The curious case of Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gulp.

Y3A1SEG.jpg

T
he Rams have two players eligible for fifth-year options in Austin and Ogletree. The difference is that Ogletree's price at 8.3 milz is doable and justifiable, because he was selected outside of the top 10 in the draft. OTOH, Austin's $12.2 million salary would make him the one of the highest paid receivers in 2017, BECAUSE he was picked at #8 overall. If exercised, he would make more than guys like Fitzgerald, Maclin, Jordy Nelson and others. The Rams picked up fifth-year options on Quinn and Brockers in the past two years, but they were selected outside of the top ten picks in their respective drafts so the options for each were significantly less than what it would take to pick up Tavon's option this time.

IMO, I don't think Austin is worth the 5th year option price. He's a phenomenal athlete, and a game-changer on multiple fronts, but he's not $12M good. The Rams are obviously weighing all of their options at the moment, but I have to wonder how they're going to handle this before they paint themselves into a corner. They have a few options on how to approach this.

Decline to exercise his option, let him play out the final year of his rookie contract (this year) and allow him to become a FA in '17 without re-signing him.

Decline to exercise his option and attempt to sign him to a long-term contract before he becomes a FA in '17.

Exercise his option and attempt to sign him to a long-term contract before he becomes a FA in '17

Exercise the option and attempt to sign him to a long-term contract before the option year becomes fully guaranteed when he's on the '17 opening day active roster.

FmuWy7v.jpg

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have to keep tavon at all costs he's one of 2 legit weapons we have on offense. Losing him not only hurts the O in general, it hurts Gurley as well. Hopefully we can agree to a long term deal to avoid paying him that 12 mil option but if that's what it takes to keep him here long term so be it

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it depends on how well Austin plays this season. A combined 1k yards from running/passing isn't enough to keep him around. He has to break out with a big season receiving and it might happen if they get a QB in here who plays early and who can hit him in stride with accuracy.

IF that happens I think they move that tag to him. IF not I think they try to get a fair deal done and if he wants more let him test the waters i.e. he will walk.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I know his numbers aren't staggering but consider what he's had at QB and calling plays. Last year was really the first time we started to figure out how to really use him. I suspect this year will be even better.
And if you take him off the field what else do we have left? 8 and 9 man fronts all day against Gurley.
IMO he doesn't get enough credit. He's the most electric player we have that can score from anywhere and on ST as well. Long term deal is best but we can't let him go.

EDIT- I don't think he's worth $12M so long term is best IMO. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If I couldn't get a deal done I would regret it and would not pay the pricetag because IMO if he wasn't willing to do a deal then he had made up his mind to hit free agency and someone will overpay. So that would lead me to yank off the bandaid and spend that 12MIL on a WR and one other player.

The reality of the new CBA isn't what the guys who crafted thought it would be.........it had a different effect. It's causing more turnover on rosters already, at least on the top end talent. Contracts for free agents are getting as big as rookie deals ever were so young players and their agents are WAY less likely to sign an extension.

Psycho_X

Legend
Just for clarity that was for the 2013 year. This years fifth year options (or in other words the salaries for the 2016 fifth years as assigned last May so Michael Brockers for us) is shown in this graph and are actually lower for most positions by a lot. More specifically WR is a $1.4ish million lower. However, I have no idea what the 2017 fifth year numbers will be that Tavon's contract would go off of since it changes every year based on average contracts of the top 10 WRs.

Also to note, this decision has to be made by the first or second week of May. I can't remember specifically, last year it was May 3rd. So we can't wait to see how Tavon performs this season. It's a "do it now or lost it" sort of thing. So the decision has to be based off what he has done so far and what the coaches think he is capable of in the future. Personally, he's the only playmaker we have outside of Gurley. It's worth considering I think.

tm7uIR2.png

Edit: or does the chart above mean it's for the class of 2013? He's confused me now because he made the exact same chart last year and called it the 2016 chart. Now he's changed it to draft class for labeling it? Well either way, maybe it won't be cheaper. But Tavon is still our only playmaker at WR currently. The Rams need to find a way to lock him up long term preferably but they don't seem to be very good at convincing players of that lately.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We have to keep tavon at all costs he's one of 2 legit weapons we have on offense. Losing him not only hurts the O in general, it hurts Gurley as well. Hopefully we can agree to a long term deal to avoid paying him that 12 mil option but if that's what it takes to keep him here long term so be it

