Sam I am

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I agree. I don't know why that kind of draft, as unlikely as it is, should be contingent upon not having Sam on the roster though. They can still do it with or without him on the team. It's like having a great car, but somebody wants to give you an equally great car for next to nothing. I wouldn't turn that down. I'd just keep the mileage off the new car and restore it little by little until I actually need it. I hate car-to-football player analogies though, so let me just throw that disclaimer in there. lol.

I just look at is, if we did grab him at #2, then we miss out on trading back and grabbing more picks, and also gives us a player who may, or may not ever be a starter for us. Bradford could come back next year and have an amazing year, and Johhny football would be a great backup obviously, but he still would be a #2 overall riding the bench. Personally i just can't justify that when we have much bigger needs at starting positions and with Bradford having the starting job.

Of course the counter argument would be Sams injury history and if he misses time I would love to have a QB who could play great, and could potentially take over the starting job, and in doing so let go of Bradford and his contract.

A lot of ifs i know. But i still am for the former of the possible futures i presented.

lol i understand the car analogy, but i'd like to add some more to it. It'd be like having a nice car you've had for a while, and know well and love it, and get a second car that is shiny and new and close to free, but having a cheap monthly payment and having to pay insurance, and the thing is, you like your original car so much, you never drive the freeish car ever, unless your beauty breaks down. Then your wife(fans) is telling you to get rid of your first car and drive the low mileage one that is cheaper, and flashier. But all the while you have invested so much into the first one(time and money), you just can't bear to part with it, especially when it is running good, you see no reason for such a shiny 2nd car that sits in your garage most of the time.

lol sorry if i took your car-to-football analogy further, just had to continue it :LOL:

Ramequin

UDFA
Name
Anthony
I just look at is, if we did grab him at #2, then we miss out on trading back and grabbing more picks, and also gives us a player who may, or may not ever be a starter for us. Bradford could come back next year and have an amazing year, and Johhny football would be a great backup obviously, but he still would be a #2 overall riding the bench. Personally i just can't justify that when we have much bigger needs at starting positions and with Bradford having the starting job.

Of course the counter argument would be Sams injury history and if he misses time I would love to have a QB who could play great, and could potentially take over the starting job, and in doing so let go of Bradford and his contract.

A lot of ifs i know. But i still am for the former of the possible futures i presented.

lol i understand the car analogy, but i'd like to add some more to it. It'd be like having a nice car you've had for a while, and know well and love it, and get a second car that is shiny and new and close to free, but having a cheap monthly payment and having to pay insurance, and the thing is, you like your original car so much, you never drive the freeish car ever, unless your beauty breaks down. Then your wife(fans) is telling you to get rid of your first car and drive the low mileage one that is cheaper, and flashier. But all the while you have invested so much into the first one(time and money), you just can't bear to part with it, especially when it is running good, you see no reason for such a shiny 2nd car that sits in your garage most of the time.

lol sorry if i took your car-to-football analogy further, just had to continue it :LOL:
You make good points, but I'm not looking at it as losing out on trading back. I'm looking at it as if it's a bonus pick. We, as fans, are used to only having one pick in the first round, and the second one the Rams have is still fairly high enough to grab a quality player. Plus Snead appears to be pretty good at finding gems later in the draft. If he rides the bench (whoever it is), that's great. That's what you want out of your backup who's slated to be the future starter. Like Favre/Rodgers. We're always going to have bigger needs at other positions, but there aren't any teams that go into the draft not needing anything and can subsequently throw their picks at projected super stars. The idea of filling holes in the draft isn't one I subscribe to -- that's what free agent placeholders are for. Plug a guy in somewhere (like Dunbar or Langford or Giordano) until you're able to draft the next big thing at the position.

What if you wreck your car? Thank god someone gave you a new one for next to nothing. Now all those low monthly payments were worth it.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
You make good points, but I'm not looking at it as losing out on trading back. I'm looking at it as if it's a bonus pick. We, as fans, are used to only having one pick in the first round, and the second one the Rams have is still fairly high enough to grab a quality player. Plus Snead appears to be pretty good at finding gems later in the draft. If he rides the bench (whoever it is), that's great. That's what you want out of your backup who's slated to be the future starter. Like Favre/Rodgers. We're always going to have bigger needs at other positions, but there aren't any teams that go into the draft not needing anything and can subsequently throw their picks at projected super stars. The idea of filling holes in the draft isn't one I subscribe to -- that's what free agent placeholders are for. Plug a guy in somewhere (like Dunbar or Langford or Giordano) until you're able to draft the next big thing at the position.

