The curious case of Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Over the past 25 years, here is the list of players who have scored 10 or more TDs in a single season.
Includes all skill position players (WR, RB, TE)

Shouldn't Marshall Faulk be on that list ? He did it 3 times with the Rams, 2 more with Colts.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
IF Steddy B can return healthy, I'd have a package deal on the down low that if Tavon signs long term, we will "take care" of Bailey. Put a good deal in place and let there be a reason to be loyal. Otherwise his agent will rule for the cheddar and the 5th year option will be inevitable unless we want him to go the way of Janoris

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shouldn't Marshall Faulk be on that list ? He did it 3 times with the Rams, 2 more with Colts.
That's a good point. No idea why he didn't come up in the results.
But it was only a Rams' list, so his stuff with the Colts wouldn't register.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a good point. No idea why he didn't come up in the results.
But it was only a Rams' list, so his stuff with the Colts wouldn't register.
Now I know why. Duh.
I put the search criteria as players *in their first 3 years* on the Rams.
Faulk was already a veteran when we traded for him.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
I don't want to lose Tavon, he's one of our "core" players-----and I hate to lose core players because we won't/can't pay at least close to market value. Tavon had a pretty good year last year, but based on that year he's not worth $12mil; I do think we'll see a better year for him this year. I sure hope we can get a deal done before he truly has a "breakout" year--- I think our new qb will be a great help in making this happen---and keep him off the FA market. It's a risk either way, but I'd exercise the option and get a deal done-----we still haven't seen the best of what he can do. Finally, what kind of output/value to our offense should we expect or receive for 12mil? When does Tavon's value to the team meet what he will get paid.

…..

Legend
Over the past 25 years, here is the list of players who have scored 10 or more TDs in a single season.
Includes all skill position players (WR, RB, TE)

JvWfgSf.jpg

um.....Marshall Faulk? multiple years with over ten, a couple over 20

Tory Holt? at least 3 seasons with double digit TD's

however, your point is well taken

edit.....I see your follow up post. pardon me.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Tavon is a must-sign. There's nobody else in the league who can do all of the things he can do. He's also our only offensive threat aside from Gurley, so hopefully we can keep him, even if we have to use the fifth year option on him.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
You cannot truly measure any Rams offensive players stats the past few years under Fisher/Shottenheimer running a non-pro offense.
Tavon is a must sign for the Rams. The Rams cannot afford to lose these very good players they are drafting each year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Does this mean Tavon is gonna grow?

Cuz he's already kinda small and has that soft, old man stutter (Okay, that's kinda wrong, but I find it endearing...LOL)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Does this mean Tavon is gonna grow?

Cuz he's already kinda small and has that soft, old man stutter (Okay, that's kinda wrong, but I find it endearing...LOL)

Special place in Hell is waiting for you........

RamzFanz

Damnit
Seriously though, as a quadruple, threat he's just kickass. You can't let him go until you can replace him in all roles.

The TD sats mean nothing because he's probably had as many called back as he's scored from having so much rookie talent around him. That's not even considering how many times the QB missed or the talent around him failed to execute. There's not a player on the field that gives and explodes every play like TA.

He's perfect for Fisher's scheme. Essential even.

My bet is they work out a long term deal. Especially if Steady comes back.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Exercise his option and attempt to sign him to a long-term contract before he becomes a FA in '17
Initially I pick this^ option! But doesn't all depend on what happens this year!!?!

WvuIN02

Starter
Tavon is not a prima donna and is always about loyalty and his team, been that way all the way back to following him in high school (just see how as one of the top HS 5 star talents in the nation he put the lime light away from him and on his coach who passed -- gave their HS championship trophy to his wife). Same at WVU.

I just cant see him not working out something reasonable for the Rams to get paid but not be a drain on the team, hes a great young man.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I don't really care much about his stats--there's been nothing shitty QB play during his time with us.

TexasRam

Legend
If only there was a QB in the draft that could throw the deep ball to actually utilize the world class speed of Tavon.

Oh wait there is.

Let's see what happens after Goff and Tavon spend a season together. We may view Tavon in a new light.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ahhhh crap.....
no way is Tavon worth $12 million

Yeah but why not lock him up for the 5th year now. The $12m can be his signing bonus next season on a long term deal so he won't have a 12m cap value.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I hate looking at the money these guys get it is ridiculous. There isn't one athlete in any sport worth that kind of jack but somehow the money is there.

What's the salary cap for next year? What percentage of the cap would that 12M be?

Is he going to sign a more reasonable long term deal? If he is not going to sign a long term deal then I would not pay him that much for a 1 year rental.