OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see them rushing on it.

And, as you say.. it's a GM/Coach thing, potentially.
I don't see them doing it either from what I read on Paton. But it is possible they could do it and there are obvious reasons for it to be done. As things stand from all I read there's as good a chance he's fired as anybody else in the league right now.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some may agree. Some may disagree. But if the Broncos had Jared Goff, they'd be top two in their division right now and basically locked into a playoff bid. Teddy's numbers don't look awful, but that offense, despite all of its talent, cannot consistently move the ball. I think Goff would do a lot more with that squad. He would turn the ball over more, but he'd also score more points. I really wish a decent squad had gotten ahold of him this past offseason. It would have been a lot more enjoyable watching him play lol.

forget the broncos. i can't believe the colts didn't try to get him. look at him when he had prime gurley. throwing dimes everywhere. can't believe they went with wentz.

as bad as it was for the rams when things went a little south and goff couldn't improvise, that would have been perfect for the colts with a beast like taylor giving them good situational football. wentz can't follow a script to save his life. goff would execute the play the way it was drawn up or throw it away. he was like that with the rams until that wasn't enough and they needed more from him. that's when he couldn't give mcvay what he wanted.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’d prefer that if Fangio is fired that he holds off on a decision to be a DC somewhere.

If there is a chance that Morris gets another shot at head coach it would be great if Fangio was available. I wonder if it would be tampering if McVay had that conversation with Vic in two weeks. Coaching the Rams defense would be enticing for him imo. But how long can he hold out? Don’t OCs and DCs follow head coach hires pretty quickly?

Another musing. After working with Wade Phillips, It seems that McVay has hired a lot of younger coaches. Is that just because:

1. He himself is young and has similar aged friends?
2. He prefers fresh new ideas
3. He finds older coaches to be less flexible?

A guy like Fangio has a great track record. Would that means it would free McVay up to not worry about the Defense? Similar to Morris?

Then I wonder is McVay getting tired of losing all of his up and coming assistants every year and think a former head coach is less likely to get poached?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d prefer that if Fangio is fired that he holds off on a decision to be a DC somewhere.

If there is a chance that Morris gets another shot at head coach it would be great if Fangio was available. I wonder if it was tampering if McVay had that conversation with Vic in two weeks. Coaching the Rams defense would be enticing for him imo. But how long can he hold out? Don’t OCs and DCs follow head coach hires pretty quickly?

Another musing. After working with Wade Phillips, I wonder it seems that McVay has hired a lot of younger coaches. Is that just because

1. He himself is young and has similar aged friends?
2. He prefers fresh new ideas
3. He finds older coaches to be less flexible?

A guy like Fangio has a great track record. Would that means it would free McVay up to not worry about the Defense? Similar to Morris?

Then I wonder is McVay getting tired of losing all of his up and coming assistants every year and think a former head coach is less likely to get poached?
I seem to remember McVay talking specifically about Wade and bringing in one coordinator that was very experienced and how it helped him grow as a coach those first few years. When you add in his ability as a DC and it was the best of both worlds. Have to wonder if he still wants that or if he wants his "coaching tree" to be young DC's as well with this year only interrupted by giving his good friend a job.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Some here felt that Pederson got a raw deal. I think his assistants were what gave him most of his success. Frank Reich specifically. Once Reich left the Eagles offense slipped.

Pederson seems like a sourpuss. I don’t like his personality. Is he really the guy to come in a change a culture? He seemed so defeated in Philadelphia. I know there arent many Sean McVays but they need to find a guy with energy. A guy that can run an organization not just coach a team. The Jaguars culture needs a complete makeover imo. It’s another reason the Meyer idea was doomed to fail. He’s got negative energy all over him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Glad to see Bowles get some traction in HC interviews. I think Morris is a better option for running the whole show leadership-wise but Bowles is deserving, definitely moreso than hiring a dial tone like Quinn.

My fear with Fangio is he ends up in SF. Don't think we'll get a shot at him because we'll be in a playoff run, but as long as he doesn't go to a primary rival I'm good.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Jaguars should just bite the bullet and hire Byron Leftwich. There's no better offensive coordinator in the league, he knows how to handle quarterbacks, and he's a long-time Jaguar.

It just makes too much sense...which is why Khan won't hire him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jaguars should just bite the bullet and hire Byron Leftwich. There's no better offensive coordinator in the league, he knows how to handle quarterbacks, and he's a long-time Jaguar.

Yeah the hire makes too much sense for even Khan to ignore.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Keeping the guy who hired Meyer says all you need to know about where that franchise is headed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Glad to see Bowles get some traction in HC interviews. I think Morris is a better option for running the whole show leadership-wise but Bowles is deserving, definitely moreso than hiring a dial tone like Quinn.

My fear with Fangio is he ends up in SF. Don't think we'll get a shot at him because we'll be in a playoff run, but as long as he doesn't go to a primary rival I'm good.
Demeco Ryans is doing a good job in San Fran. Unless he gets a better gig I think he stays

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It will be interesting to see if Pete Carroll survives this off-season or not. He is signed through 2025 and his GM is signed through 2027. That’s a fair amount of money for ownership to eat. Hopefully the 12 is forced to ride it out with Pete another 4 seasons.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It will be interesting to see if Pete Carroll survives this off-season or not. He issigned through 2025 and his GM is signed through 2027. That’s a fair amount of money for ownership to eat. Hopefully the 12 is forced to ride it out with Pete another 4 seasons.
I've read that ownership isn't happy and doesn't see this as a one year problem.

I think keeping Pete around, at this point, is probably throwing bad money at good. Time for a reboot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've read that ownership isn't happy and doesn't see this as a one year problem.

I think keeping Pete around, at this point, is probably throwing bad money at good. Time for a reboot.
He signed for five years at 35 million. So they’d lose a pretty big chunk of money if they let him go.

Personally I think they could stick a fork in him.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He signed for five years at 35 million. So they’d lose a pretty big chunk of money if they let him go.

Personally I think they could stick a fork in him.
I've read Jody Allen is worth $20 Billion. She can deal with it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It will be interesting to see if Pete Carroll survives this off-season or not. He issigned through 2025 and his GM is signed through 2027. That’s a fair amount of money for ownership to eat. Hopefully the 12 is forced to ride it out with Pete another 4 seasons.
I'm guessing they need to choose between Wilson and Carroll. And I don't see them dealing Wilson, not when Carroll seems to come up short vs the younger coaches in this division.

Carroll's old as hell too. I know which way I'd go at least. :laugh1:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm guessing they need to choose between Wilson and Carroll. And I don't see them dealing Wilson, not when Carroll seems to come up short vs the younger coaches in this division.

Carroll's old as hell too. I know which way I'd go at least. :laugh1:
Carroll should just retire.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Carroll should just retire.
Not sure he will, even if he leaves Seattle. I will give Pete Carroll this, he looks great for 70 and I believe too many teams would be interested in Carroll. Chicago Bears for one, although I firmly believe that Brian Daboll is the perfect fit in Chicago.