1st Round | Pick 10, Rams select: RB Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I said it here a month or two ago, but you can't build a run-first team without an elite RB. Mason is not an elite RB. Gurley looks like he could become one.

Also, the 2015 draft is not just about the 2015 season.

RamBill

Legend
Total breakdown: Rams draft RB Todd Gurley in first round
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...down-rams-draft-rb-todd-gurley-in-first-round

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A few quick thoughts on the St. Louis Rams' first-round draft pick:

The pick: Todd Gurley, running back, Georgia

My take: Some might view this pick as a complete surprise, but that's only for those who haven't paid attention to Rams coach Jeff Fisher's affinity for the running game and running backs. Gurley is the fifth running back the Rams have drafted in four years with Fisher at the helm. He's also clearly the highest rated of those backs and the one who gives the Rams a chance to finally be the power-running team they've long wanted to be. Coming off a knee injury, Gurley doesn't come without his share of risk but the Rams believe he's the best back to come out of the draft since Adrian Peterson. If Gurley lives up to that lofty comparison, he's worth it.

Rams not afraid of risk: Giving this pick a thumbs-up is a tough debate. Gurley is coming off a torn left ACL and is actually still in the process of rehabilitating. But the Rams feel like they can be patient and allow him to get to full speed because they have other options. Namely, Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham and Zac Stacy. In fact, it has been common practice for the Rams to have about a four-game waiting period before plugging a rookie running back into the lineup. They did it with Stacy in 2013 and Mason last year. So Gurley would fit right in.

Who's blocking? The question now becomes, who will be blocking for Gurley this season? The Rams still have gaping holes at guard, tackle and, to a slightly lesser degree, center. The good news is that Gurley averaged 3 yards after contact per rush and gained more than 1,500 of his 3,285 rush yards after contact in his college career. Also, the Rams still have five more picks to bolster the offensive line and could conceivably re-sign tackle Joe Barksdale and/or add veteran guard Justin Blalock in free agency.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well, having Barksdale and Blalock blocking for a guy who already has an ACL injury is a fan-freaking-tastic way to win games. What do you want me to say about this pick? That it's good? That's not happening.
At least they didn't trade Brokers to move up to #7

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But he has it nonetheless. An ACL no less. And we already had a damn running game. We still need an offensive line, but apparently, Fisher still thinks that you only need six players on the fucking field to win.

Not what I meant. I meant that he's not Adrian Peterson in that he's going to recover quickly from an ACL and dominate. He had it pretty recently. I don't expect him to come in and dominate like you guys do.

I'd take Peat over Barksdale easily. If you wouldn't, then I really don't know what to say to you. As for Blalock, he's over thirty. I don't want a goddamn stopgap at the O-line AGAIN.

And how is it a good idea to add a running back who already has an ACL with a fucking top ten pick?

He'd be better if we had a fucking offensive line to speak of. Our entire freaking offense would be better if we didn't have Swiss cheese for an offensive line.

Alright Mem - we get it. I need you to stop cussing us and the organization out. You have been on quite a tear lately. We allow curse words on here but you are getting abusive with the privilege. What you are doing is akin to using all caps in your responses. Keep in mind. You are sharing a beer with us at a bar. Frankly, I'd be walking you out the door long ago.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I want to like this pick... I REALLY do... But I don't. Darnit...

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Gurley is a big-risk, big-upside talent
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_76e3e917-87be-55b8-a261-e53c1c4729ee.html

Going into the draft, I expected Rams GM Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher to take their vitamins and eat their broccoli by doing the sensible if unexciting thing by drafting an offensive tackle.

Instead, the Rams pulled off a surprise by taking the magnificent Georgia running back Todd Gurley with the 10th overall selection.

Of course there are several reasons to rip or at least seriously question the pick.

1. Gurley is coming off late-November surgery to repair a torn ACL and could miss the early part of the 2015 regular season. He's a real talent, but there's a red-flag aspect to this choice. What if Gurley is out longer than anticipated? What if he doesn't hold up? I guess the snarky thing to say -- as thousands already have -- is that the Rams have drafted a back that Los Angeles fans will love in 2016. But I'm just repeating the joke. I don't endorse it.

