Barrett Jones - Wherefore Art Thou?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramathon

Are you a guard? Are you a center? Have you ever played a single down of regular season football? Heck, are you alive?

How can it be that he can't get some playing time at either RG or C given the far less than stellar play of the 2 currently manning those positions?

Does anyone think he's not getting playing time for any reason other than he simply can't beat out either Wells or Joseph? I certainly hope there's a legit alternative reason because, if not, that's one more draft pick that needs to be devoted to OL next spring.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I believe he was on the field against the Chiefs for a piece, but otherwise I haven't seen or heard much. I'm sure they just haven't wanted to put any additional wear or tear on him after coming off of injuries in the spring. Hopefully that means they have big plans for him coming into the 2015 season, but it'd sure be nice to see him take some additional snaps.

FRO

Legend
Bottom line is he must not be that good. Fisher is loyal, but he will put the best player on the field. We have glaring issues at C and RG. I would give him a shot, maybe he is a gamer who looks sucky at practices.

Alan

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/player/barrettjones/2539195/careerstats
Barrett Jones
Year Team G GS
2014 St. Louis Rams 7 0
2013 St. Louis Rams 3 0
TOTAL 10 0
Here's the thing, I've been whining about his inability to get on the field for the last two years. I was told by many that last year was a red shirt year for him because of his lisfranc injury. I called that BS and here's why, does anyone really think they'd play him in those three games last year if he was still injured? Does anyone think they'd play him, no matter how few snaps, in 7 games this year if he was still injured?

I'll leave it to others to answer those questions because for me they've already been answered.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bottom line is he must not be that good. Fisher is loyal, but he will put the best player on the field. We have glaring issues at C and RG. I would give him a shot, maybe he is a gamer who looks sucky at practices.

Somehow I get the feeling they thought more of Demetrius Rhaney before his injury.

V3

Hall of Fame
I've honestly lost any hope of him doing anything of significance for the Rams. We're going to have to draft a C fairly high or sign one.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
A couple reasons he might not be playing:
-Fisher likes vets on the OLine, especially at Center (he signed 31 year old Wells in 2012, and a 35 year old Mawae in 2006)
-Continuity is important on the OLine, so you don't bench a vet unless he's really really bad (Fisher stuck with the infamous Quinn Ojinnaka for 6 games before cutting him. Ojinnaka hasn't played football since)

But in all likelihood, Barrett Jones is probably just not that good. He was a 4th round pick after all.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I found him;

43152d7d433b629d6e9db64e1f6bcba2.png

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
If he doesn't play offense in the next two games, I think the writing is on the wall, maybe he just isn't very good.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
With all the awards he won in college you would think he could at least beat out a washed out vet.

Alan

Legend
Jumava1968 forgetting the details:
With all the awards he won in college you would think he could at least beat out a washed out vet.
He kept changing positions every year. Now, was that because he was so versatile and taking one for the team or because Alabama kept finding players who could play the position he was currently in better than Jones could?

As for the awards, how many Heisman trophy winners are starting in the NFL?

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
There is no way he is as bead as Wells. Just like there was no way that Joseph was better than Robinson. Club Fish is tilted to vets. They don't have to be good, they just have to be good soldiers. You can't have 6 winning seasons in 20 years unless you have some stinkers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People keep making assumptions that because Jones isn't starting, he's not good. I watched him against KC and the guy did not look out of his element. I've seen some really crappy OLs over the years get forced into action...and you could tell right away they were crap. Jones did not look like crap.

Why is he not starting? I don't know. I wish Fisher would play him because Wells has made some major mistakes this year that are inexcusable.

But I don't think it's fair to the guy to assume he's not good because he hasn't played. Remember, Davin Joseph was starting over Greg Robinson and Kendall Langford was starting over Aaron Donald for a time. And those guys were first round picks...so they were definitely going to eventually start.

Jones is a 4th round pick while Wells is an expensive long time vet. That's a possible reason why he's playing. I'd be disappointed if that's why, though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've read he was the weakest link on that Bama line when he was moving around. I personally think he's still not a very powerful player. And from the little I've seen of him, he's not quick enough to play guard. Probably not quick enough to play center either. It's just a shame that we waste 4th round picks like this...I'd rather draft a high upside with character concerns and work with those guys emotionally...Maybe they work out, if not, cut them....
As far as drafting a center, naw...rather try Barnes & Rhaney....draft a OG and RT...