I love TA, but 12MIL is too much especially for a likely one year rental.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love TA, but 12MIL is too much especially for a likely one year rental.
You bring up a good point in that if we can't extend him long term he has likely made up his mind to enter free agency...hadn't really thought of that. Damn I just don't want to lose him. Hopefully us drafting a new qb will pan out and the promise of the future with new stud qb and Gurley plus the bright lights if LA will be enough to convince him to remain a ram and we can lock him up

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Although that $12mil. number is scary, I say extend the fifth year option, and sign him. He is invaluable to this offense, and one of the keys to Gurley's success.

Running Tavon in motion. The uncertainty for opposing defensive coordinators of "Who is getting the ball?" in the Rams offense, is a strength that was working. It should not be scrapped, as the new shiny thing arrives, but the new passing game should supplement this strength. A decent passing game will pull the eighth man out of the box.

Getting rid of Cooked, and his drive killing dropped passes. Adding 1-2 more receiver/tight end targets, and getting bonus production from returning players, (Quick, Stedman?) can only help, and will be figured out in OTAs and camp. Britt's production will benefit from better quarterback play. Welker? Marquez?

There is ssooooo much unknown still on the near horizon to make an assessment now, about our passing game, AND running game. But one thing is clear. Tavon needs to be a big part of that.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I'm with you ^^^. Tavon's value cannot be measured in touches and stats alone. He is a decoy on a TON of plays that help other guys (including TGII). That is a steep number, no doubt, but I cannot imagine THIS offense without him. It would cease to exist. I would exercise the option and hope to work out a long term deal before start of 2017 league year.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Sign him. The offense doesn't work without him and the best is yet to come from him. Or don't - and see him produce his best work for another team. Two years wasted with that crappy schottenheimer offense...

Psycho_X

Legend
Two years wasted with that crappy schottenheimer offense...

Kind of off subject but google "Georgia Bulldogs Schottenheimer" if you want to read a ton of articles or statements about how god awful Schotty was there after leaving and how the fans hated him. Not sure how he keeps getting jobs. Now he's the QBs coach for the Colts.

upload_2016-4-20_11-20-11.png

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The new CBA makes it more likely for players to test their market value... especially if they aren't given that 5th year. Why not test the market at that point ? It would be kinda foolish not to. That's what we all better get prepared to see more of.

As far as how much $ TA gets paid. He's a real play maker and his value is large. I wouldn't allow playmakers to get away from my team. Playmakers are worth every penny.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Kind of off subject but google "Georgia Bulldogs Schottenheimer" if you want to read a ton of articles or statements about how god awful Schotty was there after leaving and how the fans hated him. Not sure how he keeps getting jobs. Now he's the QBs coach for the Colts.

View attachment 13144
Lol. I know...I watched some of their games. Despite the talent he had it was awful to watch...

A55VA6

Legend
Without Tavon, defenses would do what they did to SJ39 to Gurley and our offense would be shit. Tavon atleast gives us hope on offense. I say do whatever it takes to keep him..

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You bring up a good point in that if we can't extend him long term he has likely made up his mind to enter free agency...hadn't really thought of that. Damn I just don't want to lose him. Hopefully us drafting a new qb will pan out and the promise of the future with new stud qb and Gurley plus the bright lights if LA will be enough to convince him to remain a ram and we can lock him up

I don't want to see him go either, but I can't see a guy with his skillset not trying to get the BIG payday. If I was his agent I'd tell him "let's go get the cheddar!!!"

Ram65

Legend
He is not worth 12 Million today and I doubt next year either.

Long term deal that gives him money up front so he is set for life. Demoff has a is rock solid on the cap. Sometime you have to pay more than you want to. I would start talks early and get a long term deal done.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Over the past 25 years, and in their first 3 years (like Austin), here is the list of players who have scored 10 or more TDs in a single season.
Includes all skill position players (WR, RB, TE)

JvWfgSf.jpg