2. This is the fifth RB chosen by the Fisher-Snead regime, following Isaiah Pead (50th overall in 2012), Daryl Richardson (No. 252 in 2012), Zac Stacy (No 160 in 2013), and Tre Mason (No. 75 in 2014.) Mason is a nice player with upside, but there isn't a home-run pick in there. So should we trust the regime's ability to judge running backs?

3. Presumably the Rams will line up additional run blockers to give Gurley a chance to break off runs instead of getting beaten up and suffering additional injuries. But until they do ... how much punishment can Gurley absorb behind a suspect O-line? Again, I'd have to think the Rams will reinforce their front line.

4. NFL personnel evaluators have shifted their philosophy on taking RBs early in the first round. In the previous five drafts (2010-2014) only two backs came off the board in the first 10 picks. Buffalo chose C.J. Spiller 9th overall in 2010, and Cleveland went for Trent Richardson at No. 3 in 2012. Spiller has been a good player, with speed that can burn defenses. He's averaged 4.9 yards per carry and made an impact as a receiver. (With one Pro Bowl.) Spiller was a fine pick, but he hasn't reached the superstars level. As for Richardson, he's been a bust so far in his days with Cleveland and Indianapolis.

None of this means it's stupid to draft a back so early. You can go back to 2007 with Adrian Peterson going 7th overall. And though he didn't go in the top 10, Marshawn Lynch was the 12th overall choice in '07. Lynch washed out of Buffalo, but has been a hugely important franchise back with Seattle. But the list of early-first backs includes Cedric Benson (4th in 2005), Cadillac Williams (5th in 2005), and Darren McFadden (4th in 2008.) McFadden is a decent back, still going through eight NFL seasons, but he's only had one 1,000-yard rushing season. And there have been some effective role players taken early, including Reggie Bush (2nd overall in '06.) And also a solid back in Ronnie Brown (No. 2 in 2005.)

NFL teams have become increasingly reluctant to pull a RB off the board when picking a back among the first 10 selections. So it's fair to say that Fisher-Snead are going against the trend here. And the risk factor is increased by Gurley's knee health.

5. Fisher also drafted some RB busts in Tennessee including LenDale White, Chris Henry and Chris Brown. But Fisher also hit it big on a couple of backs, and we'll get to that in a moment.

But here's the thing ...

I don't hate this pick. Not at all. I like it, actually. If you watched Gurley work on autumn Saturdays during his career at Georgia you'll know what I mean. I'll say it: I loved watching Gurley run the football. He was tenacious and explosive and everything in between.

Gurley is really, really good. He's big and strong and fast and has an appetite for contact. He can run through tacklers or elude them. Not a bad receiver, either. Gurley is an exciting player with a chance to become the franchise back that Fisher needs to belatedly assemble a power running game in St. Louis. And a power game that also contains a breakaway element.

A healthy Gurley can be a lot of fun to watch during the coming seasons.

I also believe this: if Fisher is the Rams' head coach, he'll continue to go with the offensive style that he prefers, and a top-quality RB is a big part of that equation. We can't pretend that Fisher is something that he's not. He isn't going to change, not after 19+ seasons as a head coach. Too late.

As coach of the Oilers-Titans, Fisher found his go-to guy in Eddie George, the 14th overall choice in 1996. George was everything that Fisher wanted to make his offense go, and George rushed for 10,441 yards and 68 touchdowns in a career that included four Pro Bowl selections and one All-Pro honor.

George was Fisher's lead back for eight seasons, with special toughness and endurance that was tested to the max by a preposterous 403-carry season in 2000.

Fisher also struck gold in the 2008 draft by picking Chris Johnson 24th overall. The lightning-bolt Johnson had six 1,000-yard seasons including his memorable 2,006-yard haul in 2009.

We don't know if Gurley can be Fisher's new George, or Johnson or a hybrid of the two. But after ranking 19th in the NFL in rushing yards over his first three seasons, the coach has been searching for a RB that can carry his offense. And a healthy and durable version of Gurley has the skill set to be the alpha back.

Again, there's no way to avoid the health-durability question, but Fisher went with his gut and put his faith in Gurley. For better or for worse, Fisher remained true to his roots.

As Jon Gruden said Thursday night on ESPN: "Jeff Fisher, when he's been at his best, they've had a good defense, and they've been able to run the football. Think about the identity of a Jeff Fisher football team. Run the football, play good defense. That will help (new QB) Nick Foles, that will help this offensive line if they can have some success running the football. I love this pick. You can feature (Gurley) every Sunday."

I also like the pick because it's got some sizzle. It wasn't the safest thing to do from a practical standpoint. Fisher could have gone with a lower-risk RB in Wisconson's Melvin Gordon. But obviously the Rams believe that Gurley can be transcendent, so they went all-in on him.

And they also ignored the danger of relying on another surgically repaired knee. Fisher's rebuild in STL was slowed and made more challenging by QB Sam Bradford's two knee injuries, and now Fisher used a Top 10 pick on a back that's coming off ACL surgery.

But in Thursday's column I wrote that I hoped the Rams would do something to help their offense get into the end zone more frequently. And there are a lot of ways to do that, including a powerhouse RB.

Fisher certainly wasn't bashful about going for it. All you can do is hope that Gurley will be sound, and stay sound, and be able to withstand a feature-back workload. If Gurley can endure, he's a true playmaker. And we haven't seen many difference-makers on the Rams offense.

This was a surprise pick that, upon further review, wasn't so stunning after all. This was the third SEC running back chosen by Snead-Fisher in their four drafts in St. Louis.

(This just in: Las Vegas has installed the Rams as the favorite to to win the SEC East in 2015. One other lame joke: the Rams evidently traded Brian Schottenheimer to Georgia for Gurley.)

This latest choice will blow up on the Rams if Gurley's knee blows out again ... but at least now there's a chance to see some entertainment when the Rams have the football.

Big risk ... big talent.

Big gamble ... big potential payoff.

Boom ... or bust.

If you feel like reading more about Gurley and this pick...

Here are a couple of things for you from my favorite football-analysis web site, Pro Football Focus ...

• Here was the instant reaction Pro Football Focus:

"A running back is gone in the first 10 picks, thus ensuring PFF founder Neil Hornsby has ample opportunity to get on his soap box and bemoan the lack of value in the pick. Gurley is obviously coming off an ACL injury, but the wonders of modern medicine and his incredible physical gifts were too much for a Rams team to pass up giving who they at the running back spot right now. His 2014 sample size was relatively small but enough to produce these nuggets. Gurley led the nation with 3.98 yards after contact per attempt against Power-5 competition and also had the highest elusive rating in that regard. He’s a unique talent and despite only carrying the ball 123 times he still had the sixth highest rushing grade of all draft eligible backs."

• And here is Matt Classen's pre-draft assessment of Gurley:

"Gurley is the top back on many people’s draft boards, and understandably so. He is a powerful and explosive runner who fights to finish runs and can create his own yardage. He forced an astounding 37 missed tackles on 117 rushes against Power 5 teams, and never less than six in any of those games. His 3.9 average yards after contact ranked second in the draft class.

"His quickness and top speed are a rare combination with his size and are what makes him unique from other players in the draft. Gurley is powerful enough to run over and through multiple defenders yet can still break away from early anyone on the defense. He had at least a 40-yard run in each of his first four games last season.

"Gurley still has the highest upside of any of the running backs, but the injuries coupled with his physicality are a concern. The recovery road following ACL injuries has come a long way over the years, but nothing is for sure. Will the knee be an issue going forward? Odds are that it probably won’t be, but it should still be at least a small concern and part of the equation when drafting Gurley.

"Signature Stat: On average, Gurley forced a missed tackle once every 3.3 rush attempts, the best rate in the nation."

Thanks for reading ... and please pardon my typos.

- Bernie

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I want to like this pick... I REALLY do... But I don't. Darnit...
Probably the best way I've seen this said. That's cool man. I think a lot of us are lukewarm on the pick at best. But that was a great way to express it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All I can say is, the unexpected is what you usually see when your pants are around your ankles.

