Barrett Jones - Wherefore Art Thou?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Thanks for that depressing commentary. :(

Sorry about that :notworthy:

I'm a 30 yr. Chiefs season ticket holder, who now has a special rooting interest in the Rams. Dee Ford was the Chiefs #1 pick and this was one of the first times he saw the field this season. Definitely an indicator the 2nd teamers were playing. If you want to talk about a disappointing pick, Mr. Ford could be at the top of the list. Zero impact this season. :cry:

Alan

Legend
woofwoofmo wanting to bark at the moon too:
Sorry about that :notworthy:

I'm a 30 yr. Chiefs season ticket holder, who now has a special rooting interest in the Rams. Dee Ford was the Chiefs #1 pick and this was one of the first times he saw the field this season. Definitely an indicator the 2nd teamers were playing. If you want to talk about a disappointing pick, Mr. Ford could be at the top of the list. Zero impact this season. :cry:
Knowing you guys got hosed isn't helping my depression about Jones that much but at least he was only a 4th rounder and not a 1st rounder like Ford. Plenty of time for Dee to come around though. Donald is an exception to the "it takes three years to reach your potential in the NFL at DE/DT" paradigm.
If it makes you feel any better here's our normal 1st round DT selections going back to 2000:

Damione Lewis
Ryan Pickett
Jimmy Kennedy
Adam Carriker

Of those, only Pickett did anything and only when he went to the Packers. Those were some of our better 1st round picks too. :cry:

My bad, I thought he was a DT. We've actually done pretty well at DE when you think of Long & Quinn. :banana:

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Before everyone gets too excited about his play against KC, by the time Jones got in, the Chiefs had pulled most of their D-line starters and were doing very little blitzing as the game was already well in hand. Not really a true test, more like pre-season action.

That wasn't preseason action.

While they had pulled some starters, they replaced them with guys like Dee Ford(1st round pick) and Vance Walker. These weren't scrubs who wouldn't make a NFL practice squad.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good morning fearsomefour,

Rams certainly have more options @ center than they do anywhere else on OL posts. They do have options with Wells-Barnes-Jones & Rhaney. Lets see who do the Rams have signed @ ORT? Zero with one option that signing a UFA. OK lets see who do the Rams have signed @ ORG? Zero any options @ ORG? If Saffold is not healthy early in 2015 after a major surgery on that shoulder who do the Rams have signed that could start @ OLG? Zero. Is Jake Long an bona fide option @ ORT or swing OT @ 10.5 million cap cost in 2015? most likely zero chance of that. So who do the Rams have groomed signed to be the swing reserve OT?

Looks to me that the center positions is much better condition (Fat) in 2015 than most of the others. Much more known s are known @ center.;)

To me its a no brainer what Ram unit is most of need of reconstruction & beefing up in 2015 is there.:whistle:
I agree.
That's why, to me, resigning Barks and Person should be priorities.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree.
That's why, to me, resigning Barks and Person should be priorities.

Yes as usual you are correct. If we look @ what Snead/Fisher/Boudreau have done over the last three off seasons with resigning or releasing or just signing UFA/RFA's we would get a mixed ideal & certainly no real pattern on what they will do. With the OL unit in comparison with other units they are in some trouble or lets say serious needs situation.

UFA Lance Kendricks is not our starting FB or H-back nor is he the starting LOS TE. Rams have some options with younger much cheaper versions of TE/H-backs in Justice Cunningham & Alex Bayer who are signed for 2015 season. Lance is not a priority.UFA Ken Britt is our #1 currently but when Brian Quick returns & with the pushing of youngsters Stedman Bailey & Tavon Austin for playing time Britt is not a priority either.

UFA OT Barksdale has been deeply discussed but OL Person has not been touched. Person is very different than Barksdale where Barks plays only one position & Person can play them all. Person has had stops with the 9ers, Colts & the Seahawks since he was drafted by the 9ers in 2011, Those three teams played Person had him playing ORT. That's what he was in college where he started 34 straight games @ ORT. Person came to Boudreau in Sept of 2013 and remained on the practice squad.

In 2014 Person got a ton of work in OTA/TC & preseason on the left side @ both OLT & OLG posts. Later he saw action @ center. No other Ram OL'er saw as much action in preseason in a starting post more than Person. So its obvious Boudreau likes him. Person is very versatile & extremely durable! Person is limited due to his size 6-4 300 pounds. IMO he plays the OLT post better than the OLG post. I see no reason to bring the bank if you resign him but he is awful good to have around as one of our reliefs.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes as usual you are correct. If we look @ what Snead/Fisher/Boudreau have done over the last three off seasons with resigning or releasing or just signing UFA/RFA's we would get a mixed ideal & certainly no real pattern on what they will do. With the OL unit in comparison with other units they are in some trouble or lets say serious needs situation.

UFA Lance Kendricks is not our starting FB or H-back nor is he the starting LOS TE. Rams have some options with younger much cheaper versions of TE/H-backs in Justice Cunningham & Alex Bayer who are signed for 2015 season. Lance is not a priority.UFA Ken Britt is our #1 currently but when Brian Quick returns & with the pushing of youngsters Stedman Bailey & Tavon Austin for playing time Britt is not a priority either.

UFA OT Barksdale has been deeply discussed but OL Person has not been touched. Person is very different than Barksdale where Barks plays only one position & Person can play them all. Person has had stops with the 9ers, Colts & the Seahawks since he was drafted by the 9ers in 2011, Those three teams played Person had him playing ORT. That's what he was in college where he started 34 straight games @ ORT. Person came to Boudreau in Sept of 2013 and remained on the practice squad.

