OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's never too early to start talking about coaches being fired is it?

Who's on the hot seat?

Urban Meyer I think is an obvious answer. His team is terrible and we've all seen him showing his true colors down there as well.
Vic Fangio? That's an impressive defense and some good talent on O other than QB and they just keep under performing.
Matt Rhule, a billionaire owner who's not a fan of losing and hasn't seen any progress from the hot college coach after two year. Plus I think Rhule is going to get some interest from colleges.
There's already an opening in Vegas we all know about.
Mike Zimmer for obvious reasons
Joe Judge and Gettleman I think are both gone, a complete cleaning of house is warranted.
Matt Nagy IMO is the most obvious answer along with Pace. They just aren't good at all and you have a young QB so bring in somebody new.

Some will say Petey but I'm not sure hot seat applies to him but he could be one of those mutual parting of ways out of respect for his time there.
David Culley and Robert Salah though I don't know that firing either with the state of their rosters is realistic.
Some will also add Dave Campbell and while I don't think he's the long term answer they're pretty competitive most weeks so not sure he gets the boot.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fangio and Zimmer are the two key ones, the ones who will change the league power dynamic when they slide into DC jobs (assuming they are fired and don't get rehired as HCs which is a fair assumption at this point). Hope they're both canned after the season moreso than late in the year, though I suppose either way the Rams will probably still be in the playoffs when and if that goes down so either way I don't think we'll get to benefit by it.

I do think Pete's gone too and it's because he seems outclassed by the young HCs in this division. Some of that is roster for sure but still he's had a good run so I'll be surprised if he returns.

I wouldn't fire Rhule just yet if I was the Panthers owner. The roster needs some work IMO and getting him what he needs would be the plan.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fangio and Zimmer are the two key ones, the ones who will change the league power dynamic when they slide into DC jobs (assuming they are fired and don't get rehired as HCs which is a fair assumption at this point). Hope they're both canned after the season moreso than late in the year, though I suppose either way the Rams will probably still be in the playoffs when and if that goes down so either way I don't think we'll get to benefit by it.

I do think Pete's gone too and it's because he seems outclassed by the young HCs in this division. Some of that is roster for sure but still he's had a good run so I'll be surprised if he returns.

I wouldn't fire Rhule just yet if I was the Panthers owner. The roster needs some work IMO and getting him what he needs would be the plan.
I agree, I think Petey will "retire" instead of being canned along with the GM. The Fangio and Zimmer even at their age can come in and coach a D for sure so that will be fun to watch.

Rhule to me is interesting. I can see a case for each way and he may have bought another year with the early firing of Brady this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm scared that Shanny will be out of the playoffs and will hire Fangio if/when he gets canned. That would suck.

Re: the Seahawks yeah I could see the GM getting canned. I mean how long did he live on one amazing draft. Pete will probably get another job in 5 minutes too if he wants one, I do sort of feel for him but only sort of, still mad at him post-USC.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm scared that Shanny will be out of the playoffs and will hire Fangio if/when he gets canned. That would suck.
Don't think Denver fires Fangio; and really don't see how the Niners will miss the Playoffs (unfortunately).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Broncos are 7-6 with Teddy Bridgewater at QB.

He’s saved his job, imo.
Going Surtain over Fields should get the coach and/or gm fired whoever made the call.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No idea who made the call, but doubt it was Fangio.
Don't know if he had any input on it but he's backed the GM multiple times over the season even with his current lack of a QB.

“I don’t want to speak for George, but I think I am,” Fangio said. “If we had to redo the draft right now and it was the same players available at No. 9—it’d be the same pick.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is he going to say?
It's always funny, people will criticize coach speak when they don't agree with the message. And they back it when they agree with it. Probably be diplomatic and say they'd analyze the situation as it came to them but hindsight is always 20/20 and we're happy he's here. Yes he has to back Surtain yes he has to back Teddy. Yes he could say they'd take each situation as it comes to them and you can't answer a hypothetical about redrafting because you don't know if somebody ahead of them would do the same thing and Fields would be gone. That last part would be the smart thing to say.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's never too early to start talking about coaches being fired is it?

Who's on the hot seat?

Urban Meyer I think is an obvious answer. His team is terrible and we've all seen him showing his true colors down there as well.
Vic Fangio? That's an impressive defense and some good talent on O other than QB and they just keep under performing.
Matt Rhule, a billionaire owner who's not a fan of losing and hasn't seen any progress from the hot college coach after two year. Plus I think Rhule is going to get some interest from colleges.
There's already an opening in Vegas we all know about.
Mike Zimmer for obvious reasons
Joe Judge and Gettleman I think are both gone, a complete cleaning of house is warranted.
Matt Nagy IMO is the most obvious answer along with Pace. They just aren't good at all and you have a young QB so bring in somebody new.

