Why the Browns passed on Josh Rosen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Reminds me of Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater....and someone else???? Hmmm....:thinking:

I’ll play along, Hmmm...:whistle: let’s see, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan and oh yeah, Jared Goff have the same build

Oh by the way, hasn’t Carson Wentz sustained a fairly significant injury THREE CONSECUTIVE SEASONS? And he’s only BEEN a starter (counting college) you guessed it...3 seasons, what the...

Please Champ, rationalize this for me

I speak only facts my man, only facts

Boom, :ROFLMAO::rimshot:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
A lot of guys are down on Rosen right now. Nobody likes a cocky dude that hasn't earned it yet. That is my early take. Though, of course I am open to seeing him differently.

In fairness to Rosen, he is a young dude, and will learn tact, as it applies to making his life better. The big violator here, was Highsmith. He needs to keep his scouting takes closer to the vest. This portion of the story stood out to me:

"I was at an airport," Highsmith said. "UCLA's volleyball team was in front of me. You heard so much about Rosen. He's this or that. We all know how people talk. So I asked one of the volleyball coaches, 'What's Rosen like?' He said, 'Aaaaa, you should probably ask his girlfriend. She's one of the players. She's over there.' I'm like, 'All right coach. That's good enough.'"

At that point, the story abruptly ends with Highsmith making a bizarre observation about Rosen completely based on his encounter with the UCLA coach.

"I don't know what all this means, but there was something about him that bothered me," Highsmith said.

Those are private conversations that he spilled out to someone in public. If I read this, I probably wouldn't talk to Highmith in the future. He is a "leaker", if you will. Not enough discretion these days.

This will all play out. Rosen will succeed or fail based on his talent and efforts. I don't want him to do well against the Rams, but for now, I give him a little grace.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
A lot of guys are down on Rosen right now. Nobody likes a cocky dude that hasn't earned it yet. That is my early take. Though, of course I am open to seeing him differently.

In fairness to Rosen, he is a young dude, and will learn tact, as it applies to making his life better. The big violator here, was Highsmith. He needs to keep his scouting takes closer to the vest. This portion of the story stood out to me:

Those are private conversations that he spilled out to someone in public. If I read this, I probably wouldn't talk to Highmith in the future. He is a "leaker", if you will. Not enough discretion these days.

This will all play out. Rosen will succeed or fail based on his talent and efforts. I don't want him to do well against the Rams, but for now, I give him a little grace.

As a long time Bruin fan I’ll say this about Rosen, he really needs to make better decisions while throwing under pressure, I do not see him as a sure thing... then again I thought Cade McNown was going to be the next Ken Stabler

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I’ll play along, Hmmm...:whistle: let’s see, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan and oh yeah, Jared Goff have the same build

Oh by the way, hasn’t Carson Wentz sustained a fairly significant injury THREE CONSECUTIVE SEASONS? And he’s only BEEN a starter (counting college) you guessed it...3 seasons, what the...

Please Champ, rationalize this for me

I speak only facts my man, only facts

Boom, :ROFLMAO::rimshot:

I remember people being concerned about Goff's frame. They said he was too skinny for the NFL. He'd get broken in half. Some people just have a knack for absorbing hits. Goff got pummeled in college and his rookie season in the NFL. Always got up.

Goff doesn't put his body at risk like Wentz does. Wentz has said he won't alter his playing style. I know Wentz had the better season. Was in the MVP discussion. But what good does that do if you can't play every game? I have to wonder if Wentz won't be one of those talented but injury prone players. While Goff goes on to a nice career being healthy most the time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Its the Browns. Armpit of the NFL for a reason (dumbness).

Be careful!!!

The Browns had more wins than the Rams for the last 15 years until last season was on the books.

There was more than one factory of sadness.

I see Rosen as Cockey and Arrogant. Much like A. Rodgers. Maybe a little tough to hang out with for an extended period, but not something that can ruin a career.

Bad attitudes never hurt a pro athletes career, and many as we know are dickheads.

As long as he can accurately deliver the ball to pass catchers he'll have a career.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oh, and Darnold. Pure millennial, in-titled Delta Bravo. Punk. Rich kid who thinks he knows more than everyone else.

Maybe you should get to know him as a person before you generalize and piss on an entire generation of young people.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@LesBaker my thoughts exactly, every time someone rips the Browns. They now have a very competent GM. I think it is similar to the Rams hiring McVay. Things can turn around very quickly.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It makes it harder because he's a Cardinal, but I'm rooting for Josh Rosen to shut all these douchebag FO and media folks up.

All these negative bullcrap perceptions they have caused is going to ruin the kids career more than the kid himself.

I disagree. If he is good he will rise above the negative words.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It’s difficult to put this into context. Without seeing the eyes or hearing the voice of the volleyball coach.

He could have meant, “ How do I know? Ask his girlfriend”

Or “ I ain’t saying anything because his girlfriend is one of my players”

Or he could have made a gesture or expression that indicated that he wasn’t impressed with Rosen.

There are too many ways that could have gone for anyone to definitively call Highsmith a dumbass.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@LesBaker my thoughts exactly, every time someone rips the Browns. They now have a very competent GM. I think it is similar to the Rams hiring McVay. Things can turn around very quickly.

There is a very good chance that they will. Plenty of picks this year and a 1st, 2nd and two 3's next year.

They have a decent group in the drivers seat. If the a-hole Haslem stays out of the way the Browns could be in for a good run because the Steelers are riding Big Ben and he's aging and the Ravens are in a decline.

The AFCN could see the Browns as division champs in a year or two. If they hit on the QB that's more than half the battle right there.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wonder if Former Browns QB Bernie Kozar had any impute in the selection. He has already stepped up and offered assistance to the Rookie QB!

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
As a long time Bruin fan I’ll say this about Rosen, he really needs to make better decisions while throwing under pressure, I do not see him as a sure thing... then again I thought Cade McNown was going to be the next Ken Stabler

Also a Bruin fan and watched every Rosen game and throw in his career. The teams around him were pretty bad and I think he felt the pressure to carry the team on his shoulders resulting in a lot of forced throws. He was kind of put in positions where he had to take bad chances. The defense couldnt stop anyone and we didnt have a consistent run game at all especially this past season. I mean the defense was second to last in the country versus the run giving up 282 yards rushing per game. Rosen's tendencies to force throws can be fixed in the NFL with good coaching. Its just a hate bandwagon moving along that will eventually fall off a cliff when he succeeds. I hate that hes in our division though. Having watched Cade I think his issue was always arm strength and thats the main reason for his failure (he was really fun to watch at UCLA though). Rosen doesnt have that issue. His arm is at least above average strong and could possibly get stronger with work.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
There are too many ways that could have gone for anyone to definitively call Highsmith a dumbass.

My comment on Highsmith wasn't that he is a dumbass for his judging Rosen to be undesirable. It was for his discretion to disclose this whole "volleyball team summit" thing. Not smart. Keep things closer to the vest. Everyone has to throw up everything these days. Every conversation, every action is on camera in this day, and age.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

In fairness to Rosen, he is a young dude, and will learn tact, as it applies to making his life better. .

The last cocky UCLA QB agrees with you 100%

IMG_4555.JPG

…..

Legend
Rosen may not ruin his career, but then again neither did Cutler.

His legacy will be determined by if he can carry his locker room, be a leader, show respect for those around him.

Cutler didn't ruin his career, but to a man everyone in his locker rooms basically wanted to punch him in the face.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

My comment on Highsmith wasn't that he is a dumbass for his judging Rosen to be undesirable. It was for his discretion to disclose this whole "volleyball team summit" thing. Not smart. Keep things closer to the vest. Everyone has to throw up everything these days. Every conversation, every action is on camera in this day, and age.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
"I thought it was interesting that he didn't talk to my girlfriend," Rosen said. "Maybe he was scared of someone actually saying something good about me?
This is the part I found interesting. Was his girlfriend one of the few, or only one, who had something nice to say about Rosen? Is that why the volley ball coach wouldn't say anything about him, because he didn't have anything good to say about Rosen? Did Rosen know that most of the people who knew him didn't have nice things to say about him, so that's why he wanted people to ask questions to the one person who would say nice things about him? Maybe that's what the volley ball coach was saying in a discreet way.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Rosen may not ruin his career, but then again neither did Cutler.

His legacy will be determined by if he can carry his locker room, be a leader, show respect for those around him.

Cutler didn't ruin his career, but to a man everyone in his locker rooms basically wanted to punch him in the face.

IMO a players "legacy" is based almost completely on their performance. I would say that there are a few things on the periphery that get noticed, but the huge portion is the performance.

Everyone knows Micheal Jordan was/is a dick and was considered not that great of a team mate unless you kissed his ass and did what he told you to do. If you ever saw his HOF induction speech you get a glimpse into his personality. It was horrible.

Yes Cutler was a dbag, but if he had a career like Brady or Rodgers or 85% of that nobody would care.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the part I found interesting. Was his girlfriend one of the few, or only one, who had something nice to say about Rosen? Is that why the volley ball coach wouldn't say anything about him, because he didn't have anything good to say about Rosen? Did Rosen know that most of the people who knew him didn't have nice things to say about him, so that's why he wanted people to ask questions to the one person who would say nice things about him? Maybe that's what the volley ball coach was saying in a discreet way.

Or it could be that the volleyball coach didn't really know Rosen, and felt that it would be bad for his team's cohesiveness if he spouted off about one of his players' boyfriend in a way that might have cost him millions, even if nothing bad was actually intended.

I'm sorry, if this was the sort of investigation they did on Rosen, yet failed to find bad stuff about Baker, then that's pathetic. Mayfield does not have a sterling reputation around campus, or so I've been told by OU students.

…..

Legend
IMO a players "legacy" is based almost completely on their performance. I would say that there are a few things on the periphery that get noticed, but the huge portion is the performance.

Everyone knows Micheal Jordan was/is a dick and was considered not that great of a team mate unless you kissed his ass and did what he told you to do. If you ever saw his HOF induction speech you get a glimpse into his personality. It was horrible.

Yes Cutler was a dbag, but if he had a career like Brady or Rodgers or 85% of that nobody would care.

Yes I agree. You CAN outplay your douchebaggery.