The Forgotten Man: Why WR Marquez North is a Ram to keep an eye on this summer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_d61bbc0b6bd349c0b7152e9318b42d91~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...-North-is-a-Ram-to-keep-an-eye-on-this-summer

The Rams are back at work with a new regime, players, slogan, personnel and culture. With all of that being said, it's all deja vu for second year wide receiver Marquez North.

The soon-to-be 22-year old WR went undrafted last year and signed a contract with the Rams. He seemed to go undrafted after leaving Tennessee too early and not putting much to boast about on film. North has the size and athleticism. He is at an advantage this season coming into camp as the biggest receiver by far at 6-foot-4 and 216 pounds. There were plenty of rumblings out of camp last year that North looked like a possibility to make the 53-man roster but he battled injuries and was eventually put on injured reserve. A blessing at the time? Not quite, but North didn't foresee an injured reserve stash for the 2016 season and he especially didn't foresee a coaching staff overhaul.

With the new coaching staff in place and the intriguing ability North flashes at a position of need, it could be a recipe for success. North is a giant target who ran a 4.48 forty yard dash and was originally a top high school prospect that just never got it going at the college level. There is a good chance with the new regime, North gets coached up enough to become a serious contender to make the roster. Of course, with the positive side...there can always be a negative side. North could be let go early on into the off-season program due to the fact the draft is coming up and the Rams could take a few talents early on that would make North an afterthought if he isn't already one.

The best case scenario in my opinion for North is the fact he ends up being Brian Quick with actual coaching. I believe North has a chance to make the roster but he really needs to show up and prove it. With almost all new coaches one could argue free agent signing Robert Woods and recently extended Tavon Austin are the only locks to make the Rams 53-man roster. North will have to play to his strengths and show his value off with this new clean slate mentality. The Rams may opt to draft more edge rushing help or even go safety or offensive line heavy if they believe they have enough help at the position. Outside of Tyler Higbee, you could argue the Rams only have two other red zone threats in Nelson Spruce and Paul McRoberts. North is about three inches taller and would provide a big bodied frame that could be used on the fade routes in the corner for Jared Goff.

North's biggest strengths are the way he is able to box out defensive backs and his adjustment to balls thrown around his catch radius. He is actually slightly underrated despite the lack of production he had in college. This is a player that has enough tools to want to try developing. Last year he went against serious competition, but this year the competition has gone down significantly. The Rams are missing more than 50 percent of their receiving production after both Kenny Britt and Brian Quick departed Los Angeles. That leaves an opening for North and everyone else for that matter.

When it’s all said and done it’s likely North will be on the list of cuts at the end of training camp, but he has enough to him where you could realistically see him finding a spot on the team. As long as he stays fully healthy and continues to work as hard as he did last season there is a good chance he will at least be thrown onto the practice squad. Regardless what happens there is no denying that North’s size factor is enticing and makes him a big player to watch out for this summer.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Do you like North? Do you dislike North? Do you even have any idea who he is? Let us know all of your thoughts below!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I loved him predraft and thought he was a great UDFA pick up. Injuries derailed a once promising college career and he didn't get off to a good start in that regard in the NFL. He's definitely got the talent to at least makes things interesting for that 5th or 6th WR spot IF he can stay healthy, but thats a huge if at this point.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I loved him predraft and thought he was a great UDFA pick up. Injuries derailed a once promising college career and he didn't get off to a good start in that regard in the NFL. He's definitely got the talent to at least makes things interesting for that 5th or 6th WR spot IF he can stay healthy, but thats a huge if at this point.
Very true just felt like this made sense to cover since many people aren't like you and I and forgot about him. Thanks for the read man!

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
He must be good because he is about to pass Jerry Rice in career passing yards.

(On my Madden game) :)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm looking forward to seeing more of North during the pre-season. We know he has the length, but it's going to come down to hands and good route running if he wants to make the roster.

