. Especially considering you didn't have a 3rd rounder? I just pulled up their draft from that year. Here it is. They traded their 3rd rounder to JAX for their 4th and 6th.

1st Round – Dominique Easley (DL Florida) – 29th Pick
2nd Round – Jimmy Garoppolo (QB, Eastern Illinois) 62nd Pick
4th Round – Bryan Stork (OL, Florida State) – 105th Pick
4th Round – James White (RB, Wisconsin) – 130th Pick
4th Round – Cameron Fleming (OT, Stanford) – 140th Pick
6th Round – Jon Halapio (G, Florida) – 179th Pick
6th Round – Zach Moore (DE, Concoria) – 198th Pick
6th Round – Jemea Thomas (DB, Georgia Tech) – 206th Pick
7th Round – Jeremy Gallon (WR, Michigan) – 244th Pick

Just thinking this through I don't think he's going anywhere.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
That's pretty much the assumption around here, although most people think Belichick wants to win one SB in the post-Brady era to dispel any talk of "Oh, you only won because of Tom." My boss is convinced that if Brady doesn't retire, Bill will trade him next offseason.

Ram65

Legend
Nothing like rereading an old threat on a slow Sunday after watching The Open end earlier than most other golf tournaments.

The Patsie made a smart move in picking JG at the end of round 2 in 2014. Stays and learns their system and a cheap backup insurance policy if Brady gets hurt over four years. Filing in and play well for a few games for Brady could mean saving home field advantage for the playoffs. Could also bring a nice payday if they decide to trade him earlier after he played well in their system.

I would be hard pressed to trade one #1 pick and sign JG to a large new contract. Couldn't imagine giving anything more like two #1 picks. Just haven't seen enough to make that kind of investment.. Being the favorites to win another SB it smart to hold on the JG this year as finding a equal backup at this time or before the draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Truly shocking that a Patriots QB fared better than a Jeff Fisher QB. Mind blowing analysis in your comparison.

Well he was drafted in the 3rd rd ahead of Dak Prescott. I never really saw Jacoby Briskett play in college.Meaning not knowingly.

How would have Jared Goff been as a back up QB to Tom Brady ?? Is he better than NE's 2 backup QB's ??

I guess you don't think much of Garappolo ?? To me he fits as a QB that has been groomed very well & has a chance to be a very good QB.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I think Bill might try to win one without Brady and it feels like he thinks Jimmy G is the guy he can win with

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Bill might try to win one without Brady and it feels like he thinks Jimmy G is the guy he can win with

@DCH posted something similar, so that makes sense to me as well. Belichick showcases he can win one without Brady, but I'm not so sure he can although I do feel Garoppolo is going to be a quality signal caller and FWIW's I wanted the Rams to draft Garoppolo, but instead they traded up and selected Lamarcus Joyner instead.whereas they could have stayed where they were and selected Garoppolo.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
@DCH posted something similar, so that makes sense to me as well. Belichick showcases he can win one without Brady, but I'm not so sure he can although I do feel Garoppolo is going to be a quality signal caller and FWIW's I wanted the Rams to draft Garoppolo, but instead they traded up and selected Lamarcus Joyner instead.whereas they could have stayed where they were and selected Garoppolo.
I've thought very highly of Garoppolo since his draft - thought he would be a smart pickup for the Rams, too. That said, I think he's benefited from his full rookie contract of backing up Brady, learning the system, working on getting synced with his receivers, and basically getting up to NFL speed. He got the Rodgers treatment, if you will, and I think that's the best thing any young QB can get.

He looked great in two games last season, but got hurt pretty quickly... and I wonder if anyone would look good with the Pats' offensive weapons.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Well he was drafted in the 3rd rd ahead of Dak Prescott. I never really saw Jacoby Briskett play in college.Meaning not knowingly.

How would have Jared Goff been as a back up QB to Tom Brady ?? Is he better than NE's 2 backup QB's ??

I guess you don't think much of Garappolo ?? To me he fits as a QB that has been groomed very well & has a chance to be a very good QB.
Why trade for Jimmy you just told us Brissett was an upgrade on Goff because he won more games. You don't consider the team or coaching around them. Just look at the box score and tell us Brissett is better. And Brissett is actually cheaper than Goff.

Goff absolutely would have been a backup to Brady to say otherwise is just foolish.

We've seen even less of Garappolo in game action than Goff and he's been hurt more often. The biggest thing with bringing Jimmy G aboard is who are you going to cut to be able to afford him next year? Giving up on Donald? Won't be able to afford an extension for both him and Jimmy. There's a hell of a lot more to adding a QB than just looking at how many W's they generate in a box score. We've paid a price in draft picks to get Goff. Fisher didn't prepare him, which leads to people criticizing him for being unprepared, and we basically wasted his first year with bad coaching. People seem to now want to give up on him without us knowing what we have in him. Just makes absolutely no sense. I can't wait for the season to hit and Goff to prove all his doubters wrong so we can end these senseless debates.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why trade for Jimmy you just told us Brissett was an upgrade on Goff because he won more games. You don't consider the team or coaching around them. Just look at the box score and tell us Brissett is better. And Brissett is actually cheaper than Goff.

Goff absolutely would have been a backup to Brady to say otherwise is just foolish.

We've seen even less of Garappolo in game action than Goff and he's been hurt more often. The biggest thing with bringing Jimmy G aboard is who are you going to cut to be able to afford him next year? Giving up on Donald? Won't be able to afford an extension for both him and Jimmy. There's a hell of a lot more to adding a QB than just looking at how many W's they generate in a box score. We've paid a price in draft picks to get Goff. Fisher didn't prepare him, which leads to people criticizing him for being unprepared, and we basically wasted his first year with bad coaching. People seem to now want to give up on him without us knowing what we have in him. Just makes absolutely no sense. I can't wait for the season to hit and Goff to prove all his doubters wrong so we can end these senseless debates.

My point is about value . I'm cool with Jared Goff. It set The Rams back,but gotnFisher fired.
You make some good points . Kap is still out there as well. It is all how you want to build a franchise. I think the offensive line will make a huge difference.--Jared Goff will help the salary cap in the long run.
--The Rams are still young but have a great foundation imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's pretty much the assumption around here, although most people think Belichick wants to win one SB in the post-Brady era to dispel any talk of "Oh, you only won because of Tom." My boss is convinced that if Brady doesn't retire, Bill will trade him next offseason.
Lol. Tell your boss to stick to his day job.
Who's going to trade for a 41 year old qb that will command 20+ mill per?
Nobody

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Lol. Tell your boss to stick to his day job.
Who's going to trade for a 41 year old qb that will command 20+ mill per?
Nobody
If he plays like he played this past year, there's a lot of teams who would trade for a 41-year-old MVP candidate at the most important position on the field. You don't think Denver or Houston or Jacksonville or Cleveland would drop their pants at the thought of getting the QB they think could potentially be the lynchpin piece they've been waiting for? Denver and Houston, at least, would probably be immediate Super Bowl favorites with a HOF QB under center.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Brady will never play in another system. Ever.