What if you wreck your car? Thank god someone gave you a new one for next to nothing. Now all those low monthly payments were worth it.

I think this is going to have be chalked up to as a "agree to disagree" situation. Respectfully of course.

I understand you point and take on it, just view it differently. I just don't like drafting a backup player that early in case the starter might get injured.

I'm looking to build this team up with more talent as soon as possible. We are the youngest team two years in a row, possibly three after this next offseason. I want to go into next season with as little holes at the starting positions as possible, and using our first pick on a non starter just doesn't sit right with me personally.

We are in a lose/lose argument over this. What happens if we don't wreck our #1 car, then the 2nd one collects dust in the garage. To many "ifs" for a #2 overall for me.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think this is going to have be chalked up to as a "agree to disagree" situation. Respectfully of course.

I understand you point and take on it, just view it differently. I just don't like drafting a backup player that early in case the starter might get injured.

I'm looking to build this team up with more talent as soon as possible. We are the youngest team two years in a row, possibly three after this next offseason. I want to go into next season with the best talent we can get in draft and filling as many holes at the starting positions with them as possible, and using our first pick on a non starter just doesn't sit right with me personally.

We are in a lose/lose argument over this. What happens if we don't wreck our #1 car, then the 2nd one collects dust in the garage. To many "ifs" for a #2 overall for me.

Ramequin

UDFA
Name
Anthony
Not necessarily. If you don't drive the other car, the re-sale value is very good. Just unload it and get your money (pick) back.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Not necessarily. If you don't drive the other car, the re-sale value is very good. Just unload it and get your money (pick) back.

That is true, but i think Fisher rather have a new talented starter at a position, since this is year 3 of a 5 year contract, rather than a future draft pick from a trade made a few years from now, and that is based on that player getting playing time to showcase his skills, which may or may not happen.

Ramequin

UDFA
Name
Anthony
That is true, but i think Fisher rather have a new talented starter at a position, since this is year 3 of a 5 year contract, rather than a future draft pick from a trade made a few years from now, and that is based on that player getting playing time to showcase his skills, which may or may not happen.
I think so too - that's why I said early on it's probably not going to happen. Unfortunately there's only one way to find out if my plan is a good one. We have to upgrade our car to a DeLorean and take a peek into 2016.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think so too - that's why I said early on it's probably not going to happen. Unfortunately there's only one way to find out if my plan is a good one. We have to upgrade our car to a DeLorean and take a peek into 2016.

Now that, I would have no problem with. That is damn fine car lol. We need to hire Doc Brown as an assistant HC.

Your theory could happen, i can't deny that, as anything can happen in any draft. I wouldn't like it per say, but it also could end up being the best thin got happen as far as we know. The draft is such a fickle beast...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Unless you are there with the team in the locker room you have no idea what these guys think who needs to lead and how effective it is when someone goes off.

Should he? meh. It depends on what he does normally

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Yes! Just think if we would have drafted RG3 with the second overall pick. He would have been on the bench until this year when Sam got hurt. He would have played, and played well because he wouldn't have gotten the knee injury. We then could have traded him for a bunch of picks or kept him.

Ramifications

Yes! Just think if we would have drafted RG3 with the second overall pick. He would have been on the bench until this year when Sam got hurt. He would have played, and played well because he wouldn't have gotten the knee injury. We then could have traded him for a bunch of picks or kept him.

We wouldn't have...

Brockers
Jenkins
Ogletree
Bailey
Stacy
1.2 (Robinson/Matthews/Watkins? Plus possibly another first this year or next if trade down, or day two picks)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
We wouldn't have...

Brockers
Jenkins
Ogletree
Bailey
Stacy
1.2 (Robinson/Matthews/Watkins? Plus possibly another first this year or next if trade down, or day two picks)
And the possibility that history repeats again and we get the second pick next year from it as well