In 2014 Person got a ton of work in OTA/TC & preseason on the left side @ both OLT & OLG posts. Later he saw action @ center. No other Ram OL'er saw as much action in preseason in a starting post more than Person. So its obvious Boudreau likes him. Person is very versatile & extremely durable! Person is limited due to his size 6-4 300 pounds. IMO he plays the OLT post better than the OLG post. I see no reason to bring the bank if you resign him but he is awful good to have around as one of our reliefs.
And as usual YOU are correct.
Person holds value as being a good depth guy across the board. He is a no brainer keep to me and one that might be able to be done before FA period starts.
What you are saying about Kendricks is probably true but I really want the Rams to keep him. I really like him as a player....this sort of evaluation approach would make me a terrible GM. To me he is a Ram and "needs" to stay in horns.

Ramathon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
....Jones is a 4th round pick while Wells is an expensive long time vet. That's a possible reason why he's playing. I'd be disappointed if that's why, though.

Agreed. I know Fisher is a fan of vets on the OL. And as a general rule of thumb, I think that's a good idea. But I'm with you...if the only reason Wells is playing ahead of BJones at this point is because he's a vet, and expensive one at that, then I'm seriously disappointed in Fisher.

Ramathon

Not a lot.

I think he's likely better than Wells too...or at minimum, more consistent. He doesn't seem like a flashy player but he seemed really consistent and assignment sound. That's one issue I've had with Wells...for the veteran that he is...he's been very inconsistent with his play this year. He's made a lot of mistakes he shouldn't be making.

I'd love to be wrong about this, but that sounds to me like a vet that's made his money, realizes this is his last yr, and is just mailing it in.

Ramathon

What you see is likely what you get. But I think he's capable of being a steady starter. I just don't foresee greatness. Could be wrong.

Mike Gruttaduria v2?

Hopefully, I didn't butcher the spelling of his last name.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Sounds like he is hurt to me because he wasn't even being played as a BU.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Sounds like he is hurt to me because he wasn't even being played as a BU.

Yeah, he had a back injury that set him back and he lost all his previous progress with his strength and conditioning. He should be fully healthy again.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yeah, he had a back injury that set him back and he lost all his previous progress with his strength and conditioning. He should be fully healthy again.
Yes, the back injury cost him any chance to compete for any substantial role last year. But that being said, he was behind Barnes in the backup Center role at the time of his injury.

Look for Barnes to be re-signed within the next week. The Rams have made another offer to him, and to my knowledge, its down to the Rams and one other team vying for his services. Just a matter if this other team wants to beat the Rams offer. If and when Barnes is brought back, IMO, he will come in as the early front runner to win the Center job, assuming they don't sign Wisniewski.

Jones will have to show he can make it thru an entire camp healthy, and show improvement both being stronger, and in his ability to play the position at a consistent level.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Maybe Barrett's a Dapper Dan man, and Fisher is more of a pomade guy:

O-Brother-Where-Art-Thou.png

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes, the back injury cost him any chance to compete for any substantial role last year. But that being said, he was behind Barnes in the backup Center role at the time of his injury.

Look for Barnes to be re-signed within the next week. The Rams have made another offer to him, and to my knowledge, its down to the Rams and one other team vying for his services. Just a matter if this other team wants to beat the Rams offer. If and when Barnes is brought back, IMO, he will come in as the early front runner to win the Center job, assuming they don't sign Wisniewski.

Jones will have to show he can make it thru an entire camp healthy, and show improvement both being stronger, and in his ability to play the position at a consistent level.

Yes I agree fully on the last sentence CoachO. Barrett has a ton of major NCAA experience in some of the biggest games 2009-2013. But very short in the NFL ..suited up for 10 games in two seasons saw major action in one game. But with Barrett the issue is NOT experience its a health issue injuries, two surgeries in back to back years & the loss of power, strength & conditioning that is always lost due to such things. Add to the fact that in truth in college most of the time Barrett just used his natural large body into position & then just use his brain to out think his opponents into submission:huh:....yes I said that. Barrett can not play in the NFL running his usual course he did in Bama, he must be in super shape something that has eluded him. The power, strength & conditioning over time as we all know can be overcame & this off season was the time to get it done :lifting:if he wants to remain in the NFL....otherwise its over.

As far as our future starting center...Tim Barnes....Fisher would be foolish to permit him to play elsewhere. Barnes should be as many have advised me here in the forum over & over most always in my Joe Barksdale opinion posts....:fighting: that we do not need HOF'ers at ever position in the OL.....(y) got that! Now here's a perfect example of a solid not spectacular Ram OLer who does not have glaring HOLES in his game i.e....like Barksdale plus he will not ask to be overpaid i.e. like Barksdale. Barnes has played in 45 Ram games & finished 5 games as the Rams starting center. This is an obvious NO Brain-er in my Ram world. Barnes makes much more sense IMO that being held hostage by the $$$$ demands of a Barksdale. If you get Barnes back in here along with Rhaney & Barrett Jones your 3 up @ center all of them youthful talented solid OL'ers. Barnes return would permit Fisher to work the seriously versatile Jones in other needed position posts i.e OLG & ORT;).

They could sign Barnes to start @ center & sign Wisniewski to start @ OLG. Now the Rams only has ONE starting OL post Right Tackle to work on in the draft & with 2015 Ram reserve contingent.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc

Good day Bonifay
Remind me to never get in a p*ssing contest with you. How you know what you know is spectacular. Could not hope to emulate your post.
Hope I am not putting words in your mouth, but if I may, it boils down to, a solid LOT , a passable group of coachable- interchangeable parts (ROT,ROG,LOG) and a Center with brains.
Pound the ball, manage the QB and play D.
Is this what you see or am I amiss?