Sam's back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
After two ACLs I hope he can still sling it and doesnt get the RG3 syndrome. but i wouldnt blame him if he does. thats gotta really fuck with your head

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The big problem with signing Sam to a new deal will be a signing bonus which I can't see being much below 20 or 30 mill and that would raise his cap hit back to likely at least 10.
It's a damned if ya do damned if ya don't situation and it would be awesome if Austin Davis became what everyone hopes , but JMO his upside is limited ,and if Fisher sticks to his guns with Hill we won't get to see AD against elite defenses unless Shaun gets hurt , which I can't root for.

Either way glad Sam is ambulatory ,will always wish him good health and success unless he is the opponent

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

Just a guess on my part based on nothing but observing how teams handle these things.
Bradford will be extended to a Alex Smith like contract with a little less guaranteed money. 5 years total length-ish. The team had budgeted him in to the cap already for next year. So if they are happy with his meds. they extend him put most of the guaranteed cash in his first year as a bonus pay him less salary and spread the remainder out over the length just in case it doesn't work out. Risk reward.
If he stays healthy the Rams get a bargain compared to extending him after a great year, if it doesn't oh well.
His agent won't want to take a pay cut in the last year he would rather shop him for the guaranteed money he would get. All the matters is the guaranteed amount, and he has none next year.

The Rams to use that cap money efficiently from not bringing Bradford back need to cut him before free agency and the draft. So that's a crapshoot on drafting who they want for sure. Bring Davis and Hill back draft, a guy to develop if Davis isn't long term.

Bradford's leverage is like Alex Smith's, he already been paid a massive contract. He can pick and chose who and where he plays. Unlike Dalton, Kapperdick etc. he's already been paid and set for life. As long as he can pass a physical he will get looks.

Bradford's agent already knows what he can get for him and where the offers would come from, he also knows what the Rams will do.
I'm not a Bradford Mom, he can be improved on. I might rather draft MM, fire Shotty and move on.
But putting it at 90/10 Rams go all in on Bradford and his new contract by February, draft a OT or WR unless there's a regime change. If somehow they cash out Fisher Bradford will be gone.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The big problem with signing Sam to a new deal will be a signing bonus which I can't see being much below 20 or 30 mill and that would raise his cap hit back to likely at least 10.
It's a damned if ya do damned if ya don't situation and it would be awesome if Austin Davis became what everyone hopes , but JMO his upside is limited ,and if Fisher sticks to his guns with Hill we won't get to see AD against elite defenses unless Shaun gets hurt , which I can't root for.

Either way glad Sam is ambulatory ,will always wish him good health and success unless he is the opponent

If Austin has upside above and beyond what we have see so far then he is going to be one hell of a QB.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

I would like it more if Davis was a rookie. Davis becomes the real thing, which would be great, then after next year they have to pay him $$$$$$$$$.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Surely 5 years of Sam is enough of a sample size to go off?

After last night I'm back on board with:
USATSI_7644463.jpg

Winston or bust.

Philly5

Rookie
Hope I am wrong, but at the end of the year I don't think Davis will be much of a factor with Bradford and Rams.

Would have to be reduced $ given the uncertainty. We would still need to be thinking about a longer term plan B. We don't even know if Fisher is back. We don't know if Bradford wants to play, is ready to play, what $ he wants, etc...

Great that Bradford is back around so quickly. The guy is an incredibly hard worker.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have always liked Bradford, I hope he come back BETTER-THAN EVER!!:D

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
More JT;

@jthom1: @scottsimmons01 I certainly could see him back with Rams in 2015. Don't know about the new contract.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
They could sign him without breaking the bank.
Sure.
But if he really comes on like some seem to think he will. I'm not saying Warner-ish. But a really good starting QB.
Why in the name of Roman Gabriel would he not get market value as a FA? If he's really good someones going to pay him if the Rams won't.
Supply and demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sure.
But if he really comes on like some seem to think he will. I'm not saying Warner-ish. But a really good starting QB.
Why in the name of Roman Gabriel would he not get market value as a FA? If he's really good someones going to pay him if the Rams won't.
Supply and demand.

If he is playing good football I would think Demoff would dangle a nice contract in front of him before the season is over. He's never made a lot compared to say a 6 mil a year deal with incentives to make it a lot more.

I've got faith in him, and I think he is going to be really good.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Bradford will be back next year with the rams, I cant help but think how good this offense would be with bradford at qb.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I think you guys are seriously over valuing Davis, he has been better than expected but at the end of the day he is just a guy...

V3

Hall of Fame
$11 mil is way too much, IMO. It should be closer to $5 at most. He can't stay healthy (at a position where health is crucial) and he hasn't proven that he can be a top tier QB. He's shown flashes but that's it. If it's going to cost $11 million, I'd rather spend that on a great LB or OL free agent and stay with Davis and the QB we draft.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
$11 mil is way too much, IMO. It should be closer to $5 at most. He can't stay healthy (at a position where health is crucial) and he hasn't proven that he can be a top tier QB. He's shown flashes but that's it. If it's going to cost $11 million, I'd rather spend that on a great LB or OL free agent and stay with Davis and the QB we draft.

I'm OK with a base of 5 mil and heavily loaded with incentives and I agree on using the money elsewhere if he wants a big chunk.

Athos

Legend
Who knows, Fisher may just be full of crap, or he may know something we don't.

Another thing to consider at this point, and I'm still a Bradford believer, is does keeping Sam (at this current pay) worth more than going out and picking up a solid FA or two? Provided there will be ones out there.

With two ACL injuries, I think the only way the Rams can bring him back is with a paycut.

Now, if Davis improves, cuts his TOs, and continues to play well, may not matter regardless.