2015 NFL Combine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I doubt we take Jake Fisher. I think you have to consider scheme fit.

I highly doubt we take him either, he doesn't really fit what we look for in OL and he's more suited to zone, though he could play both.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I posted this on another site yesterday and I thought I'd post it here too:
To this point, this is my list...by that I mean...my list of guys that I want on the Rams. I find that when it comes to the draft, it's better to find the guys you think are special and go after them then just draft players where they're expected to be taken. So these are the guys that I want on the Rams...obviously...we won't be able to get some:
QB Jameis Winston FSU
QB Marcus Mariota Oregon
HB Melvin Gordon Wisconsin
HB Todd Gurley Georgia(if medical checks out)
HB Josh Robinson Mississippi State
WR Amari Cooper Alabama
WR Kevin White West Virgina
WR DeVante Parker Louisville
WR DeAndre Smelter Georgia Tech(if medical checks out)
WR Rashad Greene FSU
WR Dorial Green-Beckham Missouri(if character checks out)
OG T.J. Clemmings Pittsburgh
OG Brandon Scherff Iowa
OG A.J. Cann South Carolina
C Cameron Erving FSU
DL Leonard Williams Southern Cal
DL Owamagbe Odighizuwa UCLA
DL Henry Anderson Stanford
LB Paul Dawson
LB Eric Kendricks
CB Marcus Peters(if character checks out)
CB Kevin White
CB Donald Celiscar
S Landon Collins

There are still quite a few guys that I haven't gotten to and since we're the Rams, I haven't looked into many pass rushers.

But these are the guys that I really like in this draft class. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't draft other players...there are other players that I like that didn't make the list...these are just the players I feel really strongly about.

Why not Peat? I think that if he's there at ten and Cooper and White are both gone (very likely), you take him without hesitation.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I doubt he will. He tore his ACL against Georgia.(final game of the regular season for GT)

But I can see on film that he's fast. Plus, check out his hips here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D77Bt-_pavk

Skip to 1:37

Look at how fluid they are on the hitch and go. He makes it look easy when most 6'2"/6'3" 220+ pound WRs struggle sinking their hips into the hitch and then exploding out of it to the go like he did.

He has tremendous flexibility and fluidity in his hips and body overall. He accelerates quickly off the LOS, has impressive top-end speed, MASSIVE hands, and is very physical while running routes. He bullies defenders and is not afraid to push off. Which I like. You can always reign a big guy in on pushing off but it's hard to instill that sort of aggressive, bully mindset in them if they don't have it.

To put it bluntly, Smelter is a freak. If he hadn't torn his ACL, I'd be saying that we need to trade down and take him in the first. Because IMO, he would have ran in the 4.38 to 4.45 range at the Combine. He's faster on tape than Waller.

Where do you see Smelter being drafted? if at all. Ive had an eye on him for a a bit and would love to grab him even if we grab a WR in the 1st. Great developmental prospect. I think we can get him very very late, probably as an udfa at this point. Would definitely bring him in if he is, or use a late round pick on him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Why not Peat? I think that if he's there at ten and Cooper and White are both gone (very likely), you take him without hesitation.

I actually prefer Flowers at this point over Peat. Think he would be better at RT or Guard. Could be horribly wrong though, Peat is no slouch, thats for sure.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where do you see Smelter being drafted? if at all. Ive had an eye on him for a a bit and would love to grab him even if we grab a WR in the 1st. Great developmental prospect. I think we can get him very very late, probably as an udfa at this point. Would definitely bring him in if he is, or use a late round pick on him.

I have no idea. But I doubt we're going to be able to get him late or in UDFA. If I know about him, I'm sure NFL teams do. My best guess is 4th/5th round. I'd take him in the 3rd if I felt I had to.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I doubt he will. He tore his ACL against Georgia.(final game of the regular season for GT)

But I can see on film that he's fast. Plus, check out his hips here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D77Bt-_pavk

Skip to 1:37

Look at how fluid they are on the hitch and go. He makes it look easy when most 6'2"/6'3" 220+ pound WRs struggle sinking their hips into the hitch and then exploding out of it to the go like he did.

