Who Will Be Next Rams Starting Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Speaking of Creed there is an Athletic article up that goes on about his smarts and grasp of scheme. You know how the Rams covet the smart ones.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am going to guess Anchrum.

Anyone know of some depth buried on another team we might trade for? At the same time, someone else’s depth doesn’t feel like upgrading.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was thinking this morning...

Normally we have drafted for the future - in that case, drafting a few OL, CB, ILB would make sense.

But next year is unique in two ways:

First, we already have 7 draft picks despite the flurry of past trades - we will likely get the max for comp picks, which means we will have 10 draft picks.

Secondly, there is likely to be a big cap spike, especially if fans return to the stands - current estimates I've seen are $220 million - which would give us roughly $30 million in space assuming Whit retires.

So - next year we might lose Whit, Corbett and Williams - or we can use our money to retain Corbett and Williams.

Either way - this puts the Rams in an interesting position:

If you truly want to go all in on this season, you do have some insurance in the form of cap space and draft picks next year. While fans have varying opinions on what constitutes a need, there are two upgrades that could make us the best team in the NFL:

A good Center and a good three down ILB.

Brockers replacement? We have great run defenders everywhere on defense. EDGE opposite Floyd? Ebukam did nothing so we're bringing back everyone except Fox in terms of pass rushing ability. CB? We have two studs - can sign a cheap slot CB or roll with Burgess/Long.

But C and ILB are the two weakest starting positions on our team.

So I'm wondering if a big trade up is in our future - it would go against what we've normally done, but I think because of the unique circumstances around next off-season, we could see it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
So I'm wondering if a big trade up is in our future - it would go against what we've normally done, but I think because of the unique circumstances around next off-season, we could see it.

What assets (players / capital) do you think the Rams could offer in a big trade up?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Speaking of Creed there is an Athletic article up that goes on about his smarts and grasp of scheme. You know how the Rams covet the smart ones.

The same was said about Anchrum. 18 going on 28. Football smart. I hope he gets a good shot at winning a starting spot. At the least I’d like to see him in preseason, to see what he’s got going. He lost a year of development inside, covering as a tackle backup for Brewer.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The same was said about Anchrum. 18 going on 28. Football smart. I hope he gets a good shot at winning a starting spot. At the least I’d like to see him in preseason, to see what he’s got going. He lost a year of development inside, covering as a tackle backup for Brewer.
Anchrum's build is more for the inside, yet We keep hearing Snead refer to his ability to play OT. yeah, he played there at Clemson, but his height and arms really say OC. Would be nice to see if they can't convert him. He does have the tenacity that the OC position takes.

Shuie3225

Starter
If we stay at 57 waiting to draft "our guy" at center, we'll get fucked because someone will move ahead of us for a center 100%. You can't enter a draft where everyone picking around you knows exactly what you're going to do. Its idiocy. So if we want to ensure we get our guy we'll likely have to move up in the 2nd which will cost us a 3rd rounder. Which is also terrible. It's a shitty situation to be in, but we made our bed.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If we stay at 57 waiting to draft "our guy" at center, we'll get fucked because someone will move ahead of us for a center 100%. You can't enter a draft where everyone picking around you knows exactly what you're going to do. Its idiocy. So if we want to ensure we get our guy we'll likely have to move up in the 2nd which will cost us a 3rd rounder. Which is also terrible. It's a shitty situation to be in, but we made our bed.
You may be correct but you seem to be assuming a lot. You assume the Rams screwed-up but you can’t know that. None of us can.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was trying to understand Frank’s trade-up comment because I don’t believe the Rams have the assets for a significant trade-up.

agree - just wondering who The Rams would take. I’m in the minority on team needs.
Last season The Rams had 2 FA offensive lineman in Blythe & Whitworth.The Rams signed Whitworth to a multi year deal.Austin Blythe to only a 1 year deal(correct?) which showed imo that he was yet again a stop gap player.
As Ram Fans we get caught up in drama & hear say about players.I’m just guessing on what The Rams thoughts are. I’m also judging an opinion on players needs.
I guess I’ll ask you your thought ?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I can see this forum go nuts if that first pick isn't a center. Can't rule it out since the Rams don't seem to be ultra concerned about the position. I'm with everyone on wanting to try to solidify the position first. My guess is however the draft unfolds will predicate what position we pick first. Stay tuned as we never know what the Rams are necessarily thinking.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
agree - just wondering who The Rams would take. I’m in the minority on team needs.
Last season The Rams had 2 FA offensive lineman in Blythe & Whitworth.The Rams signed Whitworth to a multi year deal.Austin Blythe to only a 1 year deal(correct?) which showed imo that he was yet again a stop gap player.
As Ram Fans we get caught up in drama & hear say about players.I’m just guessing on what The Rams thoughts are. I’m also judging an opinion on players needs.
I guess I’ll ask you your thought ?
Not sure. Have no strong opinions.

Thought Blythe was better than many on the Board but also thought he was limited. Particularly susceptible to power rush in pass pro but also thought that weakness was highlighted by Goff’s lack of mobility and limited pocket awareness.

Have no idea what the Rams think of in-house candidates like Shelton, Allen and Corbett. Got my fingers crossed on Anchrum but view him as a guard.

Not sure whether any of the remaining free agent centers are viewed by the Rams as comparable to Blythe. Thinking players like Austin Reiter and Russell Bodine.

Finally, don’t know what the Rams think of the draft prospects. Meinerz and Humphrey get a ton of attention on the Board but maybe the Rams see something in other prospects that they are comfortable will be available.

Finally, and this is the most important point, whatever the Rams think right now about the center position, I just HOPE they are correct.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Anchrum's build is more for the inside, yet We keep hearing Snead refer to his ability to play OT. yeah, he played there at Clemson, but his height and arms really say OC. Would be nice to see if they can't convert him. He does have the tenacity that the OC position takes.
Yes his height certainly screams center but......

I certainly have no issues with this plan of having TA gets some practice @ OC. I would prefer that TA finally get some HD action @ both the Interior OG post first. TA seemed to have spent his rookie season involved more with the LT post than any other due to Noteboom starting @ OG then getting hurt then Whitworth getting injured & Noteboom starting @ LT & so on.

That's a fur distance from the OC post. TA does have 33.6 inch extra long arms for a fire hydrant under 6-2. He also has an 80.5-inch wingspan. Think about it ...having long arms like that might be an issue due to the great need to get those hands & arms up into position to strike very quickly after snapping. Longer arms are great when you are playing OT post but the reverse is true when you are snaping @ center.

This was the biggest problem that the young inexperienced OC Brian Allen was having when he started back in 2019. He had not mastered his quickness of getting his arms & hands up into position as fast as he needed to. Simply...he was just not quick enough to get his hands & arms into position ...the NT's would just further slap down his arms before they were up in strike position & the NT's lockdown into Allen's body with little resistance thus he was continually owned right after each snap.

Last edited: