Who to cut from the team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm not gutting half the roster like some of you want to. You have to replace and upgrade those guys immediately or you go 1-15. You can overspend in FA but that's never a good idea.

You can't decide it's okay to go 1-15 and expect to keep guys like Donald, Quinn, Gurley, Tavon, Hekker and Goff happy and engaged...not to mention the fan base. I'd go by the way of a more transitional approach to a roster overhaul.

Having said that, no way do i retain Saffold, Quick or Kendricks.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Lol i rather have that then what we had this year. The guy gave up 2 plays a year name 1 corner that doesnt even the best but NO corner have more touchdowns then Jenkins since he been in the league and even when he was with the Rams patrick peterson gave up more touchdowns then Jenkins almost every year but he was supposed to been one of the best in the league.. there should be no denying the impact Jenkins had on this defense after this year

I remember a stat that said something along the lines of Jenkins giving up 28 touchdowns in four seasons, or something similar. Pretty far from "two plays a season." I remember specifically AJ Green making him look like a chump.

No doubt he's playing the best football of his career in NY, and I'm ecstatic for the dude. No way of knowing if he'd be the same player if he had stayed here, tho. Those safeties in NY are beastly, and it helps having DRC on the other side.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmmmm...
One of our best positional coaches is Fassell, you'd agree? Yet, I can't think of a return TD...I still maintain from what I've seen, BOTH catch the ball better than Tavon. Both appear just as fast. Both seem to be able to break tackles better. Both were either undrafted or cut from prior teams....Both make considerably less. 12 TDs seem like an aberration rather than the norm for what has turned into a "gadget" player. Like I've said, Tavon is a hell of a RB....but receiver, weapon, just get him the ball? this was his best season in my opinion, yet he may have factored into winning ONE game. I won't even go into Tavon's biggest limitations, his inability to consistently win in one on one matchups and get open.
Tavon don't return kicks only punts and he have already returned plenty and it would be more but I can think of at least 3 that got called back from penalties. His best season was last year. He had 473 receiving yards 5 touchdowns with a long of 66 he had 434 rushing yards 4 touchdowns with a long of 60 not to mention the touchdown catches that got called back because of penalties. This year he had 500 receiving yards had only 28 rushing attempts and last game he had a touchdown run called back from a penalty. Get someone that knows how to use Tavon and you would see what he can do. Put him on ATL or green bay Denver Saints New England Detroit the bengals the Jaguars Chargers and we would be saying we should have drafted him. I'm not saying Tavon is a complete receiver but we definitely gotta do better rather it's his team mates penalties killing him or just not using him the right way. 28 rushing attempts this year when he had 52 last year is a step back and his threat running the ball definitely won games for us because that's when Gurley was able to go off

jap

Legend
He was amazing even before the GSOT happened. At his peak he was probably the 2nd best WR only behind the GOAT Rice at the time. Thing is Bruce didn't have Steve Young throwing him the ball. I think only us Rams fans appreciated how great he was. Truly one of the most underrated players all time. Not to mention a complete class act.

Well, that's just it. Isaac never had the likes of Joe Montana or Steve Young tossing him the rock. Before 1999, he never had a partner of the caliber of Torry Holt to play with. Yet he came up with 119 catches in only his second season as the primary offensive weapon of our sorry Horns team, even though he was consistently double- and triple-teamed! Believe me!, there were NFL critics who openly wondered if isaac was not better than Jerry Rice.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm not gutting half the roster like some of you want to. You have to replace and upgrade those guys immediately or you go 1-15. You can overspend in FA but that's never a good idea.

You can't decide it's okay to go 1-15 and expect to keep guys like Donald, Quinn, Gurley, Tavon, Hekker and Goff happy and engaged...not to mention the fan base. I'd go by the way of a more transitional approach to a roster overhaul.

I provided a big LIST of players I wouldn't be sad if they moved on... My list wasn't realistic though because obviously you could never gut a team by cutting 25 players from the previous year and logically find better players.