By the way Jake, you didn't include the 6'5" Hemingway among the taller receivers as a potential red-zone threat.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm sure there will be an UDRFA that I will attach myself to this season that is what makes training camp so much fun, will he be another London Fletcher or Gaylon Hyder? Not sure, but North is intriguing, however, IMHO, the Rams will be drafting most likely two WR's and I'm not sure North is the direction they will go in.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
LIke Den, I like to see the unexpected occur. A UDFA open everybody's eyes, make the roster and be a factor. But we're talking about a guy who was a great high school athlete who never did anything to distinguish himself in college, went undrafted and got hurt while attempting to make the team for the only guys who gave him a chance. Hey, I wish the kid luck but like Den said, we're probably drafting a couple of WRs this year......this regime is drafting a couple.....so I don't see him making the team unless he opens eyes every time he touches the ball, which probably won't be much with their new UFA, Austin, Cooper and a couple of new young guys. That's a tall order. Thomas will probably get more action than North.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like North....He's gotta stay healthy. At this moment, he's the 2017 version of DX...

He's a better athlete than Quick....More like Britt.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's crazy I was just thinking about North the kid has some wheels and some serious jumping ability has some nice wiggle about him too. We need to try everyone out the theme of this offseason is competition and I love it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I would love to find a gem, in North.

But the injuries and lack of production since high school make him the longest of shots, IMO.

Good topic.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'll say this.

McVay has an enviable reputation as one that can improve on player techniques and player understanding of their exact roles within the O.

So, I am gonna keep an open mind about the various WR's and TE's already on the roster. Wouldn't be a stunner if one or two didn't have the lightbulb go on and become productive players for McVay.

But yeah, I also expect to see a couple of WR's brought in, too. One having been a draft pick no later than the 4th round. Maybe much sooner.

McVay seems serious about bringing in O weapons for Goff.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
North has a long way to go. I watched him at Irvine TC and his route running was not very sharp. He needs a lot of work in that area of his game.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...-North-is-a-Ram-to-keep-an-eye-on-this-summer

The Rams are back at work with a new regime, players, slogan, personnel and culture. With all of that being said, it's all deja vu for second year wide receiver Marquez North.

The soon-to-be 22-year old WR went undrafted last year and signed a contract with the Rams. He seemed to go undrafted after leaving Tennessee too early and not putting much to boast about on film. North has the size and athleticism. He is at an advantage this season coming into camp as the biggest receiver by far at 6-foot-4 and 216 pounds. There were plenty of rumblings out of camp last year that North looked like a possibility to make the 53-man roster but he battled injuries and was eventually put on injured reserve. A blessing at the time? Not quite, but North didn't foresee an injured reserve stash for the 2016 season and he especially didn't foresee a coaching staff overhaul.

With the new coaching staff in place and the intriguing ability North flashes at a position of need, it could be a recipe for success. North is a giant target who ran a 4.48 forty yard dash and was originally a top high school prospect that just never got it going at the college level. There is a good chance with the new regime, North gets coached up enough to become a serious contender to make the roster. Of course, with the positive side...there can always be a negative side. North could be let go early on into the off-season program due to the fact the draft is coming up and the Rams could take a few talents early on that would make North an afterthought if he isn't already one.

The best case scenario in my opinion for North is the fact he ends up being Brian Quick with actual coaching. I believe North has a chance to make the roster but he really needs to show up and prove it. With almost all new coaches one could argue free agent signing Robert Woods and recently extended Tavon Austin are the only locks to make the Rams 53-man roster. North will have to play to his strengths and show his value off with this new clean slate mentality. The Rams may opt to draft more edge rushing help or even go safety or offensive line heavy if they believe they have enough help at the position. Outside of Tyler Higbee, you could argue the Rams only have two other red zone threats in Nelson Spruce and Paul McRoberts. North is about three inches taller and would provide a big bodied frame that could be used on the fade routes in the corner for Jared Goff.

