Round 3 Pick 91: John Johnson, S

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Then my question is who will the Cb's be? Obviously Tru will be one... I'm thinking if not safety he'll be the other CB.

Wade Phillips' man from Denver, ... Kayvon Webster. Add EJ Gaines, Michael Jordan, probably another late pick. I don't see Troy Hill making it past camp.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Wade Phillips' man from Denver, ... Kayvon Webster. Add EJ Gaines, Michael Jordan, probably another late pick. I don't see Troy Hill making it past camp.

Add in Nickell Rodney-Coleman, plus Joyner probably playing a little bit of both... we seem to have some good depth now in our defensive backfield.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/858204925557223424

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...2017-draft-picks-analysis-for-every-selection

Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

Round 3, No. 91 overall: John Johnson, S, Boston College

My take: Johnson has good instincts in coverage, and you can’t have enough of those guys in such a pass-happy league. He has solid ball skills and soft hands, with an ability to produce interceptions and has experience as both a free safety and a slot corner.

Johnson had three interceptions in each of his last two years with the Eagles and really improved his stock as a senior, adding 77 tackles and nine pass breakups, then impressing at the Senior Bowl. At 6-0, 208 pounds, he’s athletic and fluid for the position, but needs to improve on his routes to the ball and his physicality as a tackler.

How he fits: The Rams’ two starting safeties -- Maurice Alexander and Lamarcus Joyner, who is transitioning from slot corner -- are slated to be unrestricted free agents next offseason. So is their most experienced backup, Cody Davis.

The Rams needed to address depth in their secondary with this draft, and Johnson potentially gives it to them at two different positions (Trumaine Johnson, E.J. Gaines and Nickell Robey-Coleman are the Rams’ looming free agents at cornerback). Johnson also excelled as a special-teams gunner and can help the Rams there, too.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0649849752426386126-4

Third-round pick John Johnson said he "knew there was a shot" the Rams would draft him, "but I wouldn't say they were on me hot." How does he see himself? "I think I fit best as a safety, although I think I have a corner body type. I came into Boston College as a corner. I like covering man-to-man, and I like covering zone."

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Burn all of the gear that has gold on it. Get that man some blue and white or preferably some blue and yellow! If Wade and Fassell like him, good enough for me.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I know it's just a throwaway scouting report from some irrelevant guy who can't get a job with a team, but did anyone else notice that his listed weakened don't include anything about his cover skills? Everything listed in weaknesses is about his tackling. Hopefully they can coach up his tackling and his coverage is on point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How many of our veteran DB's will be UFA's when this season ends?

#1-Mo Alexander
#2-Trumaine Johnson
#3-EJ Gaines
#4-Lamarcus Joyner
#5-Cody Davis
#6-Nickell Robey-Coleman
#7-Troy Hill

Appears that our three safeties will want nice new contracts. !st yr Safety Brian Randolph is coming off his ??? 3rd knee surgery ? Looks like this selection will greatly assist the Ram salary cap situation when it comes to finding $$$ to sign long term contracts with Aaron Donald, Alec Ogletree, Conner Barwin. Plus the following yr with Quinn, Webster & Saffold, Havenstein, Brown, Donnal, Wichmann & so on........

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wonder if this is the DB that caught Snead's eye at the Senior Bowl. Snead was saying about some DB that was doing things that Snead didn't know he could do and it really intrigued him.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was a great pick IMO.

Johnson could cover big slot WRs or TEs - or could play safety and let Joyner and NRC play the slot - and then with all on the field, would be easier to disguise coverages

Memphis Ram

Legend
Best part of the selection is that he provides the team someone else in the secondary that can be a ballhawk or at the very least catch the freaking football.

For all the talk about the Rams pass rush over the years, I really expected more interceptions than what we've seen.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wade understands the importance of turnrovers, something GW didn't seem too concerned with. Knowing which guys in your backfield have ballwawk skils, and acquiring guys that have can make a big difference iin wins. I think that's another reason Wade is moving LJ to FS. He never really had a chance to make picks playing the slot. Rams D was near the bottom of the league in ints the last few years, a fact I'm sure Wade was aware of and plans to change.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Doesn't matter where LJ plays. His balls skills and hands were questionable at best in college and nothing has changed since.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Doesn't matter where LJ plays. His balls skills and hands were questionable at best in college and nothing has changed since.

His size has always been my thought of why.
Curious of how he will look at FS if he plays there at all ?
Troy Hill is going to improve a lot this year imo.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Troy Hill and Blake Countess we could definitely see a entire new back end next year. That's why I wanted them to pick up David Johnson Fs from Richmond. I think he has the potential to be better then our actual draft pick but they both offer the versatility and the ball skills that Wade wants

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
CNa6xUAUcAAJijY.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/john-johnson?id=2558183

John Johnson (S)
HT: 6'0" WT: 208LBS.

POSITION: S

SCHOOL: Boston College

ARM LENGTH: 32"

HANDS: 9 7/8"

Overview
Johnson's career with the Eagles ended on a high note, beating his home-state team, Maryland, in the Quick Lane Bowl. He had 12 tackles (11 solo) in the contest, capping off an excellent senior season (77 tackles, 2.5 for loss, three interceptions, nine pass breakups). In 2015, Johnson got on scouts' radars as a first-year starter (63 tackles, 1.5 for loss, three INT, three PBU). He may have done so as a sophomore, but missed the last five regular season games of the year with an arm injury before coming back for the bowl game (25 tackles on the year, two PBU). The second-team all-state pick from Maryland contributed in all 12 games as a freshman, picking up four tackles and a fumble recovery.

COMBINE STATS
  • 40 YARD DASH: 4.61 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 14 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 37.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 119.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.72 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.18 SEC

ANALYSIS
Strengths

Has starting experience as cornerback and safety. Can play high safety or cover the slot. Plays with smooth hips and above average mirror and match footwork for the safety spot. At ease with directional changes in space. Adequate instincts in coverage. Will shade his coverage from high safety based on play development and quarterback's glances. Winning ball skills with very good ball tracking and soft hands. Interceptions don't just come his way, he goes and gets them. Has agility to take zig-zag downhill track to running backs. Bounces into run fits with lively feet and a tackle-ready base. Special teams monster with 30 tackles over the last three seasons on cover teams.

Weaknesses
Tends to take passive routes to the ball when he's the last line of defense. Leverages to the sideline while drifting backwards rather than closing downhill. Features a small delay at top of his transition when triggering. Needs to improve physicality as a tackler. Feet deaden near point of impact. Needs to drive through his target and finish with his feet.

Draft Projection
Round 3-4

Sources Tell Us
"He's really caught my eye out here. Had to go look him up with one of our scouts to find out more about the kid. Way more athletic than a lot of the safeties you see out at this game." -- NFC secondary coach

NFL Comparison
Aaron Williams

Bottom Line
Ascending defender with the experience, athleticism and ball skills to play as a high safety or in man coverage. Johnson is well above average as a ball-tracker and has the soft hands to finish at the catch-point against receivers. He has decent size but won't be a banger as a tackler, however, his ability in coverage has NFL personnel men buzzing as a potential early starter in the league
He's another Kid that fits what Snead/McVey are looking for, Great Vert. and Really nice short shuttle and 3-cone Drill's! Something the Coaches and Staff seem to really be paying close attention to this year!!(y);):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think this kid starts as a rookie....and the writing is on the wall for Joyner.

I'd be a little nervous if I was Brian Randolph too....and Cody....Davis.
I agree, But let's not " put the Cart-before-the-Horse" the young man still has to EARN the spot! Let the Fight begin!!

arena.png

And let the BEST man Win!!