Alan

Legend
jrry32 piercing the gloom a little:
People keep making assumptions that because Jones isn't starting, he's not good. I watched him against KC and the guy did not look out of his element. I've seen some really crappy OLs over the years get forced into action...and you could tell right away they were crap. Jones did not look like crap.

Why is he not starting? I don't know. I wish Fisher would play him because Wells has made some major mistakes this year that are inexcusable.

But I don't think it's fair to the guy to assume he's not good because he hasn't played. Remember, Davin Joseph was starting over Greg Robinson and Kendall Langford was starting over Aaron Donald for a time. And those guys were first round picks...so they were definitely going to eventually start.

Jones is a 4th round pick while Wells is an expensive long time vet. That's a possible reason why he's playing. I'd be disappointed if that's why, though.
That's damn good to hear jrry. I was hoping that someone with good eyes would give us some skinny. I'm not all that convinced with the rest of your post but I do trust your judgment on player evals. (y)

If he looks good like you said then why isn't he getting more reps on special teams? Still, that's darn good news. Hope springs eternal. :)

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I've read he was the weakest link on that Bama line when he was moving around. I personally think he's still not a very powerful player. And from the little I've seen of him, he's not quick enough to play guard. Probably not quick enough to play center either. It's just a shame that we waste 4th round picks like this...I'd rather draft a high upside with character concerns and work with those guys emotionally...Maybe they work out, if not, cut them....
As far as drafting a center, naw...rather try Barnes & Rhaney....draft a OG and RT...

I have watched a ton of Alabama football, and I never heard or saw anyone claiming he was a "weakest link" type. Jones was a prospect at every spot on that line, (and he played most of them). He had a late first/early second grade on him before the injury. From every single off-season report I read, he was a workout warrior. For a "weakest link", he looks like the most decorated offensive lineman in the history of college football to me. By the way he also has 3 rings, so it's not like he was playing for some also ran.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/7/3847276/barrett-jones-alabama-football-2013

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

In my opinion, that's not true. Jones was a really good college Center.

But I do agree, he's not a very powerful player. Gotta hope he can continue to add functional strength and bulk.

But a waste of a 4th round pick? AGAIN, it's too early to go there.

BTW, I do not agree at all that you should take high upside guys with character concerns rather than overachievers with great character and production that lack measurables. I think it comes down to a case by case basis...as with anything draft related.

The 49ers drafted an overachiever in the 3rd round named Chris Borland who is tearing it up for them right now.

That's damn good to hear jrry. I was hoping that someone with good eyes would give us some skinny. I'm not all that convinced with the rest of your post but I do trust your judgment on player evals. (y)

If he looks good like you said then why isn't he getting more reps on special teams? Still, that's darn good news. Hope springs eternal. :)

I just rewatched all the snaps he played against KC and I think he should be given a chance to play this year. It's possible they're not playing him because Wells is a better run blocker.

Jones is a really smart guy and that's evident when you watch him. He knows his assignment and does it the way it's drawn up. Really good use of positioning. He does a nice job of sustaining his blocks as well...strong grip and good hand placement.

The two big issues I saw in the KC game are that he still seems under-powered as he doesn't have a great anchor in pass pro and he positions himself well while run blocking but doesn't blow people off the LOS and that Jones has a pretty soft punch.

But watching him play, he wasn't a liability. He may not have a ton of upside but I don't think he'd hurt us at Center. Guard is a different story. I don't think he has enough strength to start at OG.

He made 2 or 3 really good blocks in that game. On one play that only resulted in a 3 yard gain, Jones came off the LOS and handled Vance Walker one on one and then passed him off to Joseph who joined in on the block, kicked out, and sealed Dee Ford. It created a huge alley for Mason but, of course, Davin Joseph got beat right as Mason was about to run through the alley.

On another play, the DT hit Joseph with a vicious club move, disengaged, and Jones slid over and stonewalled him in pass pro.

However, there were some other plays where Jones gave up a bit too much ground while being bullrushed.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
How many powerful/ "road grader" centers do you know of?

Again, I am willing to bet the farm that he is better than Wells!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many powerful/ "road grader" centers do you know of?

Again, I am willing to bet the farm that he is better than Wells!

Not a lot.

I think he's likely better than Wells too...or at minimum, more consistent. He doesn't seem like a flashy player but he seemed really consistent and assignment sound. That's one issue I've had with Wells...for the veteran that he is...he's been very inconsistent with his play this year. He's made a lot of mistakes he shouldn't be making.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame

I sure hope there is some upside with Jones, although it can be a bit of a mystery with guys like him. Just not much to go by. I sincerely hope he can contribute, I guess I'm not holding my breath...