Shaun Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hill or Davis against the Hawks?

• Total voters

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
It's not negativity. Hill got injured in a half against Minnesota. He's in his mid 30s and has never been a durable guy. Davis got clobbered today. And the claim that Hill wouldn't have taken those hits is complete BS. Hill might not have taken all the hits...but he would have taken most of them. And I doubt he would have taken them half as well as Davis.

Hill isn't Michael Vick. He wasn't going to escape that pass rush.

+1

This is dead on. Hill has little to no upside. We might as well see what we have in Davis...good and bad. It is the only way to find out.

Athos

Legend
CruiseLaugh.gif

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
You could put any QB in the league behind our current O-Line and he would fail. This has to get fixed sooner or we will be pulling former QBs from their parking lot attendance jobs to play. We had no push, so the run game was non-existent and it was a free-for-all with pass protection, in the second half, and Davis running for his life. We have put so much money into what is basically a sh*tty O-Line. Same goes with the D-Line.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Hill is not part of the Rams' future. We're 1-4 and now, barring some sort of insane run, playing to see what we have on the team going forward. There's no sense in playing anyone over the age of 25.

Hell, I'd start Keenum one or two games later in the season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've tried to talk about the value of an experienced QB over a virtual rookie. A QB who makes very good decisions and accurate throws vs a kid with balls but who doesn't make the great throws. I wasn't proposing a change, but an opportunity to see what was on the bench 2 losses ago.

I have abandoned my argument from getting shouted down.

Now I'm saying, AD played a rookie game, there is nothing to lose seeing if Hill is the better choice. The Rams have NO shot at a winning season without an improvement and I believe that improvement is sitting on the bench.
I was with you before, I too wanted hill, 1st, because of the experience factor, and the improvement you speak of needs to come NOW!

rams2050

Starter
How can any QB excel when the line that is supposed to be buying him some time is fooled by every stunt the other team runs AND is as porous as Swiss cheese? It was a rare moment, after the 14-points of scoring, when Davis wasn't running for his life. And then when he actually threw a good long ball the receivers, apparently, had run the wrong route. I don't know if that is true, but Jon Gruden sure seemed to think that is what had happened, and I will take his analysis over mine any day.

I just don't see how Hill could have been any more effective than Davis was last night. No, he didn't win, but he never gave up either; not like the O-line and, apparently, the receiving corps.

And what happened to Tre Mason? He seemed to provide a real spark. although, I'll bet it had something to do with him being worthless in defending the QB against the pass rush.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Behind this veteran OL any QB would have issues. They are not playing well at all. Davis reallllly reminds me of Favre just the way he slings the ball around. Hill would get killed. Pick your poison.
I would like to know what happened to our O-Line last night! The 1st half they looked great. Then in the second half, THEY PUT JOSEPH IN, INPLACE OF SAFFOLD AND THINGS WENT TO SHIT!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd play Keenum before I played Hill. And by "playing Keenum" I mean, I hope Keenum doesnt see the field....

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
[QU OTE="Pancake, post: 424029, member: 132"]I feel that no matter who the QB is there is go
are you basing this simply on the idea that you think davis avoided taking hits that hill would have? or, that hill isn't as tough as davis? i don't question hill's toughness one bit. as for the former contention, is it as simple as who can run around in the backfield faster or more elusively? i would say it isn't. maybe hill gets the ball out of there faster on lots of those plays and thus doesn't have to run around that way, for example.
Both.
You could be right though, Hill may have the ability to get the ball of before the hits come.

I really doubt ANY qb could have done a good job with the lack of pass protection we had last night. Davis looked like Peyton Manning.............the one from the Superbowl.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't a kid have a bad game these days before you fire him?? Wth man, Hill wouldn't have done jack. Lets get rid of everyone that has a bad game and replace them with bench guys, that will show them.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't a kid have a bad game these days before you fire him?? Wth man, Hill wouldn't have done jack. Lets get rid of everyone that has a bad game and replace them with bench guys, that will show them.

I'm not saying bench AD. I'm saying we should see what we have in Hill.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shaun Hill is an accomplished back up, so that's what he is. Davis backup

fearsomefour

Legend
Rewatching parts of the game Davis missed some open receivers, just did not see them. Cook standing by himself on the sideline about 30 yards downfield in the 4th quarter for one....but, it wouldnt have mattered probably. With the O line playing the way it is Davis may be the better option, but, he will miss something Hill may not. Hell, treat it like preseason at this point, each gets a half. What difference does it make?
Seriously though, Davis until he plays so badly there is no choice....most of the second half last night certainly approached that. See how he bounces back.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Exactly - Hill is a known quantity. We, and everyone knowns, what he is - a veteran backup. He isn't going to make thisa winning team. If Davis bombs out the difference is 4-12 with Hill to 2-14 with Davis. I would rather see if Davis can make something happen and grow into something than just drudge along below average with Hill - cause Hill will NOT make usa winner.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying bench AD. I'm saying we should see what we have in Hill.

Why? He won't be around next season, plus everyone has said the season is over, why not just give Davis the experience. Its not his fault that the niners D is top 5, I still don't know why they stopped running the ball the second half.. or am I just blocking that out of my memory? But yeah, Davis all the way.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It's not negativity. Hill got injured in a half against Minnesota. He's in his mid 30s and has never been a durable guy. Davis got clobbered today. And the claim that Hill wouldn't have taken those hits is complete BS. Hill might not have taken all the hits...but he would have taken most of them. And I doubt he would have taken them half as well as Davis.

Hill isn't Michael Vick. He wasn't going to escape that pass rush.
Jerry,

Let me ask you this, you are one of the guys I think really "gets it" on here, so I would like to think we could have a decent discussion on this topic.

SF has done little blitzing throughout their first 4 games. That being said, I fully expected them to bring blitzes throughout the night, especially after falling behind. A lot of people are pointing fingers at the Offensive line for the pressure, but after being at the game, then re-watching it, MOST of the protection issues came from blitzes where they overpowered TEs (Harkey and Kendricks were brutal), or RBs (Mason twice). In every single case, these blitzes were not well disguised, and Davis just doesn't' seem to recognize them at all. He seems to be f ocusing on where HIS team is lined up, or when to put guys in motion, and spends very little time trying to get a pre-snap read of any kind of the defense.

Maybe its just me, but I have serious doubts that Fangio would have incorporated the high number of blitzes if Shawn Hill were in the game, which in turn, would have limited the number of "hits" on him altogether. I realize there were breakdowns in protections, Long getting beaten clean on the first sack.. Not Davis' fault at all. Those things are gonna happen in every game.

I also think one of Davis' biggest shortcomings, is he doesn't get thru his progressions, and like most young QBs he has a tendency to bail on the pocket way too early. If he doesn't see that first or second target, he just bails and tries to keep extend the play, and usually it ends up with him forcing the ball somewhere. For every "highlight" play he makes doing this, there are 4 "bad" plays.

There were many instances last night, where Davis had plenty of time to get the ball out, and either missed on the throw, or ended up "feeling" pressure and stepped right up into it. These are things I just don't see Hill doing. As ordinary as SF's secondary is supposed to be, Davis just wasn't good enough against them, to give this team much of a chance. And with Seattle coming to town this week, it will be even worse IMO.

I think Fisher has backed himself into a corner here by naming Davis the full time starter. And I don't anticipate him making any changes. But for me at least, I think the next few weeks are going to be very difficult for young Mr. Davis, and we are about to see why he was a week away from being back to coaching at Westmisinster.