Training Camp (SUN Aug-06)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I think having Havenstein and Brown switch positions is a bad move.

Havenstein can be a solid right tackle
When healthy and Brown might not be NFL material.

Sullivan may be rusty not having played a lot last year, but if he can't pull it together we are in for a very long season.

Ram65

Legend
We all new that Brown would be the Rams OL biggest question mark in this OL. With 4 of the 5 starters being new to this team or to new OL positions it would be a given there will be some bumpy early events. I still maintain that Andrew Donnal might end up starting @ RT if Jamon Brown has issues.

I think I read in many articles that the DL of Joey Boza/ Melvin Ingram/ Brandon Mebane/ Corey Liuget may be the most improved DL in the NFL. I even read where they are listed as #1.

Yes they got the nod from USA today as the best. That makes it a little easier to deal with. Still, I posted a Sullivan article that he is a better run blocker than pass blocker. It;s wait and see on Brown. I know you like Donnal but, he doesn't excite me just yet. In the picture it seems they got beat without much scheme. Rams backups looked bad to. It's wait and see for now.

http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/07/12/usa-today-ranks-bolts-nfls-top-defensive-line
USA Today Ranks Bolts as NFL's Top Defensive Line
Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:19 PM PDT

By Ricky Henne
Managing Editor
Chargers.com

As the calendar inches closer to the start of training camp, analysis and predictions throughout the NFL continue to heat up regarding the 2017 campaign.

On Wednesday, USA Today’s Nate Davis ranked all 32 defensive lines.

His top choice was none other than your Los Angeles Chargers, as he convincingly made the case for the unit as the best in the business:

“1. Los Angeles Chargers: Defensive rookie of the year Joey Bosa finished with 10 ½ sacks in just 12 games. He and newly minted Melvin Ingram, who's converting from linebacker, could give J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney serious competition as the league's top end tandem. Ex-Seahawk Brandon Mebane's reunion with new DC Gus Bradley means he should be more comfortable in the middle. And if a lighter, healthier Corey Liuget rebounds in a scheme players typically love, this could be a special quartet.”

What Davis didn’t mention was the impressive depth the Bolts possess behind those starters. Re-signing Damion Square and Tenny Palepoi was a priority this offseason, and the team locked them up in March. They join the likes of Caraun Reid, Jerry Attaochu, Darius Philon, Ryan Carrethers, Chris McCainand others who only add to the Bolts’ formidable defensive line.

As the calendar inches closer to the start of training camp, analysis and predictions throughout the NFL continue to heat up regarding the 2017 campaign.

On Wednesday, USA Today’s Nate Davis ranked all 32 defensive lines.

His top choice was none other than your Los Angeles Chargers, as he convincingly made the case for the unit as the best in the business:

“1. Los Angeles Chargers: Defensive rookie of the year Joey Bosa finished with 10 ½ sacks in just 12 games. He and newly minted Melvin Ingram, who's converting from linebacker, could give J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney serious competition as the league's top end tandem. Ex-Seahawk Brandon Mebane's reunion with new DC Gus Bradley means he should be more comfortable in the middle. And if a lighter, healthier Corey Liuget rebounds in a scheme players typically love, this could be a special quartet.”

What Davis didn’t mention was the impressive depth the Bolts possess behind those starters. Re-signing Damion Square and Tenny Palepoi was a priority this offseason, and the team locked them up in March. They join the likes of Caraun Reid, Jerry Attaochu, Darius Philon, Ryan Carrethers, Chris McCainand others who only add to the Bolts’ formidable defensive line.

WestCoastRam

Legend
And multiple reports had Bosa and Ingram lined up next to each other pass rushing at times in the scrimmage. My bet was that was when Saffold had trouble. That's gonna be a dangerous line. It's good to get some snaps against the 4-3 under as we'll be seeing it with Seattle twice a year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Sullivan may be rusty not having played a lot last year, but if he can't pull it together we are in for a very long season.

Speaking of a Ram center .......I just found out this morning that the Rams signed another center last week UDFA Parker Collins.
http://www.wataugademocrat.com/spor...cle_c3922f88-b2f3-5e3d-9340-72f6f8ec1d58.html
Guess he will join in with John Sullivan, Austin Blythe & Jake Eldrenkamp to be the center of our OL.