He has tremendous flexibility and fluidity in his hips and body overall. He accelerates quickly off the LOS, has impressive top-end speed, MASSIVE hands, and is very physical while running routes. He bullies defenders and is not afraid to push off. Which I like. You can always reign a big guy in on pushing off but it's hard to instill that sort of aggressive, bully mindset in them if they don't have it.

To put it bluntly, Smelter is a freak. If he hadn't torn his ACL, I'd be saying that we need to trade down and take him in the first. Because IMO, he would have ran in the 4.38 to 4.45 range at the Combine. He's faster on tape than Waller.

Whats with his lower back? He grabs it on one play in the beginning and later he gets a bump on the him and he walks like it is hurting him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sam Bradford will really hard time keeping his focus on the New First Round draft pick Wide Receiver with No NFL grade OL blocking for him with his butt planted in the turf like.

But I agree with you some its distracting some even for a OL man like me. Kevin White just looks great!

Well we don't know what the plan in free agency is yet and they still could get two Olinemen in rounds 2 and 3. My guess is if Winston were to fall he is the no brainer. Otherwise it is BPA all the way with the tenth pick, or as Snead says find the top ten or twelve guys line up the biggest needs and hope that there is a match at 10 BPA at a position of need.

FA could bring in one Guard or a Center. If we are lucky maybe both. It would take pressure off of making that pick. If they resign Barksdale then that is all they need to go along with him.

I would not want them to force an Oline pick. If they feel the value is not there then trade back and in that case it would look like Oline would be the first rounder.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd trade away the rest of this year's draft to get White/Cooper, and a combo of any two: Scherff; Erving; Cann; Tomlinson; Peat; Flowers; or Collins.

edit: I like Fisher, and Douglas too, along with a few others.

Well the rest of this years draft doesn't amount to much. A third, fifth, and seventh is it? But I totally agree if they could land any three of those it would be a great draft......except they don't address QB.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I have no idea. But I doubt we're going to be able to get him late or in UDFA. If I know about him, I'm sure NFL teams do. My best guess is 4th/5th round. I'd take him in the 3rd if I felt I had to.
Idk, he is a pretty raw prospect, and think before the combine was a mid round guy, and now with not being able to show off at the combine due to a torn acl that will not have him ready for the start of the 2015 season, I could see him falling a bit more. I think 6th or even later is easily possible. I am hoping we can grab him in the 6th at worst. But you may be right. We shall see. Would make for a fun bet lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk, he is a pretty raw prospect, and think before the combine was a mid round guy, and now with not being able to show off at the combine due to a torn acl that will not have him ready for the start of the 2015 season, I could see him falling a bit more. I think 6th or even later is easily possible. I am hoping we can grab him in the 6th at worst. But you may be right. We shall see. Would make for a fun bet lol

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but if he were a mid round guy before the Combine, why would that change? NFL teams knew he had a torn ACL so the only things he'd be doing would be interviews(where he's expected to do well), medical, and measuring in. His measurements were good. We obviously don't know about the other two. So I don't know why he'd drop.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but if he were a mid round guy before the Combine, why would that change? NFL teams knew he had a torn ACL so the only things he'd be doing would be interviews(where he's expected to do well), medical, and measuring in. His measurements were good. We obviously don't know about the other two. So I don't know why he'd drop.

Thats my bad. I meant he was a mid round guy before the ACL tear. And missing out on the combine IMO will only drop him further. Also the rawness of his abilities will help him fall as well when combined with his acl tear and not being able to perform. Sorry about that. Its late and forgot to be more specific.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thats my bad. I meant he was a mid round guy before the ACL tear. And missing out on the combine IMO will only drop him further. Also the rawness of his abilities will help him fall as well when combined with his acl tear and not being able to perform. Sorry about that. Its late and forgot to be more specific.

Gotcha now. I gotta disagree with that. I think he was a 2nd day guy before the ACL tear that likely would have moved into late 1st round consideration after the Combine. Yes, he's raw but so were Thomas and Hill. When you're that size with massive hands, long arms, and his type of athleticism...teams tend to be willing to accept rawness.

Plus, he's more polished than you'd expect him to be. Route running needs development...that's no surprise but he has very impressive hips and movement skills for his size. Plus, he's fast. Teams love big guys that can run...and big guys that can run that bully DBs? Ohhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaa.

