Barrett Jones - Wherefore Art Thou?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sure hope there is some upside with Jones, although it can be a bit of a mystery with guys like him. Just not much to go by. I sincerely hope he can contribute, I guess I'm not holding my breath...

What you see is likely what you get. But I think he's capable of being a steady starter. I just don't foresee greatness. Could be wrong.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with details:
However, there were some other plays where Jones gave up a bit too much ground while being bullrushed.
I agreed with your response to LACHAMP. Although saying he's a good college center is a pretty low bar.

As for your response to me, thanks for those details. Reason for hope.

The susceptibility to the bull rush has been a constant hasn't it. Maybe his strength program suffered a major setback due to his back problems? TC next year will tell the story.

I'd like to see him get some more playing time this year too. Not against the Shehags though. Not if he's not as good as Wells or Joseph. I really want to beat them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agreed with your response to LACHAMP. Although saying he's a good college center is a pretty low bar.

As for your response to me, thanks for those details. Reason for hope.

The susceptibility to the bull rush has been a constant hasn't it. Maybe his strength program suffered a major setback due to his back problems? TC next year will tell the story.

I'd like to see him get some more playing time this year too. Not against the Shehags though. Not if he's not as good as Wells or Joseph. I really want to beat them.

I would love to see him against the Seahawks and Giants...but I'm not expecting it to happen. The coaches seem content with the OL we're starting.

I was thinking the same thing on the back problems. That might have set him back on some of the gains he had gotten.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
He kept changing positions every year. Now, was that because he was so versatile and taking one for the team or because Alabama kept finding players who could play the position he was currently in better than Jones could?

As for the awards, how many Heisman trophy winners are starting in the NFL?
I don't know how many Heisman Trophy winners are starting in the NFL. But I do know that I would expect more than we have gotten from a 3x all american, and the Outland and Remington award winner in different years.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I don't know how many Heisman Trophy winners are starting in the NFL. But I do know that I would expect more than we have gotten from a 3x all american, and the Outland and Remington award winner in different years.
Don't forget: Team Captain.

Alan

Legend
Jumava1968 feeling the pain:
I know exactly what you mean. I felt the exact same way when we drafted him. Then after the euphoria of finally drafting an O-line player before the 5th round wore off a little I got to thinking about why he fell to the 4th round. Especially with all that hardware you mentioned. It set me to actually thinking about this guy and doing some research on him.

It's good to hear what jrry said about him though isn't it. Don't give up yet.

I'm still unimpressed with college awards though. Few have translated to the NFL. When it happens though...:)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know exactly what you mean. I felt the exact same way when we drafted him. Then after the euphoria of finally drafting an O-line player before the 5th round wore off a little I got to thinking about why he fell to the 4th round. Especially with all that hardware you mentioned. It set me to actually thinking about this guy and doing some research on him.

It's good to hear what jrry said about him though isn't it. Don't give up yet.

I'm still unimpressed with college awards though. Few have translated to the NFL. When it happens though...:)

I don't know, these lists don't look too bad:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Biletnikoff_Award
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Bednarik_Award
;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's better than I remembered. A good proportion of busts too.

Of course those lists at those two positions might have been cherry picking among the awards a little eh? :LOL:

I admit to nothing. ;)

xander47

Rookie
I think I read somewhere that Jones was practicing at tackle? They're probably just using him everywhere as a depth guy this year, and give him a chance next year to beat someone out as he gets stronger

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
While it's nice to have patience, center and guard positions are so critical to get filled by better players for next year that I wouldn't give Jones a second thought if a good prospect was available in any round when we pick. There have been a few long debates about the value of certain QBs and whether or not running QBs are better than passing ones, but in reality the Rams probably would have won 9 or 10 games this year just by having better players than Wells and Joseph and giving Hill the nod earlier. That's not to second guess Fisher on Hill, at the time I understood it but hindsight is never wrong. Point is, I don't think we can afford to rely on Jones. Kinda like Bradford, you hope that they can be there, but you shouldn't count on it.

fearsomefour

Legend
People keep making assumptions that because Jones isn't starting, he's not good. I watched him against KC and the guy did not look out of his element. I've seen some really crappy OLs over the years get forced into action...and you could tell right away they were crap. Jones did not look like crap.

Why is he not starting? I don't know. I wish Fisher would play him because Wells has made some major mistakes this year that are inexcusable.

But I don't think it's fair to the guy to assume he's not good because he hasn't played. Remember, Davin Joseph was starting over Greg Robinson and Kendall Langford was starting over Aaron Donald for a time. And those guys were first round picks...so they were definitely going to eventually start.

Jones is a 4th round pick while Wells is an expensive long time vet. That's a possible reason why he's playing. I'd be disappointed if that's why, though.
Hard to know for sure. Unless they (Fisher, OC, Oline coach) feel there is a large enough upgrade they probably just stick with the vet....although that has not been the case at other positions. No matter what happens the Rams have some spots to figure out this off season. I would expect the Rams to sign a FA C and maybe draft one to compete with Jones, Rhaney and maybe Barnes next year. Rhaney had very enticing athleticism before his injury.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Barrett Jones is right where Boudreau wants him....on the bench. Barrett for all practicality is a rookie presently. Jones never saw the field last season & only dressed for 3 late season games in 2013. This 2014 season Barrett Jones has only suited up for 7 games after having back surgery early in TC seeing only one game with the regular offense as a starter in the second half of the KC game when Center Barnes was injured & Person was starting due to the Jake Long ACL tear injury.Barrett Jones did very well in that appearance.