Some will say Petey but I'm not sure hot seat applies to him but he could be one of those mutual parting of ways out of respect for his time there.
David Culley and Robert Salah though I don't know that firing either with the state of their rosters is realistic.
Some will also add Dave Campbell and while I don't think he's the long term answer they're pretty competitive most weeks so not sure he gets the boot.
Zimmer always does just enough to hang on. Is it Zimmer or is it Cousins? Those two were meant to be together. They are the same person.

Re: the Seahawks yeah I could see the GM getting canned. I mean how long did he live on one amazing draft. Pete will probably get another job in 5 minutes too if he wants one, I do sort of feel for him but only sort of, still mad at him post-USC.
If Pete leaves Seattle Shahid Khan will snatch him up. Its a typical Khan move.
Going Surtain over Fields should get the coach and/or gm fired whoever made the call.
I don't see it with Fields. He seems like the typical college QB that heavily supplemented his lack of QB acumen by running a lot. Maybe if he had hit the ground running similar to Russell Wilson, but he's a far cry from Russ and it seems if a running QB struggles right out of the gate then he'll likely not pan out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see it with Fields. He seems like the typical college QB that heavily supplemented his lack of QB acumen by running a lot. Maybe if he had hit the ground running similar to Russell Wilson, but he's a far cry from Russ and it seems if a running QB struggles right out of the gate then he'll likely not pan out.
Don't see it with Bridgewater either. And what are you with Surtain and Bridewater? A team flirting with the wild card. But if Fields is the QB and can lead the team then you have a chance. Without a QB you're nothing and they made the choice to be nothing.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It's always funny, people will criticize coach speak when they don't agree with the message. And they back it when they agree with it. Probably be diplomatic and say they'd analyze the situation as it came to them but hindsight is always 20/20 and we're happy he's here. Yes he has to back Surtain yes he has to back Teddy. Yes he could say they'd take each situation as it comes to them and you can't answer a hypothetical about redrafting because you don't know if somebody ahead of them would do the same thing and Fields would be gone. That last part would be the smart thing to say.
You have a winning record and Fields has training wheels.
Why would a coach say anything to question the pick when your rookie is kicking ass at a prime position, in that scenario?
The Fields question is a next year question, he wouldn’t be playing right now as their in a playoff fight.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Don't see it with Bridgewater either. And what are you with Surtain and Bridewater? A team flirting with the wild card. But if Fields is the QB and can lead the team then you have a chance. Without a QB you're nothing and they made the choice to be nothing.
Maybe they believed Bridgewater is better than Fields will be?

Or maybe they felt that they didn’t want to take the chance or wait on a raw prospect to develop? Is there roster young enough for that?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe they believed Bridgewater is better than Fields will be?

Or maybe they felt that they didn’t want to take the chance or wait on a raw prospect to develop? Is there roster young enough for that?
Maybe? I saw a qb last night in the first half that was better than Teddy at his best. And that’s with shit coach and supporting cast. And now what do they do next year? Teddy doesn't appear to be the answer and they’re drafting in the middle of the pack so they’re back in qb purgatory. Sure didn’t help themselves because this upcoming qb class leaves a lot to be desired.

ddit
Theyre roster age is about the same as ours. They’re 20th youngest.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Maybe? I saw a qb last night in the first half that was better than Teddy at his best. And that’s with shit coach and supporting cast. And now what do they do next year? Teddy doesn't appear to be the answer and they’re drafting in the middle of the pack so they’re back in qb purgatory. Sure didn’t help themselves because this upcoming qb class leaves a lot to be desired.

ddit
Theyre roster age is about the same as ours. They’re 20th youngest.
But now they're in a position to trade multiple future picks to either draft a QB, or do what the Rams did.

So, they're in good shape, imo.

I mean.. prime young running back and good WRs and solid Oline and solid D. They could've gone the rookie route this year, but they've had a streak of losing seasons and weren't going to go that way this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But now they're in a position to trade multiple future picks to either draft a QB, or do what the Rams did.

So, they're in good shape, imo.

I mean.. prime young running back and good WRs and solid Oline and solid D. They could've gone the rookie route this year, but they've had a streak of losing seasons and weren't going to go that way this year.
Are they? There are no big free agent QBs, you can speculate on Wilson and Rodgers being traded but that’s not certain. And again there is speculation the qb draft is crap to the point there won’t be one drafted in the top 10. QB purgatory indeed, but hey they have a young CB.