Who will be the Rams' BIG FA addition?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who will be the Rams' biggest FA acquisition?

• WR Jeffery

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • LB Hightower

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • CB Bouye

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • CB Gilmore

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • OG Zeitler

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • WR Pryor

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • WR Jackson

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • OG Lang

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • LB Perry

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • OT Whitworth

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Brian Schwenke

Schwenke was forced into action from Weeks 7 to 10 and performed admirably. A traditional center, Schwenke was deployed as a left guard and more than held his own. The running game kept on chugging along, and the Titans offense put up a ridiculous amount of points during that span. He also didn’t commit a single penalty all year. He’s proven to be a very capable guard and center, and is needed for insurance in case Jones or Spain/Kline go down at any point.

Grade: B
And yeah, he's playing center for us....

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If we sign Tru I don't see us doing anything big at any position other than Receiver. Otherwise probably more second and third level free agents. Still could be very helpful additions. The reason is, free agency starts before the coaching staff get face to face with the players and see what problems are coachable and which ones aren't. Also signing Donald is paramount.

Now that I have cooled off from the disappointment of the 2016 season, I remember we were pretty competitive in 2015. The Oline opened some good holes for Gurley and QB was the position that held us back. The team regressed last year and the move probably had a lot to do with it. I think the coaching staff and front office will want to use 2017 to fully evaluate what they have. I know most of you would like big sweeping changes, but as a Field Service Engineer, when I am trouble shooting something, I don't like to change more than one thing at a time. Tends to muddy the waters and waste time and money. We already made a big change and I think we all agree that it was the root of the problem. If the staff coaches everybody up and the players have the bounce back year I think they will have, we could be sniffing wild card. If not at least by the end of next season the front office can make smarter decisions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Garcon

As much as I would LOVE Zeitler, it makes no sense to tie up that type of money in a position that could be filled by an early to mid round prospect in such a deep draft. We could even see one of our own take a big leap under Kromer's guidance.

I think it makes enormous sense actually. Zeitler would add far more to this young OL than any draft pick they could get tbh. The line has young talent, and needs a pro to come in and show them how it's done. Either him or Lang would have enormous impact on our line and the offense as a whole. That's not to say the Rams will be able to attract those FAs of course. It's gonna be rough, because Zeitler and Lang will be snapped up fast.

But you also have to consider relative positional strength in this draft. Round 2, where we have our first pick, the CB position will almost surely have mid to late round 1 value. DE will also be very strong. I honestly doubt you could take an OL there without reaching. TE might be there, hard to say, but I am certain CB will be.

Round 3 and 4 is where you'll see the interior OL value start being moreso on par. So if I were the GM I'd be looking Center somewhere in that range after I get my CB or top value guy in round 2.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Josh Gordon News:

"Suspended WR Josh Gordon will apply for reinstatement on Wednesday."

Adam Schefter
2 hrs·
Facebook Mentions
·
This is what Josh Gordon's business manager Michael Johnson said about client and decision to apply for reinstatement: "Josh is living with me and is in the best place mentally that he has been in dating back years before entering the NFL. He has taken the proper steps to treat his issues and has followed a very strict protocol that the league and our team here has laid out for him. He's also in the best shape of his life and feels even better than he did when he had his breakout year in 2013. This will be a special year for Josh and we are all very proud of the way he has taken the necessary steps to turn his life around."

I don't care what the self-appointed NFL/Josh Gordon gurus think (even though he's one of my favorite players and I know more history about him than pretty much anyone here), he's coming back, not with the Browns, but with a new team at a low cost/high reward type of scenario. The League was set to welcome him back last year, instead he made the personal and mature decision to step away and get himself treatment. Now that he's jumped through the hoops to better himself and put himself in a better standing with the league, he's in a MUCH better position to come in and stay in the NFL.

Teams are already starting to show interest.

BOOM.

McVay has to look at all of his options, if he can pick up Gordon at a very cheap cost with performance incentives, this could very well work and be a blessing to our team. If not, we've protected ourselves via the contract we set up.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I think it makes enormous sense actually. Zeitler would add far more to this young OL than any draft pick they could get tbh. The line has young talent, and needs a pro to come in and show them how it's done. Either him or Lang would have enormous impact on our line and the offense as a whole. That's not to say the Rams will be able to attract those FAs of course. It's gonna be rough, because Zeitler and Lang will be snapped up fast.

But you also have to consider relative positional strength in this draft. Round 2, where we have our first pick, the CB position will almost surely have mid to late round 1 value. DE will also be very strong. I honestly doubt you could take an OL there without reaching. TE might be there, hard to say, but I am certain CB will be.