Jones played played all five offensive line positions during his four years starting at Alabama. Barrett is the same player who received the Outland Trophy as the nation’s best “interior lineman” as well as the SEC’s Jacob Blocking Trophy, given to the league’s best lineman. Barrett also won the Wuerffel Trophy! Barrett has been many times been on All-American and All-SEC teams, as well as winning the Rimington Trophy (awarded to the nation’s top center), despite a Lisfranc injury limiting his mobility over the second half of the season. Barrett is Mr. Versatility. But Center is the OL position that Barrett was made for in the NFL. Where his smarts can be fully utilized. If the Rams are unable to find another OG Barrett would fair well enough but not all that good @ OLG post with Saffold returning to the ORG post. But if vets Wells or Barnes win the starting post in 2015 Barrett IMO would be an excellent game day dressed reserve for all five OL positions, very hard to find OL'ers like this.

Barrett Jones has Ram competition too ...he has two more seasoned OL'ers Barnes [6th]& Person[7th](both have 4 NFL seasons under their belts) on the Rams roster who play center. So Barrett Jones [who is Boudreau's 8th OL'er] is the youngest & less experienced in the NFL of all the Rams OL reserves. The Rookie Robinson situation was a rarity here where the Rams have not drafted but one OL in the first two days of three NFL drafts. So young healthy talented rookies have been mostly absent.

Boudreau has stuck with Wells since his arrival even with two seasons being on the IR and serious injuries since his arrival. Boudreau will not play young OL'er unless he is forced too. Wells was brought in here after Boudreau's arrival early 2012. It would be very hard for me to think that Fisher & Snead would have not signed Scott Wells to his large contract without Boudreau very heavy involvement as Scott Wells advocate. Scott Wells will be 34 in less than a month & looks to be on his way to complete his first full NFL season since his signing in 2012. I firmly believe that Scott Wells is what Boudreau want in his center. One would think since they have been paying Wells since 2012 big money & since he is the healthiest might as well try to get their money's worth out of him. Boudreau prefers to start & play well seasoned older vets like Davin Joseph, Chris Williams, Quinn Ojinnaka, Harvey Dahl, Wayne Hunter , Barry Richardson, Robert Turner & Max Starks even though they may be non effective.

Bottom Line Boudreau has five OL'ers entering free agency here in a very short few months. Rams do have Wells locked up in 2015 @ a cap hit of nearly 5 million. Plus Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney under contract so the center position is the fattest of the five OL posts. Rams could also sign center FA Tim Barnes back (a highly probable event) making the center post well fortified in comparison to the other four OL positions. Thus there was no real reason to throw Barrett Jones into the fire @ center. Fisher & Boudreau all know very well that Barrett will be a very good young NFL center for this Ram team in the future.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
"Plus Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney under contract so the center position is the fattest of the five OL posts."

As you said it is likely they would bring Barnes back as well. I would not call that fat. That is certainly quantity over quality at this point. I was stoked when the Rams brought in Wells based on his play in Green Bay and their lack of talent at the position. He has been injured often and now seems like he is well past his prime. The other have no experience and we really don't know what they bring to the table in the NFL. I like what I saw of Rhaney a lot last preseason. Jones could very well be a good C in the NFL....who knows at this point? I don't think the Rams are keeping him on the roster just for kicks....I think he factors into their plans, but, it will be interesting to see how they address the position in the offseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
"Plus Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney under contract so the center position is the fattest of the five OL posts."

As you said it is likely they would bring Barnes back as well. I would not call that fat. That is certainly quantity over quality at this point. I was stoked when the Rams brought in Wells based on his play in Green Bay and their lack of talent at the position. He has been injured often and now seems like he is well past his prime. The other have no experience and we really don't know what they bring to the table in the NFL. I like what I saw of Rhaney a lot last preseason. Jones could very well be a good C in the NFL....who knows at this point? I don't think the Rams are keeping him on the roster just for kicks....I think he factors into their plans, but, it will be interesting to see how they address the position in the offseason.

Good morning fearsomefour,

Rams certainly have more options @ center than they do anywhere else on OL posts. They do have options with Wells-Barnes-Jones & Rhaney. Lets see who do the Rams have signed @ ORT? Zero with one option that signing a UFA. OK lets see who do the Rams have signed @ ORG? Zero any options @ ORG? If Saffold is not healthy early in 2015 after a major surgery on that shoulder who do the Rams have signed that could start @ OLG? Zero. Is Jake Long an bona fide option @ ORT or swing OT @ 10.5 million cap cost in 2015? most likely zero chance of that. So who do the Rams have groomed signed to be the swing reserve OT?

Looks to me that the center positions is much better condition (Fat) in 2015 than most of the others. Much more known s are known @ center.;)

To me its a no brainer what Ram unit is most of need of reconstruction & beefing up in 2015 is there.:whistle:

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
People keep making assumptions that because Jones isn't starting, he's not good. I watched him against KC and the guy did not look out of his element. I've seen some really crappy OLs over the years get forced into action...and you could tell right away they were crap. Jones did not look like crap.

Why is he not starting? I don't know. I wish Fisher would play him because Wells has made some major mistakes this year that are inexcusable.

But I don't think it's fair to the guy to assume he's not good because he hasn't played. Remember, Davin Joseph was starting over Greg Robinson and Kendall Langford was starting over Aaron Donald for a time. And those guys were first round picks...so they were definitely going to eventually start.

Jones is a 4th round pick while Wells is an expensive long time vet. That's a possible reason why he's playing. I'd be disappointed if that's why, though.

Before everyone gets too excited about his play against KC, by the time Jones got in, the Chiefs had pulled most of their D-line starters and were doing very little blitzing as the game was already well in hand. Not really a true test, more like pre-season action.

Alan

Legend
woofwoofmo throwing cold water:
Before everyone gets too excited about his play against KC, by the time Jones got in, the Chiefs had pulled most of their D-line starters and were doing very little blitzing as the game was already well in hand.
Thanks for that depressing commentary. :(