Smelter is a tough guy to guess on in terms of draft position but I think he'll be a mid round guy.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/deandre-smelter?id=2552627

FRO

Legend
We always get caught up with 40 times with WRs. What is super impressive, and maybe more important is the three cone and 20 yard shuttle. Amari Cooper's three cone is outstanding for a guy his size. The guy is efficient with his movement, can cut on a dime.

Offensive line is our biggest need. We can't be need fillers in the draft though. Good offensive guards can be had later in the draft. If we have a shot at Cooper or White we should take it. We do not have an elite playmaker on offense right now. We have some good players, we don't have that guy teams fear. We need that guy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW, J.J. Nelson apparently had a really good day today. No surprise that he ran in the 4.2s in the 40 but he also did well in the positional drills from what I'm reading. If he's on the board in the 6th/7th round...I wouldn't mind us grabbing him for his KR role and as a situational deep threat. Obviously, being as small as he is will limit what he can do offensively.

FRO

Legend
Mentioning 3 cone, DGB's numbers are insane for a man his size. To me three cone is more important than 40. Amendola ran a slow 40, but he was able to get open because he was quick and sudden in his movements. Three cone is the way to test that. DGB passed with flying colors.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We always get caught up with 40 times with WRs. What is super impressive, and maybe more important is the three cone and 20 yard shuttle. Amari Cooper's three cone is outstanding for a guy his size. The guy is efficient with his movement, can cut on a dime.

Offensive line is our biggest need. We can't be need fillers in the draft though. Good offensive guards can be had later in the draft. If we have a shot at Cooper or White we should take it. We do not have an elite playmaker on offense right now. We have some good players, we don't have that guy teams fear. We need that guy.

I think all of it is a bit overrated but Cooper did stand out today. Did amazing in the 3CD and short shuttle. Kevin White also had impressive 3CD and short shuttle times for his size.

Cooper is a NFL ready impact player. He's a rare type of guy that can step in Day 1 and be a very productive WR in a NFL offense because his skills are that polished.

That all said, I still hate the "(Position) can be had later in the draft." I can say the same thing about any other position except maybe QB(definitely QB this year). WRs can be had later in the draft too.

That shouldn't influence our decision making. Our decision making should be based on value as well as the strengths and weaknesses of this year's draft class.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Gotcha now. I gotta disagree with that. I think he was a 2nd day guy before the ACL tear that likely would have moved into late 1st round consideration after the Combine. Yes, he's raw but so were Thomas and Hill. When you're that size with massive hands, long arms, and his type of athleticism...teams tend to be willing to accept rawness.

Plus, he's more polished than you'd expect him to be. Route running needs development...that's no surprise but he has very impressive hips and movement skills for his size. Plus, he's fast. Teams love big guys that can run...and big guys that can run that bully DBs? Ohhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaa.

Smelter is a tough guy to guess on in terms of draft position but I think he'll be a mid round guy.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/deandre-smelter?id=2552627

2nd day is mid round for me(3rd-4th). I think Hill might have changed teams thoughts about taking a raw wr early. I think the WR class is kinda close to the QB class of this year. A few elite prospects early, but the rest are 2nd(if reaching) or later.

I agree with you on his skill set. He is a bully which is great, but with the combination o acl tear and no combine I can see him falling.

Usually agree with you jerry but gotta disagree with you on this. I say we make a bet on this. could be fun. say maybe $250 mil, just need to figure out the over/under. if your're up to it.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think all of it is a bit overrated but Cooper did stand out today. Did amazing in the 3CD and short shuttle. Kevin White also had impressive 3CD and short shuttle times for his size.

Cooper is a NFL ready impact player. He's a rare type of guy that can step in Day 1 and be a very productive WR in a NFL offense because his skills are that polished.

That all said, I still hate the "(Position) can be had later in the draft." I can say the same thing about any other position except maybe QB(definitely QB this year). WRs can be had later in the draft too.

That shouldn't influence our decision making. Our decision making should be based on value as well as the strengths and weaknesses of this year's draft class.

Still agree with you on Cooper, have loved him since his freshman season like you have. He is special. And will be amazing in the NFL. I think me and you were on the Cooper bandwagon before most here. Both loved him more than Watkins last year. He is my favorite type of WR. Good size, fast, great route runner, hand catcher. Can you ask for anything more?