Round 3 and 4 is where you'll see the interior OL value start being moreso on par. So if I were the GM I'd be looking Center somewhere in that range after I get my CB or top value guy in round 2.

I agree with you on the notion that he would bring more to our team than just pro bowl talent, however, with a coach in Kromer we can afford to invest in cheaper options that don't tie up our precious cap space. Don't get me wrong tho, our number one priority should be protecting Goff and providing him playmakers this off-season so if we land Zeitler I would be freaken thrilled!

Watching a lot of highlights late last night, I agree the cb class is strong and deep into the draft and so a guy like Lewis from Michigan in round 2 or OLB Reddick from Temple would be fantastic. Even Everett may be available. For me tho if Lamp, Jordan, Reddick, and Everett are there in round 2 (STRONGLY improbable), I then consider our areas of weakness and tab Lamp first then Jordan.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But you also have to consider relative positional strength in this draft. Round 2, where we have our first pick, the CB position will almost surely have mid to late round 1 value. DE will also be very strong. I honestly doubt you could take an OL there without reaching.
If Bolles is there....Run up to the podium....If he's still available on day two, trade ahead of everyone and grab him with 33....
But I'm also sure...positive...that a couple of really good corners should be available...If not, then a OLB/Edge rusher, WR, or my favorite LB in the draft HAVE to be there.....This is an incredibly deep draft.

BOOM.

McVay has to look at all of his options, if he can pick up Gordon at a very cheap cost with performance incentives, this could very well work and be a blessing to our team.
Great news....if I could sign any FA wr....Terrell Pryor or Josh Gordon would be my first choices....And of course there is a bunch of fine print in his contract....LOLOLOLOLOL

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Andrew Whitworth - T - Bengals
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Bengals will re-sign free agent LT Andrew Whitworth.

Beat reporter Paul Dehner suggests it's already a done deal. Whitworth is the best tackle available this offseason but it sounds like the Bengals will keep him from hitting the market. Re-signing Whitworth means free agent RG Kevin Zeitler likely won't be back.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Josh Gordon News:

"Suspended WR Josh Gordon will apply for reinstatement on Wednesday."

Adam Schefter
2 hrs·
Facebook Mentions
·
This is what Josh Gordon's business manager Michael Johnson said about client and decision to apply for reinstatement: "Josh is living with me and is in the best place mentally that he has been in dating back years before entering the NFL. He has taken the proper steps to treat his issues and has followed a very strict protocol that the league and our team here has laid out for him. He's also in the best shape of his life and feels even better than he did when he had his breakout year in 2013. This will be a special year for Josh and we are all very proud of the way he has taken the necessary steps to turn his life around."

I don't care what the self-appointed NFL/Josh Gordon gurus think (even though he's one of my favorite players and I know more history about him than pretty much anyone here), he's coming back, not with the Browns, but with a new team at a low cost/high reward type of scenario. The League was set to welcome him back last year, instead he made the personal and mature decision to step away and get himself treatment. Now that he's jumped through the hoops to better himself and put himself in a better standing with the league, he's in a MUCH better position to come in and stay in the NFL.

Teams are already starting to show interest.

BOOM.

McVay has to look at all of his options, if he can pick up Gordon at a very cheap cost with performance incentives, this could very well work and be a blessing to our team. If not, we've protected ourselves via the contract we set up.
When asked about how rehab was going, Gordon responded:
black-and-white-gif-high-joint-marijuana-Favim.com-294375.gif

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Just fell in love with Lamp watching Combine. He looks too good to fall to us. I refuse to get my hopes we get our Center for 10 years like we have had 3 10 year centers in our past history. In Blue and White uniforms our best players besides the fearsome Foursome was always seeing RAMS helmets in the Pro Bowl when they actually played hard in that game. Now it's a joke. To see three RAMS helmets on the O-LINE in the Pro Bowl became common place. Lets Do It Again in White Horns. LAMP seperated himself today. Most likely ending up with a CB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope it's Kevin Zeitler. But I think it'll be one of DeSean Jackson or Pierre Garcon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just fell in love with Lamp watching Combine. He looks too good to fall to us. I refuse to get my hopes we get our Center for 10 years like we have had 3 10 year centers in our past history. In Blue and White uniforms our best players besides the fearsome Foursome was always seeing RAMS helmets in the Pro Bowl when they actually played hard in that game. Now it's a joke. To see three RAMS helmets on the O-LINE in the Pro Bowl became common place. Lets Do It Again in White Horns. LAMP seperated himself today. Most likely ending up with a CB.

