Terry Bradshaw on Peyton Manning: If you like losing Super Bowls, he’s your guy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Manning will go down as one of the best QBs ever.

I'm nominating him just on his record and come back alone.

Bradshaw is an egotistical ass which costs him points in my book. I also think he's a jackass and a clown as a commentator, but that means nothing to me. Dude deserves respect as a player, but he's no better than many who won less Super Bowls than him. He doesn't make my all star team.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The thing about Manning is that he likes to strike first and build on a lead, and he's played most of his games that way. He has marginal experience playing in a close fourth quarter game where there's adversity, and you can see him tighten up a bit because he's not used to it. He's a perfectionist, and relies on precise execution and preparation, but I'm not sure how much they prepare for when things don't go as planned.

In contrast, Eli has played in a lot of crappy games where the Giants are losing, he's turning the ball over, and they're down in the 4th quarter. Eli is more relaxed in situations as such, and he relied on that experience when he got hot in the playoffs.

Now, I would like to say that I do not think Eli is better than Peyton and am not suggesting it, so don't make this an Eli vs Peyton debate unless you want to, but that's not my intention. This is just my observation on how these two played those situations.

So Eli is far better than Peyton you say?! :cautious:

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
The thing about Manning is that he likes to strike first and build on a lead, and he's played most of his games that way. He has marginal experience playing in a close fourth quarter game where there's adversity, and you can see him tighten up a bit because he's not used to it. He's a perfectionist, and relies on precise execution and preparation, but I'm not sure how much they prepare for when things don't go as planned.

In contrast, Eli has played in a lot of crappy games where the Giants are losing, he's turning the ball over, and they're down in the 4th quarter. Eli is more relaxed in situations as such, and he relied on that experience when he got hot in the playoffs.

Now, I would like to say that I do not think Eli is better than Peyton and am not suggesting it, so don't make this an Eli vs Peyton debate unless you want to, but that's not my intention. This is just my observation on how these two played those situations.

Excellent observation, I agree. It's surreal how two brothers can be such markedly different players.

I might also posit that Eli has had the benefit of some truly frightening pass rushers on the other side of the ball which have allowed him to play a little looser - knowing that your defense has more of an opportunity to get you the ball back with no harm done might make one less apt to be quite so...meticulous?

But it could be a chicken or the egg type thing whether the environment or the attitude of the brother came first.

Rambition

Rookie
when the pain of listening to terry bradshaw becomes too much, i drown it out with copious amounts of chris "carnival barker" berman.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't know about best QB ever. I would take at least 3 other QB's over Manning if I was starting an alltime team.

Warner
Montana
TJ Rubley

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i've seen peyton lead many comeback victories. the one against the patriots the year the colts won the superbowl is the biggest comeback in playoff history.

still rather have warner.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Peyton can do more with less talent around him than anyone. Where he runs into problems is against teams that have a talented QB AND support of a great D and running game. AKA Seattle

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't disagree with Bradshaw's sentiment. There are very few QB's who elevate their game in the post season. Manning's not one of them. His teams are 11-12 in the post season and his passer rating drops about 10 points from his career numbers. Last year, it was about 20 points. It's hard to praise a guy as the best ever when he plays worse in the post season than the regular season.

When that occurs, I have to question whether that QB has been fattening up his numbers on weak competition.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That is cheap even for that donkey. When you're down, Bradshaw has no hesitation to kick you around. He's been that way towards the Rams since forever. It's not his fault Manning pretty much is the Broncos offense. They have no running game, hence why they scored 8 points in the SB.

moklerman

Warner-phile
That is cheap even for that donkey. When you're down, Bradshaw has no hesitation to kick you around. He's been that way towards the Rams since forever. It's not his fault Manning pretty much is the Broncos offense. They have no running game, hence why they scored 8 points in the SB.
The Broncos have a pretty good team and just won a playoff game with Tim Tebow a couple of years ago so I'm not so sure that Manning was the only reason they had some success.

