Why the Browns passed on Josh Rosen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...of-browns-exec-who-met-uclas-volleyball-team/

Josh Rosen adds twist to bizarre story of Browns exec who met UCLA's volleyball team
This bizarre story keeps getting better and better
19h ago

One of the most bizarre stories that came out after the NFL Draft came last week when Browns executive Alonzo Highsmith was asked about the top quarterbacks in the draft.

During an interview with the Canton Repository, Highsmith had some very reasonable explanations for why he liked certain quarterbacks and why he didn't really care for a few other ones. For instance, Highsmith was high on Baker Mayfield because the former Oklahoma quarterback lost two receivers in 2017 and was still productive. That makes sense.

Highsmith also admitted that he wasn't a big fan of Josh Allen due to the quarterback's inaccuracy. Since completing passes is 75 percent of a quarterback's job, it makes sense that Highsmith didn't want the Browns to take Allen.

And now, here's where things bizarre.

When the topic of Josh Rosen came up, Highsmith hinted that Rosen dropped on his board because of a strange encounter that the Browns executive had with the UCLA volleyball team.

"I was at an airport," Highsmith said. "UCLA's volleyball team was in front of me. You heard so much about Rosen. He's this or that. We all know how people talk. So I asked one of the volleyball coaches, 'What's Rosen like?' He said, 'Aaaaa, you should probably ask his girlfriend. She's one of the players. She's over there.' I'm like, 'All right coach. That's good enough.'"

At that point, the story abruptly ends with Highsmith making a bizarre observation about Rosen completely based on his encounter with the UCLA coach.

"I don't know what all this means, but there was something about him that bothered me," Highsmith said.

So what exactly happened at the airport?

Well, for one, we now know that Highsmith didn't take the volleyball coach's advice and speak to Rosen's girlfriend. During an interview on The Rich Eisen Show this week, Rosen revealed a twist to the story: Highsmith didn't try to get a single detail about Rosen from the quarterback's significant other.

"I thought it was interesting that he didn't talk to my girlfriend," Rosen said. "Maybe he was scared of someone actually saying something good about me? I don't know, I thought it was funny."

Also, Rosen was just as befuddled as everyone else by the entire situation.

"It's amazing that you can pull a red flag from something with literally zero information," Rosen said. "Like, he literally pulled absolutely no information from his encounter and it managed to be a red flag."

With that last quote, Rosen might have just described the entire NFL Draftprocess in a nutshell: No one knows anything and something that means nothing can be a red flag. If a chance meeting with a college volleyball team at an airport can hurt a player's stock, then anything can.

The good news for Rosen is that things actually ended up working out pretty well for him in the draft. After the Browns, Jets and Bills all passed on him, the Cardinals traded up to grab him with the 10th overall pick.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Well that kind of vetting explains why so many of their picks haven't worked out.

Ram65

Legend
"I was at an airport," Highsmith said. "UCLA's volleyball team was in front of me. You heard so much about Rosen. He's this or that. We all know how people talk. So I asked one of the volleyball coaches, 'What's Rosen like?' He said, 'Aaaaa, you should probably ask his girlfriend. She's one of the players. She's over there.' I'm like, 'All right coach. That's good enough

Well, for one, we now know that Highsmith didn't take the volleyball coach's advice and speak to Rosen's girlfriend. During an interview on The Rich Eisen Show this week, Rosen revealed a twist to the story: Highsmith didn't try to get a single detail about Rosen from the quarterback's significant other.

"I thought it was interesting that he didn't talk to my girlfriend," Rosen said. "Maybe he was scared of someone actually saying something good about me? I don't know, I thought it was funny."

Thanks that a very interesting story.

All we can do is speculate. Someone that has done evaluations should have a better idea Highsmith's take on this.

I'm thinking because the Volleyball coach didn't volunteer answers like he is a great guy or nice kid it was a negative. Highsmith took it as the coach didn't want to say what he really was thinking so go talk to his girlfriend. Without hearing the tone and inflection of the coach it's hard to tell what he was thinking. Even then it still not definitive. Someone should ask the coach questions about his answer. Could be the coach didn't interact with Rosen and didn't have an opinion.