I just don't think NFL teams are dumb enough to let Lamp fall out of Round 1. He has Round 1 film, he played like a 1st rounder at the Senior Bowl, and now he posted 1st round numbers at the Combine.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I just don't think NFL teams are dumb enough to let Lamp fall out of Round 1. He has Round 1 film, he played like a 1st rounder at the Senior Bowl, and now he posted 1st round numbers at the Combine.

I'm gonna have to study CB's ,LB's & WR's that may fall to us. The OL group this year is not deep in the Elite area at all. Not at all to say there are not great depth in coachable starters down the road. Hope our scouts find us some diamonds in the rough like I felt like Jamon Brown and Wichman were gonna be.

I want BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE no matter what position when we pick. Just so happy Fisher is NOT in the room this season. Maybe Snead can do even better without the input of the mustache who was too set in his ways of drafting. I can name 5 major Fisher drafting rules we can now bury in the backyard. I feel free to BE GREAT AGAIN. Glad the draft is deep in CB's and LB's this season. We need to beef those area's up although we don't even really know what we have yet in players who were not given a chance to shine under different coaching rules that are in today's NFL ERA.

You just Have to get excited to move past certain things we were always gonna be LOCKED into due to the HC limiting players because it did not follow his personal rules. The sky is the limit now that we dropped the chains that limited us in so many area's . Everyone here just got use to the HC's way of doing things and how OUR TEAM would end up adapting to it in stead of a new Modern day way of seeing and doing things. Maybe our yearly injury pestilence will dissapear. All the rookie's can't start rules and old fashion thinking we all had to try and believe might work one more time. I kinda feel Garcon may be a bridge guy and some lower tier OL in our mix without the MUST rule Fisher had that we don't carry an OL that can't play just one position awesomely and not play 3 spots half arse. I feel like I hear chains dropping. :pillowfight:

Bruce2980

Starter
I wish there was a choice for None of the Above. IMO, it's going to be a tough sell to get a top FA to LA. A down team, in a far below average stadium for the next two years, with sub-par training facilities, with a tax rate 10-14% higher than most of the country are not exactly big selling points. The twinkling, dazzling lights will only get you so far. I think we'll get lower level FA's, but not too hopeful for much more. We'll see soon.
Maybe Fisher has a lead on some guys to send our way.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don't think you guys have allowed it to sink in, just yet,

We've already HAD our big FA signing for the offseason. His name is Trumaine Johnson. And for only $16.7 million for a whole 12 months!

Get used to it.

I'm still hopeful for a Garcon type WR signing. Beyond that, it looks like maybe a couple of 2nd tier FA's that might be able to start somewhere along that OL and maybe at LB.

We need to really hit on our draft picks now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

We've already HAD our big FA signing for the offseason. His name is Trumaine Johnson. And for only $16.7 million for a whole 12 months!

Get used to it.

tdy_tren_downer_131001.jpg

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Get used to it.

I'm still hopeful for a Garcon type WR signing. Beyond that, it looks like maybe a couple of 2nd tier FA's that might be able to start somewhere along that OL and maybe at LB.

We need to really hit on our draft picks now.

Honestly, I've become a bit numb towards the 2017 Rams season based on the TruJo franchise hit. If we were one player away from greatness, I might be OK with it, but the Rams have so many holes and depth problems, it feels like a poor move for a 4-12 team to tie up 43.5% of your payroll in 6 of 53 players, ... all defensive players except for one. His CAP hit alone could have provided up to three 2'nd tier free agents, or one top tier and one 2'nd tier. The CB position group is one of the best of the 2017 draft. Spotrac has us now listed with under $20.mil in available CAP, and we still have a draft class that needs to be signed.
I agree with Rams43, we have already paid for that so-called 'big' season free agent, and then some, ... he must be laughing all the way to the bank. With Britt & Quick gone, we can't afford to let one of the better WR's on the market slip away from us, and it is a must that we get one of them out of free agency, relying on a rookie draft pick just sets Goff back that much further. Outside of that, a couple 3'rd tier guys are likely added, and that's about that. Unless we CAP cut some vets or come up with a creative trade which is CAP friendly, it looks as if we are carrying on with Fisher's 'build thru the draft' philosophy, and for long suffering Rams fans, 2017 doesn't necessarily appear to be our turn-around year. Better coaching will make a big difference, but I have to feel without substantial upgrades to our roster, our new coaching staff will be hard-pressed to get us beyond an 8 - 8 season, although even that may be a breath of fresh air considering our enduring the previous 3 coaching staffs & personnel. jmo.