My list was more of a reference sheet of the players I hope the new HC/GM regime can replace with upgrades sooner than later. Some of them might actually turn out to be better players next season and remain on the roster for another 2 or 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember a stat that said something along the lines of Jenkins giving up 28 touchdowns in four seasons, or something similar. Pretty far from "two plays a season." I remember specifically AJ Green making him look like a chump.

No doubt he's playing the best football of his career in NY, and I'm ecstatic for the dude. No way of knowing if he'd be the same player if he had stayed here, tho. Those safeties in NY are beastly, and it helps having DRC on the other side.

Patrick Peterson as well.. even if he is playing zone coverage and the safety don't cover their half of the field it's going on the corner which is what happened a lot. At the same time we are talking less then a touchdown a game which is very good when you constantly face the best receivers every week

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is britt on the downside?? Jeffrey is going to want 13 million at least and hopefully we dont do that deal.
1,000 yards is great but he tapered off towards the end of the year. Add that to the injuries this year and him turning 29. Is he worth spending on in a rebuild? Maybe but I dunno
Edit: tapered off isn't the right word. Slowed down maybe?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1,000 yards is great but he tapered off towards the end of the year. Add that to the injuries this year and him turning 29. Is he worth spending on in a rebuild? Maybe but I dunno
Edit: tapered off isn't the right word. Slowed down maybe?

The entire offense tapered down though

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tavon don't return kicks only punts
Who's fault is that? The coaches? tRuSt me...I've seen Tavon...I know what Tavon is...and there has NEVER BEEN A PLAYER OF HIS STATURE THAT HAS DOMINATED A TEAM...AND I mean 5'7, 165 lbs...never ever...ever.
Last year WAS his best year as a receiver...He had a better look, better patterns...more targets, If he wants to swtch to RB, he should let the coaches know. He still has the same stone hands, small catch radius...and in no way, shape or form should be paid $10 million a year. That's just crazy...And Demoff should have seen that and IMMEDIATELY NIXED THE DEAL!
In this same thread is a player, Kenny Britt...the BEST RECEIVER on the team, and guys wanna CUT HIM?!?!?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The entire offense tapered down though
Not many of them have showed they're worth keeping either lol the only difference is the youth. Id be okay with a britt resigning. I'd just rather see his money go to a younger reciever with the same or higher upside. But if britt were brought back at number 2 it'd make a lot of sense

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who's fault is that? The coaches? tRuSt me...I've seen Tavon...I know what Tavon is...and there has NEVER BEEN A PLAYER OF HIS STATURE THAT HAS DOMINATED A TEAM...AND I mean 5'7, 165 lbs...never ever...ever.
Last year WAS his best year as a receiver...He had a better look, better patterns...more targets, If he wants to swtch to RB, he should let the coaches know. He still has the same stone hands, small catch radius...and in no way, shape or form should be paid $10 million a year. That's just crazy...And Demoff should have seen that and IMMEDIATELY NIXED THE DEAL!
In this same thread is a player, Kenny Britt...the BEST RECEIVER on the team, and guys wanna CUT HIM?!?!?

I don't think Britt should be cut if the price is right 6-7 million year range resign him. But on Austin we just disagree on what he was drafted for. 10 million a yr is steep I would have been happy with 7-8 million per year but you can't say that scheme hasn't played a part and QB play. Brandon cook is just as small their hands are about the same catch radius about the same but what's the difference scheme and QB play and Tavon is more talented than Cooks. All I'm saying is that Austin with better QB play and offensive play calling can be a 2000 multi yards guy. Receiving rushing and punt returns

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I've been preaching the fact this team lacked discipline, intensity, etc. In reality Fisher was a pal to the players and not their coach, and most of the assistants followed suit. Having heard guys talk about needing motivation, discipline, etc. confirms what I believed all along. I've been around football long enough as a player, coach and parent to know this team lacked discipline, attitude, and whatever else was needed to play winning football. Talk is cheap in this league, and this team "talked the talk, but couldn't walk the walk." Too many excuses were made each week, while pointing out tiny positives in order to deflect from the real problems lying within the team. My perception has been this team has been run in a "Country Club" atmosphere.

