Titans snagging LaFleur

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
More changes for jared , good thing Mcvay can continue his growth but I am big on consistency. These guys were here for 1 year and leave??

Mariota is a bigger project than people think , good luck with that one !

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Meh

McVay is the reason our offense was so good. Those teams who poached our assistants are desperados.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Actually that does not matter anymore the supervisory tag, teams must grant permission and I'm assuming LaFleur went to McVay and told him he wanted to go there to call plays and McVay is all about giving opportunities. My guess, Jedd Fische will be the new OC.

Yep I figured that if an opportunity became real that McVay would let him leave. They are close friends, and with him not calling plays there is zero reason to keep him from the promotion.

Congrats to Coach LaFleur and as we say in the Navy "Fair winds and following seas" to him and family.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, anyone else concerned our boy Goff losing both Olson and LaFleur in one off-season just after his first succsseful season?!!! Ehhh would’ve loved to have retained one or both.

This is where it all comes back to having a true expert on one side of the ball locked up as your head coach. It is critical in today's NFL, otherwise you get picked clean of good minds.

And if you can find an old SOB for the other side of the ball who doesn't want to go the HC route again, even better. The Rams are set up far, far better than most teams in both those regards.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not worried about the offense per se but am worried about goff. No doubt this will affect him most

Goff is going to be fine. He still has McVay producing an offensive scheme that gives him outlets for most situations he will encounter.

Clearly McVay knew this was coming, thus the hire of Fisch. Everything on offense runs through Sean, I don't expect much change as long as they don't screw up the personnel side.

Ellard80

Legend
It's all about McVay anyway.. when I watch the games its McVay and Goff that do the majority (overwhelmingly) of communication..

McVay is pretty demanding, so these guys wanting more power and less grind is not suprising.

jap

Legend
Sean stated last off-season that he would be calling plays in 2017 but that LaFleur would be integrated into the play-calling in later seasons, beginning in 2018. LaFleur helped Sean set up game plans last season. I wonder if he is truly ready to call plays full-time. In any regard, we still have the original offensive architect on onboard so our Jared should grow into a more commanding role this off-season.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
LaFleur most likely would have stayed in McVay would turned over the play calling duties to him. Pleased McVay chose not to do that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Patriots win 100 Super Bowls and keep their coordinators forever, but one good year and the Rams lose theirs

It's interesting that Belichick's coordinators, for the most part, haven't done jack squat once they've left for other teams. Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Charlie Weis, Josh McDaniels, and Bill O’Brien come to mind.
********************************************************************************************
Bill Belichick’s coaching tree remains fruitless

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...s-fruitless/e0QPZ8QouFIRLkoMmTdH8O/story.html

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/30/rams-promote-two-with-matt-lafleur-off-to-tennessee/

Rams promote two with Matt LaFleur off to Tennessee
Posted by Josh Alper on January 30, 2018

Matt LaFleur’s tenure as the Rams offensive coordinator came to an end with Tuesday’s announcement that he is taking the same job with the Titans.

The Rams followed up the Titans’ announcement with one that explained how they’ll change their offensive coaching staff with LaFleur out of the picture. The Rams will promote offensive line coach Aaron Kromer to run game coordinator and tight ends coach Shane Waldron to pass game coordinator.

“I’m excited for Matt LaFleur and his family as he transitions to the Titans as offensive coordinator,” McVay said in a statement. “We’re grateful for his contribution to the Rams and our NFC West Championship season last year. As we move to 2018, we are confident in the leadership and guidance of Aaron Kromer and Shane Waldron as they begin their roles as run coordinator and pass coordinator.”

McVay called the plays on offense last season and will continue to do so in his second year with Los Angeles.

LaFleur was the second offensive coach to leave the Rams this offseason. Quarterbacks coach Greg Olson is now the Raiders offensive coordinator with Zac Taylor taking over the quarterback duties.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Success brings coaching departures, yes after one year when you go from worst to first in scoring.

Bear in mind, these are both promotions. Olson goes from QB coach to OC, Lafleur goes from OC not calling plays to an OC calling plays.

McVay won't get in the way of promotions nor should he. He'll adjust and find people to fill these spots.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
We all know McVay was calling the plays, so imo it doesnt really matter if LaFleur leaves or who fills his spot. Only thing I feel we may lose is another great qb coach for Goff, bc that's what i believe LaFleur really was. Good luck to LaFleur, though.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
This sucks but good luck to LaFleur in Tennessee. As most have pointed out he was just the OC by name and McVay is running the show. He probably did have a hand in helping Goff though. I think he will do well for the Titans, they have a lot of weapons for him to work with.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sounds exactly like what some people said about Sean Mcvay lol

Well we’re did McVay move from ??
HC is sure different than being a OC again. McVay is the controlling part of it.

Lineman had Olsen back in the day.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams will promote offensive line coach Aaron Kromer to run game coordinator and tight ends coach Shane Waldron to pass game coordinator.

giphy.gif