Yes they got the nod from USA today as the best. That makes it a little easier to deal with. Still, I posted a Sullivan article that he is a better run blocker than pass blocker. It;s wait and see on Brown. I know you like Donnal but, he doesn't excite me just yet. In the picture it seems they got beat without much scheme. Rams backups looked bad to. It's wait and see for now..
Agree.

Also the move of Ingram from OLB down into Quinn's old RDE post on Gus Bradley’s 4-3 scheme is going to make him all that better. Ingram only had 18 1/2 sacks the last 2 seasons. Like wise Boza is going to one serious pass rusher from that left side too. Boza had 10 sacks in what 12 games?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Things I think I think going into week two of training camp:

1) Competition between Webster and Gaines is still on-going. I thought Webster had the edge but competing reports out of the scrimmage makes me think it's still up in the air.

2) Our oline depth is BAD. Sounds like we have nothing in the cupboard which is frustrating since that prob means Wichman, Donnal et all haven't progressed.

3) Brown needs some seasoning at RT. Seems like he struggled some against SD. That being said, Bosa and Ingram are top talents and he was likely against them a lot.

4) Goff looks better than last year but his timing on deep passes needs work and more importantly his timing work on plays needs work. Getting the ball out on time or throwing it away are the top things for him to work on.

5) Doesn't sound like Mannion's in any different of a place talent/skill wise from last year.

6) Rams need their speedsters to get healthy quick. Why is Thomas still on PUP? Something's strange there. I fear any timing on deep routes will have not developed going into regular season if this continues much more into this week.

7) Brown has solidified the #2 running back spot but who plays on third down? How are the backs doing blocking? Seems like we'll be seeing backs out on routes far more with less blocking anyways.

8) Higbee has the right attributes... it will all come down to consistency catching the ball. Everett is the real deal but needs work almost all TE's do coming into the league blocking and learning the O.

Some interesting thoughts there WCR and I don't necessarily disagree with any of them. But my take on some of them:

2. I am not sure what we have in OL depth. Is it the competition they're seeing? Going up against our DL is a big challenge, particularly since we have probably the best DL depth in the league or damn near. I suspect it's more hit/miss, with probably 1-3 of them being serviceable depth.

3. Not too worried about Brown just yet. He definitely needs seasoning as you say, but he's going to have another week of snaps out there and then we'll see how he does on the 12th against the Boys. If he struggles in that game I'll be singing a different tune.

8. The key with Higs is that he just keeps working his butt off. He has the talent, and certainly has the coaching. And I still expect great things from him this season, I mean the stars are aligned for him to have an impact season for us. As you say he's gotta stay consistent though. Even though I was disappointed on Friday watching him it was moreso because I expect so much from him, wanted to see him dominating. So I was glad to read he had that TD yesterday and hope he has a strong week leading up to the Cowboys game.

The notes from yesterday pretty much were aligned with what I've been reading from camp reports and whatnot. The defense is on track and the offense should be improved just a question of how much. Still pumped up to see them play the Boys man, and after Gurley busts a big run or two get him the F out of there because he's a key piece for us.

WestCoastRam

Legend
@Merlin, nice points man. With the switch to 3-4 I think the depth at DT is less of a concern than it would be right now if we were 4-3. Remember our nickel will still most likely look like Quinn-Donald-Brockers-Barwin.

I am VERY curious about our depth at LB and who took the snaps for Quinn while he was out yesterday and who's backing up Barwin.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
During the 11-on-11 drills, Goff recorded a nice completion to tight end Gerald Everet
This Everett guy is starting to intrigue me....I mean...who is this 6'2 running back that plays TE?

McRoberts getting some PT. I liked him but, he seems to play similar to Reynolds. Could be with Reynolds out he gets his chance.
Oh boy...no Spruce talk....and Paul McRoberts can play a lil....and has a fine ass girlfriend...