I don't know what you get from talking to his girl friend. I guess you could see the reaction of the other girls. Getting all involved.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I understand why the Browns passed on Josh Rosen, what I want to know is why they passed on Sam Darnold. Now their GM John Dorsey could be right and I applaud Dorsey sticking to his guns and drafting his guy in Baker Mayfield and there are many others who love Mayfield like @Dieter the Brock for example. Rosen is much like Sam Bradford with an abrasive personalty.

Rosen is built like a tennis player, long, lean and the concern for him will be durability. I don't question his love for the game, sometime that is overstated. The Cardinals made a good move because they needed to, however, the Cleveland Browns rumored had it came down to Mayfield & Josh Allen and if that was the choices, the Browns made the right decision.

As to Rosen, he'll need a good offensive line and an Offensive Coordinator that coaches him to get the ball out quick. The irony of this thread is a couple years ago Doug Gotlieb actually said on his show that Josh Rosen was better than Jared Goff & Carson Wentz, I remember him saying it, so you just truly never know how a Quarterback is going to work out.

The Cleveland Browns will have a new Head Coach next year IMO, not sure who it will be. If the Green Bay Packers struggle again this year, it will be Mike McCarthy, if not, look for John DeFilippo to replace Hue Jackson in Cleveland.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I understand why the Browns passed on Josh Rosen, what I want to know is why they passed on Sam Darnold. Now their GM John Dorsey could be right and I applaud Dorsey sticking to his guns and drafting his guy in Baker Mayfield and there are many others who love Mayfield like @Dieter the Brock for example. Rosen is much like Sam Bradford with an abrasive personalty.

Rosen is built like a tennis player, long, lean and the concern for him will be durability. I don't question his love for the game, sometime that is overstated. The Cardinals made a good move because they needed to, however, the Cleveland Browns rumored had it came down to Mayfield & Josh Allen and if that was the choices, the Browns made the right decision.

As to Rosen, he'll need a good offensive line and an Offensive Coordinator that coaches him to get the ball out quick. The irony of this thread is a couple years ago Doug Gotlieb actually said on his show that Josh Rosen was better than Jared Goff & Carson Wentz, I remember him saying it, so you just truly never know how a Quarterback is going to work out.

The Cleveland Browns will have a new Head Coach next year IMO, not sure who it will be. If the Green Bay Packers struggle again this year, it will be Mike McCarthy, if not, look for John DeFilippo to replace Hue Jackson in Cleveland.

Got your Dieter's mixed up - @dieterbrock is the Mayfield fan! (i blame Ram stalk for any confusion )

I'm with you though Den - what made them pass on Darnold? Did they happen to bump into the USC water polo team? Why did they pass on Wentz? Did someone talk to thr ND state ice fishing squad?

Hilarious

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Got your Dieter's mixed up - @dieterbrock is the Mayfield fan! (i blame Ram stalk for any confusion )

I'm with you though Den - what made them pass on Darnold? Did they happen to bump into the USC water polo team? Why did they pass on Wentz? Did someone talk to thr ND state ice fishing squad?

Hilarious

My apologies good sir, @dieterbrock is the Mayfield Fan, not a bad contingent for a Quarterback that only played one year....Hue Jackson loved Goff, that was his guy and the Rams moved in front of him. Again passing on Wentz, will be the reason that Jackson will be fired, however, I expect their next Head Coach to keep Gregg Williams as the DC.

…..

Legend
He didn't need any more info. Rosen has a gunslinger mentality and reminds me of Jay Cutler. I expect 20 interceptions a year with the occasional amazing game.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He didn't need any more info. Rosen has a gunslinger mentality and reminds me of Jay Cutler..

The irony is Jay Cutler should have been a Ram. New Head Coach Scott "Milquetoast." Linehan loved Cutler and coveted him, however, Linehan was not comfortable in his own skin and was bullied by Defensive Coordinator JIm Haslett who wanted the incredible shrinking cheap sweater in Tye Hill from Clemson, so the Rams traded back and selected Hill, who I felt strongly would be a bust from the outset because after the draft, Hill talked about being an All Pro before he ever played a down of Professional football, what a joke.

Anyway the fact the Rams passed on the likes of Mike Zimmer & Ron Rivera to hire a putz like Linehan just underscored the ceaselessness of the likes of John Shaw & Jay Zgymunt over the years as I digress.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Thanks that a very interesting story.

All we can do is speculate. Someone that has done evaluations should have a better idea Highsmith's take on this.

I'm thinking because the Volleyball coach didn't volunteer answers like he is a great guy or nice kid it was a negative. Highsmith took it as the coach didn't want to say what he really was thinking so go talk to his girlfriend. Without hearing the tone and inflection of the coach it's hard to tell what he was thinking. Even then it still not definitive. Someone should ask the coach questions about his answer. Could be the coach didn't interact with Rosen and didn't have an opinion.

I don't know what you get from talking to his girl friend. I guess you could see the reaction of the other girls. Getting all involved.

Your absolutely correct. I was thinking about the variables you mention and came to the conclusion that, as you say, they were not definitive, and that's why I don't agree with their dropping him down their board based on this encounter.

He should've asked the coach a followup question and made it more conversational so the coach would open up.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It makes it harder because he's a Cardinal, but I'm rooting for Josh Rosen to shut all these douchebag FO and media folks up.

All these negative bullshit perceptions they have caused is going to ruin the kids career more than the kid himself.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Hilarious
Well to be accurate, I am a fan of both Mayfield and Rosen. They were 1-2 in my book.
Darnold? Not sold at all. Not a fan of qb who regress from 1 year to the next. I’d much prefer to see a player’s ascension.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm thinking because the Volleyball coach didn't volunteer answers like he is a great guy or nice kid it was a negative.
EExactly.....I was listening to the dude who does Cowherd's show...Ex Ok. St. point guard....new his dad....He said colleges usually say great things about an alumnus, even if they really don't know them....I get that...he didn't have anything good to say...and Highsmith took it as a negative....I like Alonzo H. coming out of college...huge RB....decent career... I think he made a huge mistake..
Rosen is built like a tennis player, long, lean and the concern for him will be durability.
Reminds me of Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater....and someone else???? Hmmm....:thinking:
Rosen has a gunslinger mentality and reminds me of Jay Cutler.
Recently heard Jay Cutler never loved the game....last guy in the building....first to leave....loved what being a QB brought to him...:redcard:
The irony is Jay Cutler should have been a Ram. New Head Coach Scott "Milquetoast." :puke:Linehan loved Cutler and coveted him
See quote above....
Not a fan of qb who regress from 1 year to the next.
USC had some HUGE talent losses on offense...linemen...and skill positions...but I feel ya....
But trust this....Darnold is a beast....something about that kids demeanor you gotta love.:yess:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...of-browns-exec-who-met-uclas-volleyball-team/

Josh Rosen adds twist to bizarre story of Browns exec who met UCLA's volleyball team
This bizarre story keeps getting better and better
19h ago

One of the most bizarre stories that came out after the NFL Draft came last week when Browns executive Alonzo Highsmith was asked about the top quarterbacks in the draft.

During an interview with the Canton Repository, Highsmith had some very reasonable explanations for why he liked certain quarterbacks and why he didn't really care for a few other ones. For instance, Highsmith was high on Baker Mayfield because the former Oklahoma quarterback lost two receivers in 2017 and was still productive. That makes sense.

Highsmith also admitted that he wasn't a big fan of Josh Allen due to the quarterback's inaccuracy. Since completing passes is 75 percent of a quarterback's job, it makes sense that Highsmith didn't want the Browns to take Allen.

And now, here's where things bizarre.

