Sam's back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
The fellas on Rams Addiction were talking about this. They seem pretty convinced Sam's gone next season. They were saying he'll count for something like $16.5m against next year's cap if he stays whereas cutting him would only cost about $3.5m (if I remember the figures correctly).

I realise that signing him to a more team friendly contract is also an option but can't really argue with the above if those numbers are correct. Its a shame cus he's a very good QB and drafting a replacement (even at the top of the first round) is just as risky in my view as keeping Sam and his knee issue. Of course, Austin Davis could make all of that a moot point but lets not get ahead of ourselves
1000 miles from knowing what Davis is going to be. He has been good for 2 games. A long way to go. Hill, Davis, a draft pick....nothing really beautiful there to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
Another thing to consider at this point, and I'm still a Bradford believer, is does keeping Sam (at this current pay) worth more than going out and picking up a solid FA or two? Provided there will be ones out there.

With two ACL injuries, I think the only way the Rams can bring him back is with a paycut.

Now, if Davis improves, cuts his TOs, and continues to play well, may not matter regardless.
Look at the deals Dalton and Kap got....there is not going to be a viable FA option more than likely....if there was he is not going to come cheaper really. Saving a couple of million for someone like Dalton (or someone of that caliber)....might as well keep Hill, except age they are almost the same guy to me.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The bright spot about Sam's injury is that he didn't re-injure his ACL, only his MCL. I look for him to come back and be our QB. Probably at a reduced price under a new short term "prove it" contract. I think Mark Twain said it best: The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Got my hopes up there, Alan

Athos

Legend
Look at the deals Dalton and Kap got....there is not going to be a viable FA option more than likely....if there was he is not going to come cheaper really. Saving a couple of million for someone like Dalton (or someone of that caliber)....might as well keep Hill, except age they are almost the same guy to me.

I wasn't talking QBs though. I was operating under the assumption of keeping Davis and or Hill, drafting a QB, and spending FA dollars on say, further offensive line stability or safety depth.

fearsomefour

Legend
I wasn't talking QBs though. I was operating under the assumption of keeping Davis and or Hill, drafting a QB, and spending FA dollars on say, further offensive line stability or safety depth.
ah, gotcha. Well, that changes everything. I would assume if Sam is let go then we would keep both Hill and Davis. It would be interesting if Davis ends up having a very good, full season. Once again a QB no one drafted and a guy the team was doing everything it could to keep him off the roster would prove all the "experts" wrong.

A55VA6

Legend
I think Sam is one of those guys that needs a change of scenery. New team, new everything. I hope he recovers and goes on to be healthy for the remainder of his career.

The Rams drafting a guy like Brett Hundley or Marcus Mariota would excite the fuck out of me.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't support any scenario where the Rams rely on Sam Bradford for anything. I think it's good time to go in another direction completely.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I disagree - there is too big of a difference in arm talent between the two.

You're right about the arm talent, but I'd still like to see what Davis can do. If he put together a pretty solid season, it would give the Rams some leverage because we would have a guy who could run the offense. Then we could ask Sam to take a paycut knowing we have at worst a decent stopgap QB should Sam go elsewhere, in addition to having a guy who could man the spot if we draft a QB high next year.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If Sam goes to a team with an Oline that can keep the defense off of his knee and WRs that can catch, then look out!
And the Davis situation is starting to look a whole lot like what happened with Drew Brees in San Diego.
The Rams probably will let them both go and then draft the next Ryan Leaf!

iced

You're right about the arm talent, but I'd still like to see what Davis can do. If he put together a pretty solid season, it would give the Rams some leverage because we would have a guy who could run the offense. Then we could ask Sam to take a paycut knowing we have at worst a decent stopgap QB should Sam go elsewhere, in addition to having a guy who could man the spot if we draft a QB high next year.

Actually depending on how Davis's season goes I'd rather bring back Sam and let those two battle it out in Camp. The Arm strength and accuracy, especially down the field, goes to bradford while davis i would say is more mobile and has better touch on the ball.

But the better part of this situation^ ? You don't need to spend a high pick on a QB. There are areas of this team that need a significant upgrade, depending on whats available in the draft. Positions off the top of my head would be: Significant - C, RG...Or we can take BPA and roll with Davis/Bradford, if Davis continues to play at the same level.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I think, probably because it has been so long, you guys are forgetting how good Bradford really is. Davis doesnt have half the talent Bradford does...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Actually depending on how Davis's season goes I'd rather bring back Sam and let those two battle it out in Camp. The Arm strength and accuracy, especially down the field, goes to bradford while davis i would say is more mobile and has better touch on the ball.

But the better part of this situation^ ? You don't need to spend a high pick on a QB. There are areas of this team that need a significant upgrade, depending on whats available in the draft. Positions off the top of my head would be: Significant - C, RG...Or we can take BPA and roll with Davis/Bradford, if Davis continues to play at the same level.

That would be ideal for sure. I'm confident a healthy Bradford wins that competition, providing his knee doesn't mess with his confidence. But if he isn't confident or gets hurt again, at least we'd know we have another capable guy waiting in the wings.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would love to see what Davis can do with the rest of the season, I see no reason to play Hill unless Davis gets hurt. Hill is not a long tern solution and offers very little more in respect to the 2014 season.

IF Davis can produce against the schedule we are facing bring him back next year to compete with Bradford. Bradford needs to re-work his contract to a prove it kind of deal that benefits both the team and him if he can produce. Draft someone in the first or second round to develop with an eye on taking the reins in 2016 if he can beat out Bradford and/or Davis.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If he is playing good football I would think Demoff would dangle a nice contract in front of him before the season is over. He's never made a lot compared to say a 6 mil a year deal with incentives to make it a lot more.

I've got faith in him, and I think he is going to be really good.

Less than the Dalton deal but inline with the Kappernick deal. Most if all the guaranteed money in first two years. 20 mil.-ish. So yeah about same as Bradford would be at. It's what he can do going forward , not where he's come from.
If he doesn't ask for that he really needs a new agent. If he becomes what we think he can be.
And he should be payed that much, it's only fair.
It's like Quick stepping up this year. No matter he did nothing the first couple years, he keeps improving and then next year lights it up as one of the top WR in the league like I think he can, the Rams are going to have to make him one of the top 5 paid WR to keep him. If not another will.

A good starting QB is going to get paid by some team. There's no free lunches.
Again just IMO I don't know if the team looks at him as a #1 QB going forward. But another team might.

iced

That would be ideal for sure. I'm confident a healthy Bradford wins that competition, providing his knee doesn't mess with his confidence. But if he isn't confident or gets hurt again, at least we'd know we have another capable guy waiting in the wings.
exactly - and we don't have to use a high draft pick on the qb position with two relatively young guys

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Surely 5 years of Sam is enough of a sample size to go off?

After last night I'm back on board with:
USATSI_7644463.jpg

Lord knows he has all the tools.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I got love for Bradford but I cant go through another season with him getting taken out and us being questionable at QB. He's a fantastic QB when healthy but we need a top talent out of next years draft, imo.