Now that's a pocket Rams fans
Looked sloppy to me...Brown...and Sullivan look over-matched...not sure about Brown at tackle...would much rather have G-Rob there...oh well....maybe Donnal is ready to start...I'm keeping Havenstein at guard Boni...don't know why yet...but he was effective once at tackle...he should be an even better guard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Yesterday the right side was the strength of the offense.

Have you seen how much stronger Jamon Brown is this season. He is also a young guy who has serious upside. He is solid.

Big Rob is going to A little fire the pocket for Jared Goff. I don't see how there is anything wrong with that !! He also gets up field really well & is a Excellent Rin blocker. He knows spacing & know where the play is designed to go. He was struggling at RT.

Sullivan & Saffold were having trouble it seemed on a couple pass plays. Sullivan is a smart player though , and they will get it together. The Rams starters are going to be a strength, but if there is any kind of injury up front , then it starts to get scary.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Like wise Boza is going to one serious pass rusher from that left side too. Boza had 10 sacks in what 12 games?
They say his little brother (Ohio State-Nick Bosa) might be better than Joey Bosa

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In fact there’s a drill McVay puts his quarterbacks through in which they slowly, methodically scan from one read to the next on their read progression before finally throwing the ball. It forces them to slow down and look at every potential receiving target.

I like how similar this is to offensive mastermind Steve Spagnuolo's drill of having Sam Bradford throw the ball within 2.5 seconds in order to avoid the airhorn being blown at him. ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yesterday the right side was the strength of the offense.

Have you seen how much stronger Jamon Brown is this season. He is also a young guy who has serious upside. He is solid.

Big Rob is going to A little fire the pocket for Jared Goff. I don't see how there is anything wrong with that !! He also gets up field really well & is a Excellent Rin blocker. He knows spacing & know where the play is designed to go. He was struggling at RT.

Sullivan & Saffold were having trouble it seemed on a couple pass plays. Sullivan is a smart player though , and they will get it together. The Rams starters are going to be a strength, but if there is any kind of injury up front , then it starts to get scary.
There is a reason Kromer wanted Havenstien inserted @ RIGHT OG.....has something to do with that Gurley guy & running the ball. In truth the Havenstein/Brown duo is our future OL for the next 2 regular seasons. Both are backed up by Wichmann/Donnal also our main depth for the next few season too. I am not down on our depth as most seem to be.

Sullivan & Saffold have some things to get worked out & prove. I think that those 3 (Sully/Rodger & Andrew) will get it together before the regular season begins.All 3 are smart OL'ers.

Rams played most of last season last season with GRob/ Barnes & Wichmann as starters. They also had OC D.Rhaney & OG D.Arkin as depth. So 2 of the 3 starters have departed & that 3rd former 2 yr starter is now a reserve @ OG. Those two 2016 reserves were released. We have 2 second yr OT's Darrell Williams & Pace Murphy back & 2nd yr OC Austin Blythe here. So IMO the depth is better this season than last season. The only real concern in the depth is @ reserve LT.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There is a reason Kromer wanted Havenstien inserted @ RIGHT OG.....has something to do with that Gurley guy & running the ball. In truth the Havenstein/Brown duo is our future OL for the next 2 regular seasons. Both are backed up by Wichmann/Donnal also our main depth for the next few season too. I am not down on our depth as most seem to be.

Sullivan & Saffold have some things to get worked out & prove. I think that those 3 (Sully/Rodger & Andrew) will get it together before the regular season begins.All 3 are smart OL'ers.

Rams played most of last season last season with GRob/ Barnes & Wichmann as starters. They also had OC D.Rhaney & OG D.Arkin as depth. So 2 of the 3 starters have departed & that 3rd former 2 yr starter is now a reserve @ OG. Those two 2016 reserves were released. We have 2 second yr OT's Darrell Williams & Pace Murphy back & 2nd yr OC Austin Blythe here. So IMO the depth is better this season than last season. The only real concern in the depth is @ reserve LT.

Let's not forget about Jake Eldrenkamp. I think he makes the roster over Blythe, to be honest. He's Kromer's guy, and he has a ton of potential.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Saw a pic of Donnal wearing a soft boot on the sideline.

Rich Hammond ‏Verified account@Rich_Hammond 21h21 hours ago
Andrew Donnal, a key offensive line reserve for Rams, is on sidelines with his leg/knee in a soft support.