Like most things in football, the things you do well can also work against you. The Broncos have gone all-in on Manning and the passing game. They chose to focus on that instead of being more balanced and ultimately, it cost them. The passing game helped get them to the big game but they ran up against the wrong team and they didn't have a plan "B".

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It has more to do with the fact that the passing game is less effect in the playoffs due to the difference in penalty calling.

Smash mouth is not dying. There will be copycats as teams always do.

moklerman

Warner-phile
It has more to do with the fact that the passing game is less effect in the playoffs due to the difference in penalty calling.

Smash mouth is not dying. There will be copycats as teams always do.
Then why did Warner's and Rodgers' and Starr's, etc. numbers go up?

But I also don't agree that the officiating gets tighter in the post season. In fact, most seem to think it's gets looser.

RamsFan14

Starter
Hate how there's SO MUCH emphasis on the QB, he's acting like it's not a team game.......... A lot of people today are acting like it's not a team game anymore, it's all about the QB. Seattle was the better TEAM that day, and by far. Everything was working the Seahawks way, not just the QB. It's pathetic someone like Bradshaw would go out on a limb and make a comment like that when his TEAM helped him win those 4 rings.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Hate how there's SO MUCH emphasis on the QB, he's acting like it's not a team game.......... A lot of people today are acting like it's not a team game anymore, it's all about the QB. Seattle was the better TEAM that day, and by far. Everything was working the Seahawks way, not just the QB. It's pathetic someone like Bradshaw would go out on a limb and make a comment like that when his TEAM helped him win those 4 rings.
How is Bradshaw acting like it isn't a team game?

PrometheusFaulk

Starter

But I also don't agree that the officiating gets tighter in the post season. In fact, most seem to think it's gets looser.

But the defenses you play get better.

In part I understand what you are saying, on the other hand, there are a few variables that make Peyton's playoff struggles different from that of the Warners, Rodgers, and Starrs...

One is the degree of difficulty of having to make it through an AFC slate of the Jets, Steelers, Ravens and Patriots defenses in the early and mid 00s without corresponding defensive fire power. Two was lacking tough enough run blockers to make a ground game effective against those teams.

Add it all up and a majority of the time in his Colts playoff days he was passing from a hole with a bullseye on his back against some truly great defenses. The fact that they won a Super Bowl at all after going through that slate with (let's be honest) a much softer defense than what those 4 AFC rivals boasted is pretty impressive to me.

moklerman

Warner-phile
...and, just to continue my earlier point using Bradshaw as an example, his passer rating went from a career 70.9 in the regular season to 83.0 in the post season. He played better when the competition was better and the stakes were higher. He's got the right to talk IMO.

Forgot to mention Montana earlier too. He got better when the stakes and competition got tougher.

Brady, Peyton, Marino, Elway...they didn't.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

That's exactly my point. The officiating gets looser and the receivers have a harder time.

Pass defense actually surpasses pass offense in importance.

And I don't know that Warner's numbers went up. I actually remember how we laid an egg against the Patriots because the played for the pass and Martz for whatever reason didn't really try to rush.

Kind of reminds me of the Broncos and the Seahawks really and it's not a new story.

moklerman

Warner-phile
That's exactly my point. The officiating gets looser and the receivers have a harder time.

Pass defense actually surpasses pass offense in importance.

And I don't know that Warner's numbers went up. I actually remember how we laid an egg against the Patriots because the played for the pass and Martz for whatever reason didn't really try to rush.

Kind of reminds me of the Broncos and the Seahawks really and it's not a new story.
You should look his numbers up then. It will give you a new appreciation for just how special he was.

And I misunderstood your first point about the officiating. I thought you meant the officials started calling games more ticky-tack.

But agreeing that defenses are allowed to get away with more only punctuates the point that the really great QB's take their game to a higher level and the stat champions, might be enjoying their success against lesser competition and situations. Which is what Bradshaw basically said.

Philly5

Rookie
Peyton on those Steelers teams would have been something special.

Right place, right time for Bradshaw. A 50% passer with Swann, Stallworth, Franco, etc... is nothing to get excited about.