There's going to be a huge wake up call for most of these guys once the new HC and his staff arrive, and if they aren't going to get on board they will be unemployed by this team quickly. I also believe we have some non-intelligent football players on this team who are going to get let go because they were allowed to slide by. It can't happen with the new coaching staff. The front office better make damn sure it doesn't by hiring the right HC. There is definitely talent on this team, but there are some who won't fit and will be gone.

jap

Legend
Johnny: "Off with all their damn heads!!! Except mine, of course! And Aaron and Jerad and Todd and my roommate and . . . "

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

While I agree it has to be measured to a degree. It's a very short stroll from 4-12 to 1-15.
I would bet real cash money that Spags team he put on the field his last game, not Bradford but Clemens lead would beat the Rams team that played yesterday by 10 points.
And coaching prowess wan't one of Spags pillars.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Definitely let Brian Quit walk.

Probably let Kenny Britt walk, as I don't think he'll be a fit with the culture that will (hopefully) be installed. He's much more suited to the Fisher Heights Country Club type atmosphere.

If I read the page about the cap right, cutting Lance Kendricks not only nets us $4+ million in space, but leaves us with zero dead money. Buh Bye.

Tre Mason is an easy call.

Saffold ... yeah, probably so. I'd like to see how things shake out with the new coach, but he's unreliable health wise, costs us a lot of money, and has never approached being as good as he was the first year he was moved to guard.

Tim Barnes ... his effort is not in question, but he's just never been very good, and was bad this year.

Some people want to get rid of TJ due to redundancy ... I see their point, but I might throw a transition tag on him and see if we can trade him for something of value. And it might be worthwhile to see how other things shake out. TJ can play and has no problem putting forth the effort, so if we have to wave bye-bye, I don't want to let him walk for nothing.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Tavon was never drafted to be the typical number 1 receiver. I dont even look at austin as a receiver i look at him as an offensive weapon he scores everywhere on the field not too many guys in the game now can say that

The problem with not looking at him as a wide receiver is that he's still a starting wide receiver. His skill set would be a great compliment to 2 starting wide receivers. But if he can't produce as a starting wide receiver we shouldn't be playing him as a starting wide receiver.

We need 2 guys that can play WR. If we can squeeze in Austin's skill set after that, great. Unfortunately for him, one of the requirements of playing wide receiver is being able to play wide receiver.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem with not looking at him as a wide receiver is that he's still a starting wide receiver. His skill set would be a great compliment to 2 starting wide receivers. But if he can't produce as a starting wide receiver we shouldn't be playing him as a starting wide receiver.

We need 2 guys that can play WR. If we can squeeze in Austin's skill set after that, great. Unfortunately for him, one of the requirements of playing wide receiver is being able to play wide receiver.

I agree but to me that's not his fault. Quick Stedman Britt was supposed to be the guys though. I honestly believe we lost out on Stedman. I still think Austin can provide 6-800 yards receiving with about 8 touchdowns and another 4-500 rushing with another 4-5 touchdowns though

jap

Legend
I agree but to me that's not his fault. Quick Stedman Britt was supposed to be the guys though. I honestly believe we lost out on Stedman. I still think Austin can provide 6-800 yards receiving with about 8 touchdowns and another 4-500 rushing with another 4-5 touchdowns though

I think Sted would really shine with an accurate QB like Jared. Formerly best hands on the team and consistently gets open enough for an accurate QB. He may make it back, but, who nows, miracles do happen every once in a while.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Fair enough. I think 600 ish receiving is probably closer to his max if he's used in the running game enough and there is a legit pair of wide receivers ahead of him like there should be. I'd love to be wrong about that, but I don't feel there's enough evidence to think that I am.