Round 3 Pick 91: John Johnson, S

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How many of our veteran DB's will be UFA's when this season ends?

#1-Mo Alexander
#2-Trumaine Johnson
#3-EJ Gaines
#4-Lamarcus Joyner
#5-Cody Davis
#6-Nickell Robey-Coleman
#7-Troy Hill

Appears that our three safeties will want nice new contracts. !st yr Safety Brian Randolph is coming off his ??? 3rd knee surgery ? Looks like this selection will greatly assist the Ram salary cap situation when it comes to finding $$$ to sign long term contracts with Aaron Donald, Alec Ogletree, Conner Barwin. Plus the following yr with Quinn, Webster & Saffold, Havenstein, Brown, Donnal, Wichmann & so on........

If for some reason (even though unlikely) that Demoff had no salary $$$ to sign any of the pending 2018 Free Agents the Rams 2018 secondary would look similar close to this if using players signed at this moment:

CB- K.Webster/ I. Adams/ D.Wright
CB- M.Jordan/ A.Penton/ K. Peterson
SS- B.Countess/ M.Christian/ I.Johnson
FS- J.Johnson/ B.Randolph/ J.Couplin

Thus we see why the Rams drafted a safety when it was considered highly unlikely that this would happen.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If for some reason (even though unlikely) that Demoff had no salary $$$ to sign any of the pending 2018 Free Agents the Rams 2018 secondary would look similar close to this if using players signed at this moment:

CB- K.Webster/ I. Adams/ D.Wright
CB- M.Jordan/ A.Penton/ K. Peterson
SS- B.Countess/ M.Christian/ I.Johnson
FS- J.Johnson/ B.Randolph/ J.Couplin

Thus we see why the Rams drafted a safety when it was considered highly unlikely that this would happen.

They'll probably sign one of the UFAs. If it's not Trumaine it will likely be Joyner. Either way I think between the two Joyner has a lesser chance of getting comfortable under a big contract, but all that stuff is also going to come down to how well they perform this season.

CB will be drafted next year in order to replace Tru IMO. In that event Joyner probably ends up back at nickel CB and I would hope JJohnson settles in as permanent FS. If Joyner is lost to FA too it's ugly man.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Doesn't matter where LJ plays. His balls skills and hands were questionable at best in college and nothing has changed since.

He had 8 in college, 4 his sophomore year, his last full season as a full time safety IIRC.
Not eye-popping but certainly not deficient.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm too lazy to scroll thru the thread to find out myself, so I'll just ask- has @Boston Ram chimed in on this kid?
Would love your opinion on him BR

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm too lazy to scroll thru the thread to find out myself, so I'll just ask- has @Boston Ram chimed in on this kid?
Would love your opinion on him BR

I posted this somewhere else. He is what is being described right now. Great kid, great attitude, extremely smart (actually wanted to go to BC, because of the academics).

He is a very fluid and good athlete. Does a lot of things good but not great. I like him dont love him. BC had him do a lot of things and he became very versatile. A lot of what he was asked to do was things that dont always show up on the stat sheet.

Summary: He is probably best suited to play the slot IMO. I can see him playing 40+ % of the snaps this year for us. In the right scheme he can be a very productive player. I do think we reached a little on this. I thought he was closer to a 5th rounder but would of been fine if we took him in the 4th.....All that being said, and the more I think of it, I can see this being a solid pick, because it does appear to be a scheme pick and they will not ask him to do things he cant do.