What do you eat?

Btw, you should switch to boxers if what you see is unexpected.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I get the pick but don't like the risk. I was relieved to see they gave up on two bad knees in Bradford and Long. I don't see the wisdom in using a first round pick on a guy who already has had a torn ACL.

I am sure that he is better than Mason but with the knee risk the difference is not that great.

I hope that in the future we are not referring to him as Todd Gurley-knee or Todd Gurl-knee

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the future? Like I said, I don't want a goddamned stopgap. I want to actually fix what's been a problem ever since Pace left.

You're completely missing my point. He has a recent ACL tear. Do you expect him to even be ready by Opening Day? I do not.

I don't assume to know when he won't or will be ready. The Rams have medical information. I do not. I'm not Todd's doctor.

Well, you may have to settle for a goddamned stopgap. But there's also the possibility that they grab guys for the future on Days 2 and 3...along with goddamned stopgaps.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well, you may have to settle for a goddamned stopgap. But there's also the possibility that they grab guys for the future on Days 2 and 3...along with goddamned stopgaps.

Not helpful man....not helpful.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Bernie said: "
Presumably the Rams will line up additional run blockers to give Gurley a chance to break off runs instead of getting beaten up and suffering additional injuries. But until they do ... how much punishment can Gurley absorb behind a suspect O-line? Again, I'd have to think the Rams will reinforce their front line."

I agree. And they have 4 months to figure it out....starting with the rest of the draft and that 'second season of free agency' that begins after the draft. There are still some good prospects available and we have the 9th and 40th pick tomorrow.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bernie said: "
Presumably the Rams will line up additional run blockers to give Gurley a chance to break off runs instead of getting beaten up and suffering additional injuries. But until they do ... how much punishment can Gurley absorb behind a suspect O-line? Again, I'd have to think the Rams will reinforce their front line."

I agree. And they have 4 months to figure it out....starting with the rest of the draft and that 'second season of free agency' that begins after the draft. There are still some good prospects available and we have the 9th and 40th pick tomorrow.

Yep. Make a smart pick tomorrow. A smart pick on Day 3. And then bring in a couple of veterans and things aren't that bad. Especially if they can bring in a combination of Barksdale and Blalock/Sims.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think it's hilarious.

Everyone is wanting an offensive player, no defensive line. That's what they do.

Eveyrone is wanting them to not "reach" or believes there is no value for OL @ #10. So they don't pick an OL @ #10.

Most probably wanted to trade down. OK, why would other teams want to trade up if the top if THEY don't see the "value" @ #10.

Many don't want a trade up. OK, they didn't.

OK, so no defense, we'll that's 5 spots off the table. No OL value, another 5 spots. No top WRs. But the best RB is available. They take him.

BOO HISS.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay. Somebody has to ask: Did they clear this pick with JT first? At least give him a personal heads up, so he feels wanted?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's hilarious.

Everyone is wanting an offensive player, no defensive line. That's what they do.

Eveyrone is wanting them to not "reach" or believes there is no value for OL @ #10. So they don't pick an OL @ #10.

Most probably wanted to trade down. OK, why would other teams want to trade up if the top if THEY don't see the "value" @ #10.

Many don't want a trade up. OK, they didn't.

OK, so no defense, we'll that's 5 spots off the table. No OL value, another 5 spots. No top WRs. But the best RB is available. They take him.

BOO HISS.

Yep. That's why I'm not mad. We wanted a top tier talent on offense and we wanted a guy that qualifies as the BPA or BVA (in my case).

That's what we got.

I would have ranked Gurley with Cooper and White hands down if I was unconcerned with the knee. But I don't have access to the medical information. Purely on film, though, he's one of the few blue chip prospects in this class.

I just hope we can find a way to get Clemmings. Coming away with Gurley and Clemmings would be beyond my wildest imagination. That would be an amazing draft. Hell, Cann or Clemmings would be amazing.

beej

Rookie
I'm intrigued. Anxious to see the rest of the plan. And choosing to be optimistic that there actually is a plan.