Where's the pass rush?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what's going on with the pass rush. I know a lot of people have been talking about edge rushers but I don't see that as the problem. I haven't went back and watched the game but I thought Wade played a pretty vanilla defense last week vs the Chargers. After watching the Bills-Vikings game from last week, I have to think he's licking his chops to bring some heat against their offensive line. I realize we're down two corners but it's not like the guys we'll be putting out there are untested. I'd like to see us bring some exotic blitzes and force Cousins to get rid of the ball faster than he wants. I think if we can jump out on this team and force them to be one-dimensional, we'll be in good shape. The loss of Griffen on the other side of the ball doesn't hurt our offense a bit, either.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I would love it if our 120 mil DT would start getting some stats. For that much money I would expect 2-4 sacks by now.

TexasRam

Legend
We are definitely lacking an edge rush in my book.

I think an internal A gap blitz with Barron (when he gets back) or Kizer (if they get him on the field) maybe a solution. Both those guys have a knack for sacks from the inside LBer position.

The problem with Ebukam is he lacks the strength to push back a LT. His sacks appear relegated to quick moves around the LT.

if your OLB can crash the pocket from the inside bullrush it forces the QB to flush, and this is where Donald feasts.

Suh is a presence in the Run game for sure but Westbrook’s provides more pass rush from the line, i’d like to see Westbrook’s get more reps.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what's going on with the pass rush. I know a lot of people have been talking about edge rushers but I don't see that as the problem. I haven't went back and watched the game but I thought Wade played a pretty vanilla defense last week vs the Chargers. After watching the Bills-Vikings game from last week, I have to think he's licking his chops to bring some heat against their offensive line. I realize we're down two corners but it's not like the guys we'll be putting out there are untested. I'd like to see us bring some exotic blitzes and force Cousins to get rid of the ball faster than he wants. I think if we can jump out on this team and force them to be one-dimensional, we'll be in good shape. The loss of Griffen on the other side of the ball doesn't hurt our offense a bit, either.
I think that is exactly what we will see this week. Blitz is the word of the day.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It was pretty clear roster-wise that we were going young/unproven on the edge, so personally I am not surprised we need them to pick it up a bit. The young dudes do some things well, like the contain, but yeah our strength was supposed to be the secondary (injury) and interior DL.

This game the team needs Donald/Suh/Brock to flat out dominate.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yeah. Agree. There's really no excuse for not having a lot more sacks than we currently have.
Yeah, I know. Donald is for sure gonna have some good games, and probably 3 great ones. But so far, for 120 Million ... meh. Is 3 great games per year worth the moola?
Hope he's not simply content (on cruise control) now that he's super rich. We'll see.
I'm NOT saying he isn't trying. I'm saying "where is the game wrecker we just paid?"

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I’m seeing a really good pass rush. The ball is coming out quickly - often rushed out.

Stats are stats - the pass rush is fine.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
clint-eastwood.jpg
"where is the game wrecker we just paid?"

He’s coming...

MarkyMark

Rams fan for Life!!
Name
Mark
I miss Robert Quinn!! Hell of a edge rusher.

dang

Legend
The only real Defensive Teams stats that matter are points allowed and time of possession. Keep the offense out of the end zone and off the field - then with our Offense we will surely win!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think we need to see how many pressures we're getting. Anyone have any stats?
We are "rushing" the QB's, but just not making it home. Doling out lots of hits too.
The QB's are getting the ball out fast, but they're feeling AD breathing down their necks.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I saw the Raiders game. AD and Suh were getting held on nearly every play. The refs called a few holding calls but it was ridiculous what they let Oakland get away with. I'm surprised AD didn't need a New Jersey half way through the game.

The Cardinals got trashed.

The bolts game, Rivers was under heavy pressure on most plays but being an elite QB and veteran, he was able to get off the passes and most ties it was while the pocket was collapsing around him. I think we got hit a lot but without replays I'm not 100% sure. I've made it a point to watch AD and Suh to see how they work. There's pressure but I'm not seeing the game wrecker from AD we saw last season.

This is the game that it will be critical for AD and Suh to destroy the pocket. Cousins can kill you with time but he's not that mobile and can be forced into mistakes with heavy pressure.

SierraRam

Recreational User
They’re doing it right. Apply pressure but avoid the new 15-yard Tackling the QB penalty.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
QBs are throwing very quickly. Opposing Coaches are worried about the Rams pass rush and are trying to scheme around it. Even with that the Dline is getting pressure. It is still having an affect. The lack of an outside rush is likely the reason we see fewer sacks though.