Not good. Leaves Murphy/Williams as backup T. Going to need to find some help.

Also read this from the chargers reporter.

Eric D. Williams ESPN Staff Writer
I don't know if the Rams blocked Melvin Ingram one time today.

Who was he going up against?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ingram was blocked often they just have to have something positive to report.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I'm here at camp right now who else is here? I'm on the south side bottom row of the bleachers in the shade.

Attachments

• 20170806_143923.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 152

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

You make some real good points

Yes - those 3 veterans are tight. This unit is really bonding well as a group. Cool to see . I like the switch of Brown & Big Rob . Like McVay says when Brown gets a hold of you he is in control. He has done well from what I've seen . I think I'm heading to practice in an hour to get another look at the team.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Saw a pic of Donnal wearing a soft boot on the sideline.

Rich Hammond ‏Verified account@Rich_Hammond 21h21 hours ago
Andrew Donnal, a key offensive line reserve for Rams, is on sidelines with his leg/knee in a soft support.

Not good. Leaves Murphy/Williams as backup T. Going to need to find some help.

Also read this from the chargers reporter.

Eric D. Williams ESPN Staff Writer
I don't know if the Rams blocked Melvin Ingram one time today.

Who was he going up against?
Here's how I would respond to any concerns here @ OT. First, Rams are healthy @ both starting OT posts (Whitworth/Brown)presently. Second, Rams have two long term college OT's (Saffold/ Havenstein) now starting @ both OT posts. Fact is both of these current starting Ram OG's have many more starts & experience @ OT than @ OG. Third, During the 2015 season OT UDFA Darrell Williams was our surprise TC & pre season swing OT until wk 9 when he badly damaged his wrist & was IR'd. DW came back & was active for the 2016 TC & pre season but was placed on IR again for an undisclosed injury. Fouth, OT UDFA Pace Murphy was last seasons surprise OL'er. He was active all season long & got a ton of starting action in the last game of 2016. Murphy held up well @ RT. 5th, Kromer has a new rookie UDFA OT named Micheal Dunn who has been here for a while now.

Andrew Donnal was or 6th OL'er last season & entered TC as our 6th OL'er. His roster spot is secured. Having AD out for a few weeks will provide Kromer to get some longer looks @ the bottom 3 OT's of depth(Murphy/Williams/Dunn). Having 8 OT's on the roster now is just fine IMO.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Here's how I would respond to any concerns here @ OT. First, Rams are healthy @ both starting OT posts (Whitworth/Brown)presently. Second, Rams have two long term college OT's (Saffold/ Havenstein) now starting @ both OT posts. Fact is both of these current starting Ram OG's have many more starts & experience @ OT than @ OG. Third, During the 2015 season OT UDFA Darrell Williams was our surprise TC & pre season swing OT until wk 9 when he badly damaged his wrist & was IR'd. DW came back & was active for the 2016 TC & pre season but was placed on IR again for an undisclosed injury. Fouth, OT UDFA Pace Murphy was last seasons surprise OL'er. He was active all season long & got a ton of starting action in the last game of 2016. Murphy held up well @ RT. 5th, Kromer has a new rookie UDFA OT named Micheal Dunn who has been here for a while now.

Andrew Donnal was or 6th OL'er last season & entered TC as our 6th OL'er. His roster spot i secured. Having AD out for a few weeks will provide Kromer to get some longer looks @ the bottom 3 OT's of depth. Having 8 OT's on the roster now is just fine IMO.

Brown is starting, but not convinced he is the starter at RT. Donnal played pretty well last season, and thought he would be the starting RT after Havenstein was moved to G. But he is injuried, wearing a walking boot in training camp is a concern. Another concern is Brown is also 6-3 or 6-4 , every starting RT in the league is in the 6-5. 6-6 area that I could find. Donnal is 6-6. Not sure if that is relevant or not, just something that is out there.

Just hope the issue for Donnal is not a longer term kind of thing. Seems for now that Brown may be the starter by default, and that rarely turns out well. The others on the roster will have an outstanding opportunity, with Coach Kromer to develop. And do thing like our new OL coach. Very, very good at development.