Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well the Raiders have expressed they'd want 2 first round picks for Mack. I wonder what the Rams would ask for AD if this contract stuff turns to be more of a distraction than it's worth:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ers-seek-at-least-2-firstround-picks-for-mack
That article is kind of a misquote. Their GM said he refused an offer for a first rounder and another early pick so the author assumed they wanted two firsts. It could mean they aren’t fielding trade offers or it could mean they want those picks and a replacement player. It really could mean a lot of things.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'm just trying to get this thread to 200 pages before Tuesday

NOD58CG.gif

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

My point is you want his bigger cap hits upfront before they have to pay Goff. So I see an advantage of taking bigger hits now so their cap is not overloaded 3 and 4 years from now when Goff is getting paid.

I saw the Niners took a $45M cap hit for Garropallo this year I believe so they get it out of tehe way befor etheir roster starts adding more highly priced players.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm just trying to get this thread up to 200 pages before Tuesday

While we appreciate your contribution, I'm not sure its doable. There is blood, sweat, plenty of tears, and probably some bodily fluids not appropriate for this forum in these first 138 pages. You don't just crap out the last 62 pages in a long weekend. It can't be done.

Or can it?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point is you want his bigger cap hits upfront before they have to pay Goff. So I see an advantage of taking bigger hits now so their cap is not overloaded 3 and 4 years from now when Goff is getting paid.

I saw the Niners took a $45M cap hit for Garropallo this year I believe so they get it out of tehe way befor etheir roster starts adding more highly priced players.

The 49ers are at a different point in the process. Our window is open. We want to maximize the talent we can afford now.

Ram65

Legend

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

I'm home from the hospital and loopy and woozy from these wonderful drugs, but even I would be stupid to believe through all these negotiations that Aaron was only trying to get on average $18 million annually. Nighty night.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh no you din't. You didn't really use the Browns as a business model for us to follow. :eek:

KD has often talked about preferring the pay as you go model. He doesn't seem to agree with you on the dead money issue.

Regardless of if you agree with his methodology, it is still likely to affect how they also structure the AD contract.

"Our goal throughout the past few years has been to reduce the dead money possibilities of all veteran contracts," - Kevin Demoff via Turf Show Times
“So there is a design to this,” Demoff said. “And we’ve also shifted philosophies really to a lower signing bonus, a pay-as-you-go mentality, which I think has been effective.”

That approach has helped the Rams avoid getting buried in dead money — money already paid to a player — that still counts against the cap after he’s released or traded. There were times years ago, when the Rams had millions of dead money counting against the cap.

As for this year?

“Right now I think we’re 31st in the league in dead money for 2014,” Demoff said. “I think we have $133,000.”

As recently as 2009, the Rams had the dubious distinction of leading the league in dead money.

“I think where people sometimes look at our salary cap situation — and I don’t want to say get confused,” Demoff said. “But just because we’re tighter against the cap than a team, doesn’t mean we don’t have flexibility. All of our contracts are designed for extreme salary cap flexibility. Sometimes we use it; sometimes we don’t.”

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The 49ers are at a different point in the process. Our window is open. We want to maximize the talent we can afford now.

I also think you want the window to be open longer... so by front-loading what you can within reason, you extend the window.

Do the patriots maximize a window or do they work to sustain their window???

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I also think you want the window to be open longer... so by front-loading what you can within reason, you extend the window.

Do the patriots maximize a window or do they work to sustain their window???
Neither. They cheat.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That would be a pleasant surprise. Although, it's possible the practical value is $18M per year while the max value is $22M to $23M per year.

I expect the Rams to pay him as a DE basically, due to his pressures totals year to year. He might play inside but his contributions are of DE quality. So since the top contract was a couple years back in that $18M range, I'd be surprised if that's where AD and the Rams end up being.

$21M per year range is probably more likely, but the key is the guaranteed money and what he gets frontloaded. Dude will be set the rest of his life that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.