Aaron Donald Retires

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Lot of things point to why.

1. Family first

2. His body

3. Big bucks no whammies

4. less motivated after achieving goals

5. Hendo left for USC.

6. No fun being double teamed every play

7. Retiring = more free time

8. Nothing left to accomplish after SB win

9. Stats are up there, already 1st ballot HOFer

10. Rah went to ATL

Other thoughts:

Leaves with his health and body intact. It's not fun being injured and in pain.

Wishing that he would come back at some point is like wishing for a beloved GF who left to come back after a breakup. Time to cut bait.

Like Sinatra, he did it his way.

Last edited:

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I usually only talk about "foolio" when we are all bashing him however did anyone see or watch is video on AD? I would post it but never a fan of posting his crap not hard to find though. Obviously we are all down sad but happy for AD and I never thought foolio would be the one to make me feel a bit better but his video does have some smoke to it. Makes sense and if Tom Brady did it like 6 times why can AD do it? Love him or hate him I'd watch it

I'm to sad/lazy to scroll up to see if someone mentioned or posted it already

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Cuz Brady wanted to keep playing but his wife wanted him to retire and then went out and fucked the tennis instructor. So he unretired… others missed it too much

AD isn’t that guy. I highly doubt he comes back for a playoff run. Why?

He’s a guy that has earned everything from hard work. Is it really like him to jump on late to grab a ring he didn’t work for all season?

I don’t think he is and I think folks are setting themselves up for a larger and delayed disappointment when he stays retired as opposed to just dealing with the fact that he’s retired now

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Tennis Coach Smile GIF by Mouratoglou
Met Gala Fashion GIF by E!

tom_brady_gif_tablet.gif

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First post re Aaron Donald's retirement... what a class guy and great football player. We have been lucky to have him. Nothing I can add to the previous posts other than I will miss watching him on Sundays. Good luck, Aaron in your next endeavor. And thank you for so many great moments.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
This one is hitting me hard.

With others, the end was more expected, and there was decline leading up to retirement.

Still…if he’s happy, he’s earned it, and I’m happy for him.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
For me, only "silver lining" of the recent news is that the Rams have known about this for a LONG time. The retirement announcement was a stunner, so many of us thought it took the Rams somewhat by surprise too.

Then we learned that the Rams knew by the start of free agency. Then we learned that AD told McVay "I'm full" the day after the playoff game in Detroit. And now we're learning that many of the Rams suspected this might be AD's farewell tour even prior to the 2023 season.

So... the Rams have had PLENTY of time to prepare for this. Nobody can replace AD, but Kobie Turner is becoming a monster in his own right.

So now we know for certain that the Rams declined FA help on the DL because they didn't think the value was right. The element of surprise had nothing to do with it.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
O'dell Beckham Jr. was drafted one spot before AD, and in a play of irony, Beckham Jr. winded up on the Rams and collected a Super Bowl ring. And Jeff Fisher drafted and was pumped to get AD in the draft. Even though Jeff Fisher couldn't win with all that talent, at least McVay was able to use AD's talent to cash in a ring.

While for selfish reasons I would have loved to see AD for 2 more seasons, I can't fault him for retiring while healthy and having accomplished everything he could. Arguably the best DT of all time and the stats bear it out.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

If you're wondering why AD walked away from $33m you would have to know that he has already made $157m thus far in his career.

That's a big chunk of money for a DT. Unheard of before AD entered the scene.

Yes. And no doubt. Enough bucks for several generations of his family. However much is enough... that's enough.

But also imo AD may have wanted to go out while still at the top of his game, not in a slow but inevitable decline. Most guys in pro sports hang on until they can't. AD made a different choice.

And, yes, there is still a life after football, including family, friends, helping young people, coaching, and many other opportunities. Private or public, whatever he wants to do, he can do it.

AD imo achieved as much on the field as any player possibly could have, especially considering his position. What more could he have done?

AD imo really won the Super Bowl for the Rams (apologies to Kupp, Stafford, and others, but...)

Arguably, and maybe in fact, the greatest defensive player of all time.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
O'dell Beckham Jr. was drafted one spot before AD, and in a play of irony, Beckham Jr. winded up on the Rams and collected a Super Bowl ring. And Jeff Fisher drafted and was pumped to get AD in the draft. Even though Jeff Fisher couldn't win with all that talent, at least McVay was able to use AD's talent to cash in a ring.

While for selfish reasons I would have loved to see AD for 2 more seasons, I can't fault him for retiring while healthy and having accomplished everything he could. Arguably the best DT of all time and the stats bear it out.
Much worse to consider is that the Rams drafted Greg Robinson at No. 2 and AD at only No. 13.

Could have had Khalil Mack AND AD.

(Wonder who was responsible for picking GR?? couldn't have been Brad Holmes, must have been some Auburn guy.)

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Much worse to consider is that the Rams drafted Greg Robinson at No. 2 and AD at only No. 13.

The Rams almost made a Draft-day trade for a 3rd first rounder to select Zack Martin.

Had they done that and drafted Mack, the Rams would have selected three future Hall of Famers in Round 1.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
but if it meant keeping Fisher… no. Fisher wasn’t a guy who was gonna take you to the promised land… he could rescue a lost org and get them to mediocrity with some talent on the roster, but that’s it.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Still doesn't feel real. But man oh man, what a privilege. I literally watched every snap of his NFL career. Not always live. But if I can't see a Rams game live, I always hide the score and tape it. Every snap. From draft day until retirement. Of the best defensive player of all time. We're really lucky as Rams fans to have had that opportunity. And that Donald and the Rams won a Super Bowl, it really does make it feel complete. I just wish I got to see him play in person.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

(Wonder who was responsible for picking GR?? couldn't have been Brad Holmes, must have been some Auburn guy.)
Yeah, Fisher's kid played with Robinson...granted Snead is an alum, but Fisher ran the show then.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Sorry for the poor format of that last post. Not sure what happened when posting the picture.