Anyone want to guess what the Rams first round pick will be next year?

James Otto

Starter
The complaining about the pass rush because we don't have enough "sacks" is getting old already. We are giving up 12 PPG. Per PFF, Aaron Donald has a grade of 92.1 and is the #2 DT in the league. Per PFF, Nkamukong Suh has a grade of 90.4 is the #4 DT in the league. They have 21 QB pressures between them in 3 games .....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The QBs we've played so far have all had to get rid of the ball way faster than they wanted to just to avoid our pass rush. Our opponent's game plan has to been "GET THE FUCKING BALL OUT IMMEDIATELY"... otherwise the QB is gonna get blown up. We are dictating the play on D.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think Suh and AD are doing well enough. Quinn is missed....so, it is like we traded Quinn for Talib. I will take Quinn and SHields over Talib (and that is with even a healthyTalib). But the Rams made a lot of great moves. No one is perfect but YWHW and the Christ.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Upside? Teams are being more conservative with their game plans and that’s what is limiting their points. We are drawing penalties that kill drives quite regularly. The Rams are regulating offenses and dictating the game in a manner that has produced the best point and TOP differential in the league. If we were told only these things would be the result of our game plans from the beginning of the year, we would be standing in line to co-sign every move.

Downside? Even Wade admits our run defense wasn’t good enough vs the Chargers. We may very well blitz, but doing so always carries the risk of surrendering a big play. Good run blitzes blow plays up behind the line of scrimmage but if the offense executes a counter, it’s a big play for the O. The best defenses stay home and make you beat them, trusting superior talent, technique, and cohesion to win the day.

With all that said, if we leave Sheilds, Hill, and RC on an island too long w Theilan, Diggs, and Rudolph, bad things will happen. Christian has played far more snaps than I like because his play is uneven. Barron sure would make a difference this game if he was available. My bottom line is that Wade will make some adjustments but I expect the Vikings to perform better than the Chargers offensively. Wade will play more zone and we will have to focus on being our best in the red zone. I expect our offense to carry the day this week. The defense will have their day against other teams. Nevertheless, I’d be shocked if Donald didn’t get home at least a couple times tomorrow.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I saw the Raiders game. AD and Suh were getting held on nearly every play. The refs called a few holding calls but it was ridiculous what they let Oakland get away with. I'm surprised AD didn't need a New Jersey half way through the game.

The Cardinals got trashed.

The bolts game, Rivers was under heavy pressure on most plays but being an elite QB and veteran, he was able to get off the passes and most ties it was while the pocket was collapsing around him. I think we got hit a lot but without replays I'm not 100% sure. I've made it a point to watch AD and Suh to see how they work. There's pressure but I'm not seeing the game wrecker from AD we saw last season.

This is the game that it will be critical for AD and Suh to destroy the pocket. Cousins can kill you with time but he's not that mobile and can be forced into mistakes with heavy pressure.

Our D-line has definitely been held a lot this season, but I think I was just 'expecting more'? Especially when you see the way Mack has been playing for instance.

Donald was destroying o-lines and QBs last year, he's playing well this year don't get me wrong, just not at 'once-in-a-lifetime-talent' kinda way that I think we were all expecting - especially with Suh and Brock next to him.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Upside? Teams are being more conservative with their game plans and that’s what is limiting their points. We are drawing penalties that kill drives quite regularly. The Rams are regulating offenses and dictating the game in a manner that has produced the best point and TOP differential in the league. If we were told only these things would be the result of our game plans from the beginning of the year, we would be standing in line to co-sign every move.

Downside? Even Wade admits our run defense wasn’t good enough vs the Chargers. We may very well blitz, but doing so always carries the risk of surrendering a big play. Good run blitzes blow plays up behind the line of scrimmage but if the offense executes a counter, it’s a big play for the O. The best defenses stay home and make you beat them, trusting superior talent, technique, and cohesion to win the day.

With all that said, if we leave Sheilds, Hill, and RC on an island too long w Theilan, Diggs, and Rudolph, bad things will happen. Christian has played far more snaps than I like because his play is uneven. Barron sure would make a difference this game if he was available. My bottom line is that Wade will make some adjustments but I expect the Vikings to perform better than the Chargers offensively. Wade will play more zone and we will have to focus on being our best in the red zone. I expect our offense to carry the day this week. The defense will have their day against other teams. Nevertheless, I’d be shocked if Donald didn’t get home at least a couple times tomorrow.

Theilen, Diggs and Rudolph would have tested us at full strength - that's an impressive trio