When the topic of Josh Rosen came up, Highsmith hinted that Rosen dropped on his board because of a strange encounter that the Browns executive had with the UCLA volleyball team.

"I was at an airport," Highsmith said. "UCLA's volleyball team was in front of me. You heard so much about Rosen. He's this or that. We all know how people talk. So I asked one of the volleyball coaches, 'What's Rosen like?' He said, 'Aaaaa, you should probably ask his girlfriend. She's one of the players. She's over there.' I'm like, 'All right coach. That's good enough.'"

At that point, the story abruptly ends with Highsmith making a bizarre observation about Rosen completely based on his encounter with the UCLA coach.

"I don't know what all this means, but there was something about him that bothered me," Highsmith said.

So what exactly happened at the airport?

Also, Rosen was just as befuddled as everyone else by the entire situation.

"It's amazing that you can pull a red flag from something with literally zero information," Rosen said. "Like, he literally pulled absolutely no information from his encounter and it managed to be a red flag."

With that last quote, Rosen might have just described the entire NFL Draftprocess in a nutshell: No one knows anything and something that means nothing can be a red flag. If a chance meeting with a college volleyball team at an airport can hurt a player's stock, then anything can.

The good news for Rosen is that things actually ended up working out pretty well for him in the draft. After the Browns, Jets and Bills all passed on him, the Cardinals traded up to grab him with the 10th overall pick.
Interesting story. I actually believe it.
This whole agenda that Rosen is a head case seems to be so overblown.
Rosen is a great football player. He is not a hardened criminal.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He whiffed on this, even though I think there is a chance he gets this point.

The coach wouldn't say anything about Rosen. It's called reading between the lines. Rather than tell him the negative stuff he had probably already heard he declined to comment.

They drafted a midget. To play CB. In the NFCW.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He whiffed on this, even though I think there is a chance he gets this point.

The coach wouldn't say anything about Rosen. It's called reading between the lines. Rather than tell him the negative stuff he had probably already heard he declined to comment.

I'm not cinvinced about this being a case of reading between the lines.
Not when talking about a football players relationship to a women's volleyball coach.
Rosen didnt play women's volleyball and more than likely didnt have a relationship with that coach at all.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I dunno... I get the feeling Rosen is a skinny Ryan Leaf in the making. Though I thought the Mayfield pick was a head scratcher (oh wait.... BROWNS), I don’t blame him for not taking Rosen if he got the feeling that a UCLA coach didn’t want to get into a conversation about him possibly for fear that he might not be able to give Dorsey a glowing account of the kid.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Its the Browns. Armpit of the NFL for a reason (dumbness). I hope Rosen tears them up when he gets his chance.
They would have been far better off taking the running back then the best QB left at 4.
This whole bunch, GM and head coach will be fired in 3 years.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

One of those scenarios, you knew your team was doomed from the outset. Zygmunt as GM everyone knew would end in disaster. Scott Linehan's press conference proved to be more of a natural sleep aid than Melatonin and DC JIm Haslett began his decent into football abyss, where, he had to reinvent himself as the Head Coach of the now defunct Florida Tuskers.
5de369536237eee86b69461adef4f1ad--ice-logo-logo-desing.jpg

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Oh, and Darnold. Pure millennial, in-titled Delta Bravo. Punk. Rich kid who thinks he knows more than everyone else.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I dunno... I get the feeling Rosen is a skinny Ryan Leaf in the making. Though I thought the Mayfield pick was a head scratcher (oh wait.... BROWNS), I don’t blame him for not taking Rosen if he got the feeling that a UCLA coach didn’t want to get into a conversation about him possibly for fear that he might not be able to give Dorsey a glowing account of the kid.
Ryan Leaf was incredibly immature. (Hes actually got his life together, and has been very open about his struggles when he was younger.)
I see Rosen as Cockey and Arrogant. Much like A. Rodgers. Maybe a little tough to hang out with for an extended period, but not something that can ruin a career.