North's biggest strengths are the way he is able to box out defensive backs and his adjustment to balls thrown around his catch radius. He is actually slightly underrated despite the lack of production he had in college. This is a player that has enough tools to want to try developing. Last year he went against serious competition, but this year the competition has gone down significantly. The Rams are missing more than 50 percent of their receiving production after both Kenny Britt and Brian Quick departed Los Angeles. That leaves an opening for North and everyone else for that matter.

When it’s all said and done it’s likely North will be on the list of cuts at the end of training camp, but he has enough to him where you could realistically see him finding a spot on the team. As long as he stays fully healthy and continues to work as hard as he did last season there is a good chance he will at least be thrown onto the practice squad. Regardless what happens there is no denying that North’s size factor is enticing and makes him a big player to watch out for this summer.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Do you like North? Do you dislike North? Do you even have any idea who he is? Let us know all of your thoughts below!

My question would be how would he be let go early in off season ?? The Rams will keep like 90 players until the first cuts . If he had any talent at all of a position of need & is the only real big WR ? McRoberts is big though at 6'2 vs 6'3 not 6'4 from The Rams roster, but is 29 bs heavier 229.
Spruce at 6'1 205 plays tall & runs excellent routes.
Bradley Marquez has been a starter at some point for 2 years. He has been a core special teams guy.
---Marquez North does standout on the field.He could be a good WR , except I don't think at this point The Rams know what to expect from him .
P. Copper is going to get playing time. IMO he was an excellent find in 4th rd .
Mike Thomas is underrated as well IMO.Watching training camp & Copper was hurt,before getting hurt against Dallas. M. Thomas was flashing huge at UCI. At the end of last season he was the KR & was playing a lot on special teams.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow thanks guys for your responses. I appreciate the reads and engagement. I personally don't love North but I think he deserves an opportunity.

Ram65

Legend
11 Austin, Tavon WR 5-8 176 26 5 West Virginia
10 Cooper, Pharoh WR 5-11 207 22 2 South Carolina
15 Marquez, Bradley WR 5-10 196 24 3 Texas Tech
19 McRoberts, Paul WR 6-2 200 24 1 Southeast Missouri State
3 North, Marquez WR 6-3 229 21 1 Tennessee
82 Shippen, Brandon WR 5-11 198 22 1 Temple
86 Spruce, Nelson WR 6-1 205 24 1 Colorado
13 Thomas, Mike WR 6-1 200 22 2 Southern Miss
17 Woods, Robert WR 6-0 190 25 5 Southern California

http://www.therams.com/team/roster.html

I thought McRoberts looked smooth and natural.

Forgot about North who does remind me a little of DX. Spruce has the hands but, Thomas doesn't. Watched some Cooper combine yesterday and he dropped a few. Bradley got some PT last and looked good IIRC. Gotta hope one or two come through this year.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's my take...

Austin
Woods
Draft pick (a virtual certainty by the end of round 4, at the latest)

All 3 are locks to make the probable final six. (Tavon only because of his damned contract)

Spruce (if he can stay healthy)
Cooper (still needs to step up a little)

Both look like probables to make the six, although a second drafted WR is a definite possibility. Maybe even another second tier FA, too.

That would mean that all the remaining WR's on this roster would be fighting for the only remaining roster spot.

That's some fierce competition, man.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wow thanks guys for your responses. I appreciate the reads and engagement. I personally don't love North but I think he deserves an opportunity.

Yeah !! For sure !! He is the youngest Ram on the roster !!! There is a lot of upside for a young WR with all his tools.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Reading back ??? Holly crap what a horrible statement !!!

Just when The Rams got rid of Brian Quick & his stench , you want another player like him & that is his best case scenario ?? Holly crude Batman !!

I think his upside could be better than Ram fans could even expect. Looks like a player that stands out . Brian Wuick stood out for all the wrong reasons. He never wore his uniform right,especially in practice . Kenny would always have his shirt off anytime he had a chance.

North is real big for a WR & easy to spot out. His